GM Candidate Central - MERGED

Lizard King

If they didn't do that to Bidwell or the Brown's they won't here.

I'm not imagining it could actually get Lucky Sperm Boy out of the picture, but for literally 90 seconds of a lot of peoples time, it could create some major awareness that Johnson has been exposed as the fool he is.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. I still think Rex allows the GM to get a free mulligan in a sure mulligan-type season. Why soil one's own hand-picked HC with the 2013 Jets roster? Especially if the GM feels the best long-term move for the team is to trade Revis.

The owner and QB are the top 2 reasons. Rex is probably a distant 3rd.

Rex is the symptom of a larger organizational illness. Regardless of whether he deserves it or not, they should let the new GM fire him if he so chooses. Immediately.

If New GM doesn't fire him immediately does that mean New GM is dumb or Woody is forcing his hand? What is that symptom of?

Sounds like you're quaint little suggestion is more like a order that New GM needs to follow to appease your hunger. So human of a robot...

If New GM doesn't fire him immediately does that mean New GM is dumb or Woody is forcing his hand? What is that symptom of?

Sounds like you're quaint little suggestion is more like a order that New GM needs to follow to appease your hunger. So human of a robot...

It means New GM needs to have enough autonomy to shape the team as he sees fit, because no one else in the building is capable of steering the ship.

One wonders if the problem with Gamble (or some other) as a candidate was him saying something like, "I'll take the job with Rex as HC, but I'm firing him the next time he's the subject of a humiliating headline. Also Mark Sanchez is going to be the backup QB this year at best and then I'm cutting him after the season (when I'm also dumping Santonio Holmes and trading Revis for picks and maybe even Cromartie also. I can absolutely rebuild this franchise but unless we get lucky with rookies and cheaper new arrivals, we will suck in 2013 and there may very well be a game or two blacked out." In this regard, perhaps he interviewed badly.

Don't tell us the truth, son, tell us what we want to hear!

No one's main worry is who's responsible for the plague, they're main concern is just getting rid of it. Personnel/QB is #1 and cap-hell is #2.

Well, they just gave the guy who brought the plague in on a silver platter more power, and a vote of confidence.

Does not look like they have any intent on getting rid of it, more like keep it around and stop any vaccines from coming in.

It means New GM needs to have enough autonomy to shape the team as he sees fit, because no one else in the building is capable of steering the ship.

Are you *really* worried about the amount of atunomy Latest Savior will have, or are you just playing to the stories?

It’s now been two weeks since the New York Jets parted ways with general manager Mike Tannenbaum but the team remains an organization without direction.

According to Fox Sports reporter Jay Glazer the Jets “can’t give the (GM) position away,” which might explain why so many GM prospects have taken jobs with other organizations or flat out refused to interview.

Of the seven teams who let their GMs go only the Cleveland Browns have yet to fill their vacancy besides the Jets.  The Browns are pursuing two GM candidates which have been linked to the Jets, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, once considered a lock for the position, and Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik.  It will be interesting to see if either of them goes to the Browns over the Jets.

Opportunities at such a high level position as GM often come from organizations in need of guidance and who have some problems, as the Jets do, but tight finances or roster deficiencies would not normally drive candidates away.  In fact if the team is in some distress the new GM knows they’ll likely be given a chance to put them back on course without being held responsible if results are not immediate.

So why are so many turning away from the Jets?  Maybe looking at what transpired with Atlanta Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell might give some insight into why the Jets remain without a GM.  Caldwell had a second interview for the Jets GM job but ended up taking the same position with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Soon after his hiring Caldwell fired then head coach Mike Mularkey and stunned many saying the Jaguars would not in any way be interested in current Jets quarterback Tim Tebow, even though Jaguars owner Shahid Khan had shown interest in Tebow.

It was widely believed that Jacksonville would pursue Tebow either via trade or if released but Caldwell’s statements basically crushed that notion.  It was reported that Caldwell would not have taken the Jaguars GM position if Khan insisted on pursuing Tebow.

Maybe NY Jets owner Woody Johnson can learn something from Khan as he allowed football decisions to be made by his new general manager, not himself.  Khan has even stated he will let Caldwell choose the new head coach.

Just wonder if the reason why so many are scared off from the Jets GM job has anything to do with cap/roster issues or having to inherit head coach Rex Ryan and an owner who likes to make his own football decisions?

One thing Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder and the late Al Davis has taught all football fans, owners do not make very good football personnel decisions.  Hopefully Woody Johnson will take one out of Khan’s book and allow a new GM the autonomy to build a winner, otherwise what are you hiring them for?

What's really happening with Gamble? I've heard conflicting reports that he doesn't want the job, and then I've heard reports that Woody didn't want him. What will happen is that the Jets will land a rookie GM eager for the head front office spot next to the owner. No experienced GM in his right mind would want to come to the Jets. The team's broke, the owner is completely inept, the starting QB can't scramble, fails to make the correct coverage reads, can't handle pressure, and oh, is so inaccurate that if he tried to throw a 15 yard pass off of a pier, he'd probably miss the ocean. And this is all with a coach who, I admit, a good defensive guy, but doesn't have control of the locker room and makes an ass out of himself virtually every time he's in front of a camera. This is not at all to mention that the guy you made as the offensive captain has basically been stealing money for the past three seasons.

Quite frankly, I agree, hire Gamble if he still wants the job. Hell, I'd even be happy with Terry Bradway being rehired.

Really 2013 is a rebuild, Rex and Woody will be selling Playoffs. We need to let him know we arnt buying it. The main problem is the owner turned into Dan Snyder. The sad thing is Dan Snyder now "gets it" and Woody don't.

DS just mortgaged the farm for a QB who, while exciting, may or may not be a perennial injury risk with a twice-torn ACL. We're not there yet.

Are you *really* worried about the amount of atunomy Latest Savior will have, or are you just playing to the stories?

Yes, because the negative stories, analysis and repeated first-hand accounts of Jets disfunction have been completely inconsistent with reality, but SenorGato has been right this whole time.

Yes, because the negative stories, analysis and repeated first-hand accounts of Jets disfunction have been completely inconsistent with reality, but SenorGato has been right this whole time.

"Analysis"

What are the first hand accounts? Tannenbaum was forced to take coach advice on draft day by Woody?

What's really happening with Gamble? I've heard conflicting reports that he doesn't want the job, and then I've heard reports that Woody didn't want him. What will happen is that the Jets will land a rookie GM eager for the head front office spot next to the owner. No experienced GM in his right mind would want to come to the Jets. The team's broke, the owner is completely inept, the starting QB can't scramble, fails to make the correct coverage reads, can't handle pressure, and oh, is so inaccurate that if he tried to throw a 15 yard pass off of a pier, he'd probably miss the ocean. And this is all with a coach who, I admit, a good defensive guy, but doesn't have control of the locker room and makes an ass out of himself virtually every time he's in front of a camera. This is not at all to mention that the guy you made as the offensive captain has basically been stealing money for the past three seasons.

Quite frankly, I agree, hire Gamble if he still wants the job. Hell, I'd even be happy with Terry Bradway being rehired.

LOL. People make too much of this stuff. The Browns, Jaguars, Cardinals, I-don't-even-know-who-else-but-anyone-seeking-a-GM are not any better off than us. They're worse, in fact.

The truth is that it is not often you get to walk in with a fully developed QB and a team in perfect cap situation.

Woody should just make it official and name Rex the interim GM for 2013. But he's not allowed to sign any players with more than $25,000 guaranteed so our 2014 GM isn't saddled with more garbage.

Yup, I agree.

Just hire some cap/contract guy and move on.

It's clear Rex is running the whole show anyway.

The reason I don't think Woody will do this is, he will want another scapegoat if the Jets suck again this year, so that Woody can keep Rex longer.

For some reason, Woody has a crush on Rex the way Rex does on Sanchez.

I would not be surprised to see Woody has a tat of Rex naked sleeping with Woody's wife.

If I was a GM candidate being interviewed, I'd want to know the entire story behind Tebow coming to the Jets. Who wanted that move, and who was against it. The answers there probably tell the story of how the franchise is run.

I'd want to know if the owner was willing to eat Sanchez' $8.25M guarantee.

I'd want to know how they feel about trading Revis.

I could live with Rex for a year as long as I could start molding the roster the way I see fit. But if the empowered coach/owner insist on keeping Sanchez and Revis, and probably Cro, too, etc.... This job becomes extremely unattractive.

If I was a GM candidate being interviewed, I'd want to know the entire story behind Tebow coming to the Jets. Who wanted that move, and who was against it. The answers there probably tell the story of how the franchise is run.

I'd want to know if the owner was willing to eat Sanchez' $8.25M guarantee.

I'd want to know how they feel about trading Revis.

I could live with Rex for a year as long as I could start molding the roster the way I see fit. But if the empowered coach/owner insist on keeping Sanchez and Revis, and probably Cro, too, etc.... This job becomes extremely unattractive.

Exactly. There's no point being the GM if you are told even in Year 2 you will have no real say in how things are run.

It's gonna be Scott Cohen doing the paperwork for Wrecks Ryan. Expect 5-7 draft picks on DL and DB guys.

Archived