Trade down?

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Rangers9 said:

I would love to do it and get someone later in the first round or early 2nd like Ryan Kelly. Maybe a deal with Denver if Lynch is still on the board at 20 and they really wanted him. 

I like Lynch as a developmental prospect and I think the Jets do too. But I would not put it past Mac AT ALL to trade down if Lynch was there at 20 and a team came in with a good offer. In fact, I'm starting to think that Mac really favored one of the top 2 QBs (hence the trade-up attempt) and now that both are out of reach, he may prefer a trade down scenario, rather than taking Lynch at 20, reaching for a position of need or taking BPA at a position where the Jets have solidified starters.  

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't remember the last time the jets traded down in the 1st round (Parcells the year we drafted Farrior?). Maybe this would be a good year to do it considering some team might want Pax Lynch and we need to recoup picks.  

Don't forget about the infamous Doug Jolley trade!

2 minutes ago, nyjets782 said:

Don't forget about the infamous Doug Jolley trade!

Oh right.  I don't think it was as infamous as people think though.  IIRC, I think we traded down like ~6 spots to acquire Jolley.  Not a good trade but some people believe we traded our #1 pick for Jolley (which isn't true).

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Oh right.  I don't think it was as infamous as people think though.  IIRC, I think we traded down like ~6 spots to acquire Jolley.  Not a good trade but some people believe we traded our #1 pick for Jolley (which isn't true).

was actually an excellent trade.  the problem was the guys we were targeting, bash the picks and the guys we want but the trade itself was excellent.  we moved down a little, got a vet TE and still drafted the 2 guys we wanted(Miller and Nugent) plus got more picks which helped us get Kerry Rhodes who was very good for a few years.  Bash the scouting that led to Miler and Nugent all you want, can't bash the actual trade.

18 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I like Lynch as a developmental prospect and I think the Jets do too. But I would not put it past Mac AT ALL to trade down if Lynch was there at 20 and a team came in with a good offer. In fact, I'm starting to think that Mac really favored one of the top 2 QBs (hence the trade-up attempt) and now that both are out of reach, he may prefer a trade down scenario, rather than taking Lynch at 20, reaching for a position of need or taking BPA at a position where the Jets have solidified starters.  

Mac said the other day that he'd like to add more picks and the only way to do that is trade down or deal players (like Geno for example) for picks. But I could see him even trading up if someone like one of the OLs falls to 15. It should be an interesting night.

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac said the other day that he'd like to add more picks and the only way to do that is trade down or deal players (like Geno for example) for picks. But I could see him even trading up if someone like one of the OLs falls to 15. It should be an interesting night.

I really love how tight-lipped he has been throughout. And the fact that they tried to move to #1 and could not, the fact that they need to trade Wilk but 'are not actively shopping him', the fact that Fitz is still unsigned, and the fact that the Jets select in the bottom half of the draft, all adds to the intrigue.

We could see multiple trades from the Jets on draft night. I wouldn't be that surprised if a deal was already in place to move Wilk but both teams want to wait and see how the 1st round plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets trade down from 20. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets trade down from 20 and then move up to get a certain player that slips to the 2nd round but is out of reach at the Jets pick. 

Should be a fun night. Unless, of course, they trade out of the 1st round and we all have to wait one more day to see who they select.      

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

was actually an excellent trade.  the problem was the guys we were targeting, bash the picks and the guys we want but the trade itself was excellent.  we moved down a little, got a vet TE and still drafted the 2 guys we wanted(Miller and Nugent) plus got more picks which helped us get Kerry Rhodes who was very good for a few years.  Bash the scouting that led to Miler and Nugent all you want, can't bash the actual trade.

What?!?

They traded down nearly a full round from one spot before Aaron Rogers was taken, and got all of one lousy season out of Doug Jolley where he had 29 catches and one whole touchdown, and then they drafted a kicker with the Raiders pick. It's little wonder that Bradway was removed from his GM duties the year after that "excellent trade."

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets passed on Heath Miller and got Doug Jolley instead.

Heath Miller is still playing well.

The Steelers, Packers and Ravens are teams that seem to every year pick players that we pass on who turn out to be good.

23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you would like this trade. lol. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

What?!?

They traded down nearly a full round from one spot before Aaron Rogers was taken, and got all of one lousy season out of Doug Jolley where he had 29 catches and one whole touchdown, and then they drafted a kicker with the Raiders pick. It's little wonder that Bradway was removed from his GM duties the year after that "excellent trade."

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets passed on Heath Miller and got Doug Jolley instead.

Heath Miller is still playing well.

The Steelers, Packers and Ravens are teams that seem to every year pick players that we pass on who turn out to be good.

Again guys, the trade itself was a good one.  we weren't taking Heath or Rodgers, if we were amnd thought we could get them by moving down then it wouldn't have been a good trade.  The jets wanted Justin Miller and Mike Nugent, they got both guys after moving down.  AGAIN, criticize the scouting to want those players but the trade itself was an excellent one.

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Man, you're really homerific......

Homer_simpsonwoohooo.gif

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Again guys, the trade itself was a good one.  we weren't taking Heath or Rodgers, if we were amnd thought we could get them by moving down then it wouldn't have been a good trade.  The jets wanted Justin Miller and Mike Nugent, they got both guys after moving down.  AGAIN, criticize the scouting to want those players but the trade itself was an excellent one.

They traded down nearly a full round for Doug Jolley and Mike Nugent. You're really doubling down on it being an "excellent" trade? Wow. 

Again, I tend to doubt that even the Jets themselves felt that way, being that Bradway was demoted the following season. 

Doug Jolley trade below.  I was wrong.  The Jets traded down 21 picks (not 6).  Ouch!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JollDo00.htm

April 21, 2005: Traded by Raiders with 2005 2nd round pick (47th overall, Mike Nugent), 2005 6th round pick (182nd overall, Cedric Houston) and 2005 6th round pick (185th overall subsequently traded, Chad Owens) to Jets for 2005 1st round pick (26th overall subsequently traded, Chris Spencer) and 2005 7th round pick (230th overall subsequently traded, Matt Cassel)

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what is not to like? please explain.  on the trade itself, not who we took.

how on earth can you evaluate a trade without taking into account the player we traded for? its asinine to even suggest evaluating a trade without evaluating who we traded to get

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If Lynch is there you take him, if not possible trade down.  I think we will traded down at some point in the draft even if we don;t in the 1st round.  Mac will move down in the 3rd and get back a 5th and a 6th type of thing.

I hate trading down and getting extre 5-7 rounders, that you end up cutting anyway.

Love adding extra 2-3 rounders though 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You are 100% right.  We traded the equivalent of a 2nd rounder to get him (I think we moved back more like 14 spots), but I only mentioned it because that is the last time I can remember them trading down.

6 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I hate trading down and getting extre 5-7 rounders, that you end up cutting anyway.

Love adding extra 2-3 rounders though 

Yeah everyone hates that.

Pick better players in those rounds is the solution.  Also this team actually has a bit of a fit for some late round picks.  That being punter, perhaps kicker and return guys.

Last year the Jets traded down 12 spots in the 3rd, still got Mauldin, picked Jarvis Harrison on the 5th and also got Devire Posey and Stacy out of the transaction in the end.  Now Posey was a throw away but not bad overall value for moving down 12 spots.

3 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

What player is a team after the Jets going to trade up for? I doubt the Jets trade down this year. Unless Lynch is there & the Jets don't like him I can't see it happening. 

Teams trade up to the top of the second round to grab a player all the time? why not a move up into the bottom of the first? There are players who are talented that will fall (a lot of talented D lineman this year.) With this injury thing Myles Jack has about a .0001% chance of falling down to the #20 spot and a team might be interested in moving up for him. If Taylor Decker is still on the board a team might want to move up for the last "first round tackle".

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

The player we got sucked compared to the players we could have taken in the 1st round.

that's great but the trade itself was excellent.  would you have been happier staying put and drafting Justin Miller?

2 hours ago, slats said:

They traded down nearly a full round for Doug Jolley and Mike Nugent. You're really doubling down on it being an "excellent" trade? Wow. 

Again, I tend to doubt that even the Jets themselves felt that way, being that Bradway was demoted the following season. 

I will triple or quadruple down, it was an excellent trade- AGAIN the trade itself.  the players we took not so good but would Jet fans have been happy taking those guys w/ our 1st and 2nd rd picks and then not getting Rhodes?  

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

how on earth can you evaluate a trade without taking into account the player we traded for? its asinine to even suggest evaluating a trade without evaluating who we traded to get

it's very simple, try to pay attention.  Going into that draft all the rumblings were we loved Justin Miller and Mike Nugent and that in the first 2 rounds we were targeting both.  We traded down, acquired a starter and multiple picks and still got those players.  Those players weren't very good so again bash the scouting all you want but the trade itself was fantastic.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Yeah, it was an excellent trade for the RAIDERS.  They traded #47 and a backup TE (313 yards/2 TDs the previous year) to get to #26.  

The only people who think that was a good trade are you and Terry Broadway.  The Jets got fleeced.

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah, it was an excellent trade for the RAIDERS.  They traded #47 and a backup TE (313 yards/2 TDs the previous year) to get to #26.  

The only people who think that was a good trade are you and Terry Broadway.  The Jets got fleeced.

Doug Jolley started 13 games in 2004 for oakland so how was he a backup? let's not forget the pair of 6th rd picks we acquired which we used to move back up and select Kerry Rhodes who made 2nd team all pro but yeah Oakland fleeced us.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Doug Jolley started 13 games in 2004 for oakland so how was he a backup? let's not forget the pair of 6th rd picks we acquired which we used to move back up and select Kerry Rhodes who made 2nd team all pro but yeah Oakland fleeced us.

The Jets got fleeced.

They gave up No. 26 (700 points) and a 7th rounder for

No. 47 (430 points)

No. 182 (18.6 points)

No. 185 (17.4 points)

Doug Jolley (scrub TE who put up 300 yards the year before)

That is a fleece job if I've ever seen one.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

that's great but the trade itself was excellent.  would you have been happier staying put and drafting Justin Miller?

I will triple or quadruple down, it was an excellent trade- AGAIN the trade itself.  the players we took not so good but would Jet fans have been happy taking those guys w/ our 1st and 2nd rd picks and then not getting Rhodes?  

it's very simple, try to pay attention.  Going into that draft all the rumblings were we loved Justin Miller and Mike Nugent and that in the first 2 rounds we were targeting both.  We traded down, acquired a starter and multiple picks and still got those players.  Those players weren't very good so again bash the scouting all you want but the trade itself was fantastic.

like your qb evaluation skills......your trade evaluation skills suck as well. the trade sucked

8 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets got fleeced.

They gave up No. 26 (700 points) and a 7th rounder for

No. 47 (430 points)

No. 182 (18.6 points)

No. 185 (17.4 points)

Doug Jolley (scrub TE who put up 300 yards the year before)

That is a fleece job if I've ever seen one.

you won't convince him.....he still thinks mark sanchez is a great qb

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't remember the last time the jets traded down in the 1st round (Parcells the year we drafted Farrior?). Maybe this would be a good year to do it considering some team might want Pax Lynch and we need to recoup picks.  

sheldon.gif

Archived