Rex Ryan's pros outweigh his cons.

Jetsfan80

20 penalties.  Inane challenges.  Rex didn't coach his best game on Sunday.  Not by a long-shot.

But the Jets earned a victory and are now 2-1.

He signed on to the move to trade up and draft Mark Sanchez, AND supported the extending of his contract.  He's a loudmouth, which clashes with the rest of the league's quiet, contemplative HC's in the NFL like the color red does on television.  He's shown little ability or desire to understand the offensive side of the ball, instead deferring to substandard offensive coordinators such as Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano before finally hiring an apparently competent Marty Mornhinweg 5 years into his career.

Nevertheless, the following are indisputable:  40-33 career W-L record, 4-2 in the playoffs.  1 losing seasons in 4 years.

This is his make or break year.  Of this there can be no doubt.  With 2 years left on his contract, he's likely either receiving an extension or a pink slip depending on how the final 13 games go.

But as many Rex supporters have said, give Rex Ryan a decent QB and he'll win a lot of games in this week.  Geno Smith COULD be that guy.  He may never be the guy who carries a team to playoff victories.  But he could be at least league average, which is vastly better than Mark Sanchez, who was bottom 5 statistically in every meaningful category and metric his 4 years in the league.

And despite being one of the youngest teams in the NFL, signs are promising this season.  The front 7 has been absolutely dominant, holding teams to under 3 yards per carry and getting constant pressure on the QB.  And the secondary hasn't fallen off significantly from the losses of LaRon Landry and Darrelle Revis, partly because of some surprise players at safety (Antonio Allen) and CB (Darrin Walls).

And while it may not last, former malcontent Santonio Holmes has apparently put in the work in the offseason to get back to his 2010/2011 form.  While burning a substandard Buffalo secondary isn't exactly reason to think he'll put up WR1 numbers every week, at least he's shown that ability have offseason lisfranc surgery.

All in all, the positives outweigh the cons with Rex Ryan.  Fire him this offseason and we lose an asset, and at least the 3rd best Head Coach in Jets history.  Keep him around, and you're always guaranteed to have a top defense and a team that will NOT quit on their coach.  Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, and at least half of the league's head coaches could not say this.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 penalties.  Inane challenges.  Rex didn't coach his best game on Sunday.  Not by a long-shot.

But the Jets earned a victory and are now 2-1.

He signed on to the move to trade up and draft Mark Sanchez, AND supported the extending of his contract.  He's a loudmouth, which clashes with the rest of the league's quiet, contemplative HC's in the NFL like the color red does on television.  He's shown little ability or desire to understand the offensive side of the ball, instead deferring to substandard offensive coordinators such as Brian Schottenheimer and Tony Sparano before finally hiring an apparently competent Marty Mornhinweg 5 years into his career.

Nevertheless, the following are indisputable:  40-33 career W-L record, 4-2 in the playoffs.  1 losing seasons in 4 years.

This is his make or break year.  Of this there can be no doubt.  With 2 years left on his contract, he's likely either receiving an extension or a pink slip depending on how the final 13 games go.

But as many Rex supporters have said, give Rex Ryan a decent QB and he'll win a lot of games in this week.  Geno Smith COULD be that guy.  He may never be the guy who carries a team to playoff victories.  But he could be at least league average, which is vastly better than Mark Sanchez, who was bottom 5 statistically in every meaningful category and metric his 4 years in the league.

And despite being one of the youngest teams in the NFL, signs are promising this season.  The front 7 has been absolutely dominant, holding teams to under 3 yards per carry and getting constant pressure on the QB.  And the secondary hasn't fallen off significantly from the losses of LaRon Landry and Darrelle Revis, partly because of some surprise players at safety (Antonio Allen) and CB (Darrin Walls).

And while it may not last, former malcontent Santonio Holmes has apparently put in the work in the offseason to get back to his 2010/2011 form.  While burning a substandard Buffalo secondary isn't exactly reason to think he'll put up WR1 numbers every week, at least he's shown that ability have offseason lisfranc surgery.

All in all, the positives outweigh the cons with Rex Ryan.  Fire him this offseason and we lose an asset, and at least the 3rd best Head Coach in Jets history.  Keep him around, and you're always guaranteed to have a top defense and a team that will NOT quit on their coach.  Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, and at least half of the league's head coaches could not say this.

I agree. Rex Ryan is a coach of extremes, his pros are obvious and elite but his flaws ignorant and repetitive. Rex has been decent on challenges over the years but yesterday's challenges were foolish. The team discipline (mostly Kyle Wilson) has been inconsistent and the flags yesterday were horrible but through all that BS it was a Rex Ryan defense that dominated all day and hopefully our franchise QB in Smith that made some good throws along with a nice run game to overcome poor play in certain areas by the team. I hope Rex proves enough to Idzik for him to stick around cuz he's not worth kicking to the curb yet.

the way to destroy a team is to change coaches every 4 years is a fact look at our history. we gota good coach not great but maybe he can become great,he runs a grea D. and we are about 2 players on offense to become contenders. if this kid Gino keeps playing better like he has, well one can can dream right.

Firing Rex would be the single worst move in the history of the franchise. As I have brought up over and over again, who are we going to hire who is substantially better? Jim Harbaugh is in the position Rex was after the 2010 season, watch what happens if the Niners miss the playoffs this year or the year after, people will raise questions about his job security, but would it be warranted? absolutely not, and in this case it is not warranted with Rex. Who are we going to get if Rex is fired? Cowher? People forget it took Cowher over a decade of falling short before he finally won a super bowl. Gruden? Gruden won the SB in his 5th season, but let's not forget that even the Bucs fired him down the road.

And if it's not one of these two, who do we go after? Some college coach with no NFL experience? Some over hyped "hot" offensive coordinator from another team who benefited greatly from the QB he had to work with, another DEFENSIVE coordinator as if Rex somehow isn't better than any other?  I don't think people truly understand how hard it is to find a coaching candidate who is not only great (or even really good) at coaching on even one side of the ball, let alone a coaching candidate who is ELITE, one of the best at even one side of the ball. We have a good coach in Rex, who should be treated like Andy Reid was in Philly; his expertise, sheer knowledge of the game, and ability to teach young players at an elite level warrant a long term commitment, and if after such a commitment nothing materializes, then maybe then you decide it's time to move on.

My worst fear is that we end the season 7-9 8-8 or even 9-7, miss the playoffs and Idzik gets the authority to fire Rex, does so on a whim, and hires someone we've never heard of with questionable credentials who slowly runs this team into the ground. It would pain me to see our defense deteriorate in Rex's absence and get nothing to show for it from a new coach who really isn't as good at anything like Rex is concerning defense.

I did not want Rex back. I wanted the new GM to pick his guy. But I am rooting for wins. I am just sick of all the stupid. Here is my take. Rex coaches D like the rest of us process food. It is not just automatic pilot, it is genetic. He is just really good at it. but when I see him in these post game pressers, when he walks in breathing like he has just been hyperventilating, and his voice comes out an octave higher so he sounds like Kermit the Frog with a sore throat, I have to wonder. Is he in this state on the sidelines? His in game management decisions are so inane that I think he is not in real control of the situation. Defense, no problem. Everything else, problem. He has been coaching a long time. He should be a lot calmer when he walks into the press room. Scary. Yesterday was typical. And that business with Kyle Wilson was an abomination. It is not okay to act like that. Putting him back out there was an admission that performing that way was no big deal. And those challenges! Did someone actually call down those challenges from upstairs? If so, what were they doing? If not, what was Rex doing? Good grief!

Totally agree dude. He's a child in so many ways, but I don't believe we've come close to realizing the magnitude of the D he's putting together. He needs to be teamed with a strong personality at OC to get things on the other side of the ball accomplished and governed by a somewhat old school GM to keep the lid on a lot of his immature effervescence and simply to make good all around decisions. We just may have that in place today. We'll see. 

Totally agree dude. He's a child in so many ways, but I don't believe we've come close to realizing the magnitude of the D he's putting together. He needs to be teamed with a strong personality at OC to get things on the other side of the ball accomplished and governed by a somewhat old school GM to keep the lid on a lot of his immature effervescence and simply to make good all around decisions. We just may have that in place today. We'll see. 

Exactly.  

9-7

11-5

8-8

6-10

1 season with an outstanding record

2 seasons of a mediocre record

1 season bad record

Lets not get carried away with Rex's record. Its not great.  Its just ok.

2 losses in the AFC Championship.  Its a nice accomplishment to have made it that far in the playoffs, but in the end its meaningless.  We didnt win the big one.  We didnt make a Super Bowl.  Thats the goal every year and we didnt make it.

Rex is a buffoon.  He makes boneheaded decisions and seems to lack the ability to grasp full control over the entire team.

But, Rex keeps getting more out of his players than any other coach Ive seen in a long time over the past 4 years.  Last year, while a complete clusterf#ck, he somehow coached that sh!tbox of a team to 6 wins when they really shouldnt have won more than 2 or 3.  Plain and simple Rex is a winner.  He finds ways to win games with the crap hand he gets dealt.  Im not a big fan of Rex Ryan.  I dont think he is a good head coach.  I dont think he will ever lead us to the promise land.  But, he keeps winning... and you cant quit on a guy who keeps winning and putting his teams in a position to do something.  

This team has shown me a lot in 3 weeks.  We're not a very good football team.. We're quite average.  Which is amazing since this team should have been putrid.  And now, if they can keep it going, can have an outside shot at making the playoffs.  That to me is amazing.  With everything Ive seen so far, this team isnt far off from being decent... long way off from being dominant.  But decent is likely.  And that would be an amazing coaching job.

.... He is just really good at it. but when I see him in these post game pressers, when he walks in breathing like he has just been hyperventilating, and his voice comes out an octave higher so he sounds like Kermit the Frog with a sore throat, I have to wonder. Is he in this state on the sidelines?...

.....He has been coaching a long time. He should be a lot calmer when he walks into the press room.

So don't watch post game press conferences. 

Coaches are hired to coach.  Who cares if he looks bad in a press conference?

he needs a co-pilot.  <I know, I know, dick curl joke here>

he consistently calls a great defense.  played chess with manning and won with scrubs in the secondary in a playoff game

but as a head coach he makes glaring mistakes and I'm sick of his player media friendly policy and the general lack of discipline

head coaches who get fired routinely accept coordinator jobs with other teams, but never take the demotion with the same team

so this will be a tough call for idzik

as we saw with pettine, just because you coach with a guy doesn't mean you can call the game as well

I would hate to give up on him now. We sold the farm Tanny style with older slower guys. We got close but it didn't work. Now that we are getting younger and faster I would love to see Rex and Marty get a couple years of good drafting to see what can be done with a young and hungry team.

I'm looking forward to an Offensive skill position heavy draft. It sure would be fun to see what a Rex D would look like next to a legit Offense for the Jets.

I would hate to give up on him now. We sold the farm Tanny style with older slower guys. We got close but it didn't work. Now that we are getting younger and faster I would love to see Rex and Marty get a couple years of good drafting to see what can be done with a young and hungry team.

I'm looking forward to an Offensive skill position heavy draft. It sure would be fun to see what a Rex D would look like next to a legit Offense for the Jets.

That's just to much awesome to happen to the Jets, and us Jets fans, and the sad part is, it might not be that far from reality, but some young hot shot GM will want HIS guy, and we will never see the WHAT IF, like WHAT IF Parcells tells Peyton Manning "absolutely your my 1st pick if you declare" or Bill Belicheck doesn't resign the HC position, and maybe him, and his staff draft Tom Brady?

We're destin for another WHAT IF instead of AWESOME!

I really do like Rex, aside from a few things which I think he is actually better about now, and would like to see what he can do over next few yrs if this team plays well this yr. Ppl bring in to question his record by the years, but look what he had as a QB....... His D was enough the first two yrs to overcome the sh*tty play, but when they got a lil older the next two yrs and Sanchez turned the ball over at record rates they couldn't make up for it as much. Now that they are younger on D and hopefully Geno can start to cut down on turnovers this team could actually surprise a lot of ppl.

I am not concerned with how he looks [Rex in post-game press conferences] but why he looks that way.

I just think that press conferences are a different skill set from coaching.

Looking like you know what you're doing in front of reporters after a game is not the same as actually knowing what you're doing.

Different sport, but Hubie Brown sounded impressive in interviews, always breaking things down analytically to a fine degree.

He did all right for awhile as coach of the Knicks as well.  But afterward he had a long period where the team just didn't do that well and was finally let go. 

Just before the Knicks made a change from Brown, Doug Moe won some milestone number of games.  Mike Lupica wrote in the Daily News, "How come when Hubie Brown wins a basketball game, it's somehow more important than when other coaches win basketball games?"

imo, the solution is to keep MM and make him 100% responsible for all things offense, hire an Asst HC and make him responsible for game time decisions, keep Rex as HC but in practice make him a glorified DC

I think that's essentially what we already have, minus the asst/sideline/clock/challenge guy.

Rex had his hands on the offense last year with the Sporano hire- never again,

head coaches who get fired routinely accept coordinator jobs with other teams, but never take the demotion with the same team

Yeah, no chance he accepts a demotion here.  Idzik's only 2 options are extension or fire him.  Which is kind of a win-win for Jets fans.  If he keeps his job it means our team is headed in the right direction.  If he ends up fired it means Idzik gets to bring in the guy he wants and perhaps put us on the right path.

I'm obviously rooting for the former, and think that's what ends up happening.  Rex could very much end up coaching his way towards being "Idzik's guy".

imo, the solution is to keep MM and make him 100% responsible for all things offense, hire an Asst HC and make him responsible for game time decisions, keep Rex as HC but in practice make him a glorified DC

I like this idea. Booth or field?!?!? Pick up a sponsor with the tablet he'll need! 

Well, there was Idzik's comment that the starting QB would be a group decision.  Since who sits and who plays is considered central to a head coach's authority, that definitely looked like Rex no longer had the power a normal coach would have.

There was also Woody's announcement when he hired Idzik that a condition of the hiring was that Rex would be head coach for the first year at least.  The way that is put makes it look like Rex is basically out the door but he's getting one more chance.

This is exactly what most likely will happen barring a complete less than 5 win meltdown this season.  Rex is a defensive savant and needs help with everything else.  But I did hear he could drive the f*ck out of a driveway. 

No matter who's in charge of "game time decisions," things like blown challenges and timeouts will always be over-scrutinized. But if Mornhinweg is competent as an OC, and Idzik is a competent executive, with a competent team of talent evaluators around him, Rex is a damn good coach to have.

Archived