Brady takes some heat in Boston

F.Chowds

Brady takes some heat in Boston

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 6, 2012, 1:24 PM EST

tombradypostgame.jpg?w=141

Getty Images

In sports, at least in the eyes of some, you’re only as good as your last game. And at least in the mind of one Boston sports writer, that means Tom Brady is not very good.

In a column that takes a sneering tone and blames Brady for the Patriots’ Super Bowl XLVI loss, Eric Wilbur of the Boston Globe goes after Brady with a vengeance you’d expect from a Jets fan message board, not a column in New England’s biggest newspaper.

Words like “hideous” and “embarrassing” are tossed around to describe Brady’s performance, and the responsibility for the Pats’ loss is placed squarely on Brady’s shoulders.

Worse, Wilbur suggests that Brady doesn’t care, that he’ll brush it off quickly because he’ll head down to South America with his Brazilian supermodel wife and live the good life this offseason.

As quarterbacks usually do, Brady got too much credit for the Patriots’ three Super Bowl wins. But now he’s getting too much blame for a loss. Brady wasn’t at his best on Sunday, but he wasn’t as terrible as Wilbur thinks. And the suggestion that he doesn’t care is absurd. For an example of a much better column that describes how much Brady really does care, read Dan Wetzel at Yahoo, who describes a devastated Brady taking a long time to gather himself in the Patriots’ locker roomafter Sunday night’s loss.

Brady failed to earn his fourh Super Bowl ring on Sunday, but he remains one of the game’s great quarterbacks. If he’s taking heat in Boston today, that just goes to show that even the greatest players can’t please everyone.

Not so safety call: Blame Brady for this one

February 05, 2012|Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff, Globe Staff

The legend is dead, the prince has turned back into a frog, and...well, use whatever other cliché you want.

A performance as bad as Tom Brady's tonight in Super Bowl XLVI deserves a lead just as lame.

Sorry, Tommy Boy, this one's on you. Your hideous performance led to the Giants' 21-17 Super Bowl title win. How embarrassing for your coach, your teammates, and your fans.

But especially for you, boy wonder. It was one thing when you led the game off with a safety, which surely put plenty of faith into the heart of Patriot Nation, but just when you have the game, just when you might be able to run off the clock, you huck the thing downfield. Yes, if Wes Welker catches that thing, you're in the clear, and fans will place the blame either way, but what happened to being safe in that situation? What happened to the Patriot Way and clock management?

What happened to you?

What an embarrassment for the Patriots organization and Bob Kraft. So now the Giants have taken Lombardi from you twice, and you haven't looked this bad in a playoff game since...well, two weeks ago against the Ravens. Maybe that moment will actually hit you as you're whittling down water slides in South America looking like Prince Valiant this spring. The Patriots haven't won a title in seven years, but even worse, they're now turning into the Buffalo Bills, with the Giants being their Cowboy daddy. That's not easy to swallow in a region where New York is regarded as highly as the menu at Beacon Hill Pub.

But, there you are, Tom. That's what you have become. Your legacy has been stamped, but you're turning your Joe Montana status into one of Jim Kelly. But, hey what you worry? There's that new mansion in the "Names" pages to deal with.

Yes, there were plenty of dropped passes to go around. Granted. But when you begin the game with such a boneheaded play, then proceed to make random mistakes, sorry, Tom, game is on you.

There was no fourth and 13 to blame Belichick for.

Welker was the closest thing to Asante, and the eeriness compared to the Tyree play will be discussed for decades to come.

Thanks for that too. Can't wait. Oh, look, another text coming in from 212...

Tom, it's not all your fault, but you're the poster boy, you had opportunities, and you failed to make them. Add to that your blunders, and it all becomes about you. You blew this Super Bowl. You denied your coach No. 4. You let down your teammates.

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven. How's that hit you?

Maybe it doesn't hit you as hard anymore, and maybe that's the problem.

The safety killed the Patriots. Killed them.

And there's nobody to blame but Tom Brady.

However hard it might be to swallow, the glory days are gone. Even Montana handed off to Mallett at some point, right?

Brady sucked yesterday, but so did the offensive game plan. You're in a Super Bowl with the bestest QB everrrrrr and you decide to dink it all day? The Giants will let you throw it down the field. Really weird.

The Pats dont have those kind of weapons....Gronkowski was there down the field guy and he could barely run.

Are you ******* kidding me? Did you read the guys article? Does he really want Mallet now? Holy sh*t. The media is an F'ing joke and Boston is the worst.

The Pats would still be the obsolete organization they were and BB might not even be a HC if it werent for Brady. What a joke.

I hate Brady. But do not think if he is all to blame for the loss.

The Pats offense was heavily dependent on TE play. And when your leading TE is injured that too away a vital weapon from Bradys grasp. And despite that he had a good game and the Pats could have won that game despite all their mental mistakes if only they had held onto the ball at the end of the game.

Not so safety call: Blame Brady for this one

February 05, 2012|Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff, Globe Staff

The legend is dead, the prince has turned back into a frog, and...well, use whatever other cliché you want.

A performance as bad as Tom Brady's tonight in Super Bowl XLVI deserves a lead just as lame.

Sorry, Tommy Boy, this one's on you. Your hideous performance led to the Giants' 21-17 Super Bowl title win. How embarrassing for your coach, your teammates, and your fans.

But especially for you, boy wonder. It was one thing when you led the game off with a safety, which surely put plenty of faith into the heart of Patriot Nation, but just when you have the game, just when you might be able to run off the clock, you huck the thing downfield. Yes, if Wes Welker catches that thing, you're in the clear, and fans will place the blame either way, but what happened to being safe in that situation? What happened to the Patriot Way and clock management?

What happened to you?

What an embarrassment for the Patriots organization and Bob Kraft. So now the Giants have taken Lombardi from you twice, and you haven't looked this bad in a playoff game since...well, two weeks ago against the Ravens. Maybe that moment will actually hit you as you're whittling down water slides in South America looking like Prince Valiant this spring. The Patriots haven't won a title in seven years, but even worse, they're now turning into the Buffalo Bills, with the Giants being their Cowboy daddy. That's not easy to swallow in a region where New York is regarded as highly as the menu at Beacon Hill Pub.

But, there you are, Tom. That's what you have become. Your legacy has been stamped, but you're turning your Joe Montana status into one of Jim Kelly. But, hey what you worry? There's that new mansion in the "Names" pages to deal with.

Yes, there were plenty of dropped passes to go around. Granted. But when you begin the game with such a boneheaded play, then proceed to make random mistakes, sorry, Tom, game is on you.

There was no fourth and 13 to blame Belichick for.

Welker was the closest thing to Asante, and the eeriness compared to the Tyree play will be discussed for decades to come.

Thanks for that too. Can't wait. Oh, look, another text coming in from 212...

Tom, it's not all your fault, but you're the poster boy, you had opportunities, and you failed to make them. Add to that your blunders, and it all becomes about you. You blew this Super Bowl. You denied your coach No. 4. You let down your teammates.

Eli and Peyton now have as many rings as you combined over the past five years. You haven't sniffed one in seven. How's that hit you?

Maybe it doesn't hit you as hard anymore, and maybe that's the problem.

The safety killed the Patriots. Killed them.

And there's nobody to blame but Tom Brady.

However hard it might be to swallow, the glory days are gone. Even Montana handed off to Mallett at some point, right?

OMG.. Bunch of irrational spoiled ******* babies. Can;t stand Brady and things Patriot but i would punch this guy in his temple for giggles. LOL 7 years. Try 44 you pompous spoiled prick. It's ok Tommy, if they don;t want you, you can come here and back up Peyton next year. LOL

Brady sucked yesterday, but so did the offensive game plan. You're in a Super Bowl with the bestest QB everrrrrr and you decide to dink it all day? The Giants will let you throw it down the field. Really weird.

He was actually pretty good....he was off target after that hit from Osi.

Fans love to over-react to wins and to losses. Magnify it a million times after a superbowl loss and you have fans acting like morons. I see it here after every loss, I see it at at Pats boards. You see it in NY papers, you see it Boston papers.

Still, 'gotta love these idiot spoiled fans....probably 25 years old and clueless to the tortured history of the Pats before Kraft, Parcells, Bledsoe, Belichick and Brady.

OMG.. Bunch of irrational spoiled ******* babies. Can;t stand Brady and things Patriot but i would punch this guy in his temple for giggles. LOL 7 years. Try 44 you pompous spoiled prick. It's ok Tommy, if they don;t want you, you can come here and back up Peyton next year. LOL

perfect example pats bandwagon fans, they have no clue what real pain is

The Giants had 2 safeties most of the game.

Gronk wasnt close to 100%.

AND the Pats had the ball, driving late in the 4th, with a lead.

I think this game is being a bit overanalysed.

Actually Boston fans do not really care for the Pats. They are just annoyed they had to wait this long in the year to get their attentions back to the Red Sox!

Incorrect. Pats far exceed viewership in Boston now than do the Sox. It's a dirty little secret the Sox brass and the Boston Globe don't want you to know. Plus, pretty sure the Sox will suck out loud this year. Good. Hate that ownership and the team....bunch of pansie a$$ beer drinking, fried chicken eatin' turds.

Incorrect. Pats far exceed viewership in Boston now than do the Sox. It's a dirty little secret the Sox brass and the Boston Globe don't want you to know. Plus, pretty sure the Sox will suck out loud this year. Good. Hate that ownership and the team....bunch of pansie a$$ beer drinking, fried chicken eatin' turds.

Hey!!!!!,, that's fcked' up.

The Giants had 2 safeties most of the game.

Gronk wasnt close to 100%.

AND the Pats had the ball, driving late in the 4th, with a lead.

I think this game is being a bit overanalysed.

Gronk was no way 100%. You see him trying to cut. No where near what he was. If he was 100%, Brady would have thrown in his direction more. That's not an excuse, btw. They shoudl have game planned better.

Gronk was no way 100%. You see him trying to cut. No where near what he was. If he was 100%, Brady would have thrown in his direction more. That's not an excuse, btw. They shoudl have game planned better.

Agreed. It sucks for the Patriots that they dont have 2 really good TE's. If they did, maybe they'd have got him the ball more or something.

Having a WR would help too...but, now were just being nit picky.

Agreed. It sucks for the Patriots that they dont have 2 really good TE's. If they did, maybe they'd have got him the ball more or something.

Having a WR would help too...but, now were just being nit picky.

LOL! wise guy.

I want linebackers myself. Oh, and an OC that doesn't mind running the ball - TO THE OUTSIDE - you know, instead of handing off to Woodhead up the middle into the teeth of the Gianst defense. Je-us H Ch*st - good luck at Penn, B.O.

Disagree on the gameplan. Pats had the lead and the ball with less than 5 minutes to go in SB. Whatever gameplan they had put them in a great position to win.

Welker was open and drops a pass (not a great throw). If Welker makes the catch, were all cursing a Pats win.

I've never seen a QB with more time to throw the ball than Tom Brady. He is an above average QB who is totally overrated based on how much time he hast to throw and little pressure he faces. Put Brady on a team with a mediocre OL and he would crumble in the face of a pass rush.

YEP true rockin chair QB

I've never seen a QB with more time to throw the ball than Tom Brady. He is an above average QB who is totally overrated based on how much time he hast to throw and little pressure he faces. Put Brady on a team with a mediocre OL and he would crumble in the face of a pass rush.

I thought he scrambled out of the pocket pretty well last nite. I also thought the o-line got gassed in the fourth qtr. I also think that since the receivers aren't especially quick, Brady is forced to hold the ball longer than he wants to. He's a great QB in my book. Wouldn't want anyone else.

Anyway, Tuck should have gotten the MVP, not Eli. He was better than Brady, but not by much. Honestly, if you think about it, the kicker and punter should have been considered for MVP too.

But, haters are 'gonna hate. Go on....

I thought he scrambled out of the pocket pretty well last nite. I also thought the o-line got gassed in the fourth qtr. I also think that since the receivers aren't especially quick, Brady is forced to hold the ball longer than he wants to. He's a great QB in my book. Wouldn't want anyone else.

Anyway, Tuck should have gotten the MVP, not Eli. He was better than Brady, but not by much. Honestly, if you think about it, the kicker and punter should have been considered for MVP too.

Like I said Garb, above average QB who gets the benefit of rarely being hit and throwing with little to no pass rush. Gotta give BB some credit in how the OL was built, but Brady rarely sees pressure. The OL probably did get a little gassed at the end of the game but that was really the first time Brady saw any pressure at all. Hell, on the safety in the 1st quarter he probably had 5 seconds to hold the ball before making that mistake.

the game of football often comes down to the bounce of the ball.

the giants fumbled at least 3x and the pats recovered none, lost by 4.

chase blackburn makes the grab of his life, manningham as well.

the difference was turnovers.

Brady did not suck last night but he could have played better. the team that doesn't turn it over usually wins.

Archived