Offensive coordinators

Obrien2Toon

A.

We've also had some crappy D coordinators over the years. Which is why we had such rotten teams over the years.

The best OC's wind up getting HC jobs. Mike Martz comes to mind.

True. The following come to mind off the top of my head...

Sean Payton

Kubiak

Chan Gailey

Mike McCarthy

Norv Turner

Jason Garrett

Mike Martz

Whizenhunt

Mike Smith

Hue Jackson

For the Jets?

Only one. He's our OL coach. Can't bring someone in with a whole new language at this point in the season

Callahan or Cavanaugh would seem the most likely go-to guys here, but I'd prefer Callahan. I'm over the up-and-coming young coaches trend... gimme a veteran coordinator every time. Most likely another franchise has already suffered through their learning curve... as we've done with Schotty.

In my life the only offensive coordinator the Jets have had that I've been happy with was Weis, from 97-00 or so.

So does that mean:

A.) That the Jets haven't had a good OC at any other times.

or

B.) It's very easy to make the OC a scapegoat.

Didn't Parcells strip Weis of playcalling duties for a while?

What would happen if we had a phenomenal offensive coordinator, who much like other HCs, had no great input on the defense?? Would we complain about him the same we do about Rex and how he's only one-dimensional?? I'm definitely all in on getting a new offensive coordinator, just not mid season, unless it's for promoting callahan. I have just noticed that only defensive-minded head coaches get criticized for being one-dimensional and don't see offensive-minded coaches catching the same hell.

For the Jets?

Only one. He's our OL coach. Can't bring someone in with a whole new language at this point in the season

Yep if the Jets even consider making a move the only option they have right now is Callahan because he can pretty much seamlessly fill the role without disrupting the entire offense, not that disrupting the entire offense would be a bad thing :). Its the only mid season option. He ran some pretty prolific offenses in his day so we know he can get the job done which makes it even more baffeling that Shotty still has a job.

One positive thing I saw yesterday is at least the Jets made an attempt to get Kerly into the offense and McKnight had a carry lol. I laugh not at the players but the lack of Shotty to incorporate the young guys into the offense since its been an issue with him since he got here.

What would happen if we had a phenomenal offensive coordinator, who much like other HCs, had no great input on the defense?? Would we complain about him the same we do about Rex and how he's only one-dimensional?? I'm definitely all in on getting a new offensive coordinator, just not mid season, unless it's for promoting callahan. I have just noticed that only defensive-minded head coaches get criticized for being one-dimensional and don't see offensive-minded coaches catching the same hell.

Its easier to identify because the offense is the unit scoring points. When the defense stinks normally its blamed more on personnel, unless there is a dramatic swing from one year to the next after switching coordinators. But I do think people would be all over the DC here. Sutton was routinely murdered for his defensive schemes and playcalls and that was under a defensive minded coach. Part of the reason he came under such criticism was because people did not want to point a finger at Mangini even though he was pretty bad in both 2007 and 2008, because they wanted to hold out hope that he was the Mangenious, The Rams were routinely ripped under Mike Martz for never caring about defense.

I think the thing is guys like Martz and Ryan are pretty unique. Most head coaches dont wrap themselves so much in just one aspect of the game. They kind of manage a direction for the team and get the coordinators to work into that vision. If its not working they strip them of the duties. Herm was a defensive guy but he believed in having an system that maximized the defenses ability. He felt the WCO was always going to win the battle of field position, chew time off the clock, and most importantly not give points to the other team for free. So he brought in Hackett that was more or less an extension of his own vision. Hackett just put it into practice. Ryan and Martz, pretty much say if you stay out of my way Ill stay out of yours and I think its to the point where those coaches dont even bother getting involved even though the coach can almost always overrule a play via his headset. Thats why you get a 3rd and 5 with 4 minutes left in a game and Schotty calling a 7 yard pass that falls incomplete only to then be told by Rex after the play that they are going for it on fourth down. Rather than having a 4th and 2 they have a 4th and 5. For as much as Schotty stinks those kind of mistakes I think are almost all attributed to the head coach not being involved in the series.

you guys are probably right about having to promote within, we have some good plays its just the horribly predictable ones are called by vanilla bean shotty. if cal had the job I think he could make us produce from day one. at the very least he would call a pass longer than 6 yards.

Im not even sure how good his plays are ....one of my biggest gripes with Shotty is he never seems to create mismatches for the offense. I watch about 5 or 6 games every sunday and monday and I always see teams creating mismatches except the Jets.

Im not even sure how good his plays are ....one of my biggest gripes with Shotty is he never seems to create mismatches for the offense. I watch about 5 or 6 games every sunday and monday and I always see teams creating mismatches except the Jets.

yeah he really is awful..santonio holmes and burress should be problems to defend but they are absent most the game

This is why in my opinion it's more important to have an offensive head coach instead of one with a defensive background. In today's NFL offense is king and you can't win solely with defense. It's much easier to find defensive coordinators than offensive coordinators.

A.

We've also had some crappy D coordinators over the years. Which is why we had such rotten teams over the years.

The best OC's wind up getting HC jobs. Mike Martz comes to mind.

True. The following come to mind off the top of my head...

Sean Payton

Kubiak

Chan Gailey

Mike McCarthy

Norv Turner

Jason Garrett

Mike Martz

Whizenhunt

Mike Smith

Hue Jackson

Payton and McCarthy are excellent HCs...Bolded the examples of the Peter Principle...the jury is still out on the others...does this mean Schotty was ever a good QB coach?

Schottenheimer has to go. It's not even a matter of whether he sucks or not (he does), it's just the the offense is clearly producing less than the sum of it's parts. Decent RB's, good WR's and TE, an OL that's been a strength up until this year, and -obviously- a major question mark at the QB position.

The QB is the key. The Jets are heavily invested in Sanchez. He could very well suck, too. Right now the question is whether Sanchez is dragging down Schottie or the other way around. The Jets need to find out the answer to that question soon. The only way to do that is to let Brian go and bring in someone new with a solid track record.

Jets have two winnable games coming up at home in Miami and San Diego - and then the bye week. If they're 3-4 (or worse) at the bye, I think they should seriously consider dumping Schottie, promoting Callahan or Cavanaugh in the interim, and then reevaluating the position after the season. At the very least, they should take the playcalling away from Brian and hand it off to someone else. Rex should even consider taking ownership of the entire team and taking over the offensive playcalling himself. Even if it doesn't work, it sends the message that it's one team, and not Rex's defense and the other guys.

I don't like either of our in-house candidates, quite frankly. The only reason I wouldn't want Schottie fired is because I don't want the team to be married to either of those guys in 2012. I think the Jets need to go outside the organization for offensive help at the end of the year no matter what happens the rest of the way.

Andy Reid might be available for next season, heh.

Imagine Rex and Reid on the same sideline...

Oh my. Wouldn't that be something.

Hard to say what's going to happen to Reid if the Birds keep tanking. Think they will recover, but not enough for the play offs. That's if Vick lives

Archived