GM Candidate Central - MERGED

Lizard King

why would you trade Cromartie and his 8 mil salary, to pay Revis 12 mil, without even knowing if Darrelle can put together a year like Cro just did?

Adrian Peterson is a genetic freak.. you can't just assume Revis is going to bounce back similarly.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Revis to the highest bidder. Did we learn absolutely nothing about his real value this year as Cromartie filled right in? You cannot pay a guy $16 mil a year that doesnt put points on the board!!!

Cromartie filled right in and we lost even more games than last year. I don't necessarily want to pay anybody all that money, but I'm not understanding the idea that this season proved anything on D other than that Cromartie is very good and we need more speed at LB.

why would you trade Cromartie and his 8 mil salary, to pay Revis 12 mil, without even knowing if Darrelle can put together a year like Cro just did?

Adrian Peterson is a genetic freak.. you can't just assume Revis is going to bounce back similarly.

Because Cromartie's salary is $9.5M of new money each of the next 2 seasons, not $8M. The 2 cheaper years of his 4-year deal are in the past. Trading him nets us a high draft pick plus $8.5M/year in cap room in '13 and $11M in cap room in '14.

Trading Revis this offseason doesn't net any cap room until 2014. Letting him play out the year and then losing him in FA means we lose the draft pick(s), lose Revis, and he still counts $9M on the 2014 cap after he voids the last 2014-2016 years.

And lastly, because Cromartie might have more trade value as the cheaper, 100% healthy player who's locked up for the next 2 seasons.

Been saying it for months, trade Cromartie while his value is high.

Cromartie's value isn't going to go anywhere but down, but that doesn't really mean it's high. He's a really good corner, but he's paid like one. Cromartie at 9.5 per is not worth a whole lot in terms of draft picks. I mean, it's not like we've got the option of trading him to the Jets.

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

I was told Jets hope to have GM hired by end of the week, but it could stretch on longer

Brian Costello@BrianCoz

There could be more candidates getting a second interview than the ones already reported and they may talk to new candidates as well.

So basically, "We (the media) don't know anything, so we're stating the obvious to retain your interest. The Jets will hire a person, eventually, who they have spoken with, or someone they haven't spoken with, sometime in the near-to-mid future."

Cromartie's value isn't going to go anywhere but down, but that doesn't really mean it's high. He's a really good corner, but he's paid like one. Cromartie at 9.5 per is not worth a whole lot in terms of draft picks. I mean, it's not like we've got the option of trading him to the Jets.

I'd trade Cro for a 3rd and 6th without blinking.

He had a good year. But he's still a loudmouth who doesnt want to tackle.

What Games are you watching? Cro has stuck his nose in there all year.

He was better this year but still shys away.

Look, there is a salary cap. Cromartie/Wilson did just fine. No reason why Revis/Wilson cant duplicate that. The money saved can go to helping the rest of the team....

So basically, "We (the media) don't know anything, so we're stating the obvious to retain your interest. The Jets will hire a person, eventually, who they have spoken with, or someone they haven't spoken with, sometime in the near-to-mid future."

They were much more specific. They will hire somebody before the end of the week, or maybe longer.

Because Cromartie's salary is $9.5M of new money each of the next 2 seasons, not $8M. The 2 cheaper years of his 4-year deal are in the past. Trading him nets us a high draft pick plus $8.5M/year in cap room in '13 and $11M in cap room in '14.

Trading Revis this offseason doesn't net any cap room until 2014. Letting him play out the year and then losing him in FA means we lose the draft pick(s), lose Revis, and he still counts $9M on the 2014 cap after he voids the last 2014-2016 years.

And lastly, because Cromartie might have more trade value as the cheaper, 100% healthy player who's locked up for the next 2 seasons.

This is assuming Revis plans to play out his current contract which is highly unlikely. This was always going to be the renegotiating year. You'd have to think if there's a trade partner willing to give a high pick(s), they're also going to be willing to lock him up in a long term contract. I don't follow the cap or contracts but wouldn't that mean we'd be off the hook?

He was better this year but still shys away.

Look, there is a salary cap. Cromartie/Wilson did just fine. No reason why Revis/Wilson cant duplicate that. The money saved can go to helping the rest of the team....

They didn't "do just fine." They did considerably worse than the prior 3 years. You need more than 2 corners now and you are asking to invest more in the position to replace a known good player or spend your Sundays watching Ellis Lankster. I don't mind trading some chips while we reload, but a 3rd and a 6th is beyond silly, especially since we will still be on the hook for his bonus and the cap is going up.

They didn't "do just fine." They did considerably worse than the prior 3 years. You need more than 2 corners now and you are asking to invest more in the position to replace a known good player or spend your Sundays watching Ellis Lankster. I don't mind trading some chips while we reload, but a 3rd and a 6th is beyond silly, especially since we will still be on the hook for his bonus and the cap is going up.

Pass D seemed to be the same to me. Cro was Revis-lite and Wilson was slightly worse than typical Cro.

This is assuming Revis plans to play out his current contract which is highly unlikely. This was always going to be the renegotiating year. You'd have to think if there's a trade partner willing to give a high pick(s), they're also going to be willing to lock him up in a long term contract. I don't follow the cap or contracts but wouldn't that mean we'd be off the hook?

Revis is not going to play out his current contract.

Revis was never going to play out his current contract.

None of us here ever expected him to play out his current contract.

Tannenbaum never expected him to play out his current contract.

The full contract as written was a blackmail tool to prevent him from holding out for three consecutive offseasons of 2011, 2012, and 2013 after pocketing $32M over the 2010-2011 seasons.

As far as what would happen if we trade him this offseason, the answer is that we would get roughly zero cap relief this year. Go to Jason's cap site (he lays it out perfectly), and look up his year by year prorated bonus amount. That is the amount we have already paid him but has not yet come off any prior years' salary caps.

• The prorated amounts assume that a player will play out the full contract. If the player is cut or traded or (in Revis' case) if the player voids the contract, then the rest of the money scheduled to come off the cap in the future then accelerates to the present season. The rationale is that you can't prorate signing bonus money for a player who isn't on your team anymore.

• The only exception to this is players cut after June 1 (or cut prior to June 1 but designated as a "June 1st cut"), where this year's prorated amount is the same as if he was on the team and the balance accelerates the the following season instead. At least this is my understanding and the way it used to be. (I invite Jason or anyone else to correct any of this stuff if I have it wrong).

So for Revis you have prorated amounts of:

• 2013: $3M
  • 2014: $3M
  • 2015: $3M
  • 2016: $3M

If he plays out his contract, then easy peazy. The above amounts are his cap charge, in addition to his base salary, plus any other 1-year bonuses that count fully in that year (like a roster bonus or a workout bonus).

If he plays out 2013 and voids the rest of his contract, then we don't owe him anymore new money. No base salary and no new bonus money will be paid to him therefore no new money will need to come off the cap. However, the $3M prorated amounts scheduled to come off the 2014 and 2015 an 2016 still need to, and they all accelerate to that first season he's off the team (2014). $3M + $3M + $3M = $9M. If Revis voids his deal after 2013, then he has a $9M cap charge in 2014 and nothing thereafter.

If we trade Revis before the 2013 season (and before any new bonus monies would have been due, if any), then all $12M accelerates to 2013 and nothing thereafter. Revis was going to count $9M if he played here in 2013. If we trade or cut him, he'll count $12M. BUT he'll be off the cap forever for 2014 and beyond. If we trade him after June 1st, then he'll count $3M in 2013 and $9M in 2014 for the same reasons outlined above.

If we cut him before the 2013 (theoretically, though in reality it would never happen) it's the same as trading him because he's already received all of the guaranteed portion of his contract.

Hope this helps.

Pass D seemed to be the same to me. Cro was Revis-lite and Wilson was slightly worse than typical Cro.

Ok now sub out Landry, and Bell for Leohnard, Smith, and Pool, and tell me this pass D would have looked the same? Yea I didn't think so.

Cromartie is coming off an ALL PRO year, at ONLY 9.5 mill per for the next 2 years! Late 1st, early 2nd this year, or a 1st in 2014 is his trade value RIGHT NOW, after next season thou more like the 3rd, or 4th round pick, you either trade Cro now, or let him play out his contract, there really is no other choices.

Cromartie is coming off an ALL PRO year, at ONLY 9.5 mill per for the next 2 years! Late 1st, early 2nd this year, or a 1st in 2014 is his trade value RIGHT NOW, after next season thou more like the 3rd, or 4th round pick, you either trade Cro now, or let him play out his contract, there really is no other choices.

No way he gets us back a 1st rd pick. Mayyyybe a 2.

Ok now sub out Landry, and Bell for Leohnard, Smith, and Pool, and tell me this pass D would have looked the same? Yea I didn't think so.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldnt. Impossible to say.

BTW, geting rid of Cro's money by next year might allow the Jets to keep Landry.

@AdamSchefter: Keep hearing former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist was particularly impressive last Thursday when interviewing for Jets GM job. Sleeper candidate.

I'd be happy with this.

Edit: Not to mention, you can't go wrong with Sundquist and Lundquist in the same city. Just saying.

Carl Mathew Theodore "Ted" Sundquist II (born May 1, 1962) is an American football player, manager and commentator. He spent sixteen years working in the National Football League for the Denver Broncos franchise. Sundquist was hired in 1992 as the Player Personnel Assistant, and two years later promoted to Director of College Scouting. In 2001, Pat Bowlen promoted Sundquist to General Manager.

Contents [hide]

Sundquist was born in Houston, Texas and attended Spring Woods High School in Houston, Texas, where he played football, and was a teammate of future Major League Baseball pitcher Roger Clemens.

College football

Sundquist graduated in 1984 from of the United States Air Force Academy, located in Colorado Springs, Colorado where he played fullback for the Falcon football team. He was team captain in 1983. The Falcons had bowl victories over Vanderbilt (1982 Hall of Fame Bowl) & Mississippi (1983 Independence Bowl) while Sundquist was on the team. Sundquist returned to Air Force as an assistant coach in 1989, and named head coach of the United States Air Force Academy Prep School from 1990 to 1992.

Bobsled

During his posting in Berlin, Sundquist trained for and became a member of the 1984-1988 U.S. National Bobsled Team. Sundquist competed in the 1988 Olympic trials, but they were cut short due to a shoulder injury.[1]

NFL executive

Denver Broncos

Sundquist joined the Broncos in 1993 as a scout as Player Personnel Assistant (1992-1994), Director of Scouting from 1995-2001 and then promoted to General Manager.

At the age of 33 Sundquist served as College Scouting Director and was in that role during the Broncos' back-to-back Super Bowl wins in 1997 and 1998. He supervised pro and college scouting, and was responsible for salary cap and contract analysis. Sundquist was promoted to GM in 2002 by owner Pat Bowlen after being pursued by both the Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons organizations. He was also a finalist for the President position with the Seattle Seahawks in 2004. He started at GM with five consecutive winning seasons, a franchise record. Sundquist left the Broncos following a 7-9 record in 2007 Denver Broncos season.[1]

Recruited athletes

During his tenure, Sundquist helped Denver land players such as John Lynch, Daniel Graham, Al Wilson, John Mobley, Brandon Marshall, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis (WAS), Reggie Hayward (JAX), Trevor Pryce (BAL), Brian Griese (TB), Deltha O'Neal (NE), and Nick Harris (DET). Sundquist was known[by whom?] for being one of the more active GMs in player acquisition through drafting, signing free agents and trades.

Under Sundquist, the Broncos became one of the league's most active traders. His most notable move came just before the 2004 season, when he dealt star running back Clinton Portis to the Washington Redskins in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey, another to obtain Dre Bly from the Detroit Lions, and a No. 2 draft pick that turned out to be Tatum Bell. He also engineered a 2006 draft-day deal with St. Louis allowing Denver to move from the No. 29 overall pick to No. 11, where they selected Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler. As a result, Sundquist's GM term was the start of a franchise-record five consecutive winning seasons. [1]

Post-Broncos career

In the 2008-2009 football season, Sundquist worked as an expert analyst and editorial commentator with Profootballtalk.com.[2] Also, in early 2009, Sundquist was mentioned in several general manager searches across the National Football League, and it was reported that he was interested in interviewing with Cleveland Cleveland Browns for their open General Manager position.[3]

Sundquist's had some really bad drafts. I'm not sure he's any better than Angelo.

Agreed. But any candidate who has been a GM in the league for a number of years and is no longer employed by that team will have at least one or two bad drafts. At this point, unless we hire a first-timer, we'll be able to say this about all of them.

Agreed. But any candidate who has been a GM in the league for a number of years and is no longer employed by that team will have at least one or two bad drafts. At this point, unless we hire a first-timer, we'll be able to say this about all of them.

It'd be closer to the truth to say that Angelo and Sundquist had one or two good drafts.

Archived