Who will be Jets Starting QB for these 3 Games?

Sarge4Tide

Starting QB?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Game 1 @ Buffalo

• Josh McCown
    • Bryce Petty
    • Christian Hackenberg
    • Someone Else
  2. 2. Game 8 vs Falcons

• Josh McCown
    • Bryce Petty
    • Christian Hackenberg
    • Someone Else
  3. 3. Game 16 @ Patriots

• Josh McCown
    • Bryce Petty
    • Christian Hackenberg
    • Someone Else

I'm gonna' assume McCown's experience carries him to win the starting job but he's benched after a slow start and they to go one of the kids.  Went with Hack since he's clearly the QB they hold in higher regard, but wouldn't be surprised if it's Petty.

saw today that the last time mccown ran an offense like this years jets offense was in chicago, and he threw 13 TD's to 1 INT in relief of cutler

he had awesome weapons with chicago, but he is going to be hard to beat out imho

McCown will start all 3.....then after the Pats blow his doors off he will get pulled the Hack. No way Hack starts against the Pats this early in the season while the offense is just gelling. They will not give Belly the chance to utterly shatter the kids confidence until he has had a chance to build on a few performances first. 

43 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

McCown will start all 3.....then after the Pats blow his doors off he will get pulled the Hack. No way Hack starts against the Pats this early in the season while the offense is just gelling. They will not give Belly the chance to utterly shatter the kids confidence until he has had a chance to build on a few performances first. 

He had a whole season of being sheltered.  He either steps up now or the team is gonna go all in on a new franchise QB.  

If I'm him I'm doing everything possible to get that starting gig from week one.  I'd be speaking up in meetings, yelling at players messin' up, sabotaging McCown's car with sugar in the gas tank, paying LBs to punch McCown, cutting McCown's brake lines...

Then from the Jets' perspective, why bother trying to get wins with McCown?  Every McCown win hurts our likelihood of getting a new QB.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

He had a whole season of being sheltered.  He either steps up now of the team is gonna go all in on a new franchise QB.  

If I'm him I'm doing everything possible to get that starting gig from week one.  I'd be speaking up in meetings, yelling at players messin' up, sabotaging McCown's car with sugar in the gas tank, paying LBs to punch McCown, cutting McCown's brake lines...

Then from the Jets' perspective, why bother trying to get wins with McCown.  Every McCown win hurts our likelihood of getting a new QB.

You are right about him being sheltered last year but I think in all of this conversation about whether Hack can make it or not we are all ignoring that we have a brand new OC who has never been an OC or to my recollection or called plays at this level. He might truly SUCK B@LLS!!! We dont know if the kid has any chance in hell or if he is any good, will the OC's style and feel for the flow of the game give the kid half a chance...or if this "brand new" offense will be ......well........ as shatty as schotty's offense was. We already know the west coast offense isnt reportedly suited to Hack's strengths as it is predicated on timing and accuracy, both at this point weakness's for the kid. 

I guess we will see but tbh I have seen nothing to make me think this offense will be any good or will help these new, young QB's and WR's be successful.

also....I LOL'ed at the sugar in the gas tank comment.  

8 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

You are right about him being sheltered last year but I think in all of this conversation about whether Hack can make it or not we are all ignoring that we have a brand new OC who has never been an OC or to my recollection or called plays at this level. He might truly SUCK B@LLS!!! We dont know if the kid has any chance in hell or if he is any good, will the OC's style and feel for the flow of the game give the kid half a chance...or if this "brand new" offense will be ......well........ as shatty as schotty's offense was. We already know the west coast offense isnt reportedly suited to Hack's strengths as it is predicated on timing and accuracy, both at this point weakness's for the kid. 

I guess we will see but tbh I have seen nothing to make me think this offense will be any good or will help these new, young QB's and WR's be successful.

Can't argue with anything you said.  But it doesn't change the fact that winning with McCown is counterproductive.  As in 6-10 with McCown is much much worse than 0-16 with Hack or Petty.

Stated plainly as possible, I'm going to be pissed if the Jets end a game with more points than the other team if McCown is the QB.

The only time a McCown victory is acceptable is in the unlikely event of Hack or Petty playing well enough to justify being the starter in 2018, but is out hurt for a couple weeks.  Then McCown can win to help keep the season rolling.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Can't argue with anything you said.  But it doesn't change the fact that winning with McCown is counterproductive.  As in 6-10 with McCown is much much worse than 0-16 with Hack or Petty.

Stated plainly as possible, I'm going to be pissed if the Jets end a game with more points than the other team if McCown is the QB.

The only time a McCown victory is acceptable is in the unlikely event of Hack or Petty playing well enough to justify being the starter in 2018, but is out hurt for a couple weeks.  Then McCown can win to help keep the season rolling.

fair enough......I can get on board with that too

If McCown does anything other than be a good influence in the QBs room, and help the young guys develop, and actually takes a single snap not due to blowout garbage time or injury, Bowles should be fired on the spot. Nothing is dumber and more counterproductive to this teams development than starting McCown. Have we learned nothing from the last 2 years? And anyone that says "he gives us the best chance to win" can shove it up their puckered assholes. All he does is short circuit the development of this team.

8 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

Morton uses West Coast terminology but does not run the classic west coast offense.

There is simply zero reason to start McCown.  This team has made it clear they're going with a youth movement - starting McCown is contrary to EVERYTHING they've done all off season.  

Petty got a shot last year and was mostly terrible.  It's going to be Hack...

McCown is there if Hack and Petty both completely deteriorate to the point where the team legitimately can't put him on the field and pretend to be an NFL football team, just being bad won't be enough to pull Hack it would be have to be beyond awful.

If McCown starts the season this organization is waaaay worse than I thought and that's saying a lot.

16 hours ago, Mike135 said:

He had a whole season of being sheltered.  He either steps up now or the team is gonna go all in on a new franchise QB.  

Then from the Jets' perspective, why bother trying to get wins with McCown?  Every McCown win hurts our likelihood of getting a new QB.

i agree.  it just makes no sense to start mccown.  petty, maybe.  if hack shines then it pretty much settles the way the jets draft next season.  if he doesn't then it also sets the tone for next year's draft.  and it's not like he has to go out there and be the second coming of joe willie.  all he needs to do is execute the plays and keep control of the team.  if he gets the team on his side he will do well.  they all read the press clippings too.

I worry that McCown with start the season. Everything he has said this offseason is that it is his position to win....

That being said, would love for Petty to start the season with Hack as the number 2 with McCown as the adult in the QB room. Would also be okay with Hack tearing it up this TC and Petty being 2nd.

Great question, cant wait for camp to open up on FRIDAY!!!!! YESSSSSS MOFOS, A FEW MORE DAYS!!!!!

50 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

McCown will start the season as the starter which will tell us all we need to know about Hackenberg.  Ive never wanted to be so wrong in my life.,

It will tell us all we need to know about Maccagnan and Bowles as well. 

It should be Hack from week 1 until he is either injured or just completely sh!ts the bed. At either point it should then be Petty the remainder of the year if it comes to one of the previous points. 

Get a true evaluation on the young guys. At this point cutting all the Veterans and high contracts there is no reason for McCown to do anything other than hold a clipboard.

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Bowles is trying to save his job and has a very pro-veteran bias.  So I voted for McCown for all three.  But I don't want that to happen.  I'd rather see a young guy -- preferably Hackenberg -- start from the beginning.

If we start out 1-6 or McCown gets hurt Mac will be giving Jay Cutler a call

Archived