Fitz having MRI on knee Monday

Joe W. Namath

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lupz27 said:

He is already injured thou, so it's just kinda hoping it's enough to keep him from center.

He's injured, but considering he came back in and played, there's a good chance it isn't all that serious.

I'm not gonna sit here and hope that it's a serious injury

2 minutes ago, King P said:

He's injured, but considering he came back in and played, there's a good chance it isn't all that serious.

I hear ya.  I'm just hoping it's a minor injury that one would normally play through, but the Jets use as an excuse for Bowles to back track from saying Ryan is our QB.

20 minutes ago, King P said:

I've seen quarterbacks come back and play on broken legs.  McNabb did it in a playoff game.

Doesn't matter, Bowles a has stated numerous times that he does not make decisions until he watches the game and speaks to his staff on Monday. I fully expect to hear an announcement by Tuesday that Petty or Hackenberg are our new starter. This decision should have NOTHING to do with an injury, but rather a benching.

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Doesn't matter, Bowles a has stated numerous times that he does not make decisions until he watches the game and speaks to his staff on Monday. I fully expect to hear an announcement by Tuesday that Petty or Hackenberg are our new starter. This decision should have NOTHING to do with an injury, but rather a benching.

That isn't happening and I wouldn't hold out too much hope that Hackenberg is even active for a game this year. As long as Fitz is healthy, he's getting another game. After the bye week is the best time to start Petty. 

16 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

As long as Fitz is healthy, he's getting another game. After the bye week is the best time to start Petty. 

Disagree.

If we're going to transition to Petty, you let him play at 1PM on a Sunday against the west coast Rams coming east on a 4 game losing streak.

You don't give Petty his first start against Bill Belichick on Sunday Night Football.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You don't need film to see 13 interceptions and a 68 QB Rating.  

68 QB Rtg is the lowest in the NFL and to put that in perspective, Brooks Bollinger had a higher QB Rating in his 9 Jet games than Fitzpatrick is having this year.   

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Disagree.

If we're going to transition to Petty, you let him play at 1PM on a Sunday against the west coast Rams coming east on a 4 game losing streak.

You don't give Petty his first start against Bill Belichick on Sunday Night Football.

SAR I

My line of thinking is it would be two-three weeks of first team reps versus just one. It also would be against a weaker defense. The Rams defense is no joke. Their defensive line is capable of putting a hurting on whomever the QB is. The opponent doesn't really matter though. It's more about the reps and the timing of when he's actually ready. He got a quick look today. Maybe the second half of the LA game if it goes poorly in the first half. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

My line of thinking is it would be two-three weeks of first team reps versus just one. It also would be against a weaker defense. The Rams defense is no joke. Their defensive line is capable of putting a hurting on whomever the QB is. The opponent doesn't really matter though. It's more about the reps and the timing of when he's actually ready. He got a quick look today. Maybe the second half of the LA game if it goes poorly in the first half. 

I'm trying to follow your thought process as you contradict yourself in a single post.  

a) Petty needs 2 weeks of first team reps

b ) avoid rams defense

c) play petty in 2nd half vs. rams  'no joke' defense without any practice reps.   

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I guess I'm thinking it really doesn't matter in the end.  A winning season is out the window, and the quarterback isn't going to make much of a difference with the issues we have everywhere else.

The schedule that prevented us from putting in Petty from the beginning comes back to bite us again now.  After the Rams, 3 of our next 4 are nationally televised 8:30 night games at home, it's just not the best thing for Woody Johnson to throw Petty to the wolves and turn 3 winnable games into 3 probable losses in front of an empty stadium.  Tough spot for our owner.  If Petty faces the Rams and plays well and gets the W, the Patriots game will be a full house, fans will come to support the kid and see what he's got. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I guess I'm thinking it really doesn't matter in the end.  A winning season is out the window, and the quarterback isn't going to make much of a difference with the issues we have everywhere else.

The schedule that prevented us from putting in Petty from the beginning comes back to bite us again now.  After the Rams, 3 of our next 4 are nationally televised 8:30 night games at home, it's just not the best thing for Woody Johnson to throw Petty to the wolves and turn 3 winnable games into 3 probable losses in front of an empty stadium.  Tough spot for our owner.

SAR I

I hope when you say "tough spot," it is meant to be a fact and not with any sympathetic overtones. 

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I hope when you say "tough spot," it is meant to be a fact and not with any sympathetic overtones. 

Certainly.  I'm trying to put myself in Todd Bowles and Woody Johnson's shoes knowing that we have 5 of our next 7 at home, 5 of those 7 winnable games against average opponents, and 3 of 4 on national TV on a Sunday, Monday, and Saturday at 8:30pm.

As a fan, I want to see Petty or Hackenberg for obvious reasons, need to know what we've got before the draft.

But as an owner and as a head coach, you have the ability to put up a good fight and potentially win 5 of your last 7 games, almost all at home, many on national TV, and have the chance to spoil Indianapolis, Miami, and Buffalo's playoff chances in front of the home crowd. 

So all I'm saying is that it's a tough spot for our front office.  To do the right thing for our future (Petty) it means humiliation on national TV and potential playoffs for the Bills or Dolphins.  To do the right thing for this year (Fitzpatrick) it means remaining competitive and ending the year on a high but providing no view into our kid quarterbacks.  I don't have the answer.  I don't know what they will do.  I have a hunch though, and you're not going to like the answer.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hopefully, this is the end and petty gets in there.  Put fitz out of his misery.

Let's hope it's nothing major and sits out a wk while Petty improves our record to 3-7. That pretty much guarantees a non-playoff season again, thanks to that doofus HC. And hopefully we'll see Petty the rest of the way. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Certainly.  I'm trying to put myself in Todd Bowles and Woody Johnson's shoes knowing that we have 5 of our next 7 at home, 5 of those 7 winnable games against average opponents, and 3 of 4 on national TV on a Sunday, Monday, and Saturday at 8:30pm.

As a fan, I want to see Petty or Hackenberg for obvious reasons, need to know what we've got before the draft.

But as an owner and as a head coach, you have the ability to put up a good fight and potentially win 5 of your last 7 games, almost all at home, many on national TV, and have the chance to spoil Indianapolis, Miami, and Buffalo's playoff chances in front of the home crowd. 

So all I'm saying is that it's a tough spot for our front office.  To do the right thing for our future (Petty) it means humiliation on national TV and potential playoffs for the Bills or Dolphins.  To do the right thing for this year (Fitzpatrick) it means remaining competitive and ending the year on a high but providing no view into our kid quarterbacks.  I don't have the answer.  I don't know what they will do.  I have a hunch though, and you're not going to like the answer.

SAR I

No, Fitz sucks. Are you blind? Petty can do just as bad. Fitz' NFL career is over. F*** Fitz. 

Just now, j4jets said:

No, Fitz sucks. Are you blind? Petty can do just as bad. Fitz' NFL career is over. F*** Fitz. 

I know you don't want to hear it but Fitzpatrick played well enough to win today, he won last week, he won the week before.  After he beats the Rams, the narrative can easily be that Fitzpatrick led the pathetic 1-5 Jets on a strong 3-1 run that would have been 4-0 if his special teams weren't so awful.  And that would be the truth.

The time to hate Fitzpatrick was back in July when the Jets resigned him.  Hating him now makes no difference.  He's the best quarterback we have. He's actually having success.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Scary thought.  Don't you think that trotting Fitz out there and having the 20K Jets fans that actually show up expressing their displeasure by booing and chanting for Petty will produce the same level of humiliation?  If you're correct, and it is embarrassment they are concerned with, it is coming either way.  They have to know that.

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I know you don't want to hear it but Fitzpatrick played well enough to win today, he won last week, he won the week before.  After he beats the Rams, the narrative can easily be that Fitzpatrick led the pathetic 1-5 Jets on a strong 3-1 run that would have been 4-0 if his special teams weren't so awful.  And that would be the truth.

The time to hate Fitzpatrick was back in July when the Jets resigned him.  Hating him now makes no difference.  He's the best quarterback we have. He's actually having success.

SAR I

You've overcompensated your contrarian rationalization.

Fitz objectively played poorly today and subjectively played terribly and gives us a low ceiling as well as a low floor.  Two bad interceptions, one to a DT and another red zone INT making his 5th this year in the red zone alone (worst in the NFL).  He has the worst QBR in the league.  He completely missed a wide open streaking Robbie Anderson in the first quarter - a gimme touchdown in the NFL.  And he does it all the time.  

Now I like the man, I like his grit, I love that he eats turf every game because he's trying hard but he is an anchor around this team's neck and in this era of limited OTA and TC reps he is monopolizing invaluable game day "experience."  Plus there's zero chance he's on the team next year.  Bowles is burying himself in the ashes of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst starting QB in the NFL. He missed a wide open Robbie Anderson for a TD on the 1st drive. He missed a wide open Brandon Marshall for a touchdown.

He threw an interception in the end zone when no Jet player was in the area and Quincy Enunwa was wide open underneath for a first down.

Film review won't be kind to Fitz when the Jets give him his grade.

He threw 2 INTs and had another fumble (or two) I forget. He should have had another fumble on a careless lateral that Bilal Powell saved him on.

Fitz didn't play well enough to win today. He played well enough for the Jets to lose. And that is what he has done every year of his career. Played well enough to not make the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Crazy thought. Let's say Fitz can't play. The Jets would have to sign a veteran backup.

They had 4 QBs on the active roster all year, they might need to add a 5th. (just speculating obviously).

Can the Mets give Tim Tebow some time off to play qb for us?

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst starting QB in the NFL. He missed a wide open Robbie Anderson for a TD on the 1st drive. He missed a wide open Brandon Marshall for a touchdown.

He threw an interception in the end zone when no Jet player was in the area and Quincy Enunwa was wide open underneath for a first down.

Film review won't be kind to Fitz when the Jets give him his grade.

He threw 2 INTs and had another fumble (or two) I forget. He should have had another fumble on a careless lateral that Bilal Powell saved him on.

Fitz didn't play well enough to win today. He played well enough for the Jets to lose. And that is what he has done every year of his career. Played well enough to not make the playoffs.

That's right.  Fitz is the worst starting qb in the entire NFL.  Even the Browns starter Cody Kessler I would take him over Fitz in a nanosecond.

Archived