Movies We've Seen Thread

I have a co-worker that often recites the entire "coffee is for closer" scene.  I think we all do but just thought I'd mention it. 

My boss has been saying stuff from this movie for years. I finally get it. Lol

"Coffee is for closers"

8 hours ago, prime21 said:

Finally saw Glen Gary Glen Ross.  Holy crap what a movie.  The movie is not great but the actors and one liners are hilarious which make the movie very memorable and something I could watch again and again for laughs.

did you get the patel lead ?

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I couldn't bring myself to watch BvS, but I'm dying to go see Civil War. These previews are siiiiiick

already have my tickets for friday night. First movie im seeing on opening night since The Hangover

8 hours ago, Larz said:

so I don't want to see civil war but all of my kids friends are going so I will probably take them

if anyone goes tonight can you please give me the parental rundown ?

txs 

Same envelope as Ultron and Winter Soldier. If those were fine for them Civil War will be. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Civil War is the sh*t. They need to do a spinoff movie where Falcon and Bucky go off and have kooky adventures together.

I would have liked a little more of those two. Also, I'm pretty excited that Spider-Man is now in the MCU.   

• Upvote 1

So saw the film last night.  It was very good but not perfect or the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like some people and critics are claiming.

The Good 

Spidey - holy sh*t was he awesome, for the relatively short amount of screen time he got, he stole every scene he was in

Black Panther - He had such screen presence and delivered in a big way, very excited for his solo film

RDJ - I think we are starting to take for granted his performances, he was great as usual

The action - wow, the airport battle is probably the best action sequence I have ever seen in a super hero film

All of the secondary heroes get some shine and the Russos really handled that well.  Scarlet Witch, Ant Man, Falcon, Vision, Falcon are all great.

The Bad or not so great 

Marvel still has a villian problem, Besides Loki and Thanos (to come) there villians have been underwhelming.  They effed up Mandarin, Red Skull and killed Ronan and the villian in this film, while well constructed was meh.

Bucky - I am sorry and I know I am in the minority on this, but his character does nothing for me.  This is the second film where he is the majority of the plot focus.  I just don't get it, and I think it is because of the lack of villains.  

The ending was a bit anti climactic to me.  

Overall it is still very good and definitely a top 5 Marvel film.  Not sure it is better than the first Avengers or Iron Man, but it is pretty damn fun and entertaining.

1 hour ago, gqxluvx said:

So saw the film last night.  It was very good but not perfect or the "greatest superhero movie ever made" like some people and critics are claiming.

The Good 

Spidey - holy sh*t was he awesome, for the relatively short amount of screen time he got, he stole every scene he was in

Black Panther - He had such screen presence and delivered in a big way, very excited for his solo film

RDJ - I think we are starting to take for granted his performances, he was great as usual

The action - wow, the airport battle is probably the best action sequence I have ever seen in a super hero film

All of the secondary heroes get some shine and the Russos really handled that well.  Scarlet Witch, Ant Man, Falcon, Vision, Falcon are all great.

The Bad or not so great 

Marvel still has a villian problem, Besides Loki and Thanos (to come) there villians have been underwhelming.  They effed up Mandarin, Red Skull and killed Ronan and the villian in this film, while well constructed was meh.

Bucky - I am sorry and I know I am in the minority on this, but his character does nothing for me.  This is the second film where he is the majority of the plot focus.  I just don't get it, and I think it is because of the lack of villains.  

The ending was a bit anti climactic to me.  

Overall it is still very good and definitely a top 5 Marvel film.  Not sure it is better than the first Avengers or Iron Man, but it is pretty damn fun and entertaining.

There have been rumblings as of late that Fox and Marvel are maybe going to strike up a deal for Doom and Galactus. Sad reality is the weakness of villains in the MCU is because Fox bought all of them when Marvel almost went under. 

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There have been rumblings as of late that Fox and Marvel are maybe going to strike up a deal for Doom and Galactus. Sad reality is the weakness of villains in the MCU is because Fox bought all of them when Marvel almost went under. 

Agreed, the issue is two fold.  One as you mentioned they don't have rights to some of the better villains, but even some of the better villains they have used I don't feel were used as well as they could of.  Even Crossbones was a throw away in this film.

28 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

Agreed, the issue is two fold.  One as you mentioned they don't have rights to some of the better villains, but even some of the better villains they have used I don't feel were used as well as they could of.  Even Crossbones was a throw away in this film.

Not that I disagree but Marvel tends to make their flicks more about the stars. I suppose the idea that a movie starring Crossbones probably wouldn't make a billion dollars has something to do with that. These flicks are essentially an ATM for Disney and it seems like the only things they're going to take risks with are the Netflix shows. Also worth noting that they just got the rights to the Spidey villains too. There is a stigma about Marvel that it's weaker on villains than DC, which I think is misplaced. Majority of Marvel's better villains honestly just belong to the X-Men and Spider-man sects and it's been that way since the 60s; and telling a Marvel movie that it can't use Doom, Magneto, or Galactus is like telling a Batman movie that it can't use the Joker and Two-Face.

The probably mishandled Ultron and Red Skull a little bit too. Not a lot of foresight for the long game with either of those guys.

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2016 at 2:24 PM, JiF said:

I saw Creed this weekend and have no idea why everyone thought this was a great movie.  It was embarrassingly cheesy.  Some the scenes were hard to watch.

I actually didnt hate the story and the plot so therefore I didnt hate the movie.  Mostly because I'm a sucker for the father/son type bonding movies (which this kind of was but wasnt) but man, that was one cheesy ass movie.

Agreed.  Very overrated.

24 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not that I disagree but Marvel tends to make their flicks more about the stars. I suppose the idea that a movie starring Crossbones probably wouldn't make a billion dollars has something to do with that. These flicks are essentially an ATM for Disney and it seems like the only things they're going to take risks with are the Netflix shows. Also worth noting that they just got the rights to the Spidey villains too. There is a stigma about Marvel that it's weaker on villains than DC, which I think is misplaced. Majority of Marvel's better villains honestly just belong to the X-Men and Spider-man sects and it's been that way since the 60s; and telling a Marvel movie that it can't use Doom, Magneto, or Galactus is like telling a Batman movie that it can't use the Joker and Two-Face.

The probably mishandled Ultron and Red Skull a little bit too. Not a lot of foresight for the long game with either of those guys.

Ultron would have been better, actually how it was handled in the cartoons and comics. 

Have an invading army (like in the Avengers).   Create Ultron to help fight that off.   Then, in the next movie, you try to upgrade him and he goes all Sky Net and tries to take over the world.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I read (don't have a link) that the next big phase is where the Skrulls start to invade.   Skrulls being shape shifting aliens who can look like anyone. 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Same envelope as Ultron and Winter Soldier. If those were fine for them Civil War will be. 

I am concerned if Ultron was fine for them.   Not that there is anything inappropriate for kids.  More inaproppriate for everyone.

On 5/1/2016 at 5:44 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Snakes on a Plane has aged like a fine wine.

+1 

Watched it with the kids.  They usually turn everything off, but this got "Why are there snakes on that plane?" and "**** that guy he deserves it after what he did to that dog."

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Agreed.  Very overrated.

This really scared me.  I was going to call 9-1-1.   You have the same avatar as Max and if he posted that it would mean the zombie apocalypse hit for sure.

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am concerned if Ultron was fine for them.   Not that there is anything inappropriate for kids.  More inaproppriate for everyone.

+1 

Watched it with the kids.  They usually turn everything off, but this got "Why are there snakes on that plance?" and "**** that guy he deserves it after what he did to that dog."

This really scared me.  I was going to call 9-1-1.   You have the same avatar as Max and if he posted that it would mean the zombie apocalypse hit for sure.

Yeah, I made my avatar this:

gop-2016-trump.jpg

And the mods pulled it, saying it was "political."  I just thought it was hilarious, and any political content was based on the viewers projections.  They did not care and I've been too lazy to replace it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I read (don't have a link) that the next big phase is where the Skrulls start to invade.   Skrulls being shape shifting aliens who can look like anyone. 

I think that's been the clear path since The Dark World. The intro of the Kree and Skrulls and transition to Thanos paves the way nicely for Infinity Gauntlet.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I tried watching it again when it came out for rental. The only part I can say I really enjoyed was that chase scene in the middle with Cap. Marvel had the right idea in transitioning from Whedon over to the Russo Bros, pretty clear Whedon's heart wasn't in that flick at all.

On May 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Thor99 said:

It's pretty gosh darned awesome.  

On May 5, 2016 at 10:25 PM, JoeC36 said:

already have my tickets for friday night. First movie im seeing on opening night since The Hangover

Saw it and liked it. Thought Avengers I and Winter Soldier were better overall, but this is in that tier. 

To echo some of the sentiments above, I love the re-do of Spider-Man, and I thought Chadwick Boseman/Black Panther was the most interesting thing in the movie. 

Am I the only person on the planet who didn't get Disney's Loki bribe? Why does the world insist this guy is a good villain?!?!?!

I liked Civil War. Black Panther was really well done, though they could get rid of the whole roll + battle cat pose thing every time he takes a hit. The scene between he and Zemo at the end, and the post-credit scene, really did the character some justice. RDJ once again killed it as Tony Stark, which never ceases to amaze me since that character absolutely sucks (everyone knew it before the movies too, now he's yuuuge). Spider-Man offered a legitimate highlight with the skirmish between he, Bucky, and Falcon, but otherwise the character felt way out of place and shoehorned in for the sake of money and to satisfy Hollywood's obsession with youth. I thought ex-girlfriend Scarlett Jo was really good, and Renner bravely plowed through being Hawkguy or whatever once again. Scarlett Witch...Elizabeth Olsen is another one I keep reading is supposed to be good, but beyond the runaway cultist movie I don't get it. She is horrendous in this movie. I look forward to Thunderbolt Ross as a more active antagonist.

Now that The VVitch is available, everyone should buy and watch. The first and last few minutes alone are worth it, and it's a damn good movie in between.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saw it and liked it. Thought Avengers I and Winter Soldier were better overall, but this is in that tier. 

To echo some of the sentiments above, I love the re-do of Spider-Man, and I thought Chadwick Boseman/Black Panther was the most interesting thing in the movie. 

I loved it.  Really liked Spiderman and Black Panther.  It might be my favorite yet, and the scene with Ant Man creating a big diversion was epic.

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

I loved it.  Really liked Spiderman and Black Panther.  It might be my favorite yet, and the scene with Ant Man creating a big diversion was epic.

I didn't really love the airport fight. one of the central arguments of the movie (though quickly abandoned) was over the need for oversight of superhumans...and then the superhumans casually destroy an airport during what is, in effect, a scrimmage. 

13 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Am I the only person on the planet who didn't get Disney's Loki bribe? Why does the world insist this guy is a good villain?!?!?!

I liked Civil War. Black Panther was really well done, though they could get rid of the whole roll + battle cat pose thing every time he takes a hit. The scene between he and Zemo at the end, and the post-credit scene, really did the character some justice. RDJ once again killed it as Tony Stark, which never ceases to amaze me since that character absolutely sucks (everyone knew it before the movies too, now he's yuuuge). Spider-Man offered a legitimate highlight with the skirmish between he, Bucky, and Falcon, but otherwise the character felt way out of place and shoehorned in for the sake of money and to satisfy Hollywood's obsession with youth. I thought ex-girlfriend Scarlett Jo was really good, and Renner bravely plowed through being Hawkguy or whatever once again. Scarlett Witch...Elizabeth Olsen is another one I keep reading is supposed to be good, but beyond the runaway cultist movie I don't get it. She is horrendous in this movie. I look forward to Thunderbolt Ross as a more active antagonist.

Now that The VVitch is available, everyone should buy and watch. The first and last few minutes alone are worth it, and it's a damn good movie in between.

Ha. They do get caught up with the hero landings (one of my favorite jokes in Deadpool). At least they stopped doing the landing-closeup on Scarlett Johansson every fickimg time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ha. They do get caught up with the hero landings (one of my favorite jokes in Deadpool). At least they stopped doing the landing-closeup on Scarlett Johansson every fickimg time.

I'd be lying if I said I didnt think of Deadpool with every one they did

• Upvote 2