Peyton Manning career likely over - multiple sources

BroadwayJ667

So let me preface this by saying that I never have taken Jason cole seriously, but there are others reporting similar stories.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_peyton_manning_colts_neck_surgery_jim_irsay013012

also

According to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, "whispers coming out of Indy" are that Peyton Manning's (neck surgeries) career is over.

Those close to Manning believe he's "determined" to continue his football career, but we don't doubt that there is heavy speculation among Colts fans and team observers about Manning considering or even being close to retirement. More information should continue to trickle out as the days pass by.

and of course

Peter King on NBC and PTI saying that Gil Brandt also saying his neck is not healing.

Cole Story

INDIANAPOLIS – For all the discussion over Peyton Manning’s future with the Indianapolis Colts, the underlying issue is that people close to him don’t believe he’ll resume his career.

The nerves in Manning’s arm are not healing as quickly as hoped and, worse, don’t appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again, according to two sources with knowledge of Manning’s rehabilitation from neck surgery. The vertebrae in his neck that were fused have healed as expected and Manning began throwing in December. But he hasn’t shown improvement in velocity on his passes, and the two sources fear he likely never will again.

In addition, two league-affiliated doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery said it could take up to a year before Manning knows if he can return. Both said the risk is too great for Manning to play again and, because of the timeline, neither would recommend the Colts pay Manning the $28 million bonus he is owed in March.

Manning couldn’t be reached for comment.

Colts owner Jim Irsay declined to talk about Manning’s health on Monday before a news conference, but did say, “There are no cases of quarterbacks going through this.”

Irsay may have no choice but to let go of Manning. While some people have tried to paint the situation as Irsay choosing to move on from Manning as he rebuilds the Colts after a 2-14 season, that was not Irsay’s intention months ago. In October, Irsay discussed the optimal situation of having both Manning and his heir apparent on the roster simultaneously.

At this point, that scenario is unlikely and not because Irsay doesn’t want to pay the money for Manning. Rather, Manning has hit a plateau in his rehabilitation in terms of getting stronger, both sources said. While atrophy in the arm was expected, the fact that it hasn’t improved recently is an ominous sign.

“Right now, Peyton is at about six months. He should have a much better idea by July or August just how far he’s going to get … even then, that’s only a part of it. You can tell about 80 percent of how the nerves and the muscles are healing by rehab. What you really have to see is how his arm holds up when he starts to throw. Does he have the same velocity on the 15-yard out? Can he throw the 60-yard pass? Can he throw for 30 minutes before his arm gets tired? Can he throw for an hour? It’s a very complicated process.” It’s a process Irsay may not be able to gamble on at this point.

As for Manning’s side of it, he remains confident that he will return to action next season even as the progress remains slow. Last week in an extensive interview with Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star, Manning expressed frustration as to why so many people who he has worked with over the years have been let go by the team, including team president Bill Polian and coach Jim Caldwell. While Manning understands the team needing to move forward, he believes he will be able to play again.

Everything else aside, what a disappointing way for a guy like this to go out.

What a horribly run franchise. You can literally plug and play anyone at the WR position as long as they have a DROP of talent and you're good to go. He buys your O-line a couple seconds on every play. He lets your defense play hyper-aggressive football because you know he can take it down the field at will if you mess up. People want to come play with him. He never gets hurt (until now.) And yet, despite 15 years or so of THAT... 1 superbowl? Really?

What a horribly run franchise. You can literally plug and play anyone at the WR position as long as they have a DROP of talent and you're good to go. He buys your O-line a couple seconds on every play. He lets your defense play hyper-aggressive football because you know he can take it down the field at will if you mess up. People want to come play with him. He never gets hurt (until now.) And yet, despite 15 years or so of THAT... 1 superbowl? Really?

This. It was apparent that Peyton was carrying the team, especially in the last few years, but the extent of it kind of surprised me. Luck is walking into a situation where he'd better be real good real fast, because that team is awful.

I'm not only sad this hurts the Jets chances of Manning coming to NY, but I'm sad because it hurts the National Football League. This guy was the most professional athlete I ever seen play in any sport. The way he worked and prepared to the way he conducted himself is the exact way every player should be. On top of that, he might be the best QB ever.

It's unbelievable. I wish this guy came out in 96. I wish. Our lives will be so different at this point.

Believe it when I see it. Right now this looks like Irsay made a bunch of phone calls to do some image rehabilitation after Peyton took him out at the knees last week. IMO, this will play out similar to Favre in that Peyton will keep rehabbing and working out, eventually signing a "show me" deal in July with some team like the Niners.

all joking aside about the Giants success, Peyton will go down as a better QB than either Brady, Eli or anyone else playing today.

maybe not Brees if Brees keeps racking up them 5k yard seasons tho lol

Pat O'brien was saying Peyton's career was over literally 2-3 months ago

Our generations Dan Marino.

Our generations Dan Marino.

Manning didn't exactly have Don Shula.

But Manning did have Dungy. And I think it's a bit unfair to Marino. Marino played in the super team era where great teams dominated the SB, to many extent, overshadowing the QB. Guys like Marino and young Elway could take their weaker teams so far before losing to a super team in the postseason.

If Marino played to day when it's superstar QBs that rule because of parity, then he would have at least 1 ring and maybe more.

Manning didn't exactly have Don Shula.

Yeah, that doesn't matter - not going to split hairs over who had what, what era they played in - ultimately Manning will be talked about like Marino is today. The best QB in the league when he played, but he just couldn't rack up championships. Sucks.

If Marino played to day when it's superstar QBs that rule because of parity, then he would have at least 1 ring and maybe more.

Let's not blame parity. It's really the wussification of the NFL that is responsible - all this pass first garbage and before you know it quarterbacks aren't football players anymore, they're like kickers that get paid 1,000 times the salary.

If you want to know what the mind of a "pass first" fan is - it's that of an 8 year old brat that just turned the game on and says, herp derp, why waste time running when you can throw it further, herp derp. That is the mental equivalent of these people, remember that.

Let's not blame parity. It's really the wussification of the NFL that is responsible - all this pass first garbage and before you know it quarterbacks aren't football players anymore, they're like kickers that get paid 1,000 times the salary.

If you want to know what the mind of a "pass first" fan is - it's that of an 8 year old brat that just turned the game on and says, herp derp, why waste time running when you can throw it further, herp derp. That is the mental equivalent of these people, remember that.

While pussification is a factor, parity is a major factor because it increases the impact of the superstar QB. With teams no longer as good, the QB has the greatest impact on wins and losses.

and there it is, no topic can go with out the "Sanchez sucks" reference.

Wow! That came out of your mouth, not mine. I never said he sucked. If you think Mark Sanchez is anywhere near as good as Peyton Manning you need to reevaluate yourself. Cause either you know nothing about football, or you are attracted to Mark on more than a football level.

With that said, Mark Sanchez is terrible.

the same could have been said of Marino sans Superbowl...

Wow! That came out of your mouth, not mine. I never said he sucked. If you think Mark Sanchez is anywhere near as good as Peyton Manning you need to reevaluate yourself. Cause either you know nothing about football, or you are attracted to Mark on more than a football level.

With that said, Mark Sanchez is terrible.

slow down, I have never said sanchez is as good as anyone, as a matter of fact I have never even said I think he is any good. I am just sick of every topic on this board being turned into a Sanchez bashing.

Dude was worse in the playoffs than Dan Marino. Even the one ring he did win, his defense and running game were responsible for (especially the 15-10 win over Baltimore where Vinatieri kicked 5 FGs.)

But Manning did have Dungy. And I think it's a bit unfair to Marino. Marino played in the super team era where great teams dominated the SB, to many extent, overshadowing the QB. Guys like Marino and young Elway could take their weaker teams so far before losing to a super team in the postseason.

Dungy? Lol.

my guess, this is to get the colts to release him and everyone saves face.. he'll sign with someone in the summer and claim he's gotten a lot healthier in the last 3 months

maybe hoping...

Delusional is more like it. I told you Peyton was done for the longest.

Dungy? Lol.

Shula? LOL

slow down, I have never said sanchez is as good as anyone, as a matter of fact I have never even said I think he is any good. I am just sick of every topic on this board being turned into a Sanchez bashing.

How is my comment that Mark Sanchez is happy about Peyton not being potentially available to come to NY any indication that I am bashing him?

Delusional is more like it. I told you Peyton was done for the longest.

And I've repeatedly acknowledged that possibility. Only a blockhead can be convinced about something that is unknown by the people directly involved

btw, from the horse face's mouth

And I've repeatedly acknowledged that possibility. Only a blockhead can be convinced about something that is unknown by the people directly involved

btw, from the horse face's mouth

You except 5 Head to say he's done?

Archived