cut / trade geno smith ? ? ?

kelly

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So while many would like nothing more than to part ways with the former second-round pick this year, it just doesn’t make sense to do so.

The team hates him and sees zero future in him as being part of the long term plan, 'he's cheap' is simply not a good enough reason to keep him.

With your backups the best scenario is having guys who you hope develop into a #1 in time, since Petty has had a year under his belt he steps into #2 and we draft another guy.

Lol @ Petty being the #2. 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Pro: we save 1 m cap

con: most of the 1 m goes to his replacement

pro: the new #2 gets to develop faster.

con: Geno might have continued to develop.

pro: Geno has experience

con: Geno has experience

bottom line: IMHO unless Mac snags us a Kap or a GR3 type, Geno stays.  However if by some miracle Geno has any trade value then he is gone. 

I just hope RG3 or Kap don't determine our offseason moves. 

12 hours ago, slats said:

Jets won 10 games last year and, in the New York media market, there wasn't a single story all season or since about there being any problems with Geno in the locker room. Problems seem to be created by the fans who hate him. 

Problem is he SUCKS. And yes the Jets won 10 games last year and he had NOTHING to do with those 10 wins but did lose a game which BTW cost us dearly.  He was no darling on the Jet team as you make him out to be.  No one came to his aid when Ik popped him in the jaw.  He created his own problem, not the fans who cant stand him.  The sooner this prima dona is gone, the better the team will be for it.  Good ridden to another one of Idziot's (primary) blunders.    

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Isn't the ultimate goal the Super Bowl and hoisting the Lombardi?  

Fitzpatrick has never won a playoff game. 

I play to win, I don't settle on almost, 

The QB position is part of a team, it doesn't control everything.  Dan Marino is one of the best QBs I've ever seen and he never was on a team that won a Super Bowl. You talk like one poison controls everything, it doesn't.  Fitzpatick gave the Jets a great season. He threw for more TDs than another QB in a single season and came within a hair of the most yards ever by a Jets QB.  I'm always in favor of upgrades, if Mac brings in a better QB, great! But don't day Fitzpatrick didn't make the playoffs, the correct statement is the Jets didn't make the playoffs.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Let's be honest, the only reason anyone can possibly have for wanting to keep Geno at this point is because we're Jets fans. Somewhere, deep in your gut, you truly believe that if the Jets let him go, ONLY if they let him go, he'll go on elsewhere to have a hall of fame career because J-E-T-S. And I get that. That's fine. Just say that. But don't sit here and type other words. It's embarrassing.

Actually believing that anyone is worried Geno will become a HOF player after leaving us is pretty embarrassing. 

Think about it

10 hours ago, j4jets said:

I just hope RG3 or Kap don't determine our offseason moves. 

I'm sure they are both out of our price range but you have to admit signing either of these two would make for an interesting season.  Neither would be as distasteful and stomach turning as Tebow or Vick.

I'd still want Fitz to start and have one of these as the backup/starter in waiting.  Relax thought, since IMHO there is <10% of signing either.      

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The QB position is part of a team, it doesn't control everything.  Dan Marino is one of the best QBs I've ever seen and he never was on a team that won a Super Bowl. You talk like one poison controls everything, it doesn't.  Fitzpatick gave the Jets a great season. He threw for more TDs than another QB in a single season and came within a hair of the most yards ever by a Jets QB.  I'm always in favor of upgrades, if Mac brings in a better QB, great! But don't day Fitzpatrick didn't make the playoffs, the correct statement is the Jets didn't make the playoffs.

Fitzpatrick threw 3 INTs in a row ending our season 3 times in 1 game if that were Geno Smith this board would explode sick and tired of Fitz apologists the guy has never won a damn thing 10 games didnt get us in playoffs. NOT GOOD ENOUGH

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Let's be honest, the only reason anyone can possibly have for wanting to keep Geno at this point is because we're Jets fans. Somewhere, deep in your gut, you truly believe that if the Jets let him go, ONLY if they let him go, he'll go on elsewhere to have a hall of fame career because J-E-T-S. And I get that. That's fine. Just say that. But don't sit here and type other words. It's embarrassing.

I don't like Geno, and don't particularly want him, but I just think that from the team's point of view the pragmatic thing to do is to let him compete for a job this summer - unless there really is an undercurrent of locker room problems that somehow didn't make their way to the local press. 

He's shown a couple flashes but, yeah, overall he's sucked. But you have to look at your alternatives - most of them suck, too. Geno only counts $1.6M against next year's cap, with $500k in dead money if he's cut. Are you gonna find a comparable replacement for that kind of money? Bottom rung guys like Whitehurst, Cassel, and Schaub make $2M/year. I don't see any of them as any great improvement, do you? 

My preference, and I think it's yours, too, is for the team to draft a QB in the first couple rounds this year. They do that, and Geno is almost certainly the odd man out. Which will be fine with me. But if they don't land a QB until the later rounds (if at all), then it makes sense to carry Geno at least thru training camp. That's all. 

19 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't like Geno, and don't particularly want him, but I just think that from the team's point of view the pragmatic thing to do is to let him compete for a job this summer - unless there really is an undercurrent of locker room problems that somehow didn't make their way to the local press. 

He's shown a couple flashes but, yeah, overall he's sucked. But you have to look at your alternatives - most of them suck, too. Geno only counts $1.6M against next year's cap, with $500k in dead money if he's cut. Are you gonna find a comparable replacement for that kind of money? Bottom rung guys like Whitehurst, Cassel, and Schaub make $2M/year. I don't see any of them as any great improvement, do you? 

My preference, and I think it's yours, too, is for the team to draft a QB in the first couple rounds this year. They do that, and Geno is almost certainly the odd man out. Which will be fine with me. But if they don't land a QB until the later rounds (if at all), then it makes sense to carry Geno at least thru training camp. That's all. 

If they sign Fitz, I don't see how they let Geno compete with him. Fitz won't get huge money, but he is going to get more than he did. If they think low enough of Fitz that Geno gets to compete, I don't think they can justify what it will take to sign Fitz. Only chance Geno gets to compete is they don't bring Fitz back. I think there is a better chance of Geno getting cut than competing for a starting job.

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick threw 3 INTs in a row ending our season 3 times in 1 game if that were Geno Smith this board would explode sick and tired of Fitz apologists the guy has never won a damn thing 10 games didnt get us in playoffs. NOT GOOD ENOUGH

The topic is not if Fitz is "good enough"  its if Geno sucks so bed he should be cut.  That answer is yes, enough of this mental midget, get rid of him.

21 hours ago, Mainejet said:

The following is what this article omits and it's all the reason as to why he needs to go....... "TEAM HARMONY" Having that a$$hole on the team does nothing more than distract the players from the task at hand. His mere existence in the locker room and the players knowing the kind of person he is, IS THE PROBLEM. It's going to be a joyous occasion for the NYJ, and the fans for that matter, when he is finally gone.

Cut him, trade him, Send him swimming down the Nile River with a foot ruler and require him to measure the entire length, just so long as he is no longer a JET!!!!!

Suck a monster distraction the team won 10 games, should have made the playoffs and had the best offense they've had in the last 20 years.

He distracted Fitz to a career year, he distracted Marshall and Decker so much they were best WR duo since Toon and Walker and he distracted Ivory had a career year and distracted to Powell to look like a different player. 

28 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

If they sign Fitz, I don't see how they let Geno compete with him. Fitz won't get huge money, but he is going to get more than he did. If they think low enough of Fitz that Geno gets to compete, I don't think they can justify what it will take to sign Fitz. Only chance Geno gets to compete is they don't bring Fitz back. I think there is a better chance of Geno getting cut than competing for a starting job.

I meant compete for a roster spot, not for the starting job. I'll be shocked if Fitz isn't resigned and handed the starting job. 

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Suck a monster distraction the team won 10 games, should have made the playoffs and had the best offense they've had in the last 20 years.

He distracted Fitz to a career year, he distracted Marshall and Decker so much they were best WR duo since Toon and Walker and he distracted Ivory had a career year and distracted to Powell to look like a different player. 

I said this earlier, he tends to run after making these kinds of statements.  Nowhere was it written, hinted that Geno was a problem.  Anytime I saw him on the sideline he looked just like any other backup QB rooting the team on etc.  The team was as tight as a team could be, seems like a really good lockerroom, everyone seems to really like being here.

Yet because Geno isnt a starter anymore he needs to go.  Because everyone knows your backup has to be a pro bowl starting caliber QB.  Not, ugh, a backup.  So make shlt up to justify cutting your 2nd best QB 

I meant compete for a roster spot, not for the starting job. I'll be shocked if Fitz isn't resigned and handed the starting job. 

Why shouldn't he be allowed to compete for the starting job?

You really think Fitz can improve on his performance last year? That is highly doubtful.

Matt Flynn was handed the starting QB position for the Seahawks in 2012 heading into training camp and the rest is history.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You really think Fitz can improve on his performance last year? That is highly doubtful.

Matt Flynn was handed the starting QB position for the Seahawks in 2012 heading into training camp and the rest is history.

If something like that is going to happen on the Jets, that's the way it'll happen. Fitz'll be handed the starting job - and then someone else will have to demonstratively outplay him. 

Do you guys even listen to what you're saying?? You honestly think problems with team harmony are going to be written about in the NY papers? Bowles more than likely gave the team the gag order some time after the incident back in preseason. Yet you guys seem to think the players are going to come right out and speak about their real feelings about the team, NY, the players? LOL

What's obvious that came out of the altercation, was the fact that most of the players do not like Geno Smith. You can say what you want, but that is most certainly what I saw. Cutting Geno Smith frees them of having to deal with him any more.

I know for a fact that Brian Winters has hated Geno Smith since the day he joined the Jets. I thought it was pretty obvious Revis didn't think much of Geno. I'd bet, truth be told, that MOST of the players would have some choice words for him if they were willing to speak freely.

So if you guys want to keep the POS then have at it. But IMO that will not be the way this thing plays out. The Jets are going to resign Fitzpatrick, Petty will get promoted to 2nd string, MacCagnan drafts a QB to develop in the draft.

Geno gets the boot but good. It's long overdue. And as to locker room chemistry? Team chemistry, team harmony all developed in SPITE of Geno Smith and certainly not because of him. With the aid of some new positive faces in the locker room like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brandon Marshall, guys that led by example, certainly not some f*cking punk that beats up old men and gets knocked the f*ck out because he's a cheap prick.

If something like that is going to happen on the Jets, that's the way it'll happen. Fitz'll be handed the starting job - and then someone else will have to demonstratively outplay him. 

And you made the point in your earlier post on why the Jets won't cut him this year; his salary and cap hit are negligent.

25 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Trollers gonna troll

37 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Do you guys even listen to what you're saying?? You honestly think problems with team harmony are going to be written about in the NY papers? Bowles more than likely gave the team the gag order some time after the incident back in preseason. Yet you guys seem to think the players are going to come right out and speak about their real feelings about the team, NY, the players? LOL

What's obvious that came out of the altercation, was the fact that most of the players do not like Geno Smith. You can say what you want, but that is most certainly what I saw. Cutting Geno Smith frees them of having to deal with him any more.

I know for a fact that Brian Winters has hated Geno Smith since the day he joined the Jets. I thought it was pretty obvious Revis didn't think much of Geno. I'd bet, truth be told, that MOST of the players would have some choice words for him if they were willing to speak freely.

So if you guys want to keep the POS then have at it. But IMO that will not be the way this thing plays out. The Jets are going to resign Fitzpatrick, Petty will get promoted to 2nd string, MacCagnan drafts a QB to develop in the draft.

Geno gets the boot but good. It's long overdue. And as to locker room chemistry? Team chemistry, team harmony all developed in SPITE of Geno Smith and certainly not because of him. With the aid of some new positive faces in the locker room like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brandon Marshall, guys that led by example, certainly not some f*cking punk that beats up old men and gets knocked the f*ck out because he's a cheap prick.

If it weren't for Geno we probably were in the Super Bowl because the harmony would have been unstoppable.  

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Yes TX .... As a matter of fact I do think he can be better than he was this season. This offense is still a work in progress. It is still not complete with weapons for Fitz to utilize. The Jets need at least one more WR, TE, one or more Olinemen, and I'd truly love for them to get another FB.

The arrow is pointing straight up for Fitz. I do have very grave concerns about whether he can beat the Bills in Buffalo, but he also never had a full compliment of weapons.

And here's the thing, all the additions that Mac might make will only help the team. If Fitz falls flat on his face in 2016 we still have Bryce Petty waiting in the wings and those weapons will aid him when he gets his chance. But for now, based on Fitz performance in 2015, the Jets should commit to him 100% for the time being.

Yes TX .... As a matter of fact I do think he can be better than he was this season.

Not sure what (other than optimistic delusion) leads you to believe he will be better next season.

10 out of 11 seasons he was an average to below average NFL QB who has never played one playoff game. He could have put that to an end week 17 against the Bills, but he laid a huge egg.

Also, he won't be playing another soft schedule like last year and no way the weather will be as mild as it was in NY Oct-Dec as it was last year.

7 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Still an idiot I see. At least we don't have to look at their terrible pic of you and the deer. You really just need to go away again. "Know for a fact" ? yeah, right. 

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Still an idiot I see. At least we don't have to look at their terrible pic of you and the deer. You really just need to go away again. "Know for a fact" ? yeah, right. 

What was wrong with the picture of the deer?

Thought it was a great looking buck.   Fish was pretty cool to.

And all the Geno lovers come out of the woodwork.  

Ok, question, no other team would trade even a 7th round pick for Geno, why would you want any player on your team that you could not even get a 7th round pick for?

If anyone says we can get a 7th or better then my answer will be get it and do it fast. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

And all the Geno lovers come out of the woodwork.  

Ok, question, no other team would trade even a 7th round pick for Geno, why would you want any player on your team that you could not even get a 7th round pick for?

If anyone says we can get a 7th or better then my answer will be get it and do it fast. 

In this Geno hating circle jerk of a thread anyone that does not hate Geno is a "Geno lover". 

Archived