Borderline dominant for 13 of 16 quarters played.

Integrity28

The first quarter against Cleveland, and the first 2 quarters against Philly we looked like a middling team. Not bad, not good. Just meh. The rest of the football we've played over the first 4 games of this season has been close to dominant.

This is a team with flaws. However, I've seen more good than bad so far, and it's early. We've seen talk of bad challenges, limitations from the QB position, poor performances form the OL, or from special teams... but overall, this team is a strong team. When one part struggles, another part looks to be pretty competent in picking up the slack so far.

Since the new CBA we've seen that some teams take the first quarter of a season to gel and thrive. I feel like we're still working those kinks out, and still playing some really excellent football at the same time. 

We need to hope that our guys that are nicked up, like Decker, Harris, Leonard and Pryor all get healthy... and that some of the other kinks continue to get worked out over the coming weeks.

This is the best I've felt about Jet football in a long time.

Congrats on a good win today over my most hated team.

I think it's more like had a chance to be dominant.  We leave too many points on the field.  Two of the games should/could have been complete blowouts - but the limitations at QB will be the undoing of this team.

One thing I will say....Decker and Ivory make a world of difference.  We easily beat the Eagles with those two...

I think it's more like had a chance to be dominant.  We leave too many points on the field.  Two of the games should/could have been complete blowouts - but the limitations at QB will be the undoing of this team.

One thing I will say....Decker and Ivory make a world of difference.  We easily beat the Eagles with those two...

So, we're going to argue the semantic difference between "borderline dominant" and "had a chance to be dominant"?

Awesome.

The limitations at QB has been a problem for this team since we had Vinny. Right now, it's not costing us wins. Some of you guys need to pull your heads out of bizarro world, and realized that there are a LOT of things that could hypothetically happen on EVERY play... if they don't happen, then it's okay to cheer. Sitting around and warning each other of the impending doom that will come from all of the "non-intercepted interceptions" is ******* ridiculous.

in the salary cap era of the NFL in theory all teams should be relatively close.  

w/o a top-flight QB this Jets team just isn't going to dominate games but should be in just about all of them - which is about all you can ask for.   So far it's been a great season and very pleasant surprise.    Obviously tons of room for improvement and I don't think this team has hit its ceiling yet.  

the last few seasons have been over by thanksgiving.   at this pace we should be watching through new years.     

I said it before. A first year head coach is establishing a good base. This team will really become something special down the road. Too bad we don't have a QB. We just need a QB. I hope Petty is our guy. Once we find our Trent Dilfer, we are going to the Superbowl in a few years. 

wont be dominant with sh*tzpatrick at qb

Won't be dominant with any QB on the current roster at QB. 

You let me know when we acquire Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady for a 7th rounder. In the meantime, I'm going to be over here... being psyched that we're 3-1 with a journeyman QB who, despite his shortcomings and meh stats, is not causing us to lose... he's just keeping us from winning by lots and lots.

I truly hope at some point this season, our fan base learns to win with more grace. The fear of hypotheticals and the make believe demand for perfection is laughable. It reminds me of the clown fans up in New England.

Agreed Integrity. 

Looking ahead, after the bye, we get the Redskins at home, which is a matchup I like although I said that about the Eagles.  4-1 (hopefully) going into Gillette.  That's something any of us would have signed for in pre-season right after 'the punch'.  In fact, the Raiders game is shaping up to the one of the most interesting ones.  They look pretty good this year and finally have what looks like a legitimate passing game.  After that, we have a string of very winnable games if things keep up the way they are going so far. 

Hard not to like what we see so far.

We're 3-1 going into the bye with a home game against washington on deck in two weeks. Not too shabby.

It's like Bowles said after the week one win. (I'll paraphrase) "hey we're still figuring out who we are. The trick is to win while you're doing it." 

That says it all. All the changes and crazy stuff that has happened this offseason to the Jets and we're still 3-1.  3-0 in the AFC. 1-0 in the AFC east heading into the bye with arguably our best Defensive player set to come back.

I'm pretty happy right about now.  We're going to continue to improve guys. 

So, we're going to argue the semantic difference between "borderline dominant" and "had a chance to be dominant"?

Awesome.

The limitations at QB has been a problem for this team since we had Vinny. Right now, it's not costing us wins. Some of you guys need to pull your heads out of bizarro world, and realized that there are a LOT of things that could hypothetically happen on EVERY play... if they don't happen, then it's okay to cheer. Sitting around and warning each other of the impending doom that will come from all of the "non-intercepted interceptions" is ******* ridiculous.

Actually there's a big difference between "could have been" and borderline.  It wasn't close to dominant - they were games that could have been lost....Those aren't dominant.  

And I think you need to stop telling fans how they should feel.   We're all fans here - when I watch I cheer and glad to see a win...but just because I don't see it all as rainbows and lollypops doesn't mean my head is in Bizaro world.  I would say take your head out of the sand and realize this team, while 3-1, is by no means a dominant one..

There's certainly reason for excitement, but tempered enthusiasm is a reasonable position to take.

the CBA point is a very good one, the last 2 years I have felt they need 4 games to get into football shape

I am encouraged because the team had a ton of adversity from losing AA and Amaro to IR, sheldon and milliner to long abscences, the whole Geno thing, and a Monday Night game, a London game, lots of guys getting knicked up, and they are 3-1 with very spotty and inconsistent QB play

We found out the Offense can answer the bell and respond to the opponents TD.  We found out they can run the clock out.  We found out Rogers and Bowles won't go into a shell with a 13 point lead, they will come after you.

Now we get to see them healthy and rested.  I'm glad the Skins won, I am really sick of desperate wounded animals, lol

Agreed on all accounts. Only thing that tempers my excitement is we have played some bad teams 

We were 4-12 last season.  Even though we made a lot of improvements over the offseason, many would have still argued we were one of those "bad teams".  Not to mention the Colts, Eagles and Dolphins were all expected to be playoff teams/contenders this season, and even the Browns were 7-9 last year and on the rise. 

This is a different team when we have the lead.  I love the opening pass to Marshall; that really softened the Dolphins for a healthy dose of Ivory.  The problem is when we fall behind because that is when Fitz gets exposed.  We have left so many points on the field these first 4 games; I hope they can improve on this over the bye week.  Fitz and D. Smith HAVE to get on the same page.  I think Owusu should be back in the next few weeks and he should help a lot in making our offense more explosive and less predictable.  Considering the fact that Richardson should also be back, this team has a chance to take it to the next level. 

We were 4-12 last season.  Even though we made a lot of improvements over the offseason, many would have still argued we were one of those "bad teams".  Not to mention the Colts, Eagles and Dolphins were all expected to be playoff teams/contenders this season, and even the Browns were 7-9 last year and on the rise. 

the reality is that the Jets have played 4 bad teams and are 3-1.   There really is no way to tell what this team is based on the quality of opponent so far.  

Actually there's a big difference between "could have been" and borderline.  It wasn't close to dominant - they were games that could have been lost....Those aren't dominant.  

And I think you need to stop telling fans how they should feel.   We're all fans here - when I watch I cheer and glad to see a win...but just because I don't see it all as rainbows and lollypops doesn't mean my head is in Bizaro world.  I would say take your head out of the sand and realize this team, while 3-1, is by no means a dominant one..

There's certainly reason for excitement, but tempered enthusiasm is a reasonable position to take.

Every game "could be lost".

The reality is that the Jets controlled the flow of the game, and they dictated the outcome, for 13 of 16 quarters. So, while they didn't score the 457 points that they "left on the field" that the armchair QBs here think they should have, the certainly never forfeited the momentum or upper-hand in those moments.

That is domination. Being able to control the game that much, while still working out our kinks is that much more impressive.

You know what, you're right... there is a big difference between "borderline domination" and "could have been". Borderline means exactly what I said, and "could have been" means that if the Jets came out on the plus side of every single hypothetical outcome from every single play... which is an extension of petulant and unrealistic expectations.

I'm not all "lollipops and rainbows". I'm realistic. I'm saying that this team, despite still working out kinks, has manhandled the competition for most of the season so far.

You're actually the unrealistic and naive sounding one that expects perfection in an imperfect sport. You're not advocating tempered enthusiasm, despite the possibility that you've convinced yourself you are. You're advocating the fear of what could have happened, instead of the appreciation of what did happen.

the reality is that the Jets have played 4 bad teams and are 3-1.   There really is no way to tell what this team is based on the quality of opponent so far.  

The Patriots built a dynasty on thumping bad teams all year long, and then being just as good as their record said they were in the end.

The Packers have only put up 17 points on SF this week. It's crazy, I wonder if they'll count the win given the amount of points they left on the field against shut a sh*tty defense. I think it's Tolzien time.

We helped make them look bad. The Colts played in the AFC championship game last year and were thought to have improved themselves at the skill positions during the offseason.  The Browns were 7-9 last year -- much better than we were.  The Dolphins were 8-8 last year and were the fashionable pick to win the division this year.  Not that any of them are great teams but you can only play the teams on the schedule and 3-1 going into the bye is pretty good.

We helped make them look bad. The Colts played in the AFC championship game last year and were thought to have improved themselves at the skill positions during the offseason.  The Browns were 7-9 last year -- much better than we were.  The Dolphins were 8-8 last year and were the fashionable pick to win the division this year.  Not that any of them are great teams but you can only play the teams on the schedule and 3-1 going into the bye is pretty good.

are you seriously trying to claim that the browns, colts, eagles, and dolphins are good?    

the Jets can't control their schedule but they have not played a quality team yet.   The Redskins will probably be the best team they've played all season and the Redskins won't sniff the playoffs this year.     

Going into the season the first 4 games looked brutal.  It turns out that those are 4 of the easiest games on the schedule.  

are you seriously trying to claim that the browns, colts, eagles, and dolphins are good?    

the Jets can't control their schedule but they have not played a quality team yet.   The Redskins will probably be the best team they've played all season and the Redskins won't sniff the playoffs this year.     

Going into the season the first 4 games looked brutal.  It turns out that those are 4 of the easiest games on the schedule.  

You're right:  We suck.  I should just be depressed that we are doing better than expected until we beat the Pats or the Seahawks.  Classic glass half-empty thinking.

You're right:  We suck.  I should just be depressed that we are doing better than expected until we beat the Pats or the Seahawks.  Classic glass half-empty thinking.

so lame bruce.   show me exactly where I said the Jets suck.   show me where I said anythign other than the Jets have played 4 weak opponents.  

so lame bruce.   show me exactly where I said the Jets suck.   show me where I said anythign other than the Jets have played 4 weak opponents.  

You are right, you never said that.  I guess I did a poor job of making my point that you can only play the teams that are on your schedule and I'm happy with 3-1 and 1-0 in the division, not matter who we played. You win some games and you start thinking you are a good team and maybe are better prepared to take on the top teams when they come up on the schedule.

Archived