Revis: "You get brainwashed as a Jet"

Patriot Killa

Darrelle Revis spent the first six years of his NFL career with the New York Jets, where he was taught to dislike the New England Patriots.

"I think you get brainwashed being a New York Jet," Revis told NFL Media's Albert Breer this week. "You're supposed to hate the Patriots, and vice versa, if you're a Patriot, you're supposed to hate New York."

Now with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Revis said he's heading into Sunday's showdown with Tom Brady and the Patriots with the same gusto he did while wearing green. He also said his Bucs coaches have been peppering him with questions on how to slow down Brady.

"I've been helping as much as I can, just trying to make sure everybody's on the same page," Revis told Breer. "It's really simple: Tom doesn't have the chemistry that he did with some of the veteran receivers. You can see that a little bit, the young guys are trying to get acclimated and get used his fire and the way he runs his offense. We see that confusion a little. I've been helping the guys, telling them how (the Patriots) run their routes, the rub routes, and a bunch of other things."

Brady spoke glowingly of Revis earlier in the week, saying it was "ironic" to see the former Jet leave the division only to return to Foxboro in Week 3.

The Bucs' stout defense has the playmakers up front to pressure Brady. Dashon Goldson's suspension being overturned earlier in the week should also pay huge dividends for the Bucs' secondary.

When two All-Pro players like Revis and Brady match wits on the football field it's always an intriguing matchup.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247863/article/darrelle-revis-prepping-buccaneers-mates-for-patriots

Cheap shot..? or is Mehta rubbing off on me ?

I don't really see a problem.. just thought he could use a different word then "brainwashed"(so I guess I find that as a problem) .. but I just wanted some opinion's I'm not assuming anything.

Or he could stop running to reporters every week to drop some comments about the Jets in order to find his way to the front of the TMZ side of the game. Dude is a bitch.

Or he could stop running to reporters every week to drop some comments about the Jets in order to find his way to the front of the TMZ side of the game. Dude is a bitch.

I told everyone when his press conference was over.. right after being traded... he sounded REALLY butt hurt and like he was crying all night the night before because he thought he had us on his finger. And we would eventually give in.. He never wanted to leave NY but he was willing to push it confident we would give in. Till' Idzik came in with his 80 pound balls.

Now he is stuck with all these pedo stare's in Tampa Bay's locker room and he is scared and misses us/mad at us so he make's comments every week.

EXAMPLE OF STARES:

3qd7x9.jpg

With no recievers V the Bucks, I can see the Tampa D bustin some heads, and how long now before they pull Freeman? - Any way Revis is a whiney B@tch. He can cry over his 16mill tax free in Tampa. Two years max as a Buck, then he goes all Deion signing for a team with the best shot to win a ring.

I don't understand all the anti-Revis sentiment.  He was one of the greatest players to ever play for the Jets (and probably one of the NFL's best ever) so I'm grateful to him for that.  I'm past the point of begrudging players for "wanting to get paid".  This is their job, NFL careers are short, and NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

As far as his "brainwashing" comment I don't think he meant anything specific about the Jets in that regard.  I think he just meant "if you're involved in a rivalry, you grow to think of your opponent in that rivalry as someone to hate". 

I don't understand all the anti-Revis sentiment.  He was one of the greatest players to ever play for the Jets (and probably one of the NFL's best ever) so I'm grateful to him for that.  I'm past the point of begrudging players for "wanting to get paid".  This is their job, NFL careers are short, and NFL contracts are not guaranteed.

As far as his "brainwashing" comment I don't think he meant anything specific about the Jets in that regard.  I think he just meant "if you're involved in a rivalry, you grow to think of your opponent in that rivalry as someone to hate". 

This!

Revis did not turn this league into a business, he walked into a league that the owners were treating as a business, Revis is just lucky enough to be one of the few to have the god given talent, where he can fight back against the owners greed, and turn the tables.  It sucks for the fans who get caught in the middle of something like this, but it is what it is, and you will see it more, and more, and I for one will never blame a player for trying to get every penny from the greedy scumbag owners, as long as he puts in the type of work, and plays the way Revis plays.

I will forever be a Darrelle Revis fan, he is my favorite Jet of all time, and it's not even close, I grew up in the late 80's, and early 90's, and didn't get a chance to appreciate the W Walkers, Al Toons, J Kleco's, M Gastineau's, ect... so to me Darrelle Revis is the best talent I have ever seen play on the New York Jets, he will be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, and if Woody Johnson would have handled the situation a little better instead of using that douche accountant in Tannenbaum, maybe Revis is a Jet for life, we will have enough cap space to pay 4 Darrelle Revis' next year, and no QB making more than a 3 million, so I just don't see why Johnson couldn't just swallow his pride, talk to Revis, appologize to him for all the lies he was told by M Tannenbaum, and ask him to sign a team friendly extension that pushed his big money years into 2014, and taking some heat off of the 2013 salary cap.

Darrelle Revis is NOT the first NY Jets player to get lied to by the Jets front office about contracts, and the Jets lied to to many players while Revis was here, so why should Revis take anything they say as truth, seriously why?  What they did to Kellen Clemens on camera during hard knocks was called a savy business move, well Revis pulled the same kind of garbage on the Jets, and he got killed for it, you get what you give.  Revis probably would have acted like this regardless of the Jets actions with other players contracts, and dealings verbally telling players one thing, and doing another, but I will never blame him for getting what he is worth, and you are worth what someone is willing to pay you plain, and simple so you can't say Revis isn't worth 16 million a year, because that is what someone paid him, and they gave up a 1st, and a 3rd to get him.

IF there were 10 D Revis' in this league like there is 10 SB winning QB's making mega bucks with the way the league has completly transformed to an Arena football type of league (How many 100 yard rushers have we seen this year, how many RB's have more than 15 carries in 1 game), then this type of contract wouldn't be isolated, look at all the flack the Colts are getting for trading a 1st for a top 5 physically gifted RB in the entire league, and he is only 23ish, just shows you how pass heavy this league is, and if you can find a player who can take away the #1 weapon through the air on EVERY single team, EVERY single week, you take away 90% of the NFL's teams strengths, only about 10% of the NFL has a running game, or a 2nd WR who is a game changer, so yes maybe in the stat book, and during the game it looks like your paying 16 million for a guy to make 3-5 plays a game, but what your not seeing is the guy he is covering in BIG games, against the BEST WR's in the game putting up their usual game changing stat lines like 8 catches for 150 yards, and up to 2 TD's.  Revis is still in his prime, he isn't 33 years old, and I guarantee Revis will play well into his 30's probably changing positions to Safety alla Rod Woodson, and guarantee you he becomes one of the best Safties in the NFL when he does, and I can say this with confidence because I had the pleasure of watching, and reading about Revis's desire, will, competitiveness, and most important WORK ETHIC on, and off the field!  If you take the talent aspect out of it, and you field 22 Darrelle Revis's on the field every week you would be playing deep into the playoffs every single year, that is what seperates Revis from just about every other CB in the NFL (I am starting to hear some R Sherman talk, and I can't say one way, or the other because I haven't paid much attention to how good he actually is, only memory I have of him is his trash talking the Falcons R White last year before the game, only to watch White's back side cross the endzone with the ball for a TD on a deep route) there are many who have his talents physically, its the other stuff I listed that nobody else has IMO.

Again the Jets will field around 11-15 starters next season including the QB who will be making less than 3-5 million a year, so why couldn't they pay D Revis say 14-16 million in 2014, and into 2016 when you HOPEFULLY have to finally pay a QB that kind of money, and maybe by then at the age of 31 on a team that could be primed for a 5 year run at going for the SB if the offense is built right, and the QB needed is found whether it is Smith, or whoever Revis might finally take a step back to around 10 million a year knowing his physical skills are not what they were, and he has a chance to win a SB for the team that drafted him, in the largest market in the country.

Thinking about what this Jets defense would look like this year if we traded Milliner for Revis, with this new young, fast front 7 we could be watching the best defense the NY Jets ever fielded, and probably would have won the patriots game 10-9 last week.  Throw in a big time talent at Safety next year, and a young talented speedy replacement for C Pace, you could be looking at the 86 Bears, 00 Ravens defense next year if Rex Ryan is coaching it, probably wouldn't be that good, but they wouldn't be to far behind that with Snacks, Richardson, Wilk, Ellis, Coples, Davis, Harris, Revis, Cro, add in the 2 replacements for Landry, and Pace the sky is the limit!  Milliner may turn out to be a good player, but he will NEVER be able to do what Revis was capable of doing.

2009 Jets lose to the Chargers without Revis covering V Jackson in that playoff game, and in 2010 the Jets DO NOT beat the Colts in the 1st round if Revis isn't covering R Wayne taking Manning's only healthy weapon away from him, and a lot of younger guys greatest memory as Jets fans the victory in Foxboro in 2010 playoffs never happens, so yea I think Revis is the type of player who wins games by being on the field, regardless of what some of you guys think about not paying a CB QB money, and you know what you are right because 16 mill a year isn't franchise QB money anymore, it's more like 20 million, and that price is only going to go up if that is what Joe ******* Flacco got, and he got it from arguablly the best GM in all of football.

Darrelle Revis' only fault is being one of the few players who have the talent, and the balls to play the business side of the game the same way the owners play it, and like I said before the fans are the losers, but that is not on Revis only, both the team, and Revis are at fault for not being able to talk to each other, and IMO the Jets set the table for the poor communication because of the lies they told Revis, and other players during the Tannenbaum era about contracts, when 1 guy cries about being lied to the year before (Pete Kendall), and it never happens again fine maybe the player was wrong, but when it happened year, after year with more than 1 player in the following years, I can't turn away, and not fault the Jets for the way they handled their business with players, and can't blame Revis for not trusting a dam thing he was told, and holding out for what he thought he deserved.

I can go on for hours about this, we have the worst owner in all of sports (not counting money, counting smarts towards the particular sport your franchise plays), and I will never forgive Woody Johnson for not handling Revis like the all time great he is from the time it was evident, you don't sh*t where you sleep, if Woody takes care of him early, and often, and always treated him like he was wanted to be the face of the franchise, the Jets never have to pay Revis 16 million, no he won't sign for 10 million a year, but he probably would have no problem moving money around from year to year helping the team cap wise, as long as the team is communicating the truth to him, and taking care of him the right way.  You never heard any BS about Champ Bailey leaving Denver once they got that steal of a trade to get him in the first place, that is because they always took care of him the right way, and Bailey was making 10+ million a year well into his 30's.

Archived