Could the Jets End Up Settling for Geno Smith at QB?

Freemanm

I know there are a lot of Geno Smith haters here, but let's be honest. The jets are in rebuild mode and really aren't going to be good next year. The FA market for QBs has already been disappointing with Tyrod Taylor gone and the likelihood of signing Mike Glennon all but disappearing. Smith already knows the team and will come on the cheap, and has shown some flashes in the past.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/could-jets-end-up-settling-for-a-return-of-geno-smith-at-quarterback/

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What does Geno do for us that Petty/Hack does not?

Why would Macc choose someone elses guy (Geno) over his own two guys (Petty/Hack)?

If you can answer that, maybe you'll answer your own OP.

By the way, does it say something to you that in one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time.......there isn't a hint of a peep of interest anywhere int he NFL for Geno Smith?

the only sane choice is to give hack every rep and every start.  with this schedule this team is going nowhere anyway

either you find you have a good young QB or you get another high draft choice

bring in some jag to go 5-11 is not the answer

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Why would Macc choose someone elses guy (Geno) over his own two guys (Petty/Hack)?

This.

What many on JN don't understand is that its easy to sell season ticket holders the Hackenberg / Petty narrative as we're anxious to see if one of these kids has some ability.

Romo?  Cutler?  We don't want another guy with Favre's arm and Pennington's durability, we've seen that with Esiason, Reich, Testaverde, Favre, Vick, and all the other has-been geezers we've trotted out over the years.  No thanks.

Geno?  Might as well put Fitzpatrick and Sanchez up there.  We don't want to go backwards with guys who already had their 2+ seasons to make a dent and couldn't.

So if we can't get a blue-chip free agent, no settling, give us Christian and Bryce, let's learn something.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By the way, does it say something to you that in one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time.......there isn't a hint of a peep of interest anywhere int he NFL for Geno Smith?

the whole torn ACL thing might be a part of that, no?

the sad thing is despite this being one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time your hero Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't been mentioned by anyone, anywhere, in about a month.

Just now, Pac said:

the sad thing is despite this being one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time your hero Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't been mentioned by anyone, anywhere, in about a month.

ACL?  No.  He's damaged goods.  Self-inflicted.

The reason that neither Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith has been mentioned is because the talk is about starting quarterbacks, not known backups.  The shocker about Geno is that he's still young, he should be talked up.  And yet, silence.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This.

What many on JN don't understand is that its easy to sell season ticket holders the Hackenberg / Petty narrative as we're anxious to see if one of these kids has some ability.

Romo?  Cutler?  We don't want another guy with Favre's arm and Pennington's durability, we've seen that with Esiason, Reich, Testaverde, Favre, Vick, and all the other has-been geezers we've trotted out over the years.  No thanks.

Geno?  Might as well put Fitzpatrick and Sanchez up there.  We don't want to go backwards with guys who already had their 2+ seasons to make a dent and couldn't.

So if we can't get a blue-chip free agent, no settling, give us Christian and Bryce, let's learn something.

SAR I

I'll bet your overpriced BMW against JiF's 1998 Ford Taurus that there is no way in hell the Jets go with Hack, Petty, and a rookie. 

That's how you lose 50K season ticket holders.  This isn't the XFL.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Yeah so lets sign Geno"friggin"Smith who with that ACL injury may not even be ready to play and you have to go with Hack or Petty until he is. You just gave another reason not to spend money on Geno"friggin"Smith.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah so lets sign Geno"friggin"Smith who with that ACL injury may not even be ready to play and you have to go with Hack or Petty until he is. You just gave another reason not to spend money on Geno"friggin"Smith.

Actually that's why we will be able to get him on the cheap.  If you don't think he's a better option than Barkley, McGloin, or whatever other riff raff is left you're nuts. 

Trading a pick for Chase Daniel who has played less games than Bryce Petty is a sure fire way for Macc to get sh-tcanned this time next year.

Just now, Pac said:

I'll bet your overpriced BMW against JiF's 1998 Ford Taurus that there is no way in hell the Jets go with Hack, Petty, and a rookie. 

That's how you lose 50K season ticket holders.  This isn't the XFL.

Which one?  I own 3.

We're in agreement on your quarterback concept.  They'll go with:

QB1 Bryce Petty
QB2 Christian Hackenberg
QB3 Fitzpatrick/Sanchez/Brunnell mentor type
QB4 Draft Pick

Geno Smith isn't part of the conversation because he's not starter material and he is a lousy backup because of his poor locker room and communication skills.  He's Tweeted himself right out of the NFL.

SAR I

Well for those who want a low ball solution to our Qb dilemma then you will get the cheapest Qb room in the NFL and probably the worst. There are still viable Qbs available a lot better than Geno. I'd hate to sit through another season watching him run backwards. 

Which one?  I own 3.

We're in agreement on your quarterback concept.  They'll go with:

QB1 Bryce Petty
QB2 Christian Hackenberg
QB3 Fitzpatrick/Sanchez/Brunnell mentor type
QB4 Draft Pick

Geno Smith isn't part of the conversation because he's not starter material and he is a lousy backup because of his poor locker room and communication skills.  He's Tweeted himself right out of the NFL.

SAR I

Who's this mysterious mentor type you have in mind? 

and I'll bet you another of your overpriced BMW's against Integrity's 04' Buick Lesabre that Bryce Petty will NOT be the starter...  He's not even going to be on the team!

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Actually that's why we will be able to get him on the cheap.  If you don't think he's a better option than Barkley, McGloin, or whatever other riff raff is left you're nuts. 

Trading a pick for Chase Daniel who has played less games than Bryce Petty is a sure fire way for Macc to get sh-tcanned this time next year.

I said it about a dozen times last December, the quarterback that makes the most sense for the New York Jets to play the QB3 mentor/Brunnell emergency-only role is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And that's really the only QB discussion to have here in March anyway.  The good FA quarterbacks won't come here and we'll have no choice but to go with Petty/Hack and some journeyman, and who really wants to talk about the journeyman?  This Glennon Sweepstakes and Romo Rumor are just silly, no one decent would choose us over the Broncos, 49ers or Browns.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I said it about a dozen times last December, the quarterback that makes the most sense for the New York Jets to play the QB3 mentor/Brunnell emergency-only role is Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And that's really the only QB discussion to have here in March anyway.  The good FA quarterbacks won't come here and we'll have no choice but to go with Petty/Hack and some journeyman, and who really wants to talk about the journeyman?  This Glennon Sweepstakes and Romo Rumor are just silly, no one decent would choose us over the Broncos, 49ers or Browns.

SAR I

holeee sh-t! 

you actually want Fitzpatrick back?!  The fact that he just had one of the worst seasons in the history of organized sports isn't enough to deter you? 

What else do you do for fun?  Slam your 3rd BMW's door on your nuts?

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Who's this mysterious mentor type you have in mind? 

and I'll bet you another of your overpriced BMW's against Integrity's 04' Buick Lesabre that Bryce Petty will NOT be the starter...  He's not even going to be on the team!

Let's be objective:

Petty won a game last year and had a couple of big drives and decent throws.  Tom Brady wouldn't have succeeded with that post-Mangold post-Clady line, the kid did okay.  Hackenberg cost a #2 pick and got his redshirt year.  New OC, new QBC, new system, we have to see this kid play in real games.  These are two major picks by our GM, they're not to be tossed away so easily.

Those are your QB1 and QB2 next season.  There is no great FA that's coming here, and the falloff after Glennon, Romo, Cutler, and Taylor is so steep it's not even worth talking about.  And no way we trade up in the draft to take yet another young quarterback.  You have to wrap your brain around the alternative.  Imagine Mark Sanchez brought in as our starting quarterback next season, maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick.  That's what we're talking about here.  Never going to happen.

QB1 Petty
QB2 Hackenberg
QB3 Scrub Veteran

That's what we're in for.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

SAR I

Petty is going into his 3rd season btw....

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

holeee sh-t! 

you actually want Fitzpatrick back?!  The fact that he just had one of the worst seasons in the history of organized sports isn't enough to deter you? 

What else do you do for fun?  Slam your 3rd BMW's door on your nuts?

Nice try.  I do not want Fitzpatrick back.  I didn't want him here to begin with.

I am merely stating that he is quickly going to be our best option either as a known backup (Brunell role) or as our immediate starter (if Petty and Hackenberg are that bad).  If you look at the quarterbacks out there and imagine the ones that are going to be taken and the ones who simply refuse to come here, you are left with a bunch of scrubs.  Fitzpatrick lives here, he has 10 kids in schools here, and he won 80% of our games last year.  I don't want him back.  But I would not at all be surprised if he's back.  He simply may be the best player available on March 20.

SAR I

Let's be objective:

Petty won a game last year and had a couple of big drives and decent throws.  Tom Brady wouldn't have succeeded with that post-Mangold post-Clady line, the kid did okay.  Hackenberg cost a #2 pick and got his redshirt year.  New OC, new QBC, new system, we have to see this kid play in real games.  These are two major picks by our GM, they're not to be tossed away so easily.

Those are your QB1 and QB2 next season.  There is no great FA that's coming here, and the falloff after Glennon, Romo, Cutler, and Taylor is so steep it's not even worth talking about.  And no way we trade up in the draft to take yet another young quarterback.  You have to wrap your brain around the alternative.  Imagine Mark Sanchez brought in as our starting quarterback next season, maybe Ryan Fitzpatrick.  That's what we're talking about here.  Never going to happen.

QB1 Petty
QB2 Hackenberg
QB3 Scrub Veteran

That's what we're in for.

SAR I

I disagree with your assessment of Bryce Pettys performance.  It wasn't good at all. 

Once it became apparent that Glennon was going to ask for a ridiculous contract I thought the best option was:

Keep Geno, draft a QB in first 4 rounds.

After camp you stash Petty on the practice squad (assuming he's eligible - if not cut him), start Geno, Hack's your # 2, rookie gets red shirted unless he outplays the other 2. 

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

LOL. I'm nuts? Spending money on a guy with a torn ACL who may or may not be ready to start the season not to mention with suspect character and maturity is sane? You gotta be friggin kidding me. Any one of those guys is a better option because they can actually stand up to sign the contract without a knee brace. Hey maybe they sign Geno and he gets cold-cocked again by a fringe roster player for being an a-hole. Sorry but Geno"friggin"Smith is a joke. If Mac does sign him he is guaranteed to be gone by the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. I'm nuts? Spending money on a guy with a torn ACL who may or may not be ready to start the season not to mention with suspect character and maturity is sane? You gotta be friggin kidding me. Any one of those guys is a better option because they can actually stand up to sign the contract without a knee brace. Hey maybe they sign Geno and he gets cold-cocked again by a fringe roster player for being an a-hole. Sorry but Geno"friggin"Smith is a joke. If Mac does sign him he is guaranteed to be gone by the end of the season.

From the tone of your posts I assume you're an advocate of this "suck for sam" nonsense going around.

If so then why wouldn't you want the worst QB ever in Geno to be signed?  That all but guarantees an 0-16 season, right?

Just now, Pac said:

From the tone of your posts I assume you're an advocate of this "suck for sam" nonsense going around.

If so then why wouldn't you want the worst QB ever in Geno to be signed?  That all but guarantees an 0-16 season, right?

Nice way to avoid the question. You called me nuts because I don't want Geno"friggin"Smith. A guy with a bum knee and suspect leadership skills and maturity. I asked you if you thought that was sane. From the tone of your post it seems you gave no thought to what it really means to bring Geno back. So I ask you once again do you think signing a guy with an ACL injury and of suspect character and maturity is the definition of sanity? I await your answer.

Been saying it for a while..

geno has never got a fair shake with us, his best receiver before Todd Bowles era was Jeremy freakin kerley lol, then he gets hurt against the ravens (which he went 4-8 for 95 yards and TD)

Although he deservedly got his jaw broken, he was supposed to be the starter in 2015...NOBODY and I mean NOBODY thought fitz was going to have an all time career year..there's literally nothing anyone could say that would prove geno couldn't have had a similar year as fitz in 2015.

lets not forget, he went 8-8 as a rookie and everybody thought we were gonna be a clown show that year too..

I'd much rather pay geno a 1 year deal that he has earned based on his career than bring in a equally average backup veteran QB on max money who hasn't earned a dime

56 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lead a "tank" year better than the both of them.  

F*ck it, if the team doesn't believe in the other two guys that much and Geno Smith gives us the best chance at #1 overall, I'll be the first person to shout "O Captain! My Captain!" to bring him back on board this ship so he can properly steer it right into a f*cking iceberg.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Nice way to avoid the question. You called me nuts because I don't want Geno"friggin"Smith. A guy with a bum knee and suspect leadership skills and maturity. I asked you if you thought that was sane. From the tone of your post it seems you gave no thought to what it really means to bring Geno back. So I ask you once again do you think signing a guy with an ACL injury and of suspect character and maturity is the definition of sanity? I await your answer.

Actually I said if you think he's not a better option than Barkley or McGloin you're nuts. 

And yes.  I'm saying that as of this moment, with the way the QB landscape looks, Geno Cyril Smith is the best option.  He's not a RB so that ACL isn't that huge of a factor.  The team has the benefit of knowing exactly how he's progressing with his rehab.

27 minutes ago, Pac said:

I disagree with your assessment of Bryce Pettys performance.  It wasn't good at all. 

Once it became apparent that Glennon was going to ask for a ridiculous contract I thought the best option was:

Keep Geno, draft a QB in first 4 rounds.

After camp you stash Petty on the practice squad (assuming he's eligible - if not cut him), start Geno, Hack's your # 2, rookie gets red shirted unless he outplays the other 2. 

This fanbase hates Geno Smith.

I respect the 5 of you who endlessly lobby for him here, but it's beyond ability.  He's despised. 

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

And yes.  I'm saying that as of this moment, with the way the QB landscape looks, Geno Cyril Smith is the best option.  He's not a RB so that ACL isn't that huge of a factor.  The team has the benefit of knowing exactly how he's progressing with his rehab.

Your argument for Geno Smith is the same argument for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  The irony.  And Fitzpatrick is the better quarterback.

SAR I

Archived