Tarvaris Jackson released: Yay or Nay to signing him?

T0mShane

The positives: Signing him effectively reopens the possibility of dumping Sanchez, since Jackson could be the bridge starter or veteran backup for Geno. The Jets were interested in bringing him in before he signed in Buffalo.

The negatives: He's f%cking horrible.

If it hampers our ability to sign some WR's/TE's, then nay.

If it doesn't, then yay - because IF Geno has to sit and learn this year, then Tavaris should be signed because he's somewhat more competent than Sanchez. I'd rather see Sanchez relegated to the bench all year, whatever it takes.

The positives: Signing him effectively reopens the possibility of dumping Sanchez, since Jackson could be the bridge starter or veteran backup for Geno. The Jets were interested in bringing him in before he signed in Buffalo.

On a Sanchez scale...exactly how f'ing horrible is he?

It all depends on whether the Jets would seriously consider the idea of getting rid of Sanchez.  If so, then you send one of Simms or McElroy packing, bring in Jackson and let him and Sanchez fight it out for one roster spot, regardless of whether that turns out to be as the starter or backup to Smith.  Absolutely no reason for them to both be on this roster after camp is over.  If Sanchez is locked into a roster spot already, it's simply a waste of everyone's time to bother with any other QBs.

Sorry, but no.

The Jets are going to hand the starting job to Geno, eventually. It will happen this season. The transition from Sanchez to will be a very smooth one. Even if Smith sucks, he'll be given the benefit of the doubt because of who's behind him, and Sanchez will be released after the season whether they think Geno is the answer or not. It's highly unlikely that Tavaris is the answer. The Jets can re-enter the QB next season when they have a better idea about Smith. If they still like Tavaris, he'll probably be available, again or still.

like Sanchez.

Sanchez is signed thru 2016.   He'll be extended in 2015, and Smith will be released

but TJack is even worse.....

Actually, as much as Jackson sucks, he still beats out Sanchez when comparing their career comp % (by over 4%), YPA, TD-INT ratio, and QBR (by 6 pts).  So yeah, outside of having the benefit of being handed the starting job for a far more talented team (and yet still having worse stats), I'm not sure what would lead anyone to the conclusion that Sanchez doesn't suck even worse than Jackson.

Actually, as much as Jackson sucks, he still beats out Sanchez when comparing their career comp % (by over 4%), YPA, TD-INT ratio, and QBR (by 6 pts).  So yeah, outside of having the benefit of being handed the starting job for a far more talented team (and yet still having worse stats), I'm not sure what would lead anyone to the conclusion that Sanchez doesn't suck even worse than Jackson.

don't know much about TJack's stats...but I have seen him play numerous times and he is horrendous.

Based on Tebow's career completion percentage and Sanchez's last year, Tebow beat Mark out too. Tebow also turns the ball over less. I only bring this up to say that stats don't necessarily matter where it concerns sending Sanchez to the bench.

This doesn't need to become a Tebow debate. It just illustrates how bad Sanchez numbers are, and how little that is apparently being considered in terms of benching his pansy ass.

Based on Tebow's career completion percentage and Sanchez's last year, Tebow beat Mark out too. Tebow also turns the ball over less. I only bring this up to say that stats don't necessarily matter where it concerns sending Sanchez to the bench.

This doesn't need to become a Tebow debate. It just illustrates how bad Sanchez numbers are, and how little that is apparently being considered in terms of benching his pansy ass.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying any of that would lead the Jets to send Sanchez's sorry ass packing in favor of Jackson, as that might never be up for consideration for a variety of different reasons.  Rather I'm just not sure what would make any third party think that, as bad as Jackson may be, he's really any worse than Sanchez.  That's why I said earlier, the signing of Jackson should be based on the Jets' willingness to potentially cut Sanchez, because it makes absolutely no sense to either (1) keep Sanchez on this roster as the #3 QB if he loses out to Jackson (be it as the starter or backup), or (2) to bring Jackson in and be giving him reps if you're already predetermining that he's got no shot at anything but the #3 spot, which would pretty much be the case if they weren't willing to cut Sanchez or put him at #3.  That's of course all assuming the Jets wouldn't be moronic enough to potentially put Geno at #3 behind both of those losers.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying any of that would lead the Jets to send Sanchez's sorry ass packing in favor of Jackson, as that might never be up for consideration for a variety of different reasons.  Rather I'm just not sure what would make any third party think that, as bad as Jackson may be, he's really any worse than Sanchez.  That's why I said earlier, the signing of Jackson should be based on the Jets' willingness to potentially cut Sanchez, because it makes absolutely no sense to either (1) keep Sanchez on this roster as the #3 QB if he loses out to Jackson (be it as the starter or backup), or (2) to bring Jackson in and be giving him reps if you're already predetermining that he's got no shot at anything but the #3 spot, which would pretty much be the case if they weren't willing to cut Sanchez or put him at #3.  That's of course all assuming the Jets wouldn't be moronic enough to potentially put Geno at #3 behind both of those losers.

Yep. This all makes sense. 

Tav Jax has experience in WCO too right? He was up in Minny with Childress? I can't remember anything anymore... 

I think they will bring him in.  Someone in Seattle thought highly enough of him to trade for him before the Wilson revelation.  Idzik is from the Seattle group.  If Sanchez or Smith are nicked for any part of training camp, you end up having to give big minutes to guys that frankly aren't even league minimum QB's.  Jackson is probably better than Sanchez, so it opens the possibility of cutting the turd down the road.

guys. Sanchez is staying on the roster because the Jets owe him about a billion dollars. as most of us assume that the Jets will be awful - mediocre for 2013 anyway, we might as well go down in flames with our own poop.

then Idzik flushes Sanchez, and we begin anew with Smith, who will have spent a valuable half season-full season learning exactly what not to do! (or whichever QB we draft with our hopefully prime draft pick).

Archived