Mason and Brunell Hurt

stoicsentry

| More Print

4:20 PM, August 19, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Wide receiver Derrick Mason and quarterback Mark Brunell left Jets practice early Friday with an apparent leg injuries.

Mason was limping, saw a trainer and stayed the on sideline.

Brunell rolled out then walked off the field very slowly with a trainer. It appeared the 40-year-old may have pulled something.Brunell did not play in the Jets preseason opener Monday due to an injured finger, leaving rookie Greg McElroy to play three quarters against the Texans.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/mason_brunell_leave_jets_practice_RXarG8owoENQ9eGYkWLeSM#ixzz1VVg9DJgA

We don't need this waste of space. McElroy is easily our best option at 2nd string. Cut this old fart now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell yea. I bet Jim Sorgi is brought in. He was Peyton Mannings backup for years and familiar with Tom Moore.

Barf but I guess anything an improvement over the stetson man...how about Trent Edwards after Oakland cuts him? Atleast he's still young.

Can you tell us which ones are epically stupid? I'd like to laugh as well, as long as I'm not one of the dummies.

Join the Thesaurus/I'm So Smart/Witty Club, clears all of that up. Garb dictates who the members are though, so you're going to have to demean her a bit to get on board. Totally worth it.

LMFAO

This post is hilarious on so many levels.

Especially now that he has an ambutated leg.

That's not funny! This is serious bizness ya lowlife!

This is fantastic... thread of the year in the making!

CUT HIM.

I lol at this.

I dont want to see any player injured. But the likelihood of this happening when your 40 and playing in the NFL increases. Get well Mark Brunell.

LOOKS LIKE WE WILL BE IN THE MARKET FOR A BACKUP QB.

A lowlife usually does laugh at a professional athletes injury.

And then this happened...and I'm not even done yet!!!!

So excited.

No country for old men

August, 19, 2011 Aug 19

By Jane McManus

It was a tough day of practice for the brittle old men on the team. QB Mark Brunell, who already missed reps with a left pinky injury, showed a significant limp as he walked off the practice field with a team doctor. It appeared to be his left leg. The 40-year-old backup didn’t emerge, and the team later said he had a calf injury.

Earlier, 37-year-old wide receiver Derrick Mason’s knee was looked at. He came back on the field but didn’t take part in any team drills. Both Mason and Brunell are questionable for Sunday night’s Bengals preseason game.

It was also a tough day for the considerably younger Mark Sanchez. The starting QB made 9 of 17 throws in team drills. He was nearly picked off by S Brodney Pool on a throw to WR Santonio Holmes, CB Antonio Cromartie almost nabbed a ball intended for WR Plaxico Burress and S Eric Smith got a hand on a throw to TE Dustin Keller.

Sanchez launched four balls at Burress, and the wide caught two of them. The most impressive was in the first series, when Sanchez found Burress in full stride up the left sideline. Over Cromartie, it would have been a 78-yard touchdown and the reason the Jets brought the recently unproven 6-foot-5 receiver in.

Diggs for gold: S James Ihedigbo, who played a lot of special teams for the Jets, signed with teh Patriots and announced it on his Twitter account. He will join former Jets DE Shaun Ellis and WR Danny Woodhead.

Special practice: Kicker Nick Folk was 3 for 3 on field goals, while Nick Novak missed one. Punter T.J. Conley held for both kickers, which could be a clue about who is leading in that position battle. Folk has used Brunell as a holder in the past, but the QB wasn’t an option Friday.

Greene responds: The Jets updated the condition of running back Shonn Greene by saying he is responding well to the antibiotics. That’s a good sign, since a poor response could be a sign that it’s an antibiotic-resistant strain — a much more serious infection and potential problem for the entire organization.

Dwight stuff: Cornerback Dwight Lowery had a “sack” on Sanchez (just touch, no tackle-to-the-ground drills) and an interception with Greg McElroy at QB. Marquice Cole also had an interception.

Mac Attack: It wasn’t McElroy’s finest outing, and he’ll have another trial by fire this Sunday with Brunell potentially out. Ryan had said he wanted to get Brunell a lot of snaps on Sunday, bringing McElroy later, “and hopefully not get him smashed,” Ryan said. That task just got a lot harder.

Archived