Are Geno's bad habits correctable? Resign Bray?

Freemanm

Not taking care of the ball, careless throws under pressure, dropping back instead of stepping up, etc.

Despite all of this though, he's made some brilliant throws. He also has about he same stats, believe it or not, as Nen Roethlesberger and Eli Manning in terms of TDs, INTs and fumbles.

Can he get rid of these bad habits or will he be like Sanchez and never actually improve?

I think the Jets have to re-sign Bray with Hill leaving with a head injury and Holmes leaving with a hamstring

His problems stem from not being ready for the speed of the pro game, even given today, he's been a bit better then I thought he'd be overall. The real question is does playing through the adversity help him improve or crush him, I don't believe the answer to that question is the same for each player. It's partially a personality thing, some folks give up other buckle down and work harder. We'll see I guess

The question is will he learn and get better with his fundamentals? You have to let it play out and see. And not wait 4 years to find out

His problems stem from not being ready for the speed of the pro game, even given today, he's been a bit better then I thought he'd be overall. The real question is doing playing through the adversity help him improve or crush his him, I don't believe the answer to that question is the same for each player. It's partially a personality thing, some folks give up other buckle down and work harder. We'll see I guess

Both of these are dead on! You give the guy this season and see if he gets better with each game. This is a young team and he is learning but he has the ability.

It's still early. He could come back and have a 3 TD 300 yard game next week.  So far he's 4 games into his career and hasn't really looked good.  It's still up in the air. There are rookie QBs who have bad games, but they also have moments where you can tell they are going to get better.   I really have no clue if Geno can.  He makes some great throws, but more often than not he looks like a guy who is confused as an NFL QB.   Over time you can improve things, cut back on turnovers,  but I don't know if you can change his pocket presence.   A QB who panics and runs every time he hears footsteps can be improved.  A QB who panics and throws a few bad passes everytime he feels a rush can be worked on.   Geno seems to just stand and hold onto the ball or not hold onto it.  How do you work on that?  That's not really a mechanical issue or a take a deep breath issue, that's a guy who has played football most of his life who stands near the end zone and holds onto a ball.   You learn early on to try and not make bad mistakes, but try and not be tackled in the end zone.  Not sure why he continues to just look confused back there.

While it's still early in the season, the last time he had a horrible game, he bounced back...which is only once, I know.  I liked the fact that they kept him in after the turnovers and he stood in the pocket and made some throws, while standing tall and taking a couple hits.  I don't think this is a kid who's going to get shell-shocked, cower and go away.  We'll see what he's made out of when he has to go down into Atlanta and play them on a nationally televised monday night game.

Some perspective should be taken; this is his 4th game, second road game ever and his #2 WR was concussed the second play, I think we'll see a different Geno Smith and a different Jets team come next Monday, assuming guys are healthy. Powell and the offensive line are doing a great job of getting that run game going and if it weren't for falling behind so early, he would have had a monster day as he's seemingly getting 6 yards every time he touches the ball.  This game was terrible, we got beat in every phase of the game, but we are 2-2 in the first quarter of the season and we're still in it.  I'm excited to see how everybody responds next monday.

While it's still early in the season, the last time he had a horrible game, he bounced back...which is only once, I know.  I liked the fact that they kept him in after the turnovers and he stood in the pocket and made some throws, while standing tall and taking a couple hits.  I don't think this is a kid who's going to get shell-shocked, cower and go away.  We'll see what he's made out of when he has to go down into Atlanta and play them on a nationally televised monday night game.

Some perspective should be taken; this is his 4th game, second road game ever and his #2 WR was concussed the second play, I think we'll see a different Geno Smith and a different Jets team come next Monday, assuming guys are healthy. Powell and the offensive line are doing a great job of getting that run game going and if it weren't for falling behind so early, he would have had a monster day as he's seemingly getting 6 yards every time he touches the ball.  This game was terrible, we got beat in every phase of the game, but we are 2-2 in the first quarter of the season and we're still in it.  I'm excited to see how everybody responds next monday.

He has what,  4 TDs 8 INTs and like 4 fumbles.   Even his 'bounce back' Bills game he had 2 picks and the Jets barely won a game where the Defense had 8 sacks.

While it's still early in the season, the last time he had a horrible game, he bounced back...which is only once, I know.  I liked the fact that they kept him in after the turnovers and he stood in the pocket and made some throws, while standing tall and taking a couple hits.  I don't think this is a kid who's going to get shell-shocked, cower and go away.  

Agreed. And that is a hugely important component to the "will he ever" equation. 

He has what,  4 TDs 8 INTs and like 4 fumbles.   Even his 'bounce back' Bills game he had 2 picks and the Jets barely won a game where the Defense had 8 sacks.

True, he turned the ball over in that win, but he helped orchestrate one of the largest outputs of offensive production our franchise has seen in a while.  I know he's had some awful turnovers this season, but I'm willing to wait more than a quarter of a season to see how he develops, as he's shown many things to like. I can understand people calling for his head, I think it's premature, but I also believe this game, on Monday Night Football, down in Atlanta is going to be a big game and I would like to see how he responds.  He simply cannot keep turning the ball over if we want to win and I'd like to see if he can.

If Kyle Wilson hadn't imploded on that one series, the Bills wouldn't have scored a touchdown, so that can't be put on Geno's shoulders. IMHO, the Jets were in control for most of that game by playing great D and running the ball effectively.

Here's another question, though - given where the Jets were at the end of camp, if you look at the big picture, isn't this pretty much where they are supposed to be at this point? Look at the factors -  they are 2-2 with a rookie quarterback, questions at RB and receiver, and at the beginning of the post-Revis era.

His problems stem from not being ready for the speed of the pro game, even given today, he's been a bit better then I thought he'd be overall. The real question is doing playing through the adversity help him improve or crush his him, I don't believe the answer to that question is the same for each player. It's partially a personality thing, some folks give up other buckle down and work harder. We'll see I guess

I agree with you, you disgusting warthog. 

He is 10x better than Clyde Gates and Ben Obamanu.

And yet not a single team in the entire national football league is willing to sign him. Like, at all. For four straight weeks. He legitimately hasn't done a single thing in the NFL since we cut him three years ago. How is it that he's still so highly regarded around here?

I realize this is a terribly cliched phrase....but his pocket presence is awful.

It hasn't been great.  But I won't judge him in that aspect based on any part of today.  I would burn that film and move forward. The Jets Oline was strange today.  Some times Geno had all day to throw, other plays the line was blown back.  Very strange.

All that said, they have to make some change.  I figure VLad is the safest bet.  Put in Winters and if nothing else, the Jets will commit 2 less penalties.

As I posted on another thread, what worries me is not so much whether this or that problem Smith is showing can be fixed.  It's that he has problems in too many areas that the odds say make it unlikely he fixes all of them.

He gets a shot to bounce back next week because the Jets could not get a decent vet Qb.  But if he doesn't, might as well see what Simms can do.  I doubt he's worse than Smith. 

It hasn't been great.  But I won't judge him in that aspect based on any part of today.  I would burn that film and move forward. The Jets Oline was strange today.  Some times Geno had all day to throw, other plays the line was blown back.  Very strange.

All that said, they have to make some change.  I figure VLad is the safest bet.  Put in Winters and if nothing else, the Jets will commit 2 less penalties.

swapping Vlad for Winters is like changing the hub caps on a car with a shot engine. the left guard isn't why they lost that game. 

It's still early. He could come back and have a 3 TD 300 yard game next week.  So far he's 4 games into his career and hasn't really looked good.  It's still up in the air. There are rookie QBs who have bad games, but they also have moments where you can tell they are going to get better.   I really have no clue if Geno can.  He makes some great throws, but more often than not he looks like a guy who is confused as an NFL QB.   Over time you can improve things, cut back on turnovers,  but I don't know if you can change his pocket presence.   A QB who panics and runs every time he hears footsteps can be improved.  A QB who panics and throws a few bad passes everytime he feels a rush can be worked on.   Geno seems to just stand and hold onto the ball or not hold onto it.  How do you work on that?  That's not really a mechanical issue or a take a deep breath issue, that's a guy who has played football most of his life who stands near the end zone and holds onto a ball.   You learn early on to try and not make bad mistakes, but try and not be tackled in the end zone.  Not sure why he continues to just look confused back there.

That's the key.  If he bounces back from this and plays well next week that says a lot more about his potential rather than one really really really bad game. Short memory = long career.

swapping Vlad for Winters is like changing the hub caps on a car with a shot engine. the left guard isn't why they lost that game. 

You are quite literally the world's worst creator of analogies. How you can equate multiple penalties and multiple sacks to something as innocuous as a hub-cap is beyond me. Does he literally need to get someone killed for him to be equivalent to a serviceable car part?

Archived