NFL games in singapore

jgb

Tomorrow I take off for Singapore to live permanently. 12 hours ahead so looks like I'll officially be joining the late night crew!

If anyone has any experience in Singapore--especially where to catch NFL games--let me know!

thanks!

Was gonna' start a thread for the Jets vs. Raiders meet in Philly...I take it you won't be making it?

Possible. I'm going for a week then will be back for a few weeks might not leave til after nov. 1.

Sounds like an interesting life change, good luck to you.

thanks!

Good luck that move voluntary or forced?

the extradition authorities finally caught up with me

Tomorrow I take off for Singapore to live permanently. 12 hours ahead so looks like I'll officially be joining the late night crew!

If anyone has any experience in Singapore--especially where to catch NFL games--let me know!

thanks!

I saw the Saints vs Colts Superbowl at a place called the American Club.

I don't remember if we went on someone's membership or what, wish I had more info.

You are moving to a beautiful country, man. I'm really jealous.

Love it there, dude.

Set up a plant there some years ago and have jammed with some very good Chinese blues/rock musicians while in country.

Safe, clean, phenomenal western food - and no scraping ice off your windshield - evah! 

Enjoy it man.

thanks!

Welcome to the late night crew. And what the heck is going on out in Singapore? I know a couple people that moved out there for professional reasons a few years back. Is that the same for you? Business must be booming out there. Well, atleast if  you have young children or plan to have any while you're out there they'll be able to learn Mandarin. From the looks of things that language will be important in the business world. 

Good luck with the move and be safe. Oh, and if you're taking Singapore airlines you will not be disappointed, I promise you. Spacious seating, good food and absolutely beautiful airline stewardesses. 

thanks!

More like early morning crew.  It kind of sucks.

I spent a year in Korea and that is an hour ahead of Singapore.  Sunday's  early games were on really early....like 3 to 4 AM.   The second set and later games were actually nice...but you are at work.

Welcome to the late night crew. And what the heck is going on out in Singapore? I know a couple people that moved out there for professional reasons a few years back. Is that the same for you? Business must be booming out there. Well, atleast if  you have young children or plan to have any while you're out there they'll be able to learn Mandarin. From the looks of things that language will be important in the business world. 

Good luck with the move and be safe. Oh, and if you're taking Singapore airlines you will not be disappointed, I promise you. Spacious seating, good food and absolutely beautiful airline stewardesses. 

Taking Qatari which is second best to singapore air. Thanks man

Just remember to stay out of politics. The government censors everything, from newspapers to the Internet, and political opponents are imprisoned and sometimes executed. 

my politics align nicely with military juntas ;)

More like early morning crew.  It kind of sucks.

I spent a year in Korea and that is an hour ahead of Singapore.  Sunday's  early games were on really early....like 3 to 4 AM.   The second set and later games were actually nice...but you are at work.

My boss is american and a football nut. We both have flatscreens in our office and he is cool with games being in during work

Sar was there some years ago and liked this place... At least I think it was Sar??

Orchard Towers Singapore.

Orchard Towers SingaporeOrchard Towers is a somewhat infamous entertainment mall located on Orchard Road in Singapore.

It is actually an 18 storey office building although the first five floors are occupied by the bars and restaurants etc.

During the day the building functions as a retail and office style building, but it is is best known as an entertainment complex famously described as the "Four Floors of Whores". However there is far more to it than just bars and girls!

For example, on the third floor you can eat at a Thai kitchen that produces probably the best Thai food in the country or visit one of the many tattoo parlours or have a suit made at a tailors or shop in the many boutiques".

It is true that most visitors are here for the bars but you will also see groups of local Singaporeans, often females in groups, just out to have some fun.

Singapore has several legal red light districts and although Orchard Towers is probably the best known it is actually not listed as an official one as per the others.

During the day, Orchard Towers is like any other mall on the mile long road of this high end shopping street although this changes dramatically at night.

Taking Qatari which is second best to singapore air. Thanks man

my politics align nicely with military juntas ;)

My boss is american and a football nut. We both have flatscreens in our office and he is cool with games being in during work

That is good.  I watched the Arizona/Yankees WS Game 7 from my bosses office.

Good news, I visited Singapore for a little over a month back in Jan 2008 when i was a college student. It was for an internship type thing. yeah, this guido gets around

Pros:

1. Friendly people. Lot of different cultures there, if you're into that. And unlike here, their neighborhoods don't feel like they're segregated as much. They all speak English, albeit with a different (hard to understand at first) accent and with some unique slang...i.e. saying 'la' to end every sentence: Where you going, la? You alright, la?...and so on. Most people are Chinese - probably like 70% - and the remainder are mostly Malaysian or Indian (the dot type). Everyone was helpful

2. Great subway system. They call it the 'MRT'. Miles better than our NYC subway; cleaner, more efficient, cheaper fares, and without any bums pissing on the seats. Transportation in general, really solid. Its not as big a city, you can walk around if you feel like it. Great airport, makes JFK and LGA look like a sh*theap.

3. Malls. They are everywhere. I'm not a big shopping guy, but you'll see them all over the place. Its basically a city of malls. Anything you get here, you'd probably find there altho their sense of fashion is kind of different.

4. Great nightlife, bars, clubs. Lot of good ones around Marina Bay area. You can get some easy kills if you're American. Prostitution is also legal, if you're into that sort of thing...i figured you'll ask me via PM, so i'll just give you this information right now: if you go to Geylang road after 11 PM , there's an army of them lined up for a mile along the block...cars drive by slowly and pick-up whoever they like. And no, i didn't partake in any of these activities, i was there for the restaurants recommended by my local hosts, great food there; they stay open real late.

Watch NFL games at 'Chilis'.

5. Chicken and rice. Holy sh*t, i couldn't get enough. It was like, $3.50 USD, at any food court. It's lean too, you can stay jacked all year eating that stuff. Food in general is awesome over there.

6. Check out Sentosa beach, its really nice. They got this aquarium with huge sharks and stuff

Cons:

1. Laws. This could be a pro as well, i mean, there's no crime at all. But still, don't ever get caught with drugs. You'll get lashed, they don't **** around with that sort of thing. Not sure if you heard the story of some American embassy kid who had to write Bill Clinton to get him off the hook. No clue how one gets a joint here. Also no chewing gum? WTF. I heard you needed a prescription to buy that sh*t over the counter at pharmacies. Weird. Then again, these laws - and the obscenely high fines that go with them - are the reason why this place is always clean as a whistle. You'll get the whole run-down when you're there

2. The weather. Now, i'm all about a nice tan...but holy mother of ****, does it get hot over there. I was sweatin my nuts off. Basically walked around in a tank-top all day whenever i wasn't working. Luckily the trains/buses and every place you can think of has awesome air conditioning...but still

Its all i can think of right now, i'll add more if something comes to mind, good luck and fly safe...that's a long ass flight btw, lose the shoes and pants for flip flops and sweats.

Good news, I visited Singapore for a little over a month back in Jan 2008 when i was a college student. It was for an internship type thing. yeah, this guido gets around

Pros:

1. Friendly people. Lot of different cultures there, if you're into that. And unlike here, their neighborhoods don't feel like they're segregated as much. They all speak English, albeit with a different (hard to understand at first) accent and with some unique slang...i.e. saying 'la' to end every sentence: Where you going, la? You alright, la?...and so on. Most people are Chinese - probably like 70% - and the remainder are mostly Malaysian or Indian (the dot type). Everyone was helpful

2. Great subway system. They call it the 'MRT'. Miles better than our NYC subway; cleaner, more efficient, cheaper fares, and without any bums pissing on the seats. Transportation in general, really solid. Its not as big a city, you can walk around if you feel like it. Great airport, makes JFK and LGA look like a sh*theap.

3. Malls. They are everywhere. I'm not a big shopping guy, but you'll see them all over the place. Its basically a city of malls. Anything you get here, you'd probably find there altho their sense of fashion is kind of different.

4. Great nightlife, bars, clubs. Lot of good ones around Marina Bay area. You can get some easy kills if you're American. Prostitution is also legal, if you're into that sort of thing...i figured you'll ask me via PM, so i'll just give you this information right now: if you go to Geylang road after 11 PM , there's an army of them lined up for a mile along the block...cars drive by slowly and pick-up whoever they like. And no, i didn't partake in any of these activities, i was there for the restaurants recommended by my local hosts, great food there; they stay open real late.

Watch NFL games at 'Chilis'.

5. Chicken and rice. Holy sh*t, i couldn't get enough. It was like, $3.50 USD, at any food court. It's lean too, you can stay jacked all year eating that stuff. Food in general is awesome over there.

6. Check out Sentosa beach, its really nice. They got this aquarium with huge sharks and stuff

Cons:

1. Laws. This could be a pro as well, i mean, there's no crime at all. But still, don't ever get caught with drugs. You'll get lashed, they don't **** around with that sort of thing. Not sure if you heard the story of some American embassy kid who had to write Bill Clinton to get him off the hook. No clue how one gets a joint here. Also no chewing gum? WTF. I heard you needed a prescription to buy that sh*t over the counter at pharmacies. Weird. Then again, these laws - and the obscenely high fines that go with them - are the reason why this place is always clean as a whistle. You'll get the whole run-down when you're there

2. The weather. Now, i'm all about a nice tan...but holy mother of ****, does it get hot over there. I was sweatin my nuts off. Basically walked around in a tank-top all day whenever i wasn't working. Luckily the trains/buses and every place you can think of has awesome air conditioning...but still

Its all i can think of right now, i'll add more if something comes to mind, good luck and fly safe...that's a long ass flight btw, lose the shoes and pants for flip flops and sweats.

Thanks bud I'm married so #4 is a no go for me but the rest is solid intel

You're not kidding. The customs card I filled out to get in had written in big red bold letters: "DEATH PENALTY TO DRUG TRAFFICKERS" and I read online that they hanged a dude who had a pound of reefer in his scooter. Good thing I never visited here in college. They got beer so I'm good as far as substances go at this stage in my life!

Archived