I'm pretty sure Rex will never develop a good quarterback because his defense is too good.

T0mShane

I was thinking of this at the scrimmage while watching the D smack the O around, particularly in pass coverage: how the hell is any young QB supposed to develop while playing against Rex's defensive system? Then, just now, I saw this--

Seth Walder: Total QB stats heading into Detroit game: Sanchez, 57-98 (58%), 6 TDs, 4 INTs, 8 sacks. Geno 43-78 (55%), 5 TDs, 1 INT, 12 sacks. #nyj

58% and 55% completions with 20 sacks between them is disgusting. You can make the argument that your quarterback should be able to overcome any defense, and that practicing against the best can only help him, but that might not be the case here. Mark, and now Geno, are practicing against personnel groups and schemes designed to stop Tom Brady. What chance do they have?

I don't know what the solution is, either, other than importing an already great QB.

I was thinking of this at the scrimmage while watching the D smack the O around, particularly in pass coverage: how the hell is any young QB supposed to develop while playing against Rex's defensive system? Then, just now, I saw this--

58% and 55% completions with 20 sacks between them is disgusting. You can make the argument that your quarterback should be able to overcome any defense, and that practicing against the best can only help him, but that might not be the case here. Mark, and now Geno, are practicing against personnel groups and schemes designed to stop Tom Brady. What chance do they have?

I don't know what the solution is, either, other than importing an already great QB.

Well, I've done some research into the top 200 defenses of the last twenty years and I have to say...

its an interesting theory however developing QB's isn't only about them beating vanilla D's in preseason. What these guys need to do is get rid of the ball accurately in like 2 seconds. 

If the Jets had a worse defense perhaps we'd all feel better about the below average QB's but someone like Dick Lebeau would crack em open eventually and then the whole league would know. Better to get it out of the way early. 

This is pathetic even by your standards Tommy. 

I expect much better trolling from you. 

This is just lazy.

kapernick and wilson must suck

The San Fran and Seattle defenses are built around pressure, though. They're obviously not sacking the QB in practices. Rex's deal is 100% scheme-oriented that actually doesn't rely on edge pressure. The closest defenses to it are Baltimore and Pitt, where Flacco and Roethlisberger (IIRC) had relatively low completion percentages early on in their careers.

Is the Jets D good?  I don't know they were nothing special last year and it seems like other than the D line they might have taken a step back at LB, CB, and S.  I mean honestly a bunch of geriatrics hopped up on Ensure could look good against the Sanchize who can't hit the side of a barn from 3 yards out and complete lack of offensive weapons.

I might buy your theory if Rex had anything do to with the offense....

And how is the competition really "fair" when SAnchez has had 20 more pass attempts than Geno?  You don't win a qb comp by handing off. 

So Rex is using his defense to make the QB's look bad and not progress in practice?  Then he gets a tat of his wife wearing the QB's jersey on his arm?  Then he stays with the QB longer than anyone thinks he should?  Only way this could end is Rex making a skin suit outta sanchez.  The whole weight loss think makes sense for a better fit.

Is the Jets D good?  I don't know they were nothing special last year and it seems like other than the D line they might have taken a step back at LB, CB, and S.  I mean honestly a bunch of geriatrics hopped up on Ensure could look good against the Sanchize who can't hit the side of a barn from 3 yards out and complete lack of offensive weapons.

How are they taking a step back at CB, unless Cromartie gets injured?

2012:  Cromartie + Wilson + 2 half-games from Revis

2013:  Cromartie + Milliner + Wilson

There is a good chance they will be worse at safety.

The San Fran and Seattle defenses are built around pressure, though. They're obviously not sacking the QB in practices. Rex's deal is 100% scheme-oriented that actually doesn't rely on edge pressure. The closest defenses to it are Baltimore and Pitt, where Flacco and Roethlisberger (IIRC) had relatively low completion percentages early on in their careers.

Baltimore and Pitt both won super bowls so there is always that.

How did we take a step down at CB?  We went from Cromartie-Wilson-Lankster (no Revis) to Cromartie-Milliner-Wilson (unless Wilson plays safety, which might be a plus for us in the secondary overall), and Cro continues to just get better and better.  The jury is of course out on Milliner but he was the top CB prospect for a reason. 

At worst, we're the same at CB as we were last year, no?  If Milliner doesn't cut it we just trot Wilson out as the starter on the outside and we're at status quo.

As for LB, we're at least younger and faster there then we were during the Bryan Thomas-Calvin Pace days.  If Quinton Coples makes the adjustment nicely and DeMario Davis is the leader we've been hearing about, then that's closer to being a super-unit than a liability like it was last season.

I think the defense stands to be significantly better than last year.  It'll help if whoever the QB is cuts down on turnovers by a significant margin so the D doesn't get worn down over the course of the season.

that is not an insult to TomGayne, it's his goto midnight snack

it makes me laugh to know that you had an "on second thought" moment after writing this that necessitated an edit... as if you re-imagining all your interwebz dude friends as gay doesn't come easy to you

it makes me laugh to know that you had an "on second thought" moment after writing this that necessitated an edit... as if you re-imagining all your interwebz dude friends as gay doesn't come easy to you

good point, imagining you as gay comes very easily

Archived