GM Candidate Central - MERGED

Lizard King

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does everyone think trading the team's best player is such a hot idea? because he's a cornerback? it's one thing to burn the field but you don't have to salt the earth.

Because the Jets have a cap mess on their hands, and Revis' next round of contract negotiations -due to start very shortly- are certain to make those cap issues worse. Maybe impossible. Trading him frees up valuable cap space and also should bring in a high draft pick or two. All in all, between the cap room and picks, the Jets should be able to replace Revis with four quality starting caliber players.

New GM will have to sit with Revis' team as soon as he gets the job, and evaluate where they stand in terms of contract demands, and that new GM should have the authority to trade him if he finds those demands to be unreasonable.

At the same time, the Jets should explore the Cromartie trade market, and see if they can find the room to extend Revis that way. But new GM needs to have options available to him to rebuild the roster.

Because the Jets have a cap mess on their hands, and Revis' next round of contract negotiations -due to start very shortly- are certain to make those cap issues worse. Maybe impossible.

good players cost money, great players cost alot of money. bad players are cheap.

That's always gonna be the case.

good players cost money, great players cost alot of money. bad players are cheap.

That's always gonna be the case.

Can't have 20% of the cap tied up in the CB position. Something has to give.

Can't have 20% of the cap tied up in the CB position. Something has to give.

you've said this before there's no way Revis is gonna occupy 24 mil in a 121 mil cap. That's not a real number. 10% maybe. and they will always backload these extensions. Paying Revis big money isn't the same as him ruining the 2014 cap.

you've said this before there's no way Revis is gonna occupy 24 mil in a 121 mil cap. That's not a real number. 10% maybe. and they will always backload these extensions. Paying Revis big money isn't the same as him ruining the 2014 cap.

Revis + Cro will hit $24 mil easy.

Revis + Cro will hit $24 mil easy.

^ I said that before, too. The CB position, bit, not just Revis.

And Revis' team knows the backloading trick, and wants nothing to do with it. They want their money upfront, and they get it.

^ I said that before, too. The CB position, bit, not just Revis.

And Revis' team knows the backloading trick, and wants nothing to do with it. They want their money upfront, and they get it.

so what. teams can give a guy a huge bonus and that money hits the cap years from now. bonus is very cap friendly it's salary that isn't. if it's a choice between Revis or Cro, keep Revis it's no contest.

so what. teams can give a guy a huge bonus and that money hits the cap years from now. bonus is very cap friendly it's salary that isn't. if it's a choice between Revis or Cro, keep Revis it's no contest.

No. A huge bonus hits this years' cap, and every year going forward. That trick only works with extremely low salaries in the first couple years of a deal, but Revis doesn't play that game. He wants to be the highest paid CB on a year by year basis.

Jets interview Packers' Russ Ball for vacant general manager job

BY MANISH MEHTA

Add another name to the Jets’ ever-growing list of general manager candidates.

The Jets recently interviewed Packers vice president of football administration/player finance Russ Ball, according to ProFootballTalk.com. The Jets had expressed interest in Packers director of operations John Dorsey, but he appears destined to join Andy Reid in Kansas City.

The Jets have interviewed at least nine candidates as they try to find a replacement for Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired the day after the end of the regular season.

Ball worked for the Saints, Redskins, Vikings and Chiefs before joining Green Bay in 2008.

The Jets expanded their search this week by interviewing former Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo, Dolphins assistant G.M. Brian Gaine, Steelers’ executive Omar Khan and Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik.

Woody Johnson had previously interviewed 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, Falcons director of player personnel David Campbell (who took the Jaguars GM job), the Giants’ Marc Ross and on-house candidate Scott Cohen. The Jets are also believed to have interest in Montreal Alouettes G.M Jim Popp of the CFL and Chargers director of player personnel Jimmy Raye

Or, Dave Caldwell. Manish the hack.

Good note from @SI_PeterKing: #Jets were preparing contract offer to GM candidate Dave Caldwell that included $1 million housing allowance.

If Caldwell's second move as GM is to ask for permission to interview Schotty, I Am glad he did not end up with the JETS!

These might be hot candidates for the GM job but does not mean all of them are going to be good at it,

Scott Salmon Jan 14, 10:16a

Yesterday, there were reports that the New York Jets were getting desperate and couldn't give away the job for free. Today, former NFL Pro Scouting Director and current agent Mike McCartney had this to say:

cdbbc494d3071f7a38acfa8ec8dcd679_normal.jpeg
Mike McCartney @
MikeMcCartney7

I've spoken with too many personnel guys who would relish the
#
Jets
GM job. I'm not buying recent reports nobody wants it.

14 Jan 13

Here's the point. There are two people in this world that truly know what's going on. Their names are Woody Johnson and Jed Hughes. Everything else is speculation, at best. At worst, it's intentional misinformation. Many of these reporters that are leaking information may have spoken to one candidate, and they're using that information to generalize and speak for every candidate. We're still going to keep publishing rumors, and it's mostly so we can look back later to see who actually knew what they were talking about, and who was talking out of their rear end. None of the information we provide is conclusive until Woody Johnson himself introduces the new General Manager at a press conference.

Here's the point. There are two people in this world that truly know what's going on. Their names are Woody Johnson and Jed Hughes. Everything else is speculation, at best. At worst, it's intentional misinformation. Many of these reporters that are leaking information may have spoken to one candidate, and they're using that information to generalize and speak for every candidate. We're still going to keep publishing rumors, and it's mostly so we can look back later to see who actually knew what they were talking about, and who was talking out of their rear end. None of the information we provide is conclusive until Woody Johnson himself introduces the new General Manager at a press conference.

Woody and Rex have gone quiet for the most part. The media is not used to this and have resorted to embellishing stories to keep people interested. Look at all the misinformation that has already been put out there. There have been at least 4 candidates that we were 'interested' in according the media who came for interviews who turned out to never have met with the Jets, at all. No one, save those two, know what is going.

Scott Salmon Jan 14, 10:16a

Yesterday, there were reports that the New York Jets were getting desperate and couldn't give away the job for free. Today, former NFL Pro Scouting Director and current agent Mike McCartney had this to say:

cdbbc494d3071f7a38acfa8ec8dcd679_normal.jpeg
Mike McCartney @
MikeMcCartney7

I've spoken with too many personnel guys who would relish the
#
Jets
GM job. I'm not buying recent reports nobody wants it.

14 Jan 13

I'm more apt to believe this. There's just no way anyone can convince me that these potential Gm candidates would balk at working for a billion dollar franchise, because it's not the most ideal condition. All jobs come with inherent risks, but the rewards, especially here, far outweigh them. This to me is akin to saying that my friends that work at hedge-funds wouldn't take the promotion to financial analyst, because of the stress, work-demand and volatility of their management. Sorry, but any time you can potentially increase your pay by tenfold, while simultaneously reaching the pinnacle of your position, you don't turn it up to fester in mediocrity just waiting for the "perfect job scenario" to come by.

Mike McCartney is a lying POS probably got paid off by Woody and Rex to make it seem like Football Men would ever hold their company. Football Men have Honor, Integrity, Steel jaws and eyes...Never would they profess any desire to want to work with meat headed know nothings who would force their worthless input onto His pure, untainted mind.

Best Candidate would walk in, give them one knowing Football Glare, and walk right out. No way he's playing by their rules bucco!

You're right. The real cap number is $18-20M just for Revis for at least a couple of years.

If he gets extended, then 2014-2015-2016 he has $3M/year in cap charges from old bonuses we've already paid him. Then he probably still wants $15-16M on a new contract. Then it's common to not have equal salaries in every year of a new deal, meaning one year his salary (and amortized new signing bonus) might be only $12M plus the $3M I just mentioned. In that case, the other 2 years out of those first 3 would have to pick up the slack to average out to $15-16M. So you should not at all be surprised to see Revis count multiple years in the $18-20M range.

They're both great, but Revis + Cromartie is not sustainable long-term and still field a potential winner. Not unless we get lucky to immediately find a very good to great QB from out of thin air and also hit the jackpot on 3-4 other draft picks who start right away from 2013-2014's drafts.

You're right. The real cap number is $18-20M just for Revis for at least a couple of years.

If he gets extended, then 2014-2015-2016 he has $3M/year in cap charges from old bonuses we've already paid him. Then he probably still wants $15-16M on a new contract. Then it's common to not have equal salaries in every year of a new deal, meaning one year his salary (and amortized new signing bonus) might be only $12M plus the $3M I just mentioned. In that case, the other 2 years out of those first 3 would have to pick up the slack to average out to $15-16M. So you should not at all be surprised to see Revis count multiple years in the $18-20M range.

They're both great, but Revis + Cromartie is not sustainable long-term and still field a potential winner. Not unless we get lucky to immediately find a very good to great QB from out of thin air and also hit the jackpot on 3-4 other draft picks who start right away from 2013-2014's drafts.

My balls are starting to ache. I am usually upbeat, but even I am getting ball-ache over this shiit.

Trade Revis to the highest bidder. Did we learn absolutely nothing about his real value this year as Cromartie filled right in? You cannot pay a guy $16 mil a year that doesnt put points on the board!!!

fine dump Cro and keep Revis. Cro is a 2x Pro Bowler, Revis is a 3x All-Pro. No brainer.

Signing even a 3x all-pro CB isn't a no-brainer when he'll have bigger cap charges than all but 1 or 2 QBs. Particularly when he's not even doing light running yet so far as I know.

Best way this could work out is I think to retain him if he's willing to take $12M/year while he's hurt (or before anyone knows what full speed will be for him long-term). It's a risk, but I think he'll be great again. Of course any deal with him would again need some creative language in there to prevent him holding out (once he's healed and an all-pro again).

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to keep him for the entirety of his playing prime. But it's tough for a rebuilding team with no QB and only 9 or 10 starters under contract to commit to shelling out $15-20M/year in cap charges on a corner.

Signing even a 3x all-pro CB isn't a no-brainer when he'll have bigger cap charges than all but 1 or 2 QBs. Particularly when he's not even doing light running yet so far as I know.

Best way this could work out is I think to retain him if he's willing to take $12M/year while he's hurt (or before anyone knows what full speed will be for him long-term). It's a risk, but I think he'll be great again. Of course any deal with him would again need some creative language in there to prevent him holding out (once he's healed and an all-pro again).

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to keep him for the entirety of his playing prime. But it's tough for a rebuilding team with no QB and only 9 or 10 starters under contract to commit to shelling out $15-20M/year in cap charges on a corner.

$12 is even pushing it. Cro did the job at 8. Revis did it more consistently with one breakout year so maybe give him 10. Even that makes me uncomfortable. He doesnt like it? Enjoy Minnesota buddy. We do not need your services quite as much as youd like to believe.

$12 is even pushing it. Cro did the job at 8. Revis did it more consistently with one breakout year so maybe give him 10. Even that makes me uncomfortable. He doesnt like it? Enjoy Minnesota buddy. We do not need your services quite as much as youd like to believe.

It's futile to even talk about until we know if he comes back 100% from this knee injury. He may just be an average corner after this, and the point is moot.

Trade Revis to the highest bidder. Did we learn absolutely nothing about his real value this year as Cromartie filled right in? You cannot pay a guy $16 mil a year that doesnt put points on the board!!!

The rationale is that he keeps points off the board. Unless we have a zero at QB, it's just about the same thing. Losing 9-0 or 17-13 isn't better than losing 30-9 or 28-9.

He's a unique player. Much more so than Cromartie is.

Truth is Cromartie may be the one to trade as his value may be higher. He's coming off a killer season, he's locked up for 2 more years (Revis only for 1) at $9.5M per, no #1 corners at his level will be available on the FA market, and Cro doesn't have the Revis holdout history.

Brent Grimes will be 30 at the start of the 2013 season and is coming off a busted knee. He's probably the best FA corner this year (assuming Atlanta can't reach a deal with him).

I don't know what his full value is, since after these last 2 years of Cro's deal he'll be a 31 year old FA. Not "old" exactly, but not on the right side of 30 either. A team with cap room who gets bounced out of the playoffs due to crappy secondary play might be willing to part with a nice pick or more to add a stud CB while they're still SB contenders.

It's futile to even talk about until we know if he comes back 100% from this knee injury. He may just be an average corner after this, and the point is moot.

And if he's not then we have no rights to him and he'll hit free agency and we get nothing in return. If he can't be locked up this offseason, which means before he's fully healed, then I think we have to move him. Unless we just want to outbid everyone after the '13 season no matter what the pricetag is.

What made SD losing Brees wasn't just that they lost Brees. It was also that they got absolutely nothing in return for him.

The rationale is that he keeps points off the board. Unless we have a zero at QB, it's just about the same thing. Losing 9-0 or 17-13 isn't better than losing 30-9 or 28-9.

See, someone gets it. He keeps points off the board despite all the rules that work against doing such a thing.

Archived