Get Your Negative Rep Ready: Why Losing to the Dolphins is Exactly What this Team Needs...

ZachEY

At this point in the season we're sitting at 2-3, and are a Tony Romo meltdown away from 1-4. This team, as it is currently comprised, isn't very good.

The Jets don't throw the ball well, they don't run the ball well, they don't play particularly great defense either. Kick Returns is pretty much the only thing we have going for us. Winning every game is the best case scenario, but based on the product on the field, I think many fans do not see anything resembling a playoff team, especially considering in our division, we have two teams ahead of us by two games. Nothing is "over", but realistically speaking, it's over unless play drastically increases.

We've lost 3 straight games, and have one more going into a bye. Our offensive coordinator, whether he's a failure or a scapegoat, needs to go, and this bye would be the perfect time for that to happen. It's much more likely to happen off of a loss. A win here, regardless of how the game goes, likely buys Schotty more time on the same grounds that the media is finding a positive in the "return of the Jets run game" last week, without consideration of the fact that it was against one of the worst defenses in the league. We saw the same thing with "the return of the Jets defense" after Jacksonville.

This team needs changes. Going into the bye without the overblown 'momentum changer' that beating Miami would provide in the media and around the team is likely to delay those changes. (Obviously SD will dictate some of that too, however) Many fans think it starts with the QB, but Sanchez will be the starter opening day next year, so the best we can hope for (if he really is no good), is as much time playing with a new OC, and some new pieces in place so that there can be no more excuses if he fails. A win here, while helping us this season, likely just delays what needs to happen sooner or later.

If you still believe this is a good football team, than none of that matters, but that belief must be based on last year's team, because we've yet to see anything particularly impressive from this year's team. There are too many AFC teams better than us, and we don't do anything particularly well. This is not a Super Bowl contender, and in reality, not looking like a wildcard team based on how things are shaping up.

Further, and this is far in advance, but on the other side of the field is a team in position to draft the best QB prospect since Manning. Regardless of the fact that he MAY bust, we simply don't want that to happen. TomShane was right, too soon or not, if Luck goes to the Dolphins, we have the worst QB in the division. The Dolphins will grow around him, regardless of who's on that team now. It'll take a year or two, but they'll be good with him, Marshall, and Bess.

Having said all that, obviously no one is rooting for a loss, but the truth is, where we are right now, in the long term, it'd probably be better for this team.

Here you go: rep_down.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotty won't be fired during the bye even if the Jets lose. Ideally, the Jets should win and make a playoff run (which they still can) and have Shotty become HC somewhere else. If the Jets lose really bad the rest of the season, they might get rid of him. I am betting the jets still have a winning season and make a playoff run. They have flaws, but I think Greene will get going once it gets a little colder, Sanchez will still be Sanchez, and the receivers will adjust as the season goes on. Same with the OL.

I'll still be rooting for us to win... I have a very hard time that we've fallen this far from the past 2 season by cutting ties with guys like Richardson, Ellis, Cotchery and Woody.

However, its not lost on me that losing this week could mean we finally turn the page on Schottenheimer, which I guess is a silver lining. Then maybe we start addressing problems instead of boorishly insisting that "we'll be there at the end". Adversity might be what Rex needs to make him a better, more comprehensive HEAD coach. So we call it a rebuilding year, which is a term I've said many times before is something no team sets out to do... but often adopts as the PR rallying cry when they end up not meeting expectations. We suck = rebuilding. We kick a$$ = over-achieve. We've heard them all before.

Regardless, we've seen this offense get worse over the time Schotty has been at the helm. Its time for a new direction - and if it costs us a season, oh well, as long as we end up improving. This league is in arcade offense mode thanks to Goodell... and we are one of very few teams not taking advantage of it.

I see your point. I don't think anyone will disagree this is the worst the Jets have looked since Rex has been here. Cant run, cant throw and cant stop anyone. There's really no excitement at all surrounding this team, and there's really nothing you can point at, other than kick returns that the Jets even do slightly well. Hell, I don't even get the sense the coaching staff or the team itself is very excited to be playing.

All I can say about Monday is that the game is going to be boring and ugly, like every other Dolphins game at home.

No, no and no.

While I may agree the Jets are probably going nowhere this year, I will never root for a loss, especially to the Dolphins. That's blasphemy.

Andrew Luck ain't guaranteed to be anything. There have been plenty of "can't miss" guys who busted out - Jeff George springs immediately to mind.

Not to mention that rooting for your team to tank the season starting in week 6 is pathetic and just plain stupid.

This team was 2-3 in 2009 and got to within 30 minutes of the Super Bowl. Anything is possible. Giving up now is weak and lame.

I will never root for them to lose.

I would lay havey odds that Schitty is in no danger od being fired misdseason. Period. End of story. Problem is as bad as he ahs been this is what Ryan signed up for by keeping Schitty on the job for this season.

If this offense is this piss poor and they don't make the playoffs, Schitty will be fired. In January.

I gave you a positive rep for inginuity.

Schitty has to be fired. Coughlin stripped his OC John Hufnagel of playcalling duties when Eli was struggling, then replaced him as OC with Kevin Gilbride (promoted from QB coach).

Rex is delusional. I don't think he has Coughlin's sense to make such a change.

Sanchez sucks, but Schitty has a longer track record of suckage. Schitty has to be eliminated so there can be a true reckoning with Sanchez.

Schitty has to be fired. Coughlin stripped his OC John Hufnagel of playcalling duties when Eli was struggling, then replaced him as OC with Kevin Gilbride (promoted from QB coach).

Sanchez sucks, but Schitty has a longer track record of suckage. Schitty has to be eliminated so there can be a true reckoning with Sanchez.

Parcells did the same thing to Weis in 1998.He got to the AFC title game.

Jim Fassel did the same thing to Sean Payton, and those Giants got to the Super Bowl.

The question then is do you promote Callahan or Cavanaugh. Still don't see it happening, because it would be an admission of failure by Ryan.

Many fans think it starts with the QB, but Sanchez will be the starter opening day next year, so the best we can hope for (if he really is no good), is as much time playing with a new OC, and some new pieces in place so that there can be no more excuses if he fails. A win here, while helping us this season, likely just delays what needs to happen sooner or later.

I just don't see this happening. Who's going to be the new OC that Sanchez gets to work with? Callahan? Cavanaugh? Is anyone confident with either of those guys moving forward? I'm not.

All the good offensive coordinators probably already have jobs. There's no one on the outside to bring in, and you can't change your entire offense mid-season, anyway.

I really believe that Schottenheimer's all but gone already. (I said it in another thread but) I think Rex's next move should be to strip Brian of his playcalling duties. He can hand them over to Callahan or Cavanaugh or (better yet, IMHO) take them over himself and thus, in a symbolic way, finally take over the entire team. It would suck to be Schottie, but I really think it would build team unity. And Rex can't be any worse.

I can't in any way, shape, or form root against the Jets when they play the filthy fish. Just can't do it. But I could take as a silver lining the beginning of the end for Schottie, as well as helping them miss out on Luck. I get the logic.

The new OC should be the #1 priority after the season when teams around the league fire good people all over the place, and there are a few to pick from.

Parcells did the same thing to Weis in 1998.He got to the AFC title game.

Jim Fassel did the same thing to Sean Payton, and those Giants got to the Super Bowl.

The question then is do you promote Callahan or Cavanaugh. Still don't see it happening, because it would be an admission of failure by Ryan.

Yeah, Bugg. There's a history of it and it being successful. In fact, Parcells also did it to Payton the year they went to the playoffs.

But, again, I think Rex is delusional.

I agree with Slats, Rex needs to prove that he coaches the entire team and him calling plays would be a good symbol of it.

And, last, I can'r root against the Jets in this situation. I never say it's never a good to root against your team (for instance, if your team needs to lose the last game of the season to get the No. 1 overall pick and draft a bona fide stud, you better root against your team), but it's not good to root against the Jets in this instance. The results is too remote. A loss doesn't guarantee Schitty's ouster.

Still can't root for a loss. There are 11 games left, and we had equally-bad records in 2 of the last 3 seasons we went to the afccg (4-6 in '09 and 2-3 in '98).

If I thought there was a serious possibility of an OC change now, I could root for us to win super-ugly on offense, like 3-0 with our lone FG coming on a stalled drive when our defense or ST's started us out on Miami's 10.

Horrible thought is that I wonder if that would even do it.

I just don't see this happening. Who's going to be the new OC that Sanchez gets to work with? Callahan? Cavanaugh? Is anyone confident with either of those guys moving forward? I'm not.

All the good offensive coordinators probably already have jobs. There's no one on the outside to bring in, and you can't change your entire offense mid-season, anyway.

I really believe that Schottenheimer's all but gone already. (I said it in another thread but) I think Rex's next move should be to strip Brian of his playcalling duties. He can hand them over to Callahan or Cavanaugh or (better yet, IMHO) take them over himself and thus, in a symbolic way, finally take over the entire team. It would suck to be Schottie, but I really think it would build team unity. And Rex can't be any worse.

I can't in any way, shape, or form root against the Jets when they play the filthy fish. Just can't do it. But I could take as a silver lining the beginning of the end for Schottie, as well as helping them miss out on Luck. I get the logic.

The new OC should be the #1 priority after the season when teams around the league fire good people all over the place, and there are a few to pick from.

Don't disagree on the premise of the post, but Rex calling plays? C'mon

I remember in 09 Rex made a comment about sitting in on a QB's meeting, and left because he thought they were speaking a different language. Rex only calls plays if they are really unhappy with Sanchez, and want to get in the Luck sweepstakes.

Schotty will more then likely be fired at year's end. It's possible play calling will be handed over to Callahan, but Schotty won't be fired at that point.

The D isn't exactly lighting it up either. According to EY's formula, and I'm not disagreeing totally, Maybe Rex should be demoted to DC, Callahan take over the O, and Westy promoted to HC.

Just kidding.

Doubt anything happens till the end of the year.

Don't disagree on the premise of the post, but Rex calling plays? C'mon

I remember in 09 Rex made a comment about sitting in on a QB's meeting, and left because he thought they were speaking a different language. Rex only calls plays if they are really unhappy with Sanchez, and want to get in the Luck sweepstakes.

Schotty will more then likely be fired at year's end. It's possible play calling will be handed over to Callahan, but Schotty won't be fired at that point.

The D isn't exactly lighting it up either. According to EY's formula, and I'm not disagreeing totally, Maybe Rex should be demoted to DC, Callahan take over the O, and Westy promoted to HC.

Just kidding.

Doubt anything happens till the end of the year.

'09 was two years ago. He should be well versed in the language by now. If he's not, he's failing as a head a coach.

I really believe that Rex taking over the playcalling would do more good than harm. A man who spends all his waking moments devising how to stop an opposing offense should have some ideas about how a defense gets beat.

The one thing that may happen is the players not playing so flat (as they seem to), our WR's in particular. Even with bad play-calling, this team isn't playing up to its skill level. Sometimes - particularly in sports - a spark is what's needed, even if the replacement isn't obviously such an improvement. With the exception of the offense vs Baltimore, we haven't gotten blown out of the water yet and have been in every game. Now clearly the last 3 haven't gone the way we wanted, but they were all winnable.

Rex calling the plays, though...that could be pretty ugly and there's a good chance the playcalling goes right back to Schottenheimer after an even uglier week or two than we've already seen. The problem with doing it too late is that if Cavanaugh or Callahan is given the job, and he does a very mediocre job but we make the playoffs anyway, that there's a good chance he'll be given the job for next year also.

Still can't root for a loss. There are 11 games left, and we had equally-bad records in 2 of the last 3 seasons we went to the afccg (4-6 in '09 and 2-3 in '98).

If I thought there was a serious possibility of an OC change now, I could root for us to win super-ugly on offense, like 3-0 with our lone FG coming on a stalled drive when our defense or ST's started us out on Miami's 10.

Horrible thought is that I wonder if that would even do it.

This sums it up perfectly for me. I simply could not root for a loss under any circumstances and if they did lose and it still wasn't enough to cost Schotty his job, I think I would lose it (well you know, even more than usual). I'm not going to sit here and worry about the Dolphins getting Luck, so that's the only outcome that matters to me and as you said, what would make it all that much better is such a horrendously awful offensive showing in a win that it still gets Schotty canned. We can all hope.+

You've got to be kidding me.

First and foremost, I'm not a fan of rooting for a loss. I could understand if we were 1-14 with a chance at a prospect like Luck and a win takes us out of the running...but in week 6 with a ton of Football to be played...not a chance in hell. Especially considering its the ******* Dolphags. You have no idea how this season will unfold. The Packers barely made the playoffs last year. The Jets are 2-3, not 0-5 or 1-4. In 09, the Jets made the playoffs with two 3 game losing streaks.

Secondly, you're delusional if you actually think that Rex is going to fire Schotty mid season because of a loss to the Dolphags. It wont happen. He wont even strip him of play calling duties. There is too much mutual respect and Rex wont do it. And there is no earthly way that we bring a brand new OC. We'd just run the same offense with a new play caller and who knows how that would work (though I wouldnt be totally upset if it did happen).

Finally, the Jets will be 4-3 heading into the bye with their season wide open. Book it.

Fish will be ready -- like it or not, this is their Super Bowl. Putting what could be the final nail in the Jets' coffin on Monday is all they have to play for at this point. I am already getting that queasy feeling -- no amount of Pepto is going to help.

Fish will be ready -- like it or not, this is their Super Bowl. Putting what could be the final nail in the Jets' coffin on Monday is all they have to play for at this point. I am already getting that queasy feeling -- no amount of Pepto is going to help.

No Luck is all they have not to play for at this point.

Coach and GM are done at the end of the season. QB is a FA, and gone no matter what. If I'm Ross I forbid this team to win another game.

Fans have already bailed. What do they have to gain.

Fish 24 Jets 17 :winking0001:

I'll still be rooting for us to win... I have a very hard time that we've fallen this far from the past 2 season by cutting ties with guys like Richardson, Ellis, Cotchery and Woody.

However, its not lost on me that losing this week could mean we finally turn the page on Schottenheimer, which I guess is a silver lining. Then maybe we start addressing problems instead of boorishly insisting that "we'll be there at the end". Adversity might be what Rex needs to make him a better, more comprehensive HEAD coach. So we call it a rebuilding year, which is a term I've said many times before is something no team sets out to do... but often adopts as the PR rallying cry when they end up not meeting expectations. We suck = rebuilding. We kick a$$ = over-achieve. We've heard them all before.

Regardless, we've seen this offense get worse over the time Schotty has been at the helm. Its time for a new direction - and if it costs us a season, oh well, as long as we end up improving. This league is in arcade offense mode thanks to Goodell... and we are one of very few teams not taking advantage of it.

I'll be rooting for the team too... As I said at the end of the post.

But, as this point, I see a bad football team, and the answer "we're going to fix it" is nonsense. Talk is cheap, and this is a team that's Tony Romo taking a knee away from 1-4.

I hope we win every game we've got left, but going by the performance on the field, we're not a good football team, and that wont happen.

Yup. Good post as well.

This has all the makings of the Pennington era again. Good enough to stay complacent. Not good enough to matter.

Good post as well.

On top of the OC, Tannenbaum, IMO, drank too much of the Kool-Aid and spent too much time patting himself on the back for the Holmes trade that he just let the offensive line deteriorate. Considering Sanchez has proven nothing, our run game is the most important weapon we have, the offensive line was more important than Holmes, by a lot. It got completely neglected.

Good post as well.

On top of the OC, Tannenbaum, IMO, drank too much of the Kool-Aid and spent too much time patting himself on the back for the Holmes trade that he just let the offensive line deteriorate. Considering Sanchez has proven nothing, our run game is the most important weapon we have, the offensive line was more important than Holmes, by a lot. It got completely neglected.

They spent a high pick on Ducasse. It failed. Turner, who's a good player, got hurt. I wouldnt say its been completely neglected...they were just wrong on personnel.

I'll be rooting for the team too... As I said at the end of the post.

But, as this point, I see a bad football team, and the answer "we're going to fix it" is nonsense. Talk is cheap, and this is a team that's Tony Romo taking a knee away from 1-4.

I hope we win every game we've got left, but going by the performance on the field, we're not a good football team, and that wont happen.

Yep.

I think we're looking at it the same way - wanna see them win out, if they don't there are positives that can be taken from a losing season... IF the front office seizes those opportunities and actually sets out to fix the team.

This team definitely lost its mojo though, not sure when/where... but they need to re-find it. Sooner the better.

Yep.

I think we're looking at it the same way - wanna see them win out, if they don't there are positives that can be taken from a losing season... IF the front office seizes those opportunities and actually sets out to fix the team.

This team definitely lost its mojo though, not sure when/where... but they need to re-find it. Sooner the better.

somone told me it was cause they missed out on bonding time in offseason.. maybe rex should have a slumber party

somone told me it was cause they missed out on bonding time in offseason.. maybe rex should have a slumber party

hardy har har.. If spending a month in friggin Cortland doesn't have an effect why have they done it the last 2 years and plan on doing it again next summer?

as I said in another thread this shortened training camp in that amusement park in Florham is akin to Rocky preparing for Clubber Lang in the midst of a circus-like media frenzy. Rocky had to get with Apollo to straighten sh-t out. Rex needs to be our Apollo.

p.s. you suck

Archived