Smith: I was playing like a robot

flgreen

Jets QB: I was playing like a ‘robot’

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2013
STAFF WRITER

THE RECORD

FLORHAM PARK — Geno Smith believes he knows one of the reasons for his recent and prolonged slump.

The Jets' rookie quarterback said Wednesday that at times recently, he was "playing like a robot."

If that's the case, it's no wonder Smith seemed, well, Lost in Space while compiling eight interceptions and zero touchdown passes during a five-game span. But unlike the automaton in that classic, campy, 1960s sci-fi TV series, Smith is very mobile. That mobility and his adaptability helped him break out of his funk against Oakland, and could help Smith and the Jets succeed again when they visit Carolina on Sunday.

Smith had 16 completions and threw for 219 yards in the victory over the Raiders, marking the first time since Oct. 27 at Cincinnati that he had double-digit completions and the first occasion since Oct. 20 against New England that he compiled over 200 yards passing. What helped was that he also had five rushes for a season-high 50 yards, including an 8-yard score for his fourth rushing touchdown as a pro.

"Throughout the game," Smith said Wednesday, "[i was] just playing freely. It goes back to not thinking about all my past mistakes. I think I kind of got into this zone where I just tried to be way too perfect, and that's almost impossible to do at any level, especially as a rookie. There were times where I was so caught up in running the play and executing it to perfection that I didn't allow my natural ability to take over at times."

He said offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg had encouraged him in the week leading up to the game to be less conservative.

"It just comes down to playing football," Smith said. "You're not a robot out there — and at times I was playing like a robot. … Sometimes you've got to improvise, so I think that's what Marty was speaking of."

Coach Rex Ryan suggested that perhaps he was to blame for Smith's mechanical tendencies because he relentlessly preached to Smith to not turn the ball over.

"Maybe when you look back on it," Ryan said, "maybe I did a poor job of that, of just stressing it. And maybe that took away from us a little bit. So I'm obviously the guy responsible for that."

Smith said he doesn't blame Ryan.

"In my mind," he said, "I just go out and execute the plays that are called. I love to throw the ball, obviously, as a quarterback. I like to challenge the defense and go out there and compete. But there's times where you need to be conservative, and there's others where you should go out there and let it fly."

The Jets also went with more no-huddle plays than usual against the Raiders, giving Smith the freedom to improvise and call an audible with a faster tempo. The Jets took an early 10-0 lead for their first double-digit advantage since they led Atlanta, 27-14, in the fourth quarter Oct. 7.

The Jets could use another fast start against a Carolina team that is 5-1 at home and has allowed visitors an average of only 10.3 points. Of course, the Panthers may know a thing or two about defending against a mobile signal caller, considering third-year pro Cam Newton is their starting quarterback.

"We have some read option plays that we've ran and we've been successful with," Smith said, "so [the Panthers] are going to game plan for us and I expect it. It comes down to us executing. As long as we just prepare ourselves for the tough game that we're about to face, the tough team that we're about to face and we go out and execute, I think we'll have a pretty good chance."

Email: pelzman@northjersey.com

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/sports/235525101_Jets_QB__I_was_playing_like_a__robot__I_was_like_a__robot_.html?page=all#sthash.RNerSxs7.dpuf

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach Rex Ryan suggested that perhaps he was to blame for Smith's mechanical tendencies because he relentlessly preached to Smith to not turn the ball over.

"Maybe when you look back on it," Ryan said, "maybe I did a poor job of that, of just stressing it. And maybe that took away from us a little bit. So I'm obviously the guy responsible for that."

What? No. Come on. No.

this is a ******* joke. he played like sh*t, plain and simple. the reason for that is that he most likely doesn't possess the right skill set to be a successful nfl quarterback. it's beyond ridiculous that moron rex ryan suggests that he might have been detrimental to geno because he told him not to turn the ball over. I hate rex ryan and I hate geno smith.

That sh*tty coach Rex Ryan, asking his QB to reduce the turnovers.

DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite the contrary! I Many of us Rex detractors have been dead wrong about how much Rex truly does understand about offense.

Absolutely brilliant, I mean genius of Rex to know that Geno is committing too many turnovers. I fully expect this to be the stepping stone Geno has needed to lead us to a real NFL offense.

Rex has earned my confidence that he is going to develop a big time offense here in no time at all!

Quite the contrary! I Many of us Rex detractors have been dead wrong about how much Rex truly does understand about offense.

Absolutely brilliant, I mean genius of Rex to know that Geno is committing too many turnovers. I fully expect this to be the stepping stone Geno has needed to lead us to a real NFL offense.

Rex has earned my confidence that he is going to develop a big time offense here in no time at all!

Say it again.

DEAD WRONG!!!!!

Geno interviews like a robot, too. Same M.O. as Sanchez -- just keep regurgitating the same old script.

Not even close. Sanchez interviews like a petulant child with wandering eyes, all shucks persona, stupid grins and constant shrugs. An immature Cali kid with zero leadership skills.

Geno has a dead straight on persona who carries himself with all the right body language, stature and eye contact.

Te actual words they speak is like EVERY NFL player. They're all taught what to say, not how to say it

Granted the sh*tty production is the same thus far, not saying Geno has what it takes but his mental make up and how he holds himself and responds to the media is light years from what I saw from Sanchez for 4 years.

Not even close. Sanchez interviews like a petulant child with wandering eyes, all shucks persona, stupid grins and constant shrugs. An immature Cali kid with zero leadership skills.

Geno has a dead straight on persona who carries himself with all the right body language, stature and eye contact.

Te actual words they speak is like EVERY NFL player. They're all taught what to say, not how to say it

Granted the sh*tty production is the same thus far, not saying Geno has what it takes but his mental make up and how he holds himself and responds to the media is light years from what I saw from Sanchez for 4 years.

Besides that who wants to see a grown man with a headband.

Archived