Jump to content
KRL

Game Observations (JAX)

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Somehow I think it is the coaching......

That is what you have to assume when guys who have never played at a certain level start playing at that level as a group. 

Think even Lee made plays today.....

Somehow, I think it's because Miami and Jacksonville are sh*ttier teams than Buffalo and Oakland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
21 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm IMO it isn't the roster.

For example McCown isn't all of a sudden Fran Trakenton; the fact is the Jets are a bolder and better coached team and it shows and some folks can't handle it.

I'll give you that within reason as we haven't exactly played any world beaters as of yet...and for the defense mostly.

McCown is doing nothing for us throwing 5 yd routes to Kearse and Kerley, or dumping it off to a RB.  Was that our 'plan' for developing an offense this year?  Get a couple of veteran possession receivers to let our 38 yo retread QB to throw to?  On a good team, Kearse is nothing more than a reliable #3 and Kerley maybe a #4/5 WR and someone that can fair catch a punt reliably.  I like what they're doing with ASJ, but I never see Stewart or Hansen sniff the field, and Robby Anderson isn't a great fit for a WCO that takes limited shots downfield.  It took an injury to Forte to have him not get the majority reps in a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Somehow I think it is the coaching......

That is what you have to assume when guys who have never played at a certain level start playing at that level as a group. 

Think even Lee made plays today.....

Interestingly, the announcers were talking about how Bowles stepped away from running the defense this year to focus on being more of a complete head coach. For two years fans have been attacking Kacy Rogers, but maybe he just needed Bowles to leave him alone. This is two bad teams they've beaten, but it's still been nice to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't think it's a terrible idea. If the Jets really want to build toward the future. They have Powell lite with McGuire. Get an extra pick now to put use towards the future when they'll actually try to compete. 

 

Since we will probably drafting at 6-8 take the PSU running back Barkley. He'll be our "Zeke" and hope Petty/ Hack can be the answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Never thought I would see that. But he's been playing out of his mind these last two weeks. And just for shipping Pryor out the door, who I don't think is even playing at all? 

He's on IR for the Jags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I saw someone on twitter mention trading Powell before the deadline. Since he'll be 29, and would probably get a lot more then Forte would at this point. Which are good points, especially with teams like Vikings and Green Bay may be looking for a new RB. 

I thought about that as well but the thing about Powell is that he's a fairly "young 29" meaning he hasn't taken the beating most RB's have by his age mainly b/c he's been mostly a backup/situation RB with Ivory and then Forte carrying the load the last 4 years.  That being said, I still wouldn't be apposed to moving him at the right price as painful as that could be since he's really become a fan favorite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple thoughts on the game

While I think Morton is going a great job with the offense, I was surprised that we kept going with the "Jumbo/Lawernce Thomas" package as the game wore on. The big runs by Powell and Eli Mac were both out of spread formations and we seemed to be having a lot more success spreading the Jags defense out, and a lot less success with the bigger package and trying to run between the tackles.  Just seemed like we went away from what was working.

When Lee went out (granted it was only a couple plays) but Julian Stanford made 2 huge plays.  Ive defended Lee, but this defense might be better with Stanford at ILB and Lee playing more of a hybrid role as a blitzer.

ASJ is a physical specimen, that catch was all about his size and athleticism.  I hope he continues to work hard at being an NFL player, because he could really be a top TE in the league

We have some very good offensive line depth.  People have killed Mac for not  addressing the Oline but we have withstood injuries to 2 starters already and the line didnt miss a beat.  I would still like to find a good center in the draft to hopefully bring the line as a whole up, but they are playing well.

I would love the opportunity to see Petty with this offense.  He has had 6 weeks to completely heal his knee, and 4 weeks of game preparation to further improve his knowledge of the system.  McCown has been fine, but obviously isnt the answer, and with Robby Anderson stretching the field and the RBs being so good in space, I would like to see what Petty could bring to the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes if we cant trade him cut him. 

I don't see a team (Vikings) trading for a guy like Forte and we don't exactly have enough depth to cut Forte. Hopefully, the coaching staff gives him the Apete treatment which basically means you won't see him for more than a couple of plays a game unless there is an injury. This should be the Powell/Mcguire show for the rest of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Couple thoughts on the game

While I think Morton is going a great job with the offense, I was surprised that we kept going with the "Jumbo/Lawernce Thomas" package as the game wore on. The big runs by Powell and Eli Mac were both out of spread formations and we seemed to be having a lot more success spreading the Jags defense out, and a lot less success with the bigger package and trying to run between the tackles.  Just seemed like we went away from what was working.

When Lee went out (granted it was only a couple plays) but Julian Stanford made 2 huge plays.  Ive defended Lee, but this defense might be better with Stanford at ILB and Lee playing more of a hybrid role as a blitzer.

ASJ is a physical specimen, that catch was all about his size and athleticism.  I hope he continues to work hard at being an NFL player, because he could really be a top TE in the league

We have some very good offensive line depth.  People have killed Mac for not  addressing the Oline but we have withstood injuries to 2 starters already and the line didnt miss a beat.  I would still like to find a good center in the draft to hopefully bring the line as a whole up, but they are playing well.

I would love the opportunity to see Petty with this offense.  He has had 6 weeks to completely heal his knee, and 4 weeks of game preparation to further improve his knowledge of the system.  McCown has been fine, but obviously isnt the answer, and with Robby Anderson stretching the field and the RBs being so good in space, I would like to see what Petty could bring to the table.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Thomas crushed a guy which helped spring Powell on the long TD run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I saw someone on twitter mention trading Powell before the deadline. Since he'll be 29, and would probably get a lot more then Forte would at this point. Which are good points, especially with teams like Vikings and Green Bay may be looking for a new RB. 

He'll be 29, but it's not a real NFL running back 29.   He hasn't carried the ball 1500 times in his career, he's not even at 600 career carries.   Because of that, he should last a bit longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

"Those are some nice young running backs you got there..."

Screenshot_20170917-162928~3.png

Screenshot_20171001-203430~6.png

"It'd be a huge shame if....

Screenshot_20171001-203430~2.png

....someone played a washed up vet over them"

 

@Spoot-Face is this your influence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Couple thoughts on the game

While I think Morton is going a great job with the offense, I was surprised that we kept going with the "Jumbo/Lawernce Thomas" package as the game wore on. The big runs by Powell and Eli Mac were both out of spread formations and we seemed to be having a lot more success spreading the Jags defense out, and a lot less success with the bigger package and trying to run between the tackles.  Just seemed like we went away from what was working.

When Lee went out (granted it was only a couple plays) but Julian Stanford made 2 huge plays.  Ive defended Lee, but this defense might be better with Stanford at ILB and Lee playing more of a hybrid role as a blitzer.

ASJ is a physical specimen, that catch was all about his size and athleticism.  I hope he continues to work hard at being an NFL player, because he could really be a top TE in the league

We have some very good offensive line depth.  People have killed Mac for not  addressing the Oline but we have withstood injuries to 2 starters already and the line didnt miss a beat.  I would still like to find a good center in the draft to hopefully bring the line as a whole up, but they are playing well.

I would love the opportunity to see Petty with this offense.  He has had 6 weeks to completely heal his knee, and 4 weeks of game preparation to further improve his knowledge of the system.  McCown has been fine, but obviously isnt the answer, and with Robby Anderson stretching the field and the RBs being so good in space, I would like to see what Petty could bring to the table.

Funny I mentioned this might happen BEFORE the game was played. Jax has a very good, active front 7, Parcells pounded a lot too, it helps you in the 4th quarter slowing those guys down. See below. I'm really liking Morton, guy is flexible which is a good trait in today's NFL. Pack em in, spread em, out, Jets did to the Jags what 3 other teams couldn't, wore their D down a bit. Our Oline is getting better in the run game which takes time. Very impressive by the Oline coach.

"Could Lawrence Thomas be our secret weapon at FB to help out on the right side with Shell out? I could see Morton moving him around a bit, like having an extra lineman who can block, make holes to a RB, and catch out of the backfield. Pretty cool."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Thomas crushed a guy which helped spring Powell on the long TD run. 

He might have - I was speaking more to the formation/personnel grouping of extra TEs and a FB vs 3 wide and running out of a spread formation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is more or less the same offensive line as last year, but it looks very different.  this is what an offense looks like with an OC who has a plan, a system, and a qb who knows the system.  the question is, if petty went in there, would the offense continue to function like this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

this is more or less the same offensive line as last year, but it looks very different.  this is what an offense looks like with an OC who has a plan, a system, and a qb who knows the system.  the question is, if petty went in there, would the offense continue to function like this?

That's the question we don't know. Petty in the times I've watched him never looked comfortable leading but he's never played behind a complete line & this many guys who know the offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Larz said:

I missed a lot of the dolphin game, but the Jets just aren't getting beat deep 

Much love to the rookie safeties 

Hard to judge much off these two wins.  If you watched the Fish yesterday, their O is just awful right now.  Bortles might be the worst QB in the NFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Hard to judge much off these two wins.  If you watched the Fish yesterday, their O is just awful right now.  Bortles might be the worst QB in the NFL

McCown and Anderson have scorched teams deep 

These rookies are playing great 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

This place would come onglued if the Jets did that. 

Normally, I'd agree.  But if Rosen is gone, Barkley is intriguing.  The kid looks like the best RB to come out since AP so far.  Better than Gurley, Elliot and Fournette.  If you're going to make an impact with the pick, he's probably the #1 option.  If the OL improves, we get Q back, and you plug Barkley in there, you might not need Aaron Rodgers to win a SB.  Maybe a FA like Brees decides it's not such a bad place to spend his final year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

This place would come onglued if the Jets did that. 

If Petty steps up this year and shows something, MacDaddy might actually go with probably the best offensive player in the draft. Kid is a marvel! He is an Elliott type player. I'm all for finding a Kareem Hunt in the 3rd, but Barkly is special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Normally, I'd agree.  But if Rosen is gone, Barkley is intriguing.  The kid looks like the best RB to come out since AP so far.  Better than Gurley, Elliot and Fournette.  If you're going to make an impact with the pick, he's probably the #1 option.  If the OL improves, we get Q back, and you plug Barkley in there, you might not need Aaron Rodgers to win a SB.  Maybe a FA like Brees decides it's not such a bad place to spend his final year or two.

Sign me up for Barkley in the first and Luke Falk in the second - running Morton's offense with Enunwa back playing the hybrid H-Back/WR role he played in 2015, with ASJ as TE, Mcguire as a change of pace back, and one FA WR signing to pair with Robby, Adarius and Kearse and that (to me) is an offense that  you can do quite a bit with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Normally, I'd agree.  But if Rosen is gone, Barkley is intriguing.  The kid looks like the best RB to come out since AP so far.  Better than Gurley, Elliot and Fournette.  If you're going to make an impact with the pick, he's probably the #1 option.  If the OL improves, we get Q back, and you plug Barkley in there, you might not need Aaron Rodgers to win a SB.  Maybe a FA like Brees decides it's not such a bad place to spend his final year or two.

In this type of scenario I would be ok with the move. I love the kid. We would still need a qb from someplace and a monster running game will help a young qb develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Petty steps up this year and shows something, MacDaddy might actually go with probably the best offensive player in the draft. Kid is a marvel! He is an Elliott type player. I'm all for finding a Kareem Hunt in the 3rd, but Barkly is special.

That would be a great thing for us. Hopefully Petty gets his shot soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I'll give you that within reason as we haven't exactly played any world beaters as of yet...and for the defense mostly.

McCown is doing nothing for us throwing 5 yd routes to Kearse and Kerley, or dumping it off to a RB.  Was that our 'plan' for developing an offense this year?  Get a couple of veteran possession receivers to let our 38 yo retread QB to throw to?  On a good team, Kearse is nothing more than a reliable #3 and Kerley maybe a #4/5 WR and someone that can fair catch a punt reliably.  I like what they're doing with ASJ, but I never see Stewart or Hansen sniff the field, and Robby Anderson isn't a great fit for a WCO that takes limited shots downfield.  It took an injury to Forte to have him not get the majority reps in a game.

They've sprinkled in Stewart and McGuire's role is certainly increasing with Forte's injury. For me though the biggest thing is having the Oline gel some with a Vet presence. Now that they appear to have stabilized  perhaps it makes it easier to transition to Petty and or Hack. My only complaint at this point like yours is Kerley playing over Stewart/Hansen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KRL said:

Can we please stop the "updated narrative" that MIA & JAX stink now that we beat them.
From what I've been hearing all offseason the Jets had the worst roster in the league
and would be lucky to win a game.  They're 2-2 with another winnable game against CLE
coming up.  That doesn't mean they're going to the playoffs but this is a young team
trending in the right direction.  And don't tell me the fanbase wouldn't be excited
in two weeks if the team is 3-2 with NE coming into MetLife 

The Jets were home underdogs to both teams . The well they stink narrative is of teh SOJF ilk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lee drop was huge because if he catches that, they are in FG range with a first down.  That was the play that changed the game back in the Jets favor.

McCown played a very safe game, and I'm going to look at the tapes to see what kind of formations were the Jags using in this game.  Most defenses have been using 3 wide or 4 wide lines against us, leaving the middle of the field open, and we saw 3 huge runs.  I would like to see if this affected a change.  Once the Rbs were slowed down, McCown was McCown again.  He doesn't do much by himself to win games and it would behoove the Jets to give Petty a shot, which they won't because they are winning right now.  

Bortles sucks.  Caldwell, after rejecting the Jets, went to the Jags and did a really good job of building up that team.  Take out the QB, and they are actually very talented.  Unfortunately, they screwed up big time on Bortles.  Remember, they picked him ahead of Carr/Bridgewater/Garrapolo.  It's a horrendous draft move, one that may cost him his job down the line.  Bortles checks all the boxes in his ability, but he can't read defenses, and his delivery is extremely slow.  I see a bit of Bortles in Josh Allen.   

McGuire is a nice find.  He dropped a bit because his 40 wasn't quite as fast as expected, but he outran the defense yesterday.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×