The Jets should have signed Vince Young

joewilly12

Vince Young completed 6-of-7 passes for 41 yards and a touchdown and rushed three times for 39 yards in Friday night's third preseason game.

Your Aaron Rodgers backup (and "handcuff" in deep leagues). Through three preseason appearances, V.Y. is 12-of-19 passing (63.2 percent) for 74 yards, the touchdown, and no turnovers. He's still got some juice in his legs with 58 yards rushing on six scrambles. Young has generally moved the offense and is clearly a superior backup option over Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman.

believe it or not, the player has a say in things. this isn't madden where you press a button and he signs

I don't want to go back to the o'donnell days where you overpay by 40% just to get guys to come here.  

build through the draft 

Vince Young was an available free agent. The Jets could have cut Sanchez and ended this nightmare. Vince Young on his worst day isn't as bad Sanchez. Rex Ryans love affair for Sanchez is the only thing keeping him in a Jets uni. If Rex sticks with him this season I hope they are both gone next year.

Vince Young was an available free agent. The Jets could have cut Sanchez and ended this nightmare. Vince Young on his worst day isn't as bad Sanchez. Rex Ryans love affair for Sanchez is the only thing keeping him in a Jets uni. If Rex sticks with him this season I hope they are both gone next year.

F that. If Rex holds onto Sanchez through this season, cut them both mid season. Its ridiculous to see how many chances he gave Sanchez. Kid is terrible.

Vince Young completed 6-of-7 passes for 41 yards and a touchdown and rushed three times for 39 yards in Friday night's third preseason game.

Your Aaron Rodgers backup (and "handcuff" in deep leagues). Through three preseason appearances, V.Y. is 12-of-19 passing (63.2 percent) for 74 yards, the touchdown, and no turnovers. He's still got some juice in his legs with 58 yards rushing on six scrambles. Young has generally moved the offense and is clearly a superior backup option over Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman.

To add, he apparently doesn't even know the whole offense yet.

Um... I'm pretty sure that if they cut Sanchez that he costs $5M MORE than he does if the keep him.  They aren't keeping him because Rex Ryan loves him, they are keeping him because it's cheaper than cutting him.  I thought everybody knew that.

Vince Young was an available free agent. 

yup

available to sign anywhere.  

so where did he sign ?

the packers, to back up rodgers in a loaded offense with a chance to win a ring on a 1 year deal

pretend you are idzik on tuesday...

what is your pitch to him to keep him away from the packers ?

yup

available to sign anywhere.  

so where did he sign ?

the packers, to back up rodgers in a loaded offense with a chance to win a ring on a 1 year deal

chance to start.

Hes on a 1 year deal with little interest in him for next year. Chance to start>Backup

They couldn't cut Sanchez and then sign anyone. That's not how the money worked.  And Vince Young is a retread. There is no purpose of bringing him in.

......or Jason Campbell.

Both are better options then Sanchez and are better examples to learn from for Geno.

No. They aren't, on either count.

chance to start.

Hes on a 1 year deal with little interest in him for next year. Chance to start>Backup

hey john, that sounds good, but what kind of money are we talking here ?  the packers are at x, with the unsettled coaching situation you have, dismal talent around the QB, you will have to do x +25% on a 3 year deal

you don't expect me to go back to vince and tell him he has a chance to start on a 1 year deal do you ?

No thanks.

believe it or not, the player has a say in things. this isn't madden where you press a button and he signs

I don't want to go back to the o'donnell days where you overpay by 40% just to get guys to come here.  

build through the draft 

Amen

Vince Young is batsh*t crazy. This Jets team is the opposite environment of the one Young needs to be in. That said, the Jets should grab BJ Coleman if he gets cut. He's got some talent.

Agreed.  He's mobile and looks to have a strong arm

that's fair but what if we pretend we are Idzik in March, looking to make his first signing a QB who hasn't played in a regular season game since 2010. Even VY has a better resume than that... 

that's fair but what if we pretend we are Idzik in March, looking to make his first signing a QB who hasn't played in a regular season game since 2010. Even VY has a better resume than that... 

thats fair.  I dunno.  I would think it was all about cap space and comp picks

Why sign a guy to be your third Q.B and as T0m rightly said he's bat sh*t crazy. I was to see what Geno Smith's got.

Me too but if he doesn't win the job its gonna be another long season with Sanchez at least Vince Young would have made it a better season. If you all remember they signed David Garrard to battle Sanchez and that plan failed. I would have preferred they signed Vince Young if he was our starter this season id feel ok.

Me too but if he doesn't win the job its gonna be another long season with Sanchez at least Vince Young would have made it a better season. If you all remember they signed David Garrard to battle Sanchez and that plan failed. I would have preferred they signed Vince Young if he was our starter this season id feel ok.

What's the point of that?  Is 7-9 really that much better than 6-10 or 5-11?  This is a rebuilding year.  It is what it is and their record will be what it will be.  No one's saying that they should intentionally tank, but by the same token, why bring in a vet for one year that may make you a little better that year, but will hurt the team in the long run, because if your year is not gonna be a playoff year anyway, then in terms of the draft 4-12 is much better than 6-10 or 7-9.  A team that is rebuilding can turn around their fortunes much quicker if they're drafting in the top 5 picks of every round and getting the prime choice of players vs a mediocre 7-9 or 8-8 team who, to get players that they need that can really help them either has to reach, trade a bunch of picks to move up, or just do without and get the best players they can where they are (which isn't that great).

You have a one year at the time view.  That's a fan's view (and a short-sighted one).  Idzik has to take the long-term view and think about what's best for the team going forward.  Especially since this is a rebuilding year, the team's record is almost irrelevant.  Rather this season is about developing their young players and seeing who is going to help them going forward, particularly Geno.

Why would we sign Vince Young? We are trying to build a Seatle Seahawks type dynasty. lol

But in all seriousness. This might be the worst Jets free agent class ever and that is saying a lot. No creativity, no solid vets. 

hey john, that sounds good, but what kind of money are we talking here ?  the packers are at x, with the unsettled coaching situation you have, dismal talent around the QB, you will have to do x +25% on a 3 year deal

you don't expect me to go back to vince and tell him he has a chance to start on a 1 year deal do you ?

chance to start can turn in to a multi year deal by showing something

Vince rides bench all season then packers dont want him back= career over

Archived