Rex Names Smith starter against Fish

flgreen

Jets sticking with Geno Smith

Posted by Josh Alper on November 25, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
5ab37f9b066136f5fec02f396548a0ee-e138541Getty Images

After they lost 19-3 in Baltimore on Sunday, Jets coach Rex Ryan said he needed to watch film before naming the team’s starting quarterback for Week 13.

Ryan didn’t build much suspense during his Monday meeting with the media before announcing that Geno Smith will remain in the starting job. Ryan never pulled Smith in favor of Matt Simmsduring the loss to the Ravens, but he’s done it in the fourth quarter of two other blowout losses this season. Smith was 9-of-22 for 127 yards and two interceptions with the bulk of the yards coming when the Jets were already way behind.

Neither that performance nor the four straight games without a touchdown pass dissuaded Ryan from the feeling that Smith is the right man to pilot the offense.

“Right now, I would feel that he gives us the best chance to win,” Ryan said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday.

Simms has two quarters of NFL experience and David Garrard appears to be on the roster as a mentor rather than a viable option to play, which doesn’t leave Ryan with a compelling alternative to Smith. Losing to the Dolphins in Week 13 will leave the Jets with very long odds of making it back into the sixth seed in the AFC that they held going into Baltimore in Week 12. They’ll go down or continue to float with the guy that’s brought them this far.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the same old BS story we got with Sanchez.

I've been a supporter of Rex's. but if this is truly his decision, then he will get fired for it in the end.

Dolphins are one of the top teams in the NFL in interceptions.  This could get ugly.  Good thing their offense stinks 

Jets sticking with Geno Smith

Posted by Josh Alper on November 25, 2013, 5:04 PM EST

5ab37f9b066136f5fec02f396548a0ee-e138541Getty Images

After they lost 19-3 in Baltimore on Sunday, Jets coach Rex Ryan said he needed to watch film before naming the team’s starting quarterback for Week 13.

Ryan didn’t build much suspense during his Monday meeting with the media before announcing that Geno Smith will remain in the starting job. Ryan never pulled Smith in favor of Matt Simmsduring the loss to the Ravens, but he’s done it in the fourth quarter of two other blowout losses this season. Smith was 9-of-22 for 127 yards and two interceptions with the bulk of the yards coming when the Jets were already way behind.

Neither that performance nor the four straight games without a touchdown pass dissuaded Ryan from the feeling that Smith is the right man to pilot the offense.

“Right now, I would feel that he gives us the best chance to win,” Ryan said, via Bob Glauber of Newsday.

Simms has two quarters of NFL experience and David Garrard appears to be on the roster as a mentor rather than a viable option to play, which doesn’t leave Ryan with a compelling alternative to Smith. Losing to the Dolphins in Week 13 will leave the Jets with very long odds of making it back into the sixth seed in the AFC that they held going into Baltimore in Week 12. They’ll go down or continue to float with the guy that’s brought them this far.

Geno hasn't brought anyone anywhere - they're 5-6 IN SPITE of him!

i dont think Simms in the answer, but "he gives us the best chance to win" is exactly what he kept saying about Mark. Doesnt give me a warm and fuzzy.

Simms probably isn't the answer.  But we know, right now, for sure Smith isn't.  I don't think Simms can play any worst

Geno Smith will start on Sunday despite ongoing struggles

Geno Smith got the green light from the Jets this week to be their starting quarterback, likely meaning more of the same for an offense that has struggled in recent weeks.

The Jets’ offense has been in a free fall over the past month, with just 17 combined points over the past two games. Of the utmost concern for the offense is the play of Smith, who hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass since Oct. 20 in a Week 7 overtime win over the Patriots. During that stretch, he has just one game with a completion percentage over 50 percent.

Despite that, when asked if he was the starter this week Smith acknowledged that he would be.

“Yes,” Smith said, before hesitating. “I fully intend to go about my week as I always do and have confidence in myself to be the starter and the leader of this offense. I will continue to study and work diligently as I’ve always done.”

Smith later said he hadn’t had a conversation with the coaching staff about his starting role, but head coach Rex Ryan said from the podium on Monday his rookie quarterback will start.

“Right now I feel that he gives us the best chance to win,” Ryan said.

Smith completed 9-of-22 passes for 127 yards with three interceptions against the Ravens, but was not pulled from the game as he was the week prior. Despite the competition mantra espoused by first-year general manager John Idzik, it is clear Smith is firmly ensconced as the starting quarterback.

The Jets have veteran David Garrard and Matt Simms, who has looked solid in two appearances this year, on the roster. But Smith said the chatter calling for him to be replaced is something he ignores.

“I completely shut that out,” Smith said. “One, you have to, but two, I know what it takes to win and what it takes to be a good quarterback and it doesn’t have anything to do with anything outside this building.”

The deficiencies of Smith have not changed. He’s unsettled in the pocket, inaccurate and has issues in terms of reading defenses.

“It’s pretty frustrating but you can’t let it affect you. I obviously want to throw more touchdowns, want to be more productive, want to help this team out in anyway I can,” Smith said. “But the opportunities, when they’re there, I have got to be able to take them. We’ve had some opportunities that [we] didn’t cash in on. But it’s behind us, it’s in the past. You can’t get those back. Got to move on.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/nfl/2013/11/25/geno-smith-will-start-on-sunday-despite-ongoing-struggles/#sthash.7vOG6wBz.dpuf

yeah. im as die hard as they come but these games are approaching unwatchable. if simms was starting that would be must see tv. i can't get motivated to watch geno anymore. we all know what's gonna happen.

I live in New England, normally I relish every time the Pats are on in prime-time, because it usually mean I get the Jets game. Yesterday, I turned off the television. It was unwatchable.

I like Rex Ryan but he's playing himself out of a job and im not gonna feel sorry for him when he gets fired. i feel bad for Simms because he is not gonna get a legitimate shot unless Geno is broken in half. and even next year when we get a new coach Simms is going to get pushed back because you know this organization is gonna spend another 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB...

welcome to another 5 years of this bullsh*t...

everyone who isn't a Jets fan - analysts, former coaches, former players - says that you start Smith the rest of the year, figure out exactly what he is, and start evaluating exactly what you have to do this offseason.

just accept it and move on.

everyone who isn't a Jets fan - analysts, former coaches, former players - says that you start Smith the rest of the year, figure out exactly what he is, and start evaluating exactly what you have to do this offseason.

first off... everyone who isn't a Jets fan... hates the Jets. these people do not have the best interest of the JEts at heart. 

but Geno.... he's not even making good plays anymore. It's one thing to talk about ups and downs, this kid's ups are so far removed it feels like it was another season. It's all downs, and it's been that way for about 6 weeks. He hasn't thrown a TD since week 7. 

"Figure out exactly who he is" they've had 11 games so far really need another 5? To just flush out how terrible Geno Smith is? I think we can all assume he's horrible and just operate from there.

I would be perfectly fine with them benching Geno. However, now that we know he's starting again, I at least hope we don't see more of the same conservative nonsense we've been seeing. It seems clear from last game that the coaches have no faith in Geno, especially with how much they leaned on the wildcat. Either let him play, or bench him. This in between BS where they show no faith in him yet refuse to pull him is just getting stupid, especially now that our playoff chances are slim to none.

I don't think Geno has much of a chance to succeed. But running 1st and 2nd down without much success and only letting Geno pass after it's 3rd and long is a recipe for even further disaster. Teams are severely stacking the box against us now, it's time we take advantage of that or die trying. Playing not to lose at this point is asinine.

Continuing to start Geno, who Idzik drafted, won't get him fired.  Getting blown out every week, however, will.

But thank goodness our defense is in the top 5. and the d was dancing after making stops down 19-3. lol you just cant teach that kind of swagger. its a reflection of your hero :)

Can you prove this?

Archived