Darrelle Revis Contract Issue: MERGED

flgreen

Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should Darrelle Revis just shut up and let negotiations proceed privately?

• Yes. He's not a good public speaker anyway.
    • No. He's being shrewdly advised that this will help him feed his family.

is there talk that new CBA could exclude incentives or are you just pulling that out of a hat?

My point is that no one knows what will and won't be in the new CBA. Most are just assuming things will be the same but the numbers will change and that may very well be the case. I think that is an awfully naive assumption.

The last time there was this much at stake in an NFL labor negotiation, we went from a league with a bizarre version of free agency (remember "Plan B?") to unrestricted free agency and a salary cap.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point is that no one knows what will and won't be in the new CBA. Most are just assuming things will be the same but the numbers will change and that may very well be the case. I think that is an awfully naive assumption.

The last time there was this much at stake in an NFL labor negotiation, we went from a league with a bizarre version of free agency (remember "Plan B?") to unrestricted free agency and a salary cap.

after brady and peyton sign mega deals this offseason there will be too much skin in the game to completely re-write everything. it's not like a new CBA is going to make pork rinds the new currency in the NFL. numbers may go up or down, poison pills might be outlawed, but i highly doubt there will be a massive restructuring of life as we know it. and if there is and a contract contains a term now disallowed by a new cba? the parties re-negotiate or the team argues impossibility of performance and seeks to void the contract.

and if there is and a contract contains a term now disallowed by a new cba? the parties re-negotiate or the team argues impossibility of performance and seeks to void the contract.

You're missing the point. It's not that incentives would be prohibited. It's that they might be treated differently under the new cap. And yes, the whole LTBE/NLTBE business is most certainly something that's ripe for a rewrite.

You're missing the point. It's not that incentives would be prohibited. It's that they might be treated differently under the new cap. And yes, the whole LTBE/NLTBE business is most certainly something that's ripe for a rewrite.

i don't think i'm missing the point, really. yes there is uncertainty now but nearly everyone will have a vested interest in making sure deals made in 2010 don't ruin competition in 2011. so i'm saying, yes theoretically a new cba could say anything but as a practical matter there is only so far from business as usual that it can go without upsetting far too many entrenched interests. the people voting on a new cba are the same people signing deals now.

i don't think i'm missing the point, really. yes there is uncertainty now but nearly everyone will have a vested interest in making sure deals made in 2010 don't ruin competition in 2011. so i'm saying, yes theoretically a new cba could say anything but as a practical matter there is only so far from business as usual that it can go without upsetting far too many entrenched interests. the people voting on a new cba are the same people signing deals now.

Nobody's doing deals. The owners are looking for something like a 20% reduction in revenue sharing and will get at least half that, and the union's got no better rejoinder than 'we double dare you' because Upshaw screwed the pooch and then dropped dead from whatever he caught from it. This isn't a departure from business as usual. It's the return to it. The millionaires dance for the billionaires, not the other way around.

Exactly twenty million guaranteed dollars less than it is now. You've screwed him up completely and haven't gotten anywhere near an actual endgame. Congrats. Let's just make it easy and say he sits the whole year. Now what?

Revis can be 27 and the highest paid defender in football on another team. the Jets can be mediocre.

Revis can be 27 and the highest paid defender in football on another team. the Jets can be mediocre.

No non-quarterback is the difference between a Super Bowl contender and a mediocre team, nobody's paying Revis that kind of money after three years out of football, and you've reached that point where you start saying stuff you don't even believe. It's been fun.

No non-quarterback is the difference between a Super Bowl contender and a mediocre team, nobody's paying Revis that kind of money after three years out of football, and you've reached that point where you start saying stuff you don't even believe. It's been fun.

are you woody's accountant? Why don't you root for Revis? he's the Jets. Not Woody.

are you woody's accountant? Why don't you root for Revis? he's the Jets. Not Woody.

Are you Woody's accountant? You're the one running around screaming that Woody's cash poor, when anyone with any ounce of football knowledge can tell you that the reason nobody is signing their own players is because of the absence of a CBA.

Are the Colts cash poor because they haven't signed Peyton Manning yet? Are the Patriots cash poor because they haven't signed Tom Brady yet? Your stupid theories hold no water and it's ridiculous to think that some people actually read your posts and think that you actually know what the hell you're talking about.

Revis took himself out of practice yesterday, then bragged about it, then backpedaled, all because he's clearly not as confident in his leverage as you are, otherwise he'd have stayed away altogether. Your New York Jets. Not mine.

imagine this thing escalates... Revis holds out all TC. He misses week 1. the ravens go all ballistic with their new passing attack, Anquan Bolden has a big game and the Jets lose on MNF.

What's Revis' leverage then?

What's Revis' leverage if they lose to the Pats week 2? Randy Moss has a field day against the rookie or Cromartie.

the sad truth, the Jets need Revis more than Revis needs the Jets.

Are you suggesting Revis is hoping the Jets start the season 0-2 without him?

the sad truth, the Jets need Revis more than Revis needs the Jets.

how many other ways can revis makes millions of dollars a year ?

the jets have his rights for 3 years more years, right ?

let uncle sean talk him into sitting for 3 years :rolleyes:

he needs the jets about 12.5 million times more than the jets need him

The sad truth is all that "Humble athlete" sh!t Revis was talking and that perception of him was/is all bullsh!t. Revis is a great player, best in the league @ his position. He's also f-cking greedy, selfish and is clearly NOT the TEAM player we percieved him to be. It was fun while it lasted, he's just another money grubbing athlete, like the whole lot of em. Hope he gets his mega payday, while being the "Superstar" on a team that no longer has its core.

The sad truth is all that "Humble athlete" sh!t Revis was talking and that perception of him was/is all bullsh!t. Revis is a great player, best in the league @ his position. He's also f-cking greedy, selfish and is clearly NOT the TEAM player we percieved him to be. It was fun while it lasted, he's just another money grubbing athlete, like the whole lot of em. Hope he gets his mega payday, while being the "Superstar" on a team that no longer has its core.

What are you talking about Dark?

What makes him greedy? Last I heard dude is "negotiating".

What makes him not a TEAM player? Dude participated in voluntary OTA's and has showed up for Mini camp.

What makes him selfish? I've heard with my own ears how he empathized when Jones was shipped out when he didnt take a pay cut through ran for over 1,400 yds and broke Jet TD records. I heard him empathize when they shipped Washington out of town as well.

Money grubbing athlete huh? So the Jets organization with their PSL's arent money Grubbing right?

lol. This has nothing to do with the real issue, you're a fan and you just want to see the best of what we have on the team come together an win a superbowl. Bottomline is that when you draft very well like Tanny has and you draft the best CB in the league, the best Center in the league, a top 5 LT in the league, top 5 MLB in the league etc. These guys tend to want to get paid for the "Job" that they provide.

Stop with the Revis hate already.

What are you talking about Dark?

What makes him greedy? Last I heard dude is "negotiating".

What makes him not a TEAM player? Dude participated in voluntary OTA's and has showed up for Mini camp.

What makes him selfish? I've heard with my own ears how he empathized when Jones was shipped out when he didnt take a pay cut through ran for over 1,400 yds and broke Jet TD records. I heard him empathize when they shipped Washington out of town as well.

Money grubbing athlete huh? So the Jets organization with their PSL's arent money Grubbing right?

lol. This has nothing to do with the real issue, you're a fan and you just want to see the best of what we have on the team come together an win a superbowl. Bottomline is that when you draft very well like Tanny has and you draft the best CB in the league, the best Center in the league, a top 5 LT in the league, top 5 MLB in the league etc. These guys tend to want to get paid for the "Job" that they provide.

Stop with the Revis hate already.

I dont hate Revis, just not gonna kiss his ass and/or dick ride him while he bitches and moans about not being able to feed his family on his current salary.

Revis is not the Jets he is one player on a team that has a 50 year history. The Jets and their success as a team is much more about ownership and management than it will ever be about 1 player.

Most of us were Jets fans before Revis ever put on a Jets Jersey and most if lucky will be Jets fans long after he's gone. Love to see him stay but it's a team game and it's a fans game. As a smaller proportion of players take a larger portion of the revenue and you couple that with an economy that is squeezing down affordability to a larger and larger portion of the fan base the teams will sufer the consequences.

The Jets like almost every company across the globe is going to survive the current economy by bottom line management not top line growth. The game is changing for the teams the players and the fans. Darrell Revis is not bigger than the Jets organization.

The Jets are a one and done win this year team. You can see the greed quotation going off the tracks. The lockout will happen, players will be unloaded.

It's time to play hardball with Revis. No need to keep insulting him with new offers. He has to feed his family, the idea that he will hold and and turn back money that he allready earned when he is clearly obsessed about money is absurd.

By the way if we happen to win the first two and Cro and Wilson play really well Revis value goes down considerably.

I dont hate Revis, just not gonna kiss his ass while he bitches and moans about not being able to feed his family on his current salary.

Then pardon my words Dark. You dont hate him, but bitching and moaning is not what I see here. I see that after practice for 13 of the 15 minutes the media is asking Revis about the contract and not about practice. I dont see Revis walking up to reports and just start "talking".

Again, I think that Revis is simply negotiating and is answering questions.

Do I like that he stopped practice to prove a point? No. But if he needs to prove a point then he did and then he went back to work. He didnt pull a Brandon Marshall and started kicking the football with the punter.

I just don't understand. This should be unanimous because it's really, really ****ing simple. If a team wants to cut a player, that's fine. It's the way the system works. If a player wants to hold out, that's fine. Again, that's how it works. If a team and player want to contract for the player to essentially give up his ability to hold out in exchange for valuable consideration, that too is fine. But as we can now see, it's not necessarily advisable for the team to paint the player into a corner like that because it leaves him with no recourse save for tanking, and the **** Revis pulled cannot be interpreted other than as a threat to do just that. There are very few things that are really unforgivable but this is one of them. This is the guy you want to trust with the other team's #1 in the Super Bowl? Really?

The Jets like almost every company across the globe is going to survive the current economy by bottom line management not top line growth. The game is changing for the teams the players and the fans. Darrell Revis is not bigger than the Jets organization.

Jets fans have been sucked into the propoganda. That Somehow Revis is being greedy expecting fair market value for his services.

Here's the news the Jets haven't cut a decent sized check to one of their own players for maybe 5 years. Bryan Thomas?

They had money for Favre, Faneca, Woody, Scott and Pace. No one said boo when Woody made Alan Faneca the highest paid OL in the league.

Now they have a crop of drafted 1st and 2nd team all pros that can't get paid... and it's the players fault? BS.

Why even bother drafting all-pros? Why not draft bums? Don't have to pay bums. Or trade out of the 1st round every year like Belly.

The Jets are wrong here, not Revis. Revis is the best defender in the NFL, he shouldn't settle for Asante Samuel money cause Woody paid 2005 prices on steel. Or live in a fantasy market where somehow the only other Man to man shut down corner in the league's contract is an out lier.

Revis should have been done in Feb. Mangold should have been done in April. We should be talking about how great 2010 is gonna be, not how the players are greedy or how they can live without Revis.

If they don't pay Revis, take the Super Bowl hopes and flush em down the toilet. Everyone in the locker room saw what happened to Leon. The Jets can't neglect their core and expect everything will be fine.

I just don't understand. This should be unanimous because it's really, really ****ing simple. If a team wants to cut a player, that's fine. It's the way the system works. If a player wants to hold out, that's fine. Again, that's how it works. If a team and player want to contract for the player to essentially give up his ability to hold out in exchange for valuable consideration, that too is fine. But as we can now see, it's not necessarily advisable for the team to paint the player into a corner like that because it leaves him with no recourse save for tanking, and the **** Revis pulled cannot be interpreted other than as a threat to do just that. There are very few things that are really unforgivable but this is one of them. This is the guy you want to trust with the other team's #1 in the Super Bowl? Really?

I think this episode has been sufficiently overblown at this point in time.

This is a player who's been a model of professionalism for his entire career here - on and off the field - all while performing at the absolute highest level. There have been no issues with him. Not one.

He's frustrated with his contract situation, but he's still showing up for the majority of voluntary practices. But he's still frustrated. He shows it a bit by sitting out a couple plays at the end of a practice. I don't like it, either, but he's still a kid in my eyes at just about 26 years old. It's understandable. I have a feeling that he and Rex have talked and that sort of thing won't be happening again. It's way out of character for him.

This is far, far cry from Brandon Marshall batting down balls for the camera in Denver last year. I can't believe how quickly people want to jump down Darrelle's throat. This is the best player on the team, maybe the best defensive player in the NFL. He wants to be paid accordingly but - it's so unfair to me as a fan! :1cry:

People suggesting that Revis grow up should grow up themselves. He's making $1M, he's worth $15M, and he wants to be making something a lot closer to what he's worth - just like every G-D person posting in this thread.

Jets fans have been sucked into the propoganda. That Somehow Revis is being greedy expecting fair market value for his services.

Here's the news the Jets haven't cut a decent sized check to one of their own players for maybe 5 years. Bryan Thomas?

They had money for Favre, Faneca, Woody, Scott and Pace. No one said boo when Woody made Alan Faneca the highest paid OL in the league.

Now they have a crop of drafted 1st and 2nd team all pros that can't get paid... and it's the players fault? BS.

Why even bother drafting all-pros? Why not draft bums? Don't have to pay bums. Or trade out of the 1st round every year like Belly.

The Jets are wrong here, not Revis. Revis is the best defender in the NFL, he shouldn't settle for Asante Samuel money cause Woody paid 2005 prices on steel. Or live in a fantasy market where somehow the only other Man to man shut down corner in the league's contract is an out lier.

Revis should have been done in Feb. Mangold should have been done in April. We should be talking about how great 2010 is gonna be, not how the players are greedy or how they can live without Revis.

If they don't pay Revis, take the Super Bowl hopes and flush em down the toilet. Everyone in the locker room saw what happened to Leon. The Jets can't neglect their core and expect everything will be fine.

You are the one trying to spread propaganda here, Bit. What decent-sized check did the Jets not write that you feel they should have? $7M+ per season for Leon Washington? lol

They haven't written many recent megadeals for players they've drafted because only many garbage Herm/Bradway-drafted players had contracts coming up until now.

But just to prove your point wrong anyway, the Jets did sign a ****-for-brains prima donna safety for almost $7M per year with $20M guaranteed, which I'm pretty sure was the 2nd-highest safety contract in NFL history at the time (marginally less than Bob Sanders's deal). Lot of good that did. His play went downhill almost instantly, culminating in a moody temper-tantrum with his DC who then benched him.

They also extended Cotchery for $4M/yr in 2007 - good money at the time - and he hasn't (yet) complained one bit about his deal. He's seemed more like the type that says to himself, "Holy hell, these fools want to pay me $20M to join a gym and play football."

They re-signed Brandon Moore last year after releasing him. Moore shopped himself around briefly and it seems the Jets offered him more than anyone else.

They even gave Sione Pouha a $2M/year extension while he still pretty-much sucked even for a backup. Lucky they did because it saved the 2009 season.

Who else did you want the Jets to give a huge contract to? Justin Miller? Adrian Jones? Mike Nugent? Victor Hobson? Chris Baker?

Entering this season, the GM the Jets employ has been the envy of all football fans. Leave it to a Jets fan to cry "Woe is us!" to finally have the best GM in football paired with an owner who (despite the warranted PSL criticism) has always demonstrated he's willing to pay top-dollar on this franchise.

You are the one trying to spread propaganda here, Bit. What decent-sized check did the Jets not write that you feel they should have? $7M+ per season for Leon Washington? lol

They haven't written many recent megadeals for players they've drafted because only many garbage Herm/Bradway-drafted players had contracts coming up until now.

But just to prove your point wrong anyway, the Jets did sign a ****-for-brains prima donna safety for almost $7M per year with $20M guaranteed, which I'm pretty sure was the 2nd-highest safety contract in NFL history at the time (marginally less than Bob Sanders's deal). Lot of good that did. His play went downhill almost instantly, culminating in a moody temper-tantrum with his DC who then benched him.

They also extended Cotchery for $4M/yr in 2007 - good money at the time - and he hasn't (yet) complained one bit about his deal. He's seemed more like the type that says to himself, "Holy hell, these fools want to pay me $20M to join a gym and play football."

They re-signed Brandon Moore last year after releasing him. Moore shopped himself around briefly and it seems the Jets offered him more than anyone else.

They even gave Sione Pouha a $2M/year extension while he still pretty-much sucked even for a backup. Lucky they did because it saved the 2009 season.

Who else did you want the Jets to give a huge contract to? Justin Miller? Adrian Jones? Mike Nugent? Victor Hobson? Chris Baker?

Entering this season, the GM the Jets employ has been the envy of all football fans. Leave it to a Jets fan to cry "Woe is us!" to finally have the best GM in football paired with an owner who (despite the warranted PSL criticism) has always demonstrated he's willing to pay top-dollar on this franchise.

Boom. Roasted.

Now, let me first start off by saying that I never usually side with a player, since what these guys get paid is ridiculous and if you cannot feed your family on a million or more dollars a year, you need to check youself.

With that said. Let me say that Reavis needs to get paid, not $16 million a year but please add some guaranteed money to a $10 million a year contract. How about 3 years, $30 million average, with $10 mil guaranteed?

If the Jets want to be a good team for the next couple years, why not lock up some of these young guys, especially on a year where there is not a cap. If they want to "walk the walk" based on the talk, then do it. With the way they finished last year, they need to keep the momentum going with the fan base and why not sign the players that can make this happen.

There is only upside here. Sign Reavis, you get a young talent and a difference maker. Take him out of this equation and who do they replace him with? No one that's who. Will they finish better than last year, no?

The goal is to win a championship. What way do you do that? Put the best players on the field and according to Woody and Rex, he is the best defensive player that is in the game today. I am not saying to spend 16 mil like, what's his name in Oakland but make hime the second highest, reasonable contract in the game, next to Asante Samual (9.5 mil).

Fans want the championship, they are primed to get there. Take Reavis out and there is no championship. Jets want fans in the seat, what is the best way to do that but win a championship.

After signing Reavis, sign Mangold.

The Jets have hit the max payroll for NFL teams every year since Woody is here. They have built one of if not the best player facilities in the league. Sorry but before this year there was a cap and there will be a cap again. Your thinking is simply pure BS.

Revis, Mangold, DBrick, Gholston, Harris all got top dollar rookie contracts and some of them have played to expectations, some of them haven't and that's life in a Union deal.

Every single player on the Jets has been paid and paid well. The Jets have made the work environment for the players the best in the business on top of it they have a highly skilled coaching staff that is about as player friendly as it gets.

You act like the Jets are a cheap organization running a sweat shop in China. They have done nothing but cater to the players since Woody got here.

Revis isn't being greedy he is acting like a spoiled petulant child who deserves more simply for doing the job he was contracted and agreed to do.

The Jets are a win now team. There is going to be a lockout next year and reality is the Jets aren't going to be able to sign Revis, Mangold and DBrick if their goal is to be the highest paid players at their position and to renegiotate every time they feel they are actually performing at a high level. The Jets should hardball all of them. That's what the Pats did and they built a mini dynasty doing it.

The Jets have hit the max payroll for NFL teams every year since Woody is here. They have built one of if not the best player facilities in the league. Sorry but before this year there was a cap and there will be a cap again. Your thinking is simply pure BS.

Revis, Mangold, DBrick, Gholston, Harris all got top dollar rookie contracts and some of them have played to expectations, some of them haven't and that's life in a Union deal.

Every single player on the Jets has been paid and paid well. The Jets have made the work environment for the players the best in the business on top of it they have a highly skilled coaching staff that is about as player friendly as it gets.

You act like the Jets are a cheap organization running a sweat shop in China. They have done nothing but cater to the players since Woody got here.

Revis isn't being greedy he is acting like a spoiled petulant child who deserves more simply for doing the job he was contracted and agreed to do.

The Jets are a win now team. There is going to be a lockout next year and reality is the Jets aren't going to be able to sign Revis, Mangold and DBrick if their goal is to be the highest paid players at their position and to renegiotate every time they feel they are actually performing at a high level. The Jets should hardball all of them. That's what the Pats did and they built a mini dynasty doing it.

The Jets are hardballing Revis. He has no choice but to come and play...And if hes going to have to be here anyway, there's no way he's going to become a cancer and ruin his reputation for teams that would consider paying a hefty price to trade for him over the next couple of years.

If Revis's demands remain too unreasonable given the Jets situation, then they will let the year play out. We'll be able to assess how good Cromartie and Wilson are, and we'll be able to gauge the demands of Cro vs Revis. If we feel signing Cro is a better option than we'll do that and look to trade Revis. Probably get a couple 1st rders and a conditional 3rd or 4th or something along those lines. We draft another CB, another LB...And the core is still there.

To be fair, in Mangold's case, this is the last year of his rookie deal and they haven't made him an offer yet. At the same time, what do they offer? If the salary cap is indeed $20M less (probably won't be), you're talking about a 17% decrease in what any team can spend. Theoretically, that should translate to contracts that are 17% lower than they would otherwise be. Do the Jets offer Mangold the $8M-ish per year he'd probably get on the open market (under the old CBA), or do the Jets offer him 17% less than that?

The part that is a bit unfair (to this team or any other) is that as a matter of practicality the player can negotiate in the press and the team cannot. If a player does and looks petty, most turn a blind eye to it and blame the agent; or they understand this is an individual trying to get the most money he can from a billion-dollar conglomerate for his life's one big payday. He can do United Way commercials and give nice-guy interviews after it's over and all is forgiven and forgotten. Conversely, if the team negotiates through the press it's always bad. It's bad for morale of players on the team and it's bad for other players they'd like to attract to the team.

So while the team isn't replying to the comments Revis is making other than the truthful "We'd like to get a deal done" stuff, Revis has changed his story. First it was that the Jets promised to address his contract. Then that changed to them promising to redo his current contract. Now he's claiming they promised to make him the highest-paid CB, which effectively means they promised to pay him $16M per season.

Anyone who cares to can see Revis is now lying (like with his hammy) and just making it up as he goes along.

I've agreed with you through most of this thread, but that last bit? Yes, really. I couldn't think of anybody I would rather trust with the other team's #1 in the Super Bowl or any other game.

I agree with the Slats. The tanking threat, like the contract dispute in general, is getting overblown. Nothing else to talk about.

If Revis tanks thats only going to hurt him going forward. No team will ever be willing to pay top dollar for a CB whose numbers are mediocre at best, first of all. Second of all, no team will even pay mediocre salary for a player that purposely tanks when he still has 3 yrs left on his contract.

Archived