Has Sanchez turned the corner?

BaltimoreJet

The guy has been good in 7/8 games this year. If not for the Baltimore game he has a QB Rating over 90....

I'm not sure what to think...

He's most definitely heading in the right dirrection. He's improved each and every season since being drafted into the league. He survived his rookie season after only 1 year of college starting experience with USC, he avoided the sophmore slump last year, and he's breaking out during his 3rd year in the league this season. It doesn't get much better than that when developing a franchise QB.

Outside of the Ravens game? He's gone 138/224, 1,656 yards (236.5 yards per game), a completion percentage of 62.1%, 13 TD's/6 INT's; with a QB rating of 92.8 against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Raiders, Patriots, Dolphins, Chargers and Bills. You can't forget about his 64 rushing yards and two rushing TD's either. You won't find a 3rd year QB with better numbers than those. He's most definitely on pace to finish with a QB rating of 90+ during his 3rd year.

Combine his numbers this year, with his 6 career playoff games, where he's gone 4-2 on the road, while throwing for 95/157, 1,155 yards, 60.5%, 9 TD's/3 INT's with a QB rating of 94.3 during 6 career postseason games? And it doesn't get much better than that. This kid is a winner. Only 5 quarterbacks have a postseason career QB rating that ranks higher than Sanchez' playoff performances. Aaron Rodgers. Bart Starr. Kurt Warner. Drew Bress and Joe Montana. Simply amazing. This kid has ice water running through his veins during pressure pressure situations; he's always came up CLUTCH. You can't teach that.

But his performance of this year runs much deeper than just statistics alone this season. He's on the verge of breaking out this year, as a 3rd year quarterback, while losing Braylon, Cotchery, Smith, Richardson and Woody during a shortened offseason, while being replaced with a rusty Burress who was away from the game for going on 3 years, an over the hill Mason who was later released, a rookie Kerley, a 2nd year FB in Conner, as well as a RT in Hunter who's struggled during the first 5 weeks of the season. Not to mention the fact that our run game struggled early on, Mangold was out for 2+ games, and Sanchez was forced to QB under center with a 3rd string center in Baxter for 2+ weeks. To make it worse, Baxter's a rookie who wasn't even with the Jets during the offseason.

But yet, these little negative critics wanna look at "completion percentage" as a way to harp all over one of the best young QB's in the game today. :rl:

The Ravens game was just everything aligning right for the Ravens. We had O-Line Issues and they exploited those issues, give credit to them.

Sanchez is headed for greatness IMO . He went into this season with 1 WR from last year that he only really worked with for part of one year and he has performed extremely well given the circumstances. You take any of the top 5 QB's in this league and put them in that same position and I dont think you get much of a difference.

Ill take a 80 - 90 QB rating every year if Sanchez keeps performing the way he does in the 4th quarter and in the playoffs. The guy is clutch and thats the BIGGEST hurdle for alot of great "stat" QB's..... they never ever get over. How many great QB's with great stats never produced in the playoffs ? Sure it nice to see your QB ranked high among the league leaders but Ill take what we got . I think Sanchez can deliver a few if not more SB's and Ill take those SB's when they come to Dan Marino or Brett (the Choke) Favres stats ANY DAY. Ill take those SB's over Danny Whites great stats as well the list is long I have 100 % faith In Mark Sanchez not only for his Clutch performances but for his work ethic and dedication to the team first and foremost. Hes a winner . Terry Bradshaw never ever put up eye popping stats but he sure as hell has 4 rings.

he needs to be more consistent and stop throwing retarded picks. Just one time I want to see him play a full game @ a high level, not just the second half of a game.

agreed 100%. He's soooo close to being considered a "good to great quarterback" but he keeps being inconsistent and making those dumbass mistakes.

He's most definitely heading in the right dirrection. He's improved each and every season since being drafted into the league. He survived his rookie season after only 1 year of college starting experience with USC, he avoided the sophmore slump last year, and he's breaking out during his 3rd year in the league this season. It doesn't get much better than that when developing a franchise QB.

Outside of the Ravens game? He's gone 138/224, 1,656 yards (236.5 yards per game), a completion percentage of 62.1%, 13 TD's/6 INT's; with a QB rating of 92.8 against the Cowboys, Jaguars, Raiders, Patriots, Dolphins, Chargers and Bills. You can't forget about his 64 rushing yards and two rushing TD's either. You won't find a 3rd year QB with better numbers than those. He's most definitely on pace to finish with a QB rating of 90+ during his 3rd year.

Combine his numbers this year, with his 6 career playoff games, where he's gone 4-2 on the road, while throwing for 95/157, 1,155 yards, 60.5%, 9 TD's/3 INT's with a QB rating of 94.3 during 6 career postseason games? And it doesn't get much better than that. This kid is a winner. Only 5 quarterbacks have a postseason career QB rating that ranks higher than Sanchez' playoff performances. Aaron Rodgers. Bart Starr. Kurt Warner. Drew Bress and Joe Montana. Simply amazing. This kid has ice water running through his veins during pressure pressure situations; he's always came up CLUTCH. You can't teach that.

But his performance of this year runs much deeper than just statistics alone this season. He's on the verge of breaking out this year, as a 3rd year quarterback, while losing Braylon, Cotchery, Smith, Richardson and Woody during a shortened offseason, while being replaced with a rusty Burress who was away from the game for going on 3 years, an over the hill Mason who was later released, a rookie Kerley, a 2nd year FB in Conner, as well as a RT in Hunter who's struggled during the first 5 weeks of the season. Not to mention the fact that our run game struggled early on, Mangold was out for 2+ games, and Sanchez was forced to QB under center with a 3rd string center in Baxter for 2+ weeks. To make it worse, Baxter's a rookie who wasn't even with the Jets during the offseason.

But yet, these little negative critics wanna look at "completion percentage" as a way to harp all over one of the best young QB's in the game today. :rl:

You just received a standing O for this post.

Seriously, I moved my cat, laid the laptop on the ottoman and gave you a standing O. The one thing that I love most about Sanchez is that he pulls it together during pressure situations. Many continue to mention his other shortcomings when one mentions his ability to get it done during pressure situations, but all I have to say is that this guy technically should have been a rookie this year.

Given the Jets "not so elegant" history I can see how we get on him so quickly, but think of this. Sanchez has never looked like the bust QB's we've seen in the league. He's always looked average with flashes, which for a guy who should have still been playing NCAA ball that aint bad at all. He's had bad games yes, but he's had good games as well and he's never looked like David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf etc.

Mark Sanchez is going to be the greatest Jet QB when its all said and done....you watch.

Have you seen the first half of....ohhhh....any game this season? i want so badly for Sanchez to be good, even great. He just isn't. If you want comparisons, you can't compare his bad stats, and bad seasons, to his better stats and better seasons. You have to compare him with other quarterbacks in the league. then add to that comparison the amount of weapons he has, then realize that his defense keeps giving him the ball in favorable situations. Like I said, I want more than anything for Sanchez to be a top-notch QB. but he isn't. Our team is pretty good though. And I love our coach. That doesn't make Mark Sanchez a "winner". It just makes him a very handsome part of our team. And he doesn't help the team more than any middle-of-the-pack QB would. He may get better...but he hasn't turned the corner, he's just turned the ball over and ignored wide open receivers while dancing and patting the football. That's just reality.

The guy has been good in 7/8 games this year. If not for the Baltimore game he has a QB Rating over 90....

I'm not sure what to think...

Our definitions of good must be different. Even excluding the Balt game, he had long stretches of looking completely inept, like the first halves of sd, for instance.

17th in Passer Rating

26th in Completion %

23rd in Yards/attempt

22nd in Yard/game

29th in Total Offense

22nd in Passing Offense

...I was hoping for a little more in his 3rd year.

Yeah, but if you take out the Baltimore game, the first halves of the San Diego and Buffalo games, bits and pieces of the Dallas and New England games, and the first quarter of the Miami game, it TOTALLY vaults him into the top ten in all of those.

Of course, you wouldn't be showing the same respect to any other QB's, so the "statistics" and "rankings" may be a bit "skewed," but whatevz is what I say to that.

It's not just completion percentage and you know, the fact that the offense goes through stretches where they look like absolute sh*t. Sanchez's main problem at this point is the bonehead turnovers. A ton of his turnovers have either lead to scores by the opposing defense or cost the Jets valuable points. He's had at least 2 end zone picks that I can think off the top of my head and that's just in the past couple games.

Translation: Thank God we have an elite defense.

I can't totally argue with that.

However Sanchez does come through when we need him to. I think a lot of people expect him to be the next great QB, and to be honest I don't think he ever will be. What I do think he will be is "good enough." A guy who won't be considered one of the best, but a guy you can still win a championship with.

Sort of like what Phil Simms was.

However Sanchez does come through when we need him to. I think a lot of people expect him to be the next great QB, and to be honest I don't think he ever will be. What I do think he will be is "good enough." A guy who won't be considered one of the best, but a guy you can still win a championship with.

I think that's my expectation of him too. Like I said, if he just practiced some risk management I wouldn't even have so much of a problem with it, but he just makes the dumbest interceptions at times. Not only that, people keep ignoring his fumbling problem when they look over his rating and his stats. It's not like those didn't happen. Sure, they might not all have been his fault, but he's at least partially to blame for those.

I agree.. He's not like that noodle **** who was completely helpless when facing good teams

But i will say picking that early, I was hoping for elite play.. Which is why I'm a little disappointed.. But he's not Ryan Leaf, and he's not a loser like pennington, so there's that

Jets' Sanchez seeks perfect game against Patriots

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Mark Sanchez knows this one is on him. He knows for the Jets to beat the Patriots on Sunday night, he has to be flawless.

Sanchez watched Ben Roethlisberger control the game in the Steelers’ 25-17 win over the Patriots two weeks ago. He watched Eli Manning march the Giants down the field in the final minute at Gillette Stadium last Sunday.

Now, it’s his turn. Like always, the Jets’ goal is to keep the Patriots offense off the field for as long as possible, limiting Tom Brady’s chances. That rests on how well Sanchez can keep drives alive.

“It’s always going to take a good game by the quarterback to beat that team and that defense because Coach [bill] Belichick is going to have them in the right position,” Sanchez said. “It doesn’t mean you have to go out and make a spectacular play, but just understand the situation.

“You watch Eli’s drive last week and it was awesome -- one of the best drives you’ve seen by a quarterback this season, but he did the little things right. He took the underneath routes when he could. He got a penalty that got him down there and took advantage of it. ... Whether it comes down to the last drive or just being accurate all game, that’s what it takes to beat them. You just can’t give them anything. You can’t throw one to them.”

That has been a problem for Sanchez this season. The third-year quarterback has shown improvement in several areas this year, but he continues to turn the ball over. Sanchez has 12 turnovers (seven interceptions, five fumbles) this season.

Sanchez threw an interception in the red zone last week after the Jets put together a drive of 10:09, the second-longest in the NFL this year. The drive ended with no points because of Sanchez’s throw to Bills safety George Wilson in the end zone.

“You look at the seven interceptions, I think it is, and there are some dumb ones,” Sanchez said. “We get rid of those and we’re really playing well.”

The Steelers and Giants both threw the ball against the Patriots more than the Jets like to. Roethlisberger had 50 attempts, completing 36 of them for 365 yards and two touchdowns. That helped Pittsburgh control the ball for 39:22 in its win. Manning attempted 39 passes last week, completing 20 for 250 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

The Jets were letting Sanchez throw the ball around early in the season but have now moved away from that. He attempted 44 passes in two of the first three games but has been in the 25-33 range over the last four games.

Sanchez has played better since Rex Ryan recommitted to running the ball before their first meeting with the Patriots. His passer rating since that game is 94.7, second only to Roethlisberger in the AFC.

It will be interesting to watch how the Jets balance their return to running the ball with facing the Patriots, who rank last in the league against the pass.

“We have to maintain drives,” Ryan said. “When you look at it, Pittsburgh, what they did defensively, you look at their numbers and they played extremely well on defense, not taking anything away from them, but their offense really controlled the game. They punted once in the game, and that was with 30 seconds left. So I think that would obviously be what you want against a high-powered offense like [the Patriots’]. As good as our defense is, it’s not near as good as when we’re on the sideline.”

Sanchez turned the ball over twice last week , but it did not hurt the Jets. Do it again this week, and they might not be as lucky.

“I need to do whatever it takes for our team to win, and that’s get completions, convert on third down, put us in the right run checks, just be very accurate,” Sanchez said. “Don’t give them any cheap ones. That almost hurt us last week and our defense bailed us out, so just don’t give them anything and we should be OK.”

He wins. That's all I care about.

I'd say the following numbers are the biggest reasons we're winning games in spite of our sputtering offense:

PPG allowed: 20.4 (9th)

YPG allowed: 319.0 (8th)

Turnovers caused: 19 (t-2nd)

Passing TD's allowed: 5 (1st)

Opp. QB rating: 59.4 (1st)

Defense DVOA: -19.8 % (2nd)

Kick return yardage: 813 (1st)

Kick return avg.: 30.1 (1st)

kick return TD's: 1 (t-1st)

kick return long: 107 (1st)

Archived