What are u listening to right now?

On 7/14/2023 at 10:07 PM, southparkcpa said:

With Luke Combs in Charlotte, 2 sold out shows, these young kids do NOT know his hit was a Tracy Chapman hit. SHE is legend. 

"Journalists" for the Washington Post don't know who she is either and created a whole idiotic crapfest on twitter about it.

• Upvote 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:41 PM, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

I always thought this was Santana as it has a vibe Carlos himself would be proud of, but a colleague of mine corrected me. 

I heard that in a movie a long time ago, can't even remember which, and tracked it down immediately and downloaded it.

Definitely emanated out of those 60's rock, jazz, blues jams then

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Speaking of the jazz and funk jams:

You mentioned Santana before, this was an influence on Caravanserai. Particularly the first track. Which is basically an interpretation of this

Santana was influenced heavily by John Coltrane and the spiritual modal jams that Coltrane changed jazz with. Everybody was influenced by him in that regard, not just the jazz musicians that followed him.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:56 PM, JohnJ said:

You mentioned Santana before, this was an influence on Caravanserai. Particularly the first track. Which is basically an interpretation of this

Santana was influenced heavily by John Coltrane and the spiritual modal jams that Coltrane changed jazz with. Everybody was influenced by him in that regard, not just the jazz musicians that followed him.

Thank you for the eduction on this! I like your insights on music. So keep them coming. 

PS would you consider Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" in this category as well?

42 minutes ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

Thank you for the eduction on this! I like your insights on music. So keep them coming. 

PS would you consider Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" in this category as well?

That was kind of an off shoot into jazz rock funk. Definitely started "fusion" with everyone that was associated with that album and In A Silent Way, which I really like.

Coltrane influenced the spiritual modal jazz jams that came before that and influenced so many musicians. 

All that was after Coltrane left the Miles group around the time of Kind Of Blue which is jazz blues

• Upvote 1