Cellphones today...

gangreenman

Are what video games were 10-15 years ago.

The coolest thing out there and so many good options to choose from!

Wow, look at all these upgrades and new programs available with the new hardware!

I can't believe these 2 companies have completely taken over the business, and rendered its competitors obsolete..

Meh..Its time to find the next thing to be addicted to,

Discuss.

Cloud computing. Granted we already have it, but we're a few years away from that being the general standard. Once that happens, I think that'll be the end of traditional downloads and discs when it comes to movies, music, and games. Downloading is for the birds anyways, I don't get anyone that isn't on streaming by now.

Ipad's are probably the next thing lol

This isn't really all that out there. Right now they're still social and mobile devices, but as the next generation comes up, pens, pencils, and paper are going to start becoming more and more phased out as tablets become cheaper. Sooner or later it's going to become in a school's best interest to invest less in computers and more in tablets for their students. There's a reason why all the tech companies doing well right now are the ones that act like mobile companies first.

Downloading is for the birds anyways, I don't get anyone that isn't on streaming by now.

I download because it's free, and I can bring those files with me where I don't have an internet connection.

Cloud computing. Granted we already have it, but we're a few years away from that being the general standard. Once that happens, I think that'll be the end of traditional downloads and discs when it comes to movies, music, and games. Downloading is for the birds anyways, I don't get anyone that isn't on streaming by now.

This isn't really all that out there. Right now they're still social and mobile devices, but as the next generation comes up, pens, pencils, and paper are going to start becoming more and more phased out as tablets become cheaper. Sooner or later it's going to become in a school's best interest to invest less in computers and more in tablets for their students. There's a reason why all the tech companies doing well right now are the ones that act like mobile companies first.

I'm pushing my company to get tablets for the service guys. everything in one place, work orders, parts pricing, hourly rates, GPS, manufacturers installation manuals, troubleshooting guides, building codes. the customer can sign the work order, and poof an invoice is created and inventory is adjusted.

it makes so muh sense, the knuckleheads I work for will never do it, lol...

I download because it's free, and I can bring those files with me where I don't have an internet connection.

Services like Spotify are resolving that hiccup with offline modes. Stuff like that is still in its infancy stage, but it does look like where it's heading. Once Apple jumps on board that'll be the beginning of the end. It's just a matter of time, they didn't buy Lala for no reason.

I'm pushing my company to get tablets for the service guys. everything in one place, work orders, parts pricing, hourly rates, GPS, manufacturers installation manuals, troubleshooting guides, building codes. the customer can sign the work order, and poof an invoice is created and inventory is adjusted.

it makes so muh sense, the knuckleheads I work for will never do it, lol...

Some younger guy right down the block from me started a FedEx/DHS kiosk within another store. All with just an iPad and nothing more. The only other hardware he had to invest in was the credit card reader that they sell as an iPad attachment now (the one where you sign the receipt with your finger on the tablet). He doesn't even use paper aside from giving customers printed receipts, and according to him his profit margin has more than exceeded expectations within under a year and he has a few more around the city already. Almost no overhead aside from rent, receipt paper, shipping labels, and a new iPad every time he opens up a new one. Runs the entire business through nothing more than a couple apps. Absolutely incredible.

Isn't the scuttlebutt that WiFi will eventually be omnipresent and provided via municipalities? I thought I read that a few years ago when NYC started providing WiFi in Bryant Park.

this idea is as older then some posters on this board, the issue is and always has been one of bandwidth.. with 4g, we're finally getting the infrastructure in place to support mass acceptance.. I have 2 tablets, but they are basically worthless if I'm not on my local network, and when I'm home the laptop is more powerful and easier to use. Now, if I had 4g in my area, and could actually use my tablet everywhere, I'd invest the energy and $$ in figuring out to make it my primary machine....

Also, don't be surprised if MS has a successful port of Windows around the same time. Folks in my age bracket (35+) would prefer to avoid having to learn a completely new OS. A successful Windows port will significantly ease the learning curve. MS has largely lost the younger generation, but it's guys like me who run IT departments that standardize on windows...

this idea is as older then some posters on this board, the issue is and always has been one of bandwidth.. with 4g, we're finally getting the infrastructure in place to support mass acceptance.. I have 2 tablets, but they are basically worthless if I'm not on my local network, and when I'm home the laptop is more powerful and easier to use. Now, if I had 4g in my area, and could actually use my tablet everywhere, I'd invest the energy and $$ in figuring out to make it my primary machine....

Oh I agree, but don't forget, it was only 2 years ago that the iPad debuted and cynics galore cried "OMG it looks like a giant iPhone this is stooooopid." Now it's tablets galore everywhere. If there's one thing I think that iPhones and Droid-powered phones have proven, it's that Google and Apple hire the most brilliant people in the world to figure this sh*t out. I have a feeling they'll be just fine. Both companies have been going all in on the tablet market and I don't think that would be the case if they didn't believe it was a solvable dilemma.

Also, don't be surprised if MS has a successful port of Windows around the same time. Folks in my age bracket (35+) would prefer to avoid having to learn a completely new OS. A successful Windows port will significantly ease the learning curve. MS has largely lost the younger generation, but it's guys like me who run IT departments that standardize on windows...

Yeah, it definitely seems like the old farts are helping Windows stay afloat. From someone who's around youngsters most of the time, I'll say that when someone pulls out a Windows powered laptop in a classroom, they kind of get looked at like they just pulled out a Betamax. But yeah, companies like IBM and Microsoft will be around for a long time just because of the already established client and user lists that have been since forever.

Oh I agree, but don't forget, it was only 2 years ago that the iPad debuted and cynics galore cried "OMG it looks like a giant iPhone this is stooooopid." Now it's tablets galore everywhere. If there's one thing I think that iPhones and Droid-powered phones have proven, it's that Google and Apple hire the most brilliant people in the world to figure this sh*t out. I have a feeling they'll be just fine. Both companies have been going all in on the tablet market and I don't think that would be the case if they didn't believe it was a solvable dilemma.

Yeah.. the bandwidth is catching up. If Apple tried this 10 years ago it wouldn't have worked as well. It's getting to the point where high speed access is going to be ubiquitous enough to support. The real big money will be in business use. We have some Ipad's just for our QA dept solely for testing, no business user gets one.

Yeah, it definitely seems like the old farts are helping Windows stay afloat. From someone who's around youngsters most of the time, I'll say that when someone pulls out a Windows powered laptop in a classroom, they kind of get looked at like they just pulled out a Betamax. But yeah, companies like IBM and Microsoft will be around for a long time just because of the already established client and user lists that have been since forever.

yep.. If Windows puts out a tablet OS with good reviews I will buy, as it will be ideal for me to use all the programs I already know on a different form factor. Right now, my tablets are basically a netflix/youtube/hulu streaming devices that allow the kids or me to watch something different. I just don't have the energy to figure out how to be productive on it. I basically use it for nothing besides entertainment

Yeah.. the bandwidth is catching up. If Apple tried this 10 years ago it wouldn't have worked as well. It's getting to the point where high speed access is going to be ubiquitous enough to support. The real big money will be in business use. We have some Ipad's just for our QA dept solely for testing, no business user gets one.

That's why I still think it's a generation away. Once it starts getting incorporated into education that'll be the beginning of its inclusion into the status quo. But IMO, it's coming. No doubt.

yep.. If Windows puts out a tablet OS with good reviews I will buy, as it will be ideal for me to use all the programs I already know on a different form factor. Right now, my tablets are basically a netflix/youtube/hulu streaming devices that allow the kids or me to watch something different. I just don't have the energy to figure out how to be productive on it. I basically use it for nothing besides entertainment

That's the get. Even if you're not using it in your office, you're still in the process of gradually introducing it into your life as your entertainment device. So even if your office isn't buying you one, you are either for yourself or for your kids. That's only becoming stronger over time.

The thing about Microsoft is that I think they're too far on the outs already. Apple and Google own the tablet and phone markets, they're not about to make it easy for MS to sync up easily with their devices.

That's why I still think it's a generation away. Once it starts getting incorporated into education that'll be the beginning of its inclusion into the status quo. But IMO, it's coming. No doubt.

Yeah man, that was my point, people have known it's coming for decades.. Further down the road the reality is that if we don't kill ourselves over religious douchbaggery or resource saturation, we'll realize the melding of biology and technology... in 100 years we'll all be superhuman cyborgs... I wish would be alive to see it.

That's the get. Even if you're not using it in your office, you're still in the process of gradually introducing it into your life as your entertainment device. So even if your office isn't buying you one, you are either for yourself or for your kids. That's only becoming stronger over time.

The thing about Microsoft is that I think they're too far on the outs already. Apple and Google own the tablet and phone markets, they're not about to make it easy for MS to sync up easily with their devices.

Agreed entertainment is the way in, Windows still has a window (Har) though, it's closing rapidly, but they still have a shot. If they produce a good machine and a workable port, me and droves of other 40ish people would buy them, watch there netflix/pron + use excel/outlook/word and all the other windows programs they are comfortable with. I'd love to be able to take my work computer on the road in tablet form factor, some means of syncing a laptop w/windows tablet running the same programs would be ideal for me. Cloud storage makes it easy

Will be interesting to see for sure. Windows is saddled with backwards compatibility and a huge support tab, Google is quickly realizing the treachery of running on diverse non standardized hardware. And apples closed system and high prices can go **** themselves, I hope they are largely irrelevant in 10 years (with the loss of jobs, not impossible)

i was a technological pariah in class with my cheap Acer that i have. i wasnt ever embarrassed,but i know the looks you're talking about all too well .

Yeah man, that was my point, people have known it's coming for decades.. Further down the road the reality is that if we don't kill ourselves over religious douchbaggery or resource saturation, we'll realize the melding of biology and technology... in 100 years we'll all be superhuman cyborgs... I wish would be alive to see it.

Agreed entertainment is the way in, Windows still has a window (Har) though, it's closing rapidly, but they still have a shot. If they produce a good machine and a workable port, me and droves of other 40ish people would buy them, watch there netflix/pron + use excel/outlook/word and all the other windows programs they are comfortable with. I'd love to be able to take my work computer on the road in tablet form factor, some means of syncing a laptop w/windows tablet running the same programs would be ideal for me. Cloud storage makes it easy

Will be interesting to see for sure. Windows is saddled with backwards compatibility and a huge support tab, Google is quickly realizing the treachery of running on diverse non standardized hardware. And apples closed system and high prices can go **** themselves, I hope they are largely irrelevant in 10 years (with the loss of jobs, not impossible)

Oh yeah, hence Google coming out with their own tablets and phones now. Kudos to them for not falling victim to Microsoft syndrome. I think Apple will be fine, Cook's been doing a great job by showing humility and realizing he isn't Jobs and surrounding himself with good hires. Their engineers are still the best in the biz and they're still patenting something new and crazy every week for future use.

i was a technological pariah in class with my cheap Acer that i have. i wasnt ever embarrassed,but i know the looks you're talking about all too well .

Dont knock your Acer too hard Joe. A couple of months ago I was going to take a non-Apple tablet plunge because I thought it would be nice to have something larger than my Evo 4G phone.

For $250 I got a 10.1" Acer Aspire - maxed out with RAM which runs a stripped down version of Win 7 very quickly.

The downside?:

• I don't get to push things around with my fingers and type on the screen.

• It's probably 2x as thick as a tablet with the cover closed.

The upside:

• It fits very nicely in a covered folder with paper tablet that I can carry into meetings

And then a bunch of stuff most tablets cant do:

• load Adobe 3D viewer and review designs on it - or any other software
  • plug in USB drives with "you name it" archived audio and video in ANY format and play it.
  • drive the 32" LED TV on the back porch with it - anything archived or anything on the WEB.

All for $250. I don't need a tablet - especially a $800 one.

Dont knock your Acer too hard Joe. A couple of months ago I was going to take a non-Apple tablet plunge because I thought it would be nice to have something larger than my Evo 4G phone.

For $250 I got a 10.1" Acer Aspire - maxed out with RAM which runs a stripped down version of Win 7 very quickly.

The downside?:

• I don't get to push things around with my fingers and type on the screen.

• It's probably 2x as thick as a tablet with the cover closed.

The upside:

• It fits very nicely in a covered folder with paper tablet that I can carry into meetings

And then a bunch of stuff most tablets cant do:

• load Adobe 3D viewer and review designs on it - or any other software
  • plug in USB drives with "you name it" archived audio and video in ANY format and play it.
  • drive the 32" LED TV on the back porch with it - anything archived or anything on the WEB.

All for $250. I don't need a tablet - especially a $800 one.

dont get me wrong. i love my Acer. i got it for $299 as a walmart special. in fact i use it more than the ipad i got for graduation. But in these classes the ones without the Macs are essentially shunned

dont get me wrong. i love my Acer. i got it for $299 as a walmart special. in fact i use it more than the ipad i got for graduation. But in these classes the ones without the Macs are essentially shunned

kids are idiots.. they are over paying for merchandise based primarily on big business marketing and supporting a company that is the furthest possible thing from open.. It should go against everything the idealistic little commies stand for

kids are idiots.. they are over paying for merchandise based primarily on big business marketing and supporting a company that is the furthest possible thing from open.. It should go against everything the idealistic little commies stand for

the schools dont help matters by putting them in every classroom as the main computers for the school. i had never used a Mac until my junior year of college when i transferred, i had to get acquainted with them real quick.

. they are over paying for merchandise based primarily on big business marketing and supporting a company that is the furthest possible thing from open.

And that is why I'll never buy a dimes worth of that sh!t. No doubt it is good product - very good product. It's what I hated most about Gates on his worst day. But I go past the Apple store in town and they are literally lined up to get in like a club on a Saturday night - just like herded sheep. If I had a bleat horn on the car - I'd blow it as I went past - baaaaahh

And that is why I'll never buy a dimes worth of that sh!t. No doubt it is good product - very good product. It's what I hated most about Gates on his worst day. But I go past the Apple store in town and they are literally lined up to get in like a club on a Saturday night - just like herded sheep. If I had a bleat horn on the car - I'd blow it as I went past - baaaaahh

It's a good product cause there's no diversity and flexibility. What google's attempting to do with android is infinitely more difficult

My phone is 6 years old. I can phone people with it, and get calls. I can send and receive texts. When it comes down to it, that's all that really matters.

How long did it take to send that post on dial up?

These conversations about getting looked weird faces for using a Windows laptop in class are funny, in my opinion. I guess it depends on the school. At mine, engineering and computer science are the two most popular majors, so there's a good diversity of devices. I currently dual-boot Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and Windows 7; in general it's probably 50-50 between PC and Macs. I kind of wish I went the OSX route because AMD's proprietary graphics drivers don't really work well on Linux, but I need the Terminal and the Unix architecture for programming.

I don't think "openness" really matters in desktop OSes--you're unlikely to be making significant changes to the kernel on any Linux distro, and none of the OSes are restrictive in what you can and cannot download. Unless you're talking about the philosophy--in which case choosing between Windows and OSX is a wash. And Linux has too many bastards submitting bug fixes for random things that just change some hexadecimal value to something like 0B00B5 . Real clever, a$$hole.

Google's making some significant strides in unifying their OS among different devices--by finally clamping down on an app interface --the "holo" theme that's becoming the standard with apps. Also, stock 4.0/4.1 is sexy enough to not need major cosmetic changes. But it's still a major pain in the ass for developers to make apps that are functional across all screen sizes/processors etc., and it remains to be seen if any of the major OEMs/carriers will get better at pushing updates.

so because something is popular that makes it bad - weird viewpoint.

so because something is popular that makes it bad - weird viewpoint.

Didn't say it was bad, bro. Matter of fact said it was good product for what it did. It's what it doesn't and wont do, by design, that will keep me from buying/supporting it.

These conversations about getting looked weird faces for using a Windows laptop in class are funny, in my opinion. I guess it depends on the school. At mine, engineering and computer science are the two most popular majors, so there's a good diversity of devices. I currently dual-boot Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and Windows 7; in general it's probably 50-50 between PC and Macs. I kind of wish I went the OSX route because AMD's proprietary graphics drivers don't really work well on Linux, but I need the Terminal and the Unix architecture for programming.

I don't think "openness" really matters in desktop OSes--you're unlikely to be making significant changes to the kernel on any Linux distro, and none of the OSes are restrictive in what you can and cannot download. Unless you're talking about the philosophy--in which case choosing between Windows and OSX is a wash. And Linux has too many bastards submitting bug fixes for random things that just change some hexadecimal value to something like 0B00B5 . Real clever, a$$hole.

We are all going to end up working for you some day.

Archived