Pam Oliver

CobraVerde

Just heard on the radio how she was ripping New York at a super bowl committee meeting today. Called jets fans the only stupid fans that will be the ones not to wear warm clothing. Also asked woody how the heck can Rex still be our coach and then to a room of 50+ people asked that nyers be nice cause they are rude. Her excuse after everyone gasped was that she was from the south...

Haven't had a chance to confirm this, has anyone else come across this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/24/pam-oliver-causes-stir-at-super-bowl-breakfast-in-new-york/

As she prepares to work Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in February, Pam Oliver of FOX is getting a head start on winning friends and influencing people in the New York area.

According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Oliver caused a stir with remarks made at a New York-New Jersey Super Bowl breakfast for regional business leaders.

Per Hubbuch, the comments came during a roundtable discussion with owners of the Jets and Giants.  He writes that Oliver drew “gasps, groans and more than a few boos for her odd and insulting comments.”

For instance, when Al Kelly, the chairman of the New York-New Jersey Super Bowl Committee, said there would probably be “a couple of idiots” who wouldn’t dress appropriately for the conditions at the game, Oliver said, “Probably Jets fans.”

She also asked Jets owner Woody Johnson, “How does Rex [Ryan] keep his job?”  Giants co-owner Jonathan Tisch was asked, “[W]hat in the hell is the matter with the Giants?”

Hubbuch writes that the crowd of roughly 50 “roared” when Oliver asked Kelly and the team representatives how they intended  “to instruct people of this area, particularly New Yorkers, to be nice?  To say ‘please,’ ‘thank you’ and ‘I’ll get that’?”

She then added, “I’m sorry — I’m from the South.”

“I’m from New York City, and I take exception with that,” Tisch said.  “New Yorkers are unbelievably hospitable.”

While Oliver was out of line, let’s not go too crazy on the actual or perceived hospitality of New Yorkers.  Unless it’s now considered polite to barge onto an elevator before the person who is on the elevator has had a chance to exit.

The whole thing is a bit bizarre.  FOX will be televising the game, and Oliver presumably will be working the sideline during the game.  There’s no reason to gratuitously alienate the people who are helping host the event that FOX will be broadcasting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/24/pam-oliver-causes-stir-at-super-bowl-breakfast-in-new-york/

As she prepares to work Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in February, Pam Oliver of FOX is getting a head start on winning friends and influencing people in the New York area.

According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, Oliver caused a stir with remarks made at a New York-New Jersey Super Bowl breakfast for regional business leaders.

Per Hubbuch, the comments came during a roundtable discussion with owners of the Jets and Giants.  He writes that Oliver drew “gasps, groans and more than a few boos for her odd and insulting comments.”

For instance, when Al Kelly, the chairman of the New York-New Jersey Super Bowl Committee, said there would probably be “a couple of idiots” who wouldn’t dress appropriately for the conditions at the game, Oliver said, “Probably Jets fans.”

She also asked Jets owner Woody Johnson, “How does Rex [Ryan] keep his job?”  Giants co-owner Jonathan Tisch was asked, “[W]hat in the hell is the matter with the Giants?”

Hubbuch writes that the crowd of roughly 50 “roared” when Oliver asked Kelly and the team representatives how they intended  “to instruct people of this area, particularly New Yorkers, to be nice?  To say ‘please,’ ‘thank you’ and ‘I’ll get that’?”

“I’m from New York City, and I take exception with that,” Tisch said.  “New Yorkers are unbelievably hospitable.”

While Oliver was out of line, let’s not go too crazy on the actual or perceived hospitality of New Yorkers.  Unless it’s now considered polite to barge onto an elevator before the person who is on the elevator has had a chance to exit.

The whole thing is a bit bizarre.  FOX will be televising the game, and Oliver presumably will be working the sideline during the game.  There’s no reason to gratuitously alienate the people who are helping host the event that FOX will be broadcasting.

Did Florio seriously just try to defend Pam's bitchy behavior by citing a scene from a sitcom?  What a dumbass.

Just heard on the radio how she was ripping New York at a super bowl committee meeting today. Called jets fans the only stupid fans that will be the ones not to wear warm clothing. Also asked woody how the heck can Rex still be our coach and then to a room of 50+ people asked that nyers be nice cause they are rude. Her excuse after everyone gasped was that she was from the south...

I don't even understand why she was invited.  She's only a sideline reporter.  I hope she loses her job over this.

Oh she's from the south, so she means she'd rather people hide behind a veil of politeness while at the same time being deceitful and insulting behind everyone's back instead. Gotcha. New Yorkers and the northeast in general may be very direct and to the point, which can come across as rude, but at least they're not going out of their way to pretend to like every single person. 

Maybe someone told her it was a roast.

Oh she's from the south, so she means she'd rather people hide behind a veil of politeness while at the same time being deceitful and insulting behind everyone's back instead. Gotcha. New Yorkers and the northeast in general may be very direct and to the point, which can come across as rude, but at least they're not going out of their way to pretend to like every single person. 

A pig roast, maybe.  When there was none, the floodgates opened.

I'm from the south, but spent 16 years in NYC.  People from the northeast can be rude. It's not just a matter of being direct or honest giving the impression of rudeness.  You do have a point, however about the south.  Many people here, at least traditionally, could be very two-faced...nice to your face while stabbing you in the back.  

I much prefer people being honest and letting others know where they stand.  During my time in NYC I did miss the politeness and friendliness of southerners, however.  I attribute much of the differences to climate differences and the differences between congested areas in and around big cities vs smaller towns and cities, and also the rat syndrome, where there's always competition for everything.  It brings out the worst in some people, and it becomes dog-eat-dog.

So was she trying to be funny and it bombed cause thats the impression im getting from the article...am i wrong on that? Should i hate her.?

I'm from the south, but spent 16 years in NYC.  People from the northeast can be rude. It's not just a matter of being direct or honest giving the impression of rudeness.  You do have a point, however about the south.  Many people here, at least traditionally, could be very two-faced...nice to your face while stabbing you in the back.  

I much prefer people being honest and letting others know where they stand.  During my time in NYC I did miss the politeness and friendliness of southerners, however.  I attribute much of the differences to climate differences and the differences between congested areas in and around big cities vs smaller towns and cities, and also the rat syndrome, where there's always competition for everything.  It brings out the worst in some people, and it becomes dog-eat-dog.

It was an over generalization on my part, obviously there's a bunch of ass*holes in NY and the entire northeast, I was more defending the idea that it's the only place that has those types of people. I had an Aunt who lived in Rome Georgia that I used to visit a lot, on top of the countless track meets all through the SEC and my biggest surprise was how two-faced some of the people were, as you mentioned: it really came as a shock to me as I always had the notion that everyone was genuinely nice.  I think people in the northeast take exception to the stereotype that everyone is rude, just as much as people from the south take exception to the stereotype of everyone being slow or dumb. Clearly we all have a lot of both. It's honestly a bit surprising to see someone who's supposedly well-educated make that type of statement and think it'd go over well.

I don't even understand why she was invited.  She's only a sideline reporter.  I hope she loses her job over this.

I'm going to do what other people do over stupid sh*t and feign outrage over this. Somebody start a petition to have her removed from the SB so she doesn't have to suffer the indignity of coming back here.

win.. she's not far off on that one, unfortunately

I got assigned to the base in Shreveport, LA, in the late 80s. I got there and settled in a couple of months before my wife arrived. I'm driving her thru our new neighborhood and people are waving hello to us. My wife says "why are they waving at us?" i say, "they're being friendly." Silence. Then she says, "I don't like it." it took a while, but you get used to it. Pam - I don't think she was being friendly.

Archived