It May Take TWO Guys To Replace Schottenheimer

SoFlaJets

Life after Schotty for Jets?

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 7:39 AM, January 8, 2012

Posted: 2:15 AM, January 8, 2012

The Jets have begun to look at candidates to replace Brian Schottenheimer as offensive coordinator if he gets a head coaching job.

According to sources, the Jets have targeted former Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano and Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter as potential replacements.

Schottenheimer interviewed for the Jaguars’ head coaching position on Friday. The Jets have said they will welcome him back as their coordinator if he does not land a head coaching job.

The Jets are familiar with Sparano after facing him the last four years with the Dolphins. He led Miami to an AFC East crown in 2008, his first season there, but never duplicated that success, and was fired on Dec. 12. The Dolphins ranked 22nd in offense (317.4 yards per game) in the league this year.

Prior to coaching the Dolphins, Sparano, 50, was the assistant head coach and offensive line coach for the Cowboys under Bill Parcells. He was the primary play-caller in 2006.

An ESPN report yesterday said Sparano and former Chiefs coach Todd Haley were talking about being a “package deal” with Sparano handling the running game and Haley the passing game. The two worked together in Dallas.

Koetter has been the offensive coordinator for the Jaguars since 2007. He also coached the quarterbacks this year. The Jaguars fired head coach Jack Del Rio during the season and his assistants are waiting to see who is kept on the new coach’s staff.

The Jaguars were dead last in offense (259.3 yards per game) this year as they struggled with rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert. They ranked 12th in the league in rushing.

Koetter, 52, was the head coach at Arizona State from 2001-06. He guided the Sun Devils to four winning seasons, and spent 22 years coaching in college before joining the Jaguars. He also was the head coach at Boise State for three years.

The Jets are being $$$$ savvy with Schottenheimer, too:

ESPN New York would be "stunned" if OC Brian Schottenheimer is back with the Jets in 2012.

According to "league insiders," the Jets are "trying to save as much as possible" on the $3.2 million remaining on Schottenheimer's contract, hence their refusal to simply fire a coach who is clearly no longer a part of their plans. ESPN New York's Rich Cimini believes Schottenheimer would make a lateral move before returning to the Jets. The New York Post reported Saturday that Tony Sparano and Dirk Koetter are both potential replacements.

Source: ESPN New York

Leave it to the Jets to want the OC of the worst offense in the league. The Jags literally put me to sleep. I'm guessing this is because MoJo won the rushing title and Rex is realizing Sanchez is the suck so we need to go back to ground and pound. Maybe he can bring MoJo Drew with him. Pocket Hercules is instant offense.

Leave it to the Jets to want the OC of the worst offense in the league. The Jags literally put me to sleep. I'm guessing this is because MoJo won the rushing title and Rex is realizing Sanchez is the suck so we need to go back to ground and pound. Maybe he can bring MoJo Drew with him. Pocket Hercules is instant offense.

Quick...Name me 1 WR that plays for the Jags?

You have no idea what type of offense Koetter runs without the tools

Quick...Name me 1 WR that plays for the Jags?

You have no idea what type of offense Koetter runs without the tools

Yeah, I get that...Lewis signed a big contract and sucks. Thomas signed a decent contract and isnt anything better than a slot WR. When Jason Hill is your #1 receiver and 25 passes, you're in trouble.

Still dont like the way he ran that offense. When the season was over he should have let Gabbert air it out to get experience, instead he just force fed MoJo.

I have no love for Schottenheimer, but how the f@ck are coaches openly lobbying for a job that is currently filled and how have the Jets allowed these "whispers" to come pouring out of the building? Dirty pool, I say.

It's not dirty pool if it's what everybody wants. Cimini is right for a change. Of course Schottenheimer would make a lateral move before coming back. After a while everybody just gets sick of talking about something that's essentially cosmetic anyway. I mean, look at the prodigal retard in New England. Leaves, sets Denver's offense back about seventy years, gets his job back effective stat. Or Haley and Sparano going frankenstein. This sh*t just would not make sense if coaching and 'systems' and such worked how people think they do.

If Schotty actually leaves or gets fired, the Jets better do 20 ******* interviews for that job, make sure they get the right guy, not just hand it to 2 guys who have been less successful then Schotty the last 2 years, I guess the Jets wouldn't know the right guy if he kicked them in the balls, so were destin for suck.

It's not dirty pool if it's what everybody wants. Cimini is right for a change. Of course Schottenheimer would make a lateral move before coming back. After a while everybody just gets sick of talking about something that's essentially cosmetic anyway. I mean, look at the prodigal retard in New England. Leaves, sets Denver's offense back about seventy years, gets his job back effective stat. Or Haley and Sparano going frankenstein. This sh*t just would not make sense if coaching and 'systems' and such worked how people think they do.

I hear you, but there is something to be said for systems. One example very close to home is what Rex did when he came here. He took a middle of the pack defense and with essentially the same players made them the number one D in one season. Philosophy is very important. Even more so on offense IMO. Look at the AFC championship game last year. We run it down their throats to get a first and goal then Schotty gets tricky and we lose out on the TD. If we run it all 4 downs there it's a good probability we score.

Your points are well taken through. It's not necessarily the cure all to switch out OC's. I hope they get the right guy.

The Jaguars offensive coordinator? Did I really just read that?

It's all making sense now, us Jets fans are being punked! Like they would really downgrade from Schotty. You really had us going for a second there, you effin guys. Where are the cameras??

Archived