Deep Thoughts

Jetster

When you own a business, you hire people to do specific jobs based on their past resume. Todd Bowles came here highly praised as a young upcoming defensive genius by Charlie Casserly & Bruce Ariens. Forget about judging Bowles as a Head Coach, the first thing he needs to be judged on is his supposed expertise, defense. 

Going all the way back to last years embarrassing defensive effort vs the Colts on MNF when they scored 3 touch downs in what looked like a training camp 7 on 7 nothing has changed. Any Jet fan that does not believe Bowles has influence with Macc on choices in the draft is kidding himself. The way Woody hired these men he's crested a democracy, not an autocracy. 

The question that needs to be asked of Bowles first is, why is this defense so bad? Far too many draft resources have been used on this defense to constantly give up TDs like yesterday where the team is down 0-14 instantly. We all know Buster Skrine sucks, so why is the 5' CB on Crabtree? Lee is too small to be a MLB, why are you not adjusting your defense to put him a better position? There is no way in the world that Macc without consulting Bowles chose to give Mo a mega contract & let Snacks walk. We already had Leo, Mo as it turns out is just overkill of the same player only worse. Does anyone believe that the Raiders run for 107 yards directly up the middle with Snacks in there?

i said it last week. Bowles is a fraud masquerading as a football coach. He's can't even hold Rex defensive playbook. He replaced every defensive position coach EXCEPT his inept buddy Rogers. There are many, many DCs in this league that could take this group of misfits & make them competitive, guys like Wade Phillips, Schwartz, Williams, etc. The Carolina Panthers held McCoy to 9 yards yesterday, lol. Yes, I know they have Keuckly & Davis but 9 f*cking yards after he basically ran through Bowles defense like a hot knife through butter!

I like what I've seen from Morton & Bates. With very little assets & a group of young players and recent players like Kearse they at least look like there's a plan, a system developing. Bowles will lose this team soon because his defense is a huge problem (this isn't Rex defense kicking azz & the offense turning the ball over 5 times). Just because your offense goes 3 & out once to start a game doesn't mean you should be down 0-14. Raiders took the opening kickoff TD, 2nd possession...TD! Ridiculous!

How about Bowles reaction to the personal foul on Skrine? What reaction? He had no reaction. Are you kidding me? Show some damn fire at least when it's understandable. Imagine Parcells, Reid, even guys like McCarthy would have lost their sh*t with that call & gotten in the refs ears. Why are our punt returners catching punts at the 5 yard line while guys are bearing down on them? Bail out! Parcells taught that all the time! Our coaching with the guy is horrific! 

They wont fire Bowles during the season because who would take over the defense? Rogers? Suck for Sam, Rosen & Allen is real and there is no doubt in my mind keeping Bowles in place gives us the beet chance as long as Chris Johnson mandates every youngster plays at the end of the season to insure we don't stumble into a couple of wins using veterans that won't be here next year. We have the coach in place to give us the best chance at a top pick & I believe he'll prove it each & every week. Go Jet youngsters. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bowles is a fraud masquerading as a football coach.

Any decent GM would fire him, this organization is a mess with no end in sight.  

Starting a 38 year old loser bum QB the 3rd year in a row should tell us all they don't get it and don't care. 

Many players on this roster wouldn't be in the NFL if not for the NY Jets. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lee can't play at all and teams are just going to attack Burris because he cant run. When you have two total liabilities like that it's hard to stop anyone. Neither are close to being NFL starters. Burris is a safety trying to play corner.

Skrine is a bum everybody dogged Revis yet Skrine is 100x worse. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Any decent GM would fire him, this organization is a mess with no end in sight.  

Starting a 38 year old loser bum QB the 3rd year in a row should tell us all they don't get it and don't care. 

Many players on this roster wouldn't be in the NFL if not for the NY Jets. 

At this point I don't want him fired, Morton actually looks like he knows what he's doing & expects from players which could lead to a few fired up team victories. Players will eventually blame everyone but themselves. It's just self preservation as players aren't stupid, know this is a business & coaches don't stick around losing week after week in a market like NY/NJ. 

As a Jet fan, hate is a harsh word, but I wanted so bad to believe that Bowles coming from the Parcells tree maybe, just maybe would be our coaching savior but has proven to be TERRIBLE. I don't watch Bowles post game speak, but how many times can he blame the players on defense for these azz whoopings that opposing offenses are putting on his defenses? We gave up not 1 but two running TDs over 40 yards!!!!! When's the last time you witnessed that watching Redzone? Horrific! 

I think Charlie Casserly would endorse me, if I asked. Dude never has anything bad to say about anyone. Truly the worst possible personality type for a consultant (I say this, as a consultant). You have to be able to tell a client what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. 

I feel kind of foolish for thinking that this may work out, given that all he did was lobby for people he'd worked with in the past - rather than guide us through an actual search of candidates, across the spectrum of the league. 

Duped again, I suppose.

We kept Bowles and Rodgers around to lock up the Number 1 pick in this coming draft. If there was ever a pair to get the least from our players, these two are those guys. Once we draft our franchise QB, fill in some holes in FA and hire a competent HC and DC we will turn this thing around very fast. This year will be painful for those of you that refuse to accept the plan. For many of us, we were resigned to this disaster of a season months ago and planned accordingly. My kid is on more little league/travel teams than he has time for to keep my (and his) focus from this team for 1 year. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Lee can't play at all and teams are just going to attack Burris because he cant run. When you have two total liabilities like that it's hard to stop anyone. Neither are close to being NFL starters. Burris is a safety trying to play corner.

Crabtree has burned Sherman before. You have to find ways using help, not easy when you can't stop the run. The back shoulder was impossible to stop, throw was way short. Sit Lee & put ANY OTHER LB in then if you can't stop the run. Bowles obviously likes a Skrine too much, GMs don't extend CBs without the Head coaches opinion, especially a defensive Head Coach. Macc is NOT Bowles superior in this ridiculous set up created by our owner Mr. Mcgoo. I can't believe as a Jet fan, we went from Leon Hess & Steve Gutman to Woody Johnson, a silver spooned know nothing from a family who basically gave him the wherewithal to buy an NFL franchise as his toy to play with. He's like a spoiled kid who breaks every toy he's given & leaves broken pieces all over his bedroom floor.

11 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Next week will be the same as Parker, Landry, and Thomas will  feast on our secondary. Hopefully Sam D dosent watch any Raiders games.

I don't know why we care how we look to these kids. They will ultimately be taken #1 or 2 and be drafted by a team that had a horrible year. This notion that there afraid of playing for the Jets is comical and totally baseless. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Also, Bruce Arians seemed like a really, really good coach when he had Ben, Luck and a half-decent Carson Palmer. Now that he's got no QB, he's as bad as any other coach in the league. I wonder why that is?

True, but Bowles has the players on D.

the team is going to stink no matter what, but the d should at least be functional

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We kept Bowles and Rodgers around to lock up the Number 1 pick in this coming draft. If there was ever a pair to get the least from our players, these two are those guys. Once we draft our franchise QB, fill in some holes in FA and hire a competent HC and DC we will turn this thing around very fast. This year will be painful for those of you that refuse to accept the plan. For many of us, we were resigned to this disaster of a season months ago and planned accordingly. My kid is on more little league/travel teams than he has time for to keep my (and his) focus from this team for 1 year. 

i am all in on the OP and the above (the above is shorter).  This thread is completely on point.

My take:

• I think the system Woody created is one where everyone looks worse at what they do.  Unfortunately, at this point I don't know who is salvageable.
  • With the way Mac is scavaging the scrap heap and Bowles is trying to coach, there is no way the Johnsons gave them the message they needed to hear.  I said earlier in the year to extend them or fire them.  I don't think either has happened.  So we are going to get some bizarre strategies as the year progresses. 
  • California is not the SEC.  In a world where college QBs are coddled, LA is another standard.  We cannot underestimate how spoiled Darnold and Rosen are.  If we are in the position to draft them, the Jets are going to need to create a better organization structure.  If I were them I would stay in school.
  • Why does everyone ignore Mike Caldwell, Bowles crony, Assistant Head Coach and ILB coach.  Bowles and his cronies have destroyed this defense, and Macc allowed it to happen.  By allowing it to happen, Mac is equally culpable as well.
  • I thought Morton and Bates were crazy to take this job, but along with Steve Marshall and Karl Dorrell, I think they are doing a good job coaching the offense with what they have to work with.  My biggest issue is playing Forte too much.  I think this is a foundation to build upon.  Darnold will be an excellent WCO QB.
  • Dorsey and Gettlemen are standing pat, watching what is happening.  As has been reported, Dorsey is not perfect, but I would bring him in as Macc's boss-if Macc does not like it, he can leave.  Soon enough the Jets should start cutting the vets not here next year and start signing other team's practice squad players.  Alex Collins was brought up by the Ravens.  What about Shalique Calhoun on the Raiders? Torgersen on the Redskins.
  • The Jets should start going into the QB business like the Patriots.  They traded Brissett, a former 3rd round pick, for Dorsett, a former 1st round.  We should avoid the Glennon approach.  Use the QBs we have as potential 2018 starters/backups.  Do not pressure the new QB to play right away.  
  • So the big picture is that Macc needs to be replaced/demoted, Bowles and the defensive staff replaced, and maybe we keep the guys on offense. With the cap spend and high draft picks, the Jets need a new organization to make decisions.

36 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How about Bowles reaction to the personal foul on Skrine? What reaction? He had no reaction. Are you kidding me? Show some damn fire at least when it's understandable. Imagine Parcells, Reid, even guys like McCarthy would have lost their sh*t with that call & gotten in the refs ears.

I don't think his demeanor is the problem, but when a call is an obvious give back like that I think you have to let the refs know.  I think both of those calls were BS.  Are they trying to outlaw hitting? 

27 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Those are our players of the future!

4 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

giphy.gif

Makes me want to eat a hot dog on the sideline!

The Jets defense was forced to defend the high powered Raiders offense from their 3, inside their 30 twice and from the plus side of the field once after the onside kick . The defense wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible also. The Raiders jump on the visiting Jets quickly, but the Jets got the game under control quickly after that and was beginning to take ole MO when the kid fumbled the ball inside the 5 . Why he was catching the ball inside the 10 is beyond me, but it killed that team when he lost that ball . 

The Jets are a bad team, but not a talentless team. It's a young team learning how to play together and it didn't quit even thou it was facing an uphill battle . This terrible team gave the Raiders 28 0oints due to mistakes and score 20 points against a team with a defense many here thought would dominate our offense . 

You folks can spend the next 16 weeks being miserable about something you already knew, but as for me and my house, I will look for positives each and every week .

39 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Actually, both of those guys are good, Bowles is just coaching them bad

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets defense was forced to defend the high powered Raiders offense from their 3, inside their 30 twice and from the plus side of the field once after the onside kick . The defense wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible also. The Raiders jump on the visiting Jets quickly, but the Jets got the game under control quickly after that and was beginning to take ole MO when the kid fumbled the ball inside the 5 . Why he was catching the ball inside the 10 is beyond me, but it killed that team when he lost that ball . 

The Jets are a bad team, but not a talentless team. It's a young team learning how to play together and it didn't quit even thou it was facing an uphill battle . This terrible team gave the Raiders 28 0oints due to mistakes and score 20 points against a team with a defense many here thought would dominate our offense . 

You folks can spend the next 16 weeks being miserable about something you already knew, but as for me and my house, I will look for positives each and every week .

For me the positives are a future Franchise QB and a new head coach that get the most out of the talent we have.. Whether macc stays or goes isn't something I worry about. Like all GMs, macc has made some bad moves but the trade for a second and kearse looks like a steal. Some of his draft picks have panned out some haven't... Just like every other team. 

To be honest, I kind of want macc to stay so I can watch many on this board lose their mind. 

Our future starts April 26, 2018.

These "deep thoughts" sure do seem suspiciously like the repetition of the same things that have been said for weeks (if not months) in every other thread around here.

Of course, even those have really just been variations of many years worth of claims that the Jets' endless list of failures at any given time need to be blamed on only one person, something that has never been anywhere close to correct.

It's just really cute that anyone thinks the owner's brother is actually going to do a single damn thing regarding any of the Jets' higher level staff, be it head coach, GM, or any other decision-makers.  The fury that comes when no one is fired should be fun to watch.

Bowles gives us the best chance of securing a top pick in next year's draft, if that is in any way the thinking within the corridors of power at Florham Park.

The trouble is, at what cost in the meantime? He is stunting the development of many of our younger players. At some point he will lose the dressing room (again) and I'm not sure operating in such a toxic environment is conducive to developing the few emerging players you have. 

At some point in the season, there may come a tipping point where you can Bowles loose, still salvage something from the season in terms of player development and without winning the three or four games that could screw us out of a top three pick.

Schedule-wise we may have gotten lucky in that respect. You keep Bowles for the 'easy' start to the season where his ineptitude will keep us winless. Get to the bye, hand Bowles his pink slip and give the reins over to Morton or whoever. The Jets could improve performance wise, but still lose down the stretch to the Panthers, Chiefs, Broncos, Saints and Patriots. You haven't lost anything in terms of draft position. But the mood around the team improves and you have something to build on in 2018.  Unlike what is going on at the moment. 

40 minutes ago, varjet said:

i am all in on the OP and the above (the above is shorter).  This thread is completely on point.

My take:

• I think the system Woody created is one where everyone looks worse at what they do.  Unfortunately, at this point I don't know who is salvageable.
  • With the way Mac is scavaging the scrap heap and Bowles is trying to coach, there is no way the Johnsons gave them the message they needed to hear.  I said earlier in the year to extend them or fire them.  I don't think either has happened.  So we are going to get some bizarre strategies as the year progresses. 
  • California is not the SEC.  In a world where college QBs are coddled, LA is another standard.  We cannot underestimate how spoiled Darnold and Rosen are.  If we are in the position to draft them, the Jets are going to need to create a better organization structure.  If I were them I would stay in school.
  • Why does everyone ignore Mike Caldwell, Bowles crony, Assistant Head Coach and ILB coach.  Bowles and his cronies have destroyed this defense, and Macc allowed it to happen.  By allowing it to happen, Mac is equally culpable as well.
  • I thought Morton and Bates were crazy to take this job, but along with Steve Marshall and Karl Dorrell, I think they are doing a good job coaching the offense with what they have to work with.  My biggest issue is playing Forte too much.  I think this is a foundation to build upon.  Darnold will be an excellent WCO QB.
  • Dorsey and Gettlemen are standing pat, watching what is happening.  As has been reported, Dorsey is not perfect, but I would bring him in as Macc's boss-if Macc does not like it, he can leave.  Soon enough the Jets should start cutting the vets not here next year and start signing other team's practice squad players.  Alex Collins was brought up by the Ravens.  What about Shalique Calhoun on the Raiders? Torgersen on the Redskins.
  • The Jets should start going into the QB business like the Patriots.  They traded Brissett, a former 3rd round pick, for Dorsett, a former 1st round.  We should avoid the Glennon approach.  Use the QBs we have as potential 2018 starters/backups.  Do not pressure the new QB to play right away.  
  • So the big picture is that Macc needs to be replaced/demoted, Bowles and the defensive staff replaced, and maybe we keep the guys on offense. With the cap spend and high draft picks, the Jets need a new organization to make decisions.

Ok post with the two underlined points being SPOT ON and much overlooked. 

The Jets defense wasn't great, but it was terrible.  Field position may explain points, it does not explain yards.  They were gashed every which way - air, ground, yards per play.  Big plays?  Ball rammed down your throat?  They checked every box.

I don't know why people would kill the kid for the fair catch attempt.  The rule of thumb I was taught was inside the 10 fair catch, inside the 5, let it bounce.  Kill him for whiffing and not getting his hand outside the ball, not the thought process.

27 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Tinstar, in past years I was able to give you more thumbs than recently.  This post however is a breath of fresh air.  Thank you :)  (how's that for a back handed compliment :)

Only two weeks in, but as of now, for a team with a defensive minded head coach, and 9 straight first round picks on the defensive side of the ball.  We are ranked:

27th in red zone TD % (75%)

32nd in points per game allowed (33.0)

30th in yards per game allowed (409.0)

31st in 3rd down conversion % (55.17%)

32nd in Opp Rushing Yards per Game (185.0)

17th in Opp Passing Yards per Game (224.0)

Is this good?

37 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am almost positive that Maccagnan signed a 4 year deal, and I know that Bowles did.  They are going to get paid for 2018, even though they will be out of work. You do not extend guys with 2 years left on their contracts.  Period.  It is not done and it would set a bad precedent.  Especially when you consider their abysmal performance.  It is ironic that you are talking about extending guys with 2 years left on their deals who have apparently refused to consider extending players in the same situation even when it would make perfect sense.

I don't see what bizarre strategies you are worried about. It probably won't be any different than 2014 when Idzik tried salvaging something with Harvin and sh*t the bed in that whack-a-doodle press conference.  We been there, done that and all within the past three years.

31 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I'm 40 going on 60, as old school as you can get.

and I loved this, a guy in his hometown having a great time getting the crowd pumped up.

F&ck the Jets, play better and you don't have to worry about this

Yeah people are hating on it, but I thought it was cool too. Nothing about it really felt like he was mocking the Jets or anything like that, just the pure joy of paying football again.

Archived