FO: Sanchez falls to 28th in QB Rankings

Jetsfan80

28th in DYAR (-6), 30th in DVOA (-11.7 %).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

1. Tom Brady (698 DYAR, 56.0 % DVOA)

2. Aaron Rodgers (650, 54.8)

3. Drew Brees (492, 28.5)

4. Matt Hasselbeck (462, 43.2)

5. Ryan Fitzpatrick (450, 35.6)

6. Tony Romo (436, 32.5)

7. Matthew Stafford (388, 25.4)

8. Matt Schaub (356, 36.6)

9. Phillip Rivers (352, 20.4)

10. Jason Campbell (350, 32.2)

11. Michael Vick (308, 23.7)

12. Cam Newton (332, 17.6)

13. Eli Manning (267, 21.2)

14. Matt Ryan (184, 5.6)

15. Ben Roethlisberger (166. 6.3)

16. Joe Flacco (165, 6.3)

17. Colt McCoy (135. 0.2 %)

18. Kyle Orton (125, 1.9 %)

19. Chad Henne (122, 4.2 %)

20. Alex Smith (119, 4.0 %)

21. Rex Grossman (105, -0.5 %)

22. Josh Freeman (101, 2.9 %)

23. Kevin Kolb (36, -7.3 %)

24. Andy Dalton (29, -7.8 %)

25. Donovan McNabb (13, -9.5 %)

26. Tarvaris Jackson (8, -10.3 %)

27. Matt Moore (0, -11.4 %)

28. Mark Sanchez (-6, -11.7 %)

29. Sam Bradford (-20, -13.0 %)

30. Kerry Collins (-38, -17.0 %)

31. Jay Cutler (-38, -15.7 %)

32. Blaine Gabbert (-137, -39.6 %)

33. Matt Cassel (-150, -31.3 %)

34. Luke McCown (-200, -77.1 %)

This is a good list....

for me to poop on.

I don't know or care what those #'s are supposed to mean. All I know is I'd rather have Mike Vick than Jason Campbell and no qb that's ever played the game would have had a good night behind that line on Sunday. I don't need a fancy breakdown to tell me our o-line is sh-t.

This is a good list....

for me to poop on.

I don't know or care what those #'s are supposed to mean. All I know is I'd rather have Mike Vick than Jason Campbell and no qb that's ever played the game would have had a good night behind that line on Sunday. I don't need a fancy breakdown to tell me our o-line is sh-t.

LOL, I agree. Weird that Romo gives away just as many games as Sanchez... but is like 20 spots higher?

Is that even an argument. yes that guy who didnt start because he had one of the best qbs in the history of the game and face of the franchise in front of him.

its not meant to be an argument.he had 3 years to watch and learn and yet he still struggled his first year as a starter, 4th in the nfl. it takes time to be good consistantly. Sanchez is not playing his best, thats obvious, but the reasons for his play are also just as obvious.

its not meant to be an argument.he had 3 years to watch and learn and yet he still struggled his first year as a starter, 4th in the nfl. it takes time to be good consistantly. Sanchez is not playing his best, thats obvious, but the reasons for his play are also just as obvious.

um as soon as he became starter he was pretty amazing. But yea having the o line somewhat suck doesnt help i still just cant see how we are not good... Thats why i always blame schotty

Life sucks for Mark Sanchez right now. Everyone is hating on him. His teammates are calling him out in press conferences. ESPN calls him the worst QB ever. And now FO drops him 12 spots from just a week ago.

I think he should pull a Stanley Wilson and disappear and go on a coke binge.

I don't know or care what those #'s are supposed to mean. All I know is I'd rather have Mike Vick than Jason Campbell...

So wouold anyone else.

Apparently we are witnessing the birth of a new industry where twits sit around a table, juggle up some stats and come up with incomprehensible numbers and gibberish ratings for the media and internet to gobble up.

What happened Sunday is that the Jets had problems with the offensive line and ran into a team known for a ferocious defense, and as a result Sanchez stunk it up. You can debate endlessly about how much is Sanchez' fault and how much is the offensive line's fault, but anyway you look at it the game was a disaster waiting to happen.

Let's try to fix the O-line and move on, shall we?

So wouold anyone else.

Apparently we are witnessing the birth of a new industry where twits sit around a table, juggle up some stats and come up with incomprehensible numbers and gibberish ratings for the media and internet to gobble up.

What happened Sunday is that the Jets had problems with the offensive line and ran into a team known for a ferocious defense, and as a result Sanchez stunk it up. You can debate endlessly about how much is Sanchez' fault and how much is the offensive line's fault, but anyway you look at it the game was a disaster waiting to happen.

Let's try to fix the O-line and move on, shall we?

Exactly! Math is for nerds.

2435007773_f1a2be66dd.jpg

341/536 (63.6%), 4,038 (7.5), 28 TD, 13 INT

14.8% DVOA (14th)

932 DYAR (10th)

they missed the playoffs because he struggled in big games, its not all about they damn stats. by the way since you are hung up on stats, that WAS his worst year. I love Rodgers, thought the 49er's blew the pick with Smith. The fact remains though that Rodgers had three years to learn the pro game, then stepped into a Super Bowl ready team, a real sb ready team, not one that claims to be (jets).

Sanchez may or may not be the qb we all hope he is. Your not going to find out this year, maybe by the end of next year, if they can find a line. For me, Sanchez has built up enough credit in the bank to have some down times due to the situation he is in. I saw the qb he can be in the playoffs the last two years, thats enough for me to ride this thing out.

LOL, I agree. Weird that Romo gives away just as many games as Sanchez... but is like 20 spots higher?

Romo's faced tougher secondary units (as a whole) I guess. Sanchez has yet to face even a decent one. Not that stats are everything, as any Dallas fan can attest to, but in terms of positive yardage for the offense, Romo has done the most damage to all the defenses he's faced. He has the most passing yards against all their opponents so far. He's also averaging 8.4 yards per pass attempt which is technically 7th but is only 0.1 behind the 4-way tie for #4. Sanchez is at 6.8, which puts him at #23. That's probably a big reason as well. 40% of his passes result in first downs, compared to 30% of Sanchez's. And I think they take into account how the yards are achieved. Romo doesn't have any 5-yard dumpoffs to his HB that resulted in a 75-yard plays. One can certainly credit Sanchez with finding the right receiver but crediting him with a 75-yard pass the same as one that gets 30-40 yards of air underneath it to a WR is a weak way of equating stats. One is a big play by both the QB and WR. The other is a big play by the RB that the QB gets enormous credit for.

It's all stats, so you have to take any of them with a grain of salt, if not the whole shaker full. Romo has blown 2 games with his turnovers and is on the verge of losing the locker room (if it hasn't already happened behind the scenes) so I wouldn't put him way ahead of anyone this season. He's also got a pretty well-documented career of being this type of choke artist no one except his agent cares where he's ranked, until such time as he's sporting a SB ring.

Also, and not necessarily related to Romo vs Sanchez in these rankings: as best I understand, they weigh whether a play is successful or unsuccessful (taking in down, distance, opponent, and other factors). If successful, there is further analysis as to HOW successful and how much is attributable to the QB and how much to the ball-carrier. But if unsuccessful, it's just an incomplete pass or a turnover. There may or may not be weight placed into a ball that bounces off his receivers hands, up into the air, into the waiting arms of a DB. But no account is taken into how bad the unsuccessful play is beyond stating that it is unsuccessful. An interception is never good. An interception that takes a minimum of a FG off the board is bad, as is an interception that gives the opponent an automatic FG at a minimum. Those are worse. Worse still is an interception (or fumble) that the other team takes the other way for an easy 6.

But I haven't read up on their methodology so if I'm wrong I take no shame in it.

And I think they take into account how the yards are achieved. Romo doesn't have any 5-yard dumpoffs to his HB that resulted in a 75-yard plays.

Not that I'm arguing any of your point...I think they are all valid and while Tony is a more productive QB, he's a choker. And while Sanchez isnt very productive and might not be as talented, at least he's the opposite of that.

I honestly dont remember the plays exactly, but didnt both Witten and Bryant take a 5 yard pass and go for like 60 yards vs. the Jets?

Romo's faced tougher secondary units (as a whole) I guess. Sanchez has yet to face even a decent one.

Interesting take, but it seems like toughness of the secondary is meaningless for Sanchez. He's having a hard time completing short passes. The Pats have the worst secondary in the NFL, but if they manhandle the Jets Oline like everyone else has, then the crapiness of their secondary is irrelevant.

Sanchez looks shook right now. He's rushing some throws, holding on to the ball too long for others, he's wide, he's low.

I'm telling you that if an opposing D had highschool juniors in their secondary Sanchez will still miss passes if the DLine is any good.

they missed the playoffs because he struggled in big games, its not all about they damn stats. by the way since you are hung up on stats, that WAS his worst year. I love Rodgers, thought the 49er's blew the pick with Smith. The fact remains though that Rodgers had three years to learn the pro game, then stepped into a Super Bowl ready team, a real sb ready team, not one that claims to be (jets).

Sanchez may or may not be the qb we all hope he is. Your not going to find out this year, maybe by the end of next year, if they can find a line. For me, Sanchez has built up enough creditors in the bank to have some down times due to the situation he is in. I saw the qb he can be in the playoffs the last two years, thats enough for me to ride this thing out.

Completely agree. Everyone was so convinced the Jets had a superbowl team the past 2 years because that's what the coach said. Truth is they had a superbowl DEFENSE. The jury is still out on Sanchez because as you said at this point Rodgers was still sitting not playing behind a god awful oline in NY, the most critical city in the world when it comes to sports.

Interesting take, but it seems like toughness of the secondary is meaningless for Sanchez. He's having a hard time completing short passes. The Pats have the worst secondary in the NFL, but if they manhandle the Jets Oline like everyone else has, then the crapiness of their secondary is irrelevant.

Sanchez looks shook right now. He's rushing some throws, holding on to the ball too long for others, he's wide, he's low.

I'm telling you that if an opposing D had highschool juniors in their secondary Sanchez will still miss passes if the DLine is any good.

I don't disagree at all. I'm merely commenting on the disparity between FO's rankings, not the extent to which Sanchez is not hitting his receivers even on easy passes.

And he's always held the ball to long. He's never improved upon that one iota. It's not like Sanchez has got a lightning-fast release to begin with, which is one thing Romo actually does have now, having improved greatly from when he first took over for Bledsoe.

The other thing to consider is that while Romo has clearly choked away 2 wins, those were 2 games where they were in the catbird seat because of the effectiveness of the passing game that gave Dallas such a lead in the first place. It's not like he choked away a game where his team had over 300 rushing yards. In decades of watching NFL games I can only recall one time that's ever happened (Jets v Buffalo, 2009).

Why does nobody around the game recognize the OL's contribution to a QB's performance?

Nobody? From what I've seen, everyone recognizes it. They just don't give Sanchez the free pass to be quite as bad because of it.

Better QB's recognize that pressure is coming and get rid of the ball, or get rid of it more accurately when they do. And the OL has nothing to do with an inability to recognize coverage.

He's still got a ways to go. He's still just a kid and plenty of QB's "get it" after more time than anyone cares to allow. But it's not like Sanchez isn't making his own significant contributions to some careless - if not outright lousy - play.

No one drafts a QB that high and eats up that much cap room with him because of the prospect of having a good game against a Jaguars team that can't put points on the board themselves. You can get that out of Jon Kitna.

Now he does have a knack for those late comebacks, and that's not nothing. It's the only reason - and a damn good one - why 90% of his jock-holders still have faith that he'll become much better than he is.

I don't disagree at all. I'm merely commenting on the disparity between FO's rankings, not the extent to which Sanchez is not hitting his receivers even on easy passes.

And he's always held the ball to long. He's never improved upon that one iota. It's not like Sanchez has got a lightning-fast release to begin with, which is one thing Romo actually does have now, having improved greatly from when he first took over for Bledsoe.

The other thing to consider is that while Romo has clearly choked away 2 wins, those were 2 games where they were in the catbird seat because of the effectiveness of the passing game that gave Dallas such a lead in the first place. It's not like he choked away a game where his team had over 300 rushing yards. In decades of watching NFL games I can only recall one time that's ever happened (Jets v Buffalo, 2009).

That Buffalo loss was brutal.

The main problem with comparing Romo to Sanchez is the disparity in NFL experience IMO. Romo is freaking 31 yrs old and in his 8th season in the NFL. You say Romo has greatly improved on holding the ball too long than when he took over for Bledsoe, but he took over 6 seasons ago (2006 season).

Nobody? From what I've seen, everyone recognizes it. They just don't give Sanchez the free pass to be quite as bad because of it.

I think one of Sanchez' problems is that he wants to make "a play" every play. First snap against the Ravens, the D prefectly read the slant to Holmes and took that away. Sanchez tried to find someone else and gets popped (even though it was only 2.1 seconds from snap). Still, in that situation it's hit Holmes, throw it away, or move out of pocket and if no one open, throw it away.

Archived