Holy Christ. Is this true? Jets internal depth charts color-coded by contract status?

T0mShane

Please tell me this is common practice and not just some backwards-ass accountant bullsh*t.

idk but it makes some sense. cutting a player is not always solely dependant upon his on the field contribution. sometimes it does or doesn't make sense to cut a player because of the cap hit or lack thereof

It looks to me like contract status is more a determinant of what year in the contract they are in ie. walk year, and less of how much they are getting paid. Could be wrong, but I don't see why it matters that someone decided to color-code it. It's not like without the code, the FO and Tanny are oblivious to everyone's contract.

Sounds serious, as usual. First no blocking TE, no great second RB, no great RT, and now color coded depth charts....Tannenbomb just don't understand.

Gotta pause here, because I've seen you type this a few times. Is it your position that not having a right tackle, not having a tight end that can run block, and not having a legit option at running back behind the perpetually dinged-up Shonn Greene are not issues in a run-first offense? Or is this just a sly, back-handed continuation of your drug-induced allegiance to Brian Schottenheimer?

Gotta pause here, because I've seen you type this a few times. Is it your position that not having a right tackle, not having a tight end that can run block, and not having a legit option at running back behind the perpetually dinged-up Shonn Greene are not issues in a run-first offense? Or is this just a sly, back-handed continuation of your drug-induced allegiance to Brian Schottenheimer?

Oh horsesh*t and you know it. The only reason they say they're a run first offense is because it's literally impossible for them to say otherwise. They can't just outright say they have no offense and saying they have a passing offense is just as big of a lie. Nobody *wants* to be a run-first offense anymore, for good reason. Rebuilding one every few years is just as dumb as putting all their money on Sanchez, but with far less of a potential payoff. They've had blocking TEs - Hartstock, Mulligan, whoever was before Hartstock - and all those guys sucked (and committed way too many penalties). RT is a league wide issue - Anthony Davis, Michael Oher, Jeremy Trueblood, Levi Brown, Clary...I could keep going...Pears, Newton, Franklin, Giacomini...probably more...all turnstiles on hopefuls and contenders this year.

This team does not get significantly better by landing another Ben Hartstock, a more proven backup RB, or a more proven RT (wherever that guy happen to be). That's not enough to cover what ails this team so why pretend it does and build a slower offense? It doesn't work. It didn't work during those magical, incomplete runs in '09 and '10, and it didn't work for the Ravens (who were trying to get away from it when they drafted Smith) or 49ers (who went and grabbed Jenkins and Moss this year) last year despite both of them doing strong jobs executing that offense.

That's not even to mention that Tebow isn't a bad 2nd RB and last year's backup OL are bigger, more athletic, and have had more playing time in the league than last year's group. Plus Mangold's back and healthy and there isn't a better individual OLman in the league except maybe Thomas.

Its relatively common in the NFL. They run all kinds of variations during camps and stuff and they need to know the contracts at a moments notice to put things in perspective. Most teams will have had a board up for 2013 during 2012 camp as well to drive home where they see the future and what impact cap can play on it.

Please tell me this is common practice and not just some backwards-ass accountant bullsh*t.

tom, as you can see by the chart in my pic, the depth chart doesn't seem to have any color dominating the starting positions. it's just a way to look at the FUTURE of the club, where you may be vulnerable to a big hit due to losing FA's or control over a player. it's not a good idea to have a bunch of players you don't have control over at any one position or even one side of the ball

but you knew that ;-)

Oh, and football teams should think this way. There's so much roster turnover in this league year to year that it would be stupid to not have your contracts visually categorized somehow.

I think Tannebaum is a disaster. But salary status in a cap system has to be a consideration. It may be the one thing our GM is actually good at, but it probably is either an NFL-wide practice or at least something every GM has documented someplace about every NFL roster.Surprised it's on a grease board rather than in some spreadsheet program.

You are going to have a tougher time pretending you know football posting crap like this. I hope you were under the influence when you posted this crap.

You are going to have a tougher time pretending you know football posting crap like this. I hope you were under the influence when you posted this crap.

Tougher time? We already know he doesn't know football. You must skip 90% of his posts if you don't know that by now ECURB.

Oh horsesh*t and you know it. The only reason they say they're a run first offense is because it's literally impossible for them to say otherwise. They can't just outright say they have no offense and saying they have a passing offense is just as big of a lie. Nobody *wants* to be a run-first offense anymore, for good reason. Rebuilding one every few years is just as dumb as putting all their money on Sanchez, but with far less of a potential payoff. They've had blocking TEs - Hartstock, Mulligan, whoever was before Hartstock - and all those guys sucked (and committed way too many penalties). RT is a league wide issue - Anthony Davis, Michael Oher, Jeremy Trueblood, Levi Brown, Clary...I could keep going...Pears, Newton, Franklin, Giacomini...probably more...all turnstiles on hopefuls and contenders this year.

This team does not get significantly better by landing another Ben Hartstock, a more proven backup RB, or a more proven RT (wherever that guy happen to be). That's not enough to cover what ails this team so why pretend it does and build a slower offense? It doesn't work. It didn't work during those magical, incomplete runs in '09 and '10, and it didn't work for the Ravens (who were trying to get away from it when they drafted Smith) or 49ers (who went and grabbed Jenkins and Moss this year) last year despite both of them doing strong jobs executing that offense.

That's not even to mention that Tebow isn't a bad 2nd RB and last year's backup OL are bigger, more athletic, and have had more playing time in the league than last year's group. Plus Mangold's back and healthy and there isn't a better individual OLman in the league except maybe Thomas.

To recap: the Jets offense is going to suck regardless, and right tackles are hard to find, and Tebow, so f%ck it.

Its relatively common in the NFL. They run all kinds of variations during camps and stuff and they need to know the contracts at a moments notice to put things in perspective. Most teams will have had a board up for 2013 during 2012 camp as well to drive home where they see the future and what impact cap can play on it.

Thanks. I saw that tweet used in context with a mention of Rex saying to "ask Tannenbaum" if Dixon was cut to save some money. I had never seen that before. Obviously, cap ramifications would play a role in crafting the final roster, but I didn't realize that those ramifications are factored in on a day-to-day basis like that. Interesting.

tom, as you can see by the chart in my pic, the depth chart doesn't seem to have any color dominating the starting positions. it's just a way to look at the FUTURE of the club, where you may be vulnerable to a big hit due to losing FA's or control over a player. it's not a good idea to have a bunch of players you don't have control over at any one position or even one side of the ball

but you knew that ;-)

Thanks, Larz. Good stuff.

Tougher time? We already know he doesn't know football. You must skip 90% of his posts if you don't know that by now ECURB.

If there's a god, Max will see to it that you two get your own podcast immediately. The pure aural magic that will be created between you guys would be, dare I say, stultifying.

If there's a god, Max will see to it that you two get your own podcast immediately. The pure aural magic that will be created between you guys would be, dare I say, stultifying.

Don't be too quick to judge, I think ECURB is crazy too, especially when it comes to Pennington and PSLs lol.

Archived