Schefter: Jets Bringing back Calvin Pace

CrazyCarl40

Yeah, definitely like this.  He's been a solid starter for the Jets for years now and helps keep a little more familiarity and experience within the group.  He's certainly not a long term solution and this should do nothing to impact how the Jets address the position in the draft, but it's also a very good insurance policy for any draft pick and/or Barnes.  Best case scenario they don't need him to start, but if they do, they could certainly do a lot worse (and before today, would have).

Good signing.  He was the Jared Jeffries of the Jets; player you'd love to have, but absolutely hate because of his contract.  I've got a feeling people will like the signing more when he's playing for the vet min. 

Additionally, it's a solid signing in that he still holds up quite well against the run and this will allow us to transition our rookie OLB in slowly on passing downs, should be draft one.  (If we fail to land one of the elite guys with our 9th, rumor has it we're extremely high on Cornelius Washington out of Georgia, who is a very intriguing prospect.  Played out of position last year for the bulldogs and could wind up being a steal if we get land him outside the first)

we don't know if the Jets will get a starting OLB in this draft, even if the draft him at 9. a player like Mingo might only be good on 3rd down until year 4. that's kinda how these things go with the transition from college de to pro olb. 

Good signing.  He was the Jared Jeffries of the Jets; player you'd love to have, but absolutely hate because of his contract.  I've got a feeling people will like the signing more when he's playing for the vet min. 

Additionally, it's a solid signing in that he still holds up quite well against the run and this will allow us to transition our rookie OLB in slowly on passing downs, should be draft one.  (If we fail to land one of the elite guys with our 9th, rumor has it we're extremely high on Cornelius Washington out of Georgia, who is a very intriguing prospect.  Played out of position last year for the bulldogs and could wind up being a steal if we get land him outside the first)

Washington's interesting. He looks so slow sometimes. Maybe okay if you let him just get after the passer, but frequently didn't play to those tools. Obviously won't get drafted as high, but almost reminded me a bit of Gholston as a Jet in that he just played much slower than you expected most of the time when I watched him. That said, per Tony Pauline Georgia coaches are telling NFL guys he had to play a lot more assignment football so maybe that explains some of it.

Washington's interesting. He looks so slow sometimes. Maybe okay if you let him just get after the passer, but frequently didn't play to those tools. Obviously won't get drafted as high, but almost reminded me a bit of Gholston as a Jet in that he just played much slower than you expected most of the time when I watched him. That said, per Tony Pauline Georgia coaches are telling NFL guys he had to play a lot more assignment football so maybe that explains some of it.

From what I've gathered, after he had the breakout end to the season a year ago (after he played well against my LSU in the SEC championship game) they were playing him out of position a lot as a 34 end, instead of where he probably would have been better off in a role similar to Jones.  However, since their team was so stack at the position, I guess I understand it was a decent problem to have. 

I remember he was drawing a lot of hype coming into the season since he ended the year on such a high note when he was promoted to start the last half dozen games or so: something like a half dozen and sacks and TFLs.  

Outside of the LSU game, I personally did not notice him much, as every time I watched Georgia, admittedly, I was watching Jones.

From what I've gathered, after he had the breakout end to the season a year ago (after he played well against my LSU in the SEC championship game) they were playing him out of position a lot as a 34 end, instead of where he probably would have been better off in a role similar to Jones.  However, since their team was so stack at the position, I guess I understand it was a decent problem to have. 

I remember he was drawing a lot of hype coming into the season since he ended the year on such a high note when he was promoted to start the last half dozen games or so: something like a half dozen and sacks and TFLs.  

Outside of the LSU game, I personally did not notice him much, as every time I watched Georgia, admittedly, I was watching Jones.

The workout numbers on Washington are excellent. He'd be a steal at 74.

I thought this would be a surprise if they didn't do this.     So far I'm not excited or disappointed this offseason.  

It seems like Idzik is building a cheap team for one season and after that, who knows.    Maybe its all set to fire Rex after the year, I don't know.

And if they do trade Revis after the draft, you start to wonder what the real plan is and if there is a plan other than being cheap and making Woody more money.

I don't buy the "can't wait till next years draft" theory considering we don't even know how good this new FO is at drafting players this year.  

This year seems like a throw away with all these moves.  Maybe they get lucky and one or two of these injury prone backups has a breakout year, but will that translate to a breakout career, a one year wonder, or a guy who leaves like Landry did for more money elsewhere?   

The Draft seems where this new FO regime will matter.  If they find a few good starters from this draft, but go 4-12 I'll have hope that next year they'll find more good players.   If they wind up 4-12 and all they wind up with are practice squad or backups, I'd be worried.  

He hit Joe Frazier so hard he knocked out Sonny Liston?  Down goes Liston! Down goes Liston?

Yeah, I didn't have a pick of The Big Bear sprawled out on the canvas so I had to take artistic license.   Smokin' Joe obviously did not raise any objections.

If we assume Barnes starts at one OLB slot, does signing Pace make the drafting of Mingo less likely?

It reduces our need there, and we do have other pressing needs as well. But, Pace is not a starting quality OLB. I don't think it tells you much, it just gives them the flexibility to go another route with the pick if they want to.

In your dreams maybe...

What does Mingo know about playing linebacker? nothing. What does Dion Jordan know about playing linebacker? very little. Neither of these guys are 1st/2nd down "starting" OLB at this point. In 2-3 years sure. Instantly Pace and Barnes are the best OLb on the roster with mcintyre as a special teamer/depth. drafting an olb at 9 doesn't really change that depth chart. on the other hand drafting Chance Warmack the guy is an instant starter.

Archived