What we learned from preseason game #1

Jetster

6 minutes ago, Awesumtenor said:

He's been injured...it happens. That doesn't help him  make the team, though.  The NFL does not provide the luxury of mitigation where rosters are concerned; it is wholly Darwinian in nature. You either produce on the field  or you are replaced. Even if you do produce if your production can be replaced by a younger, cheaper player you're hitting the  free agent market whether you think you should be or not and whether it's fair or not. There are younger, cheaper DBs who are not playing the same kind of tentative ball Milliner showed last night. It doesn't matter if he's looked good in camp if he cant take it to the field when the lights are on.

Milliner's window is closing fast. If he plays the second preseason game the way he played this, he will probably be an early cut.

You seem to be intimating that I'm in someway making excuses for him & im not. Just stating facts, practice in NFL football is not real football. We might not have any 2nd CBs that can check Robinson (Coleman? Skrine?) who knows?

Im willing to give Miliner more than 1 quarter as long as he doesn't end up carted off the field. I'm sure it takes live game action to get through the rust & tentativeness after being insured so often. Let's see how it plays out, obviously if his play continues on this path he'll be relegated to backup status. I doubt they cut him outright.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

The Jets will keep Skrines, but I would feel so much better if he was the nickel guy and not #2.  The Jets can't be feeling confident that Milliner will be that guy, so they must be thinking M Williams is the first cb off the bench, playing outside in nickel packages with Skrines going over to the nickel.

The question is can M Williams get it done in that role?

I'll give them this much, which is they're giving Milliner every shot to be that guy this year. He's the highest-potential young CB on the team, so if any of them step up he would theoretically perform the best of them all. Yeah he had a tough assignment, and it's not like he was badly juked by a scrub WR, but he's not making the strongest case for himself as a starting outside CB this year.

The first thing you wrote is pretty much exactly what Bowles said back in April at the town hall Q&A. That seems to be his fallback position if no one behind Skrine does anything to alter that plan. Skrine IIRC wasn't much of an outside CB with Cleveland but was often very effective in the slot. That doesn't mean his career is destined to be a continuation of that, but it does seem that's where he's most suited, and it would be in our best interest to keep him there and have someone else step it up opposite Revis.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Its whats hurting this teams success blown draft picks who should be paying dividends and many are not, 

I disagree the draft as a whole is a crapshoot, the Jets miss on just as many picks as other quality teams. Imo what's different is the other teams have consistency and competence in the from office. I believe the Jets may be finally heading in that direction under MIke McCags and company. We can't continue the cycle of starting over every 3-4 years.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

and Ben Ijilana?

I have him cut for Qvale. Jets keep the following backups: Dozier (OG/C), Harrison (OG), Qvale (OT), Shell (OT)- the youngsters that can still develop into starters. That's just my take. These guys (and their potential) are too valuable to let go. Ijalana is a vet who's never been able to solidify himself into a starting role. He also had 2 ACL tears and is one more knee injury from retirement. Maybe if we don't keep 4 QBs, he gets that extra roster spot. But keeping Petty is more valuable than keeping Ijalana- IMO. 

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I disagree the draft as a whole is a crapshoot, the Jets miss on just as many picks as other quality teams. Imo what's different is the other teams have consistency and competence in the from office. I believe the Jets may be finally heading in that direction under MIke McCags and company. We can't continue the cycle of starting over every 3-4 years.

how many #1 picks the Jets made in the last 10 years are still on the team or in the NFL 

26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I have him cut for Qvale. Jets keep the following backups: Dozier (OG/C), Harrison (OG), Qvale (OT), Shell (OT)- the youngsters that can still develop into starters. That's just my take. These guys (and their potential) are too valuable to let go. Ijalana is a vet who's never been able to solidify himself into a starting role. He also had 2 ACL tears and is one more knee injury from retirement. Maybe if we don't keep 4 QBs, he gets that extra roster spot. But keeping Petty is more valuable than keeping Ijalana- IMO. 

Didn't he start at RT last night in place of Breno? If the Jets are thinking of cutting him wouldn't Qvale be starting? Or did I get my guys confused?

6 hours ago, Rexorcism said:

Devin Smith should also be nervous

Devin Smith isn't going anywhere any time soon they won't throw last years second round pick away and hopefully having some good young talented WRs on the roster will motivate him. His biggest problem last season was that the balls were not thrown deep enough for him.

Devin Smith isn't going anywhere any time soon they won't throw last years second round pick away and hopefully having some good young talented WRs on the roster will motivate him. His biggest problem last season was that the balls were not thrown deep enough for him.

Agreed, last thing I would want them to do is give up on him...I still think he should be nervous, tho.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'll give them this much, which is they're giving Milliner every shot to be that guy this year. He's the highest-potential young CB on the team, so if any of them step up he would theoretically perform the best of them all. Yeah he had a tough assignment, and it's not like he was badly juked by a scrub WR, but he's not making the strongest case for himself as a starting outside CB this year.

The first thing you wrote is pretty much exactly what Bowles said back in April at the town hall Q&A. That seems to be his fallback position if no one behind Skrine does anything to alter that plan. Skrine IIRC wasn't much of an outside CB with Cleveland but was often very effective in the slot. That doesn't mean his career is destined to be a continuation of that, but it does seem that's where he's most suited, and it would be in our best interest to keep him there and have someone else step it up opposite Revis.

Right.  As you've no doubt noticed, some or even many have already concluded Milliner is a bust.  I would only agree if he truly is so fragile that he can't stay on the field.  But that's not the same as saying he can't play if healthy.  I winced along with everyone else at those plays he gave up.  But with you I agree it makes complete sense for the CS to see if he can get it done.  It was not all bad, but he's got to make a better case for himself.    Because what you said in your second paragraph is also the case.  Skrine at #2 may be acceptable, but not optimal.  It would be much better if they could rely on someone else to play the outside.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn't he start at RT last night in place of Breno? If the Jets are thinking of cutting him wouldn't Qvale be starting? Or did I get my guys confused?

Nope, you are correct. But final cuts don't need to be made yet. I'm looking at it like- who would the Jets be willing to part with? Harrison? Dozier? Qvale? Surely not Shell? I think they would rather hold on to the young guys rather than keep Ijalana. JMHO. 

23 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

The Jets are not going to cut Petty if he is playing like that.  If they keep 4 Qb's, I won't be surprised, but how they do that will be hard with all the talent at wideout they do not want to risk some other team taking before they get to the practice squad.

So maybe they don't keep 4 Qb's after all.

I think we need a phantom injury for Hack and Anderson.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I learned that no matter what realities are presented to us by performance, some people will just never accept them.

I also learned that the chicken little is as strong as ever in our fan base.

What realities were presented in the pre season game against the Jaguars? 

I learned that tiny dancer answers the bell.  he got rocked on the goal line in practice, then the very next day was popping people all over the field.  the jags game he started slow, then he started flashing.  Once he trusts what he is seeing, look out

I learned that petty has a nice arm and is developing nicely, but I would need to see him take snaps under center in short yardage to really trust him.  I think he was 100% shotgun

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I learned that midgets CAN play LB.

4 tackles, 2 for losses and a sack.  Nice start

Excuse me, but I think the PC term that preferred here is "Tiny Linebacker".  Please try to get it right. 

On August 12, 2016 at 2:33 PM, joewilly12 said:

how many #1 picks the Jets made in the last 10 years are still on the team or in the NFL 

Since 2006

D'brickashaw Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Gholston, Keller, Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson, Pryor, Leonard Williams, Darron Lee. 

Gholston out of football, Ferguson retired, Keller career ending injury. everyone else on a roster (Coples on Rams, Wilson on Saints IR). 8 still on team  

For comparison, Patriots

Laurence Maroney,  Brandon Meriweather, Jerod Mayo, McCourty, Nate Solder, Chandler Jones, Hightower, Easley, Malcolm Brown.

Maroney out of football in 2010, Meriweather out of football. Mayo out of football, Easley with the Rams ...4 still on team.

just sayin

On 8/12/2016 at 3:32 PM, bealeb319 said:

Funny thing is Jalin Marshall is his ex-roomate, and best friend.  Smith is why Jailin signed with the Jets.  

Just now, flgreen said:

Funny thing is Jalin Marshall is his ex-roomate, and best friend.  Smith is why Jailin signed with the Jets.  

Forte probably signed because of Marshall...its good when your players like playing with each other. hopefully Jalin and Devin play well together instead of against eachother.

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2016 at 8:54 AM, Jetster said:

Jags will be a top 5 offense this year

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

On 8/13/2016 at 9:59 AM, Larz said:

what is the weakness ?  bortles threw for 35 TD's last year and now they get Chris ivory

nailed it Larz! 

Great, thank you for bringing up my most embarrassing statement ever! Lol!

Bortles has literally lost his MIND! It's crazy what has happened to him. His throwing motion is completely screwed up, throwing balls in the dirt at wide open guys, it's mind boggling how bad his mechanics have gotten. 

You could see it in his face he's completely lost out there & has a vacant look. Wild stuff. Dude has some really good receivers too. I thought being a Jet fan was tough.

Lets pray that Hack isn't another Bortles with the inaccuracy, that would really suck!

Archived