Davis: 69 snaps vs. Scott: 9 snaps

SenorGato

Has Demario Davis Taking Over at Linebacker? (Yes)

According to the Daily News, rookie linebacker Demario Davis saw more time in the game against the Patriots than he’s seen in any other game this season — at the expense of Bart Scott.

Rookie linebacker Demario Davis was in for a season-high 69 defensive snaps to help stop the Patriots’ up-tempo offense. Bart Scott, on the other hand, played a season-low nine snaps. Although Rex Ryan said that Scott’s lingering toe injury contributed to the reduced playing time, it’s curious why the Jets played Scott on seven special teams snaps.

Special team snaps are the smoking gun. If the Jets were really concerned about Scott’s health, I doubt they would be playing him on special teams, where injuries tend to happen more than on regular offensive/defensive play. The Jets are trying to make use of a guy they were stuck with keeping this year and whom they’ve drafted a replacement for at the spot. The Jets gave Scott the opportunities to play earlier in the season but while he was often in position to make plays, he was unable to execute for the defense missing a number of tackles. Moving forward I expect the Jets to limit Scott’s reps outside of other injuries at the spot but to use him in some packages.

http://thejetsblog.c....inebacker-yes/

It was always going to happen sooner or later, and LB being the RB of the defense sooner was more likely than later. Scott's role is complicated and his intelligence will keep him getting snaps, but Davis' speed and athleticism is far more important right now. I expect to see a ton of him in the second half of the season on the way to 8-8 or likely much worse.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that Davis was getting more snaps. I wouldn't read too much into it because it was the Pats. The Jets need the speed at LB and safety against the Pats more than anybody. When it's a team that is looking to run we will probably see more of Scott, though this season we are looking like we need more speed against everybody.

Agreed that the Pats are a special circumstance, but it says a lot about Davis that so much trust was shown in his rookie season.

I think its less about trusting Davis, than it is about seeing that Bart is done. time to evaluate the new talent, cause next year Bart isn't here. We need to know what Davis is and move along in the off season accordingly.

I noticed that Davis was getting more snaps. I wouldn't read too much into it because it was the Pats. The Jets need the speed at LB and safety against the Pats more than anybody. When it's a team that is looking to run we will probably see more of Scott, though this season we are looking like we need more speed against everybody.

Yeah, this is my thought as well. Regardless, it's nice to see that they're willing to make the change when it's needed and have enough faith in Davis to put him into that situation. The Jets haven't exactly getting a whole lot out of their mid round picks (which isn't helped by the rare occasion that they actually hold onto them), so it's nice to see them getting these kind of contributions out of him already. While the LB is obviously a position that will need to be greatly addressed come this offseason, it's reassuring to see that they have at least one guy who should have a future at the position.

Here is what Rex said today:

On if Scott might not play on Sunday…

I guess there’s a chance. How many games has he played in a row? He has played a lot and by the way that’s two words. That’s the only thing I learned in English class. (laughter) That injury is a tough one. The toe injury, that could have kept him out the last three weeks. It really could have, but he’s that kind of guy. He’s going to push all the way. Sometimes we have to look at it too. If it’s up to Bart, you know he’s going to play, but maybe we need to look at it and say, ‘You know what Bart.’ We’ll see how it goes (and) how it progresses. Right now, he hasn’t practiced, but Bart knows this system. He’s been in it for 10 years. I think he’s okay. Mangold, (it was) the same type of thing with Nick before, but we’ll see. The thing about the toe injury, my brother is getting killed because I said he literally was crying. He said he wasn’t crying, he was venting to me. He really wasn’t crying, but he was close.

On if Scott should have been held out so that he can heal…

Maybe, there’s always that possibility if he re-aggravated it, but I don’t believe that to be the case. He’s sore as heck right now. There’s no question about that.

On if Scott played less at New England because of his injured toe…

Yes, (there is) no question. They did a lot of stuff where they put him in space, a lot of empty (backfield sets) (and) those types of things with four or five receivers. Normally, I like to keep Bart out there, but if he can’t change directions in space as well as he normally can, we have to do what we think is best for the football team. If Bart is healthy, Bart will be out there. Bart was having a tremendous year. (He) was probably playing as well as (he has) at any time since he’s been here. I’m excited. We have to get him back. Obviously, you want to get him back as healthy as he possibly can (be). Is he going to be 100 percent this week? No, but hopefully when that bye comes, we’ll rest him that whole time and he’ll have two weeks to get ready for Seattle. Hopefully, that will really help him.

Here is what Bart Scott had to say:

On playing despite his toe injury…

It’s tough. It’s like losing a thumb on your hand. Everything you do comes off of your big toe. It’s just one of those things. I’ve always prided myself on being able to have a high tolerance to play through things. I just want to show my teammates that I’m willing to bite down and continue to play and do what I can to help us win.

On if it would be tough to break his 119 consecutive games played streak if he does not play on Sunday…

Yeah, it’s tough, because I pride myself on showing up for work and putting a day in, every day. Not only the work that you put in in a game, but also in practice. I pride myself on not really ever missing a practice and showing up and continuing to show my teammates that working hard and being there with them, how important our chemistry is.

On how his injury has affected his play…

With a toe (injury), it’s hard to push off. Basically what you’re talking about is turf toe, ligament damage and capsule strains. When you talk about running on your toe that’s not all the way in the socket and not loosened, swollen and wearing an extra-large shoe (it’s not easy). People have played though it before and it’s one of those things. In my family we’re not told to complain. We just do what we have to do.

Good sooner Scott is gone the better, Harris is not much better either this season, are ILB combo costs us a fortune and less Davis looks like a Jag line up. The way the League is going speed over muscle I say cut Scott, Pace, and restructer Harris at the minimum.

Beyond daring to get paid as an athlete in a sport, I still don't get why Calvin Pace can't buy a fan. He must have had a baby and dog kicking day that for some reason I missed. He's really not a bad player.

I could see cutting him after the season, but mostly I expect he'll be back at a reduced price.

Here is what Rex said today:

On if Scott might not play on Sunday…

I guess there’s a chance. How many games has he played in a row? He has played a lot and by the way that’s two words. That’s the only thing I learned in English class. (laughter) That injury is a tough one. The toe injury, that could have kept him out the last three weeks. It really could have, but he’s that kind of guy. He’s going to push all the way. Sometimes we have to look at it too. If it’s up to Bart, you know he’s going to play, but maybe we need to look at it and say, ‘You know what Bart.’ We’ll see how it goes (and) how it progresses. Right now, he hasn’t practiced, but Bart knows this system. He’s been in it for 10 years. I think he’s okay. Mangold, (it was) the same type of thing with Nick before, but we’ll see. The thing about the toe injury, my brother is getting killed because I said he literally was crying. He said he wasn’t crying, he was venting to me. He really wasn’t crying, but he was close.

On if Scott should have been held out so that he can heal…

Maybe, there’s always that possibility if he re-aggravated it, but I don’t believe that to be the case. He’s sore as heck right now. There’s no question about that.

On if Scott played less at New England because of his injured toe…

Yes, (there is) no question. They did a lot of stuff where they put him in space, a lot of empty (backfield sets) (and) those types of things with four or five receivers. Normally, I like to keep Bart out there, but if he can’t change directions in space as well as he normally can, we have to do what we think is best for the football team. If Bart is healthy, Bart will be out there. Bart was having a tremendous year. (He) was probably playing as well as (he has) at any time since he’s been here. I’m excited. We have to get him back. Obviously, you want to get him back as healthy as he possibly can (be). Is he going to be 100 percent this week? No, but hopefully when that bye comes, we’ll rest him that whole time and he’ll have two weeks to get ready for Seattle. Hopefully, that will really help him.

I was going to say...I thought Bart was hurt.

Either way, I'm sure the snaps will be situational. Davis in vs. passing team. Bart in vs. run heavy teams.

It was great to see that speed out there though....

Scott and Pace are goners next year. 100% truth. This however is probably going to be a sore spot for some when the Jets draft an OLB with the first pick, instead of a QB or offensive player.

the Jets have needed an OLB for the last 4 drafts. the Gholston pick took away all appetite for risk. I agree they need an OLB. i doubt they actually do it. look at Maybin for an example (1 tackle this year). Garrett Mac might be the next man up.

the Jets have needed an OLB for the last 4 drafts. the Gholston pick took away all appetite for risk. I agree they need an OLB. i doubt they actually do it. look at Maybin for an example (1 tackle this year). Garrett Mac might be the next man up.

yeah but then what about the other side. Thomas (1yr contract) is gone too. I agree McIntyre is probably starting on one side next year.

Agree Scott is a goner. But to be honest, he was actually playing pretty well this season until the injury. He seemed to have a resurgence and was definately playing faster than he did last season. The thing is, we seem to be getting less production out of the MLB position in general. I wonder if Pouha was a bigger part of our defense's success than we realized.

I said this during pre-season. As the year goes on, Davis will be phased in, and Scott will be phased out.

They clearly love the speed and ability Davis brings. He may turn out to be the best draft pick of the year.

But Scott can spell Davis, keep him fresh......

BD

Wait you called Davis eventually replacing Scott during the preseason? Kreskin!!!!

agreed what about TE

this is a million dollar question. if Keller finishes the year strong, I think they have to resign him. He's mark's binkie. If he fizzles out... they go in another direction. But TE really is the "swing state" of the Jets offseason, tough to predict. I know that traditionally Sparano loves guys like Fasano not guys like Keller. Whether Keller comes back or not, i predict they will get a #2 guy who blocks.

this is a million dollar question. if Keller finishes the year strong, I think they have to resign him. He's mark's binkie. If he fizzles out... they go in another direction. But TE really is the "swing state" of the Jets offseason, tough to predict. I know that traditionally Sparano loves guys like Fasano not guys like Keller. Whether Keller comes back or not, i predict they will get a #2 guy who blocks.

Optimally they bring Keller back and actually find a tight end via the draft that can block and catch....something we havent had since Mickey Shuler.

Scott and Pace are goners next year. 100% truth. This however is probably going to be a sore spot for some when the Jets draft an OLB with the first pick, instead of a QB or offensive player.

They'll be drafting an OLB, but if they're sticking with big OLBs then Pace is probably back at a reduced price.

Archived