Manuel - Smith

SweetLee83

Jets links: E.J. Manuel, Stevie Johnson orchestrate last-second victory for Bills

Stevie Johnson scored the winning points for the Bills Sunday against the Panthers. (Kevin Hoffman/USA Today Sports)

Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger By  Michael J. Fensom/The Star-Ledger  

Follow on Twitter

on September 16, 2013 at 6:00 AM, updated September 16, 2013 at 6:08 AM

It's not quite Kelly to Reed, yet. The Buffalo Bills, the Jets' Week 3 opponent, beat the Carolina Panthers Sunday with two seconds remaining. The winning strike left the hand of the quarterback E.J. Manuel and reached the wide receiver Stevie Johnson just before the clock expired. The winning point came off the foot of Dan Carpenter, the kicker who spent a couple days in Jets camp prior to the start of the season.

For Johnson, the game marked redemption, the Buffalo News writes. 1,020 days ago, Johnson dropped a potential game-winning catch against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Johnson had eight catches for 111 yards Sunday, and a connection with Manuel is starting to emerge.

"I think we grew up in a week,” Johnson said. “I’m proud of this team.”

Johnson, of course, is responsible for one of the greatest NFL touchdown celebrations ever.

Speaking of Kelly, the legendary Bills quarterback was honored during halftime of Sunday's game. Afterward, he found Manuel, the rookie quarterback, and congratulated him on his first NFL victory.

Manuel was in tears after the game, and got a hug from his father, too, after leading the 80-yard, game-winning drive.

Another dynamic weapon in the Bills offense, C.J. Spiller got untracked Sunday. The running back rushed for over 100 yards on 16 carries.

Mario Williams, the Bills' defensive end, set a franchise record with 4.5 sacks of Cam Newton. Watch out, Geno.

The Bills pressured Newton all afternoon.

JETS FAN FORUM

-- A day-long discussion of the Jets begins today at 11 a.m. on NJ.com.

Agree it should be an interesting matchup.

Manuel is playing just fine for a rookie in his first couple of games.  But if not for ridiculously blown coverage - really, NON-coverage - on his primary read, then Manuel is the reason for a loss yesterday.

The game-winning drive = three dumpoffs, Carolina letting Stevie Johnson gain yards & get OOB, then giving Buffalo a free extra 20 yards plus stopping the clock with a meatheaded PI play, when Manuel threw a pick into quadruple-coverage that never would have been completed (even if it miraculously wasn't picked off).

Again, he's just a rookie, but the heros of the game for Buffalo were Spiller, Johnson, Mario, plus the Panthers coaches & players on that last drive.

I'm really excited to see this match-up of these two this Sunday...EJ coming off a game winning drive under 2 mins, no timeouts....

It's his first road game though, so it should be interesting...I expect a real low scoring game.

Ok, credit where it's due, when I first saw this thread title I thought you were coming over here to be a gloating douche.  Glad to see I was wrong, because otherwise I intended to organize a neg-rep bombing of epic proportions. :P

Yeah, this should certainly be an interesting game that could easily go either way.  I don't expect any particularly epic performances from either QB, as Geno has clearly had his struggles and if you've got to give Rex credit for anything, he's certainly the kind of guy who can put together a defensive plan that can make a rookie QB's head spin.  Turnovers will ultimately be the key for either side.

But hey, the good news is at least neither of our rookies are the most turnover-prone QB in NY, huh?

Agree it should be an interesting matchup.

Manuel is playing just fine for a rookie in his first couple of games.  But if not for ridiculously blown coverage - really, NON-coverage - on his primary read, then Manuel is the reason for a loss yesterday.

The game-winning drive = three dumpoffs, Carolina letting Stevie Johnson gain yards & get OOB, then giving Buffalo a free extra 20 yards plus stopping the clock with a meatheaded PI play, when Manuel threw a pick into quadruple-coverage that never would have been completed (even if it miraculously wasn't picked off).

Again, he's just a rookie, but the heros of the game for Buffalo were Spiller, Johnson, Mario, plus the Panthers coaches & players on that last drive.

I noticed you left off his 10 yard run to get out of bounds at the 2, to set up the winning touchdown after he escaped. 

There were lots of short passes, yes, and it worked great. The coverages the Panthers were using weren't allowing deep passes, and with no timeouts, they were getting chunks of yards, getting out of bounds, or making it so they could get right up to the line of scrimmage and get another play off, not spiking the ball once. 

I'll be curious to hear your excuses next week, if Buffalo wins in New Jersey. 

I noticed you left off his 10 yard run to get out of bounds at the 2, to set up the winning touchdown after he escaped. 

There were lots of short passes, yes, and it worked great. The coverages the Panthers were using weren't allowing deep passes, and with no timeouts, they were getting chunks of yards, getting out of bounds, or making it so they could get right up to the line of scrimmage and get another play off, not spiking the ball once. 

There's the SweetLee we all know and love!

My excuses? Threw into quadruple coverage - actually OVERthrew into quadruple coverage - and it was picked off by the safety.  So it was a 20 yard gain PLUS stopping the clock even though Manuel made a horrible throw.  Then the winning TD the exact receiver he was targeting was left completely un-covered.

But sure, it was a little scamper that was the reason for the win.  The scamper OOB would have meant nothing if Carolina didn't hand them a free 20 yards, a free timeout, and then a free touchdown.

Just like the Bucs handed you the game Week 1. Funny how it works, huh?

Of course Tampa handed us the game at the end in week 1.  Just as Carolina handed Buffalo the game yesterday.  The difference is that I'm not claiming otherwise.

Yeah which rookie QB can make the least mistakes wins

Pretty much.  It will once again, just like the last few years, come down to turnovers.  If the Jets dont turn it over, they can beat anyone, if they do, they can lose to anyone.

Its amazing what holding on to the Football does for a team.  

Just like the Bucs handed you the game Week 1. Funny how it works, huh?

Nobody handed us anything.

First, the only reason Tampa Bay got their field goal to go ahead was a muiffed tackle by Dawan Landry on the receiver.  Landry went for the strip, missed, and Vincent Jackson goes downfield 30+ yards.

Second, Tampa Bay hits Geno after he runs out of bounds on the Tampa 45 with 7 seconds left.  15 yard penalty gives us the relatively easy field goal range. 

However, it usually only takes 5 or 6 seconds to complete a short pass out of bounds.  Sure, Tampa Bay will be guarding the sidelines and deep, but they wouldn't be guarding very short passes of 5 yards or so.  We can send receivers downfield to draw defensive penalties-and-send a receiver or two just past the five yard line for a gain of 7 or 8 yards.  TB probably will allow that much, and it sets up a 54 yard field goal attempt.  In perfect weather on a day the ball is sailing long distances.

Not a sure thing, but Geno and the Jets had a fair shot of still getting that field goal even without the penalty.

Nobody handed us anything.

First, the only reason Tampa Bay got their field goal to go ahead was a muiffed tackle by Dawan Landry on the receiver.  Landry went for the strip, missed, and Vincent Jackson goes downfield 30+ yards.

Second, Tampa Bay hits Geno after he runs out of bounds on the Tampa 45 with 7 seconds left.  15 yard penalty gives us the relatively easy field goal range. 

However, it usually only takes 5 or 6 seconds to complete a short pass out of bounds.  Sure, Tampa Bay will be guarding the sidelines and deep, but they wouldn't be guarding very short passes of 5 yards or so.  We can send receivers downfield to draw defensive penalties-and-send a receiver or two just past the five yard line for a gain of 7 or 8 yards.  TB probably will allow that much, and it sets up a 54 yard field goal attempt.  In perfect weather on a day the ball is sailing long distances.

Not a sure thing, but Geno and the Jets had a fair shot of still getting that field goal even without the penalty.

I'm glad somebody else made this point.  While TB certainly made the Jets' life faaaar easier, Folk's FG would have been good from beyond 48 and the Jets could and would have run one more offensive play if not for that penalty, so it's a hardly a sure thing the Jets would have lost otherwise.

I'm glad somebody else made this point.  While TB certainly made the Jets' life faaaar easier, Folk's FG would have been good from beyond 48 and the Jets could and would have run one more offensive play if not for that penalty, so it's a hardly a sure thing the Jets would have lost otherwise.

No it is not a sure thing.  But it's quite likely we would have lost.

That being said, I think kelticwizard's point (or part of it anyway) is that there were mental farts made by both teams.  But somehow the only one that counts is the final one.

Archived