Smith: I was playing like a robot

flgreen

I'm pretty sure this is Rex saying whatever is necessary to take the pressure off his players, and place it all on himself like he has done for the last 5 years, Rex believes if all the critical attacks are directed at him, then his players will feel less pressure, like it, or not this has always been a huge coaching strategy of his. I think that comment was said with that intention.

Now the big question is does this extend into the locker room, Rex has to hold players accountable when they are not executing properly, and the it's my fault comments need to be just for show in the media, but privately players need to know they are at fault, and it needs to be fixed, or you will find the pine!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even close. Sanchez interviews like a petulant child with wandering eyes, all shucks persona, stupid grins and constant shrugs. An immature Cali kid with zero leadership skills.

Geno has a dead straight on persona who carries himself with all the right body language, stature and eye contact.

Te actual words they speak is like EVERY NFL player. They're all taught what to say, not how to say it

Granted the sh*tty production is the same thus far, not saying Geno has what it takes but his mental make up and how he holds himself and responds to the media is light years from what I saw from Sanchez for 4 years.

Different styles, same substance -- of lack thereof.

I don't know where this idea came from that Smith played well in the beginning of the season, or has been on a roller coaster ride until a month ago.  Lets look at his QBR for the first 10 weeks.

I know that most of you know how the QBR works, but for those who don't it is a complicated formula on a scale of from 0 to 100.  Much like school test scores.

Here's his QBR for the first 8 games.

1) 48.5

2)15.0   3) 85.8   4) 7.8   5) 73.2    6) 6.5   7)38.9    8)4.1

One really good week  85.8    one Good week  73.2

The rest are pure garbage.   Smith is having an extremely crappy season.  Rookie or not that is a very bad performance even in the beginning of  the season.  Some of them are unbelievably bad 

I don't know where this idea came from that Smith played well in the beginning of the season, or has been on a roller coaster ride until a month ago.  Lets look at his QBR for the first 10 weeks.

I know that most of you know how the QBR works, but for those who don't it is a complicated formula on a scale of from 0 to 100.  Much like school test scores.

1) 48.5

The rest are pure garbage.   Smith is having an extremely crappy season.  Rookie or not that is a very bad performance even in the beginning of  the season.  Some of them are unbelievably bad 

You can argue Smith's poor play in other ways, but using QBR is weak as it's mostly a garbage stat to begin with.  This is the same system that handed Dan Orlovksy and Tyler Thigpens, they of the 0-7 and 1-10 records respectively, to a better QBR than super bowl winning Ben Roethlisberger in 2008.

There numbers:

Orlovsky: 144-255 (56.1%) 1616 yards, 6.3 Y/A, 8 tds 8 ints. 72.6 QB rating, 47.98 QBR

Thigpen: 230-420 (54.8%) 2608 yards, 6.2 Y/A, 18 tds, 12 ints, 76.0 QB Rating, 47.67 QBR

Roethlisberger: 281-469 (60%) 3301 yards, 7.0 Y/A, 17 tds, 15 ints, 80.1 QB Rating, 46.82

While one of Big Ben's worst regular seasons, it's clear how much better his play was, something that the under-appreciated QB rating showed. If you look at Geno's QB ratings, you'll see that he had one great game (147.7), two good games(89.9 and 88.6), two solid games (80.6 & 79.2) and then some abysmal and subpar games.  

I don't know where this idea came from that Smith played well in the beginning of the season, or has been on a roller coaster ride until a month ago. Lets look at his QBR for the first 10 weeks.

I know that most of you know how the QBR works, but for those who don't it is a complicated formula on a scale of from 0 to 100. Much like school test scores.

1) 48.5

2)15.0 3) 85.8 4) 7.8 5) 73.2 6) 6.5 7)38.9 8)4.1

One really good week 85.8 one Good week 73.2

The rest are pure garbage. Smith is having an extremely crappy season. Rookie or not that is a very bad performance even in the beginning of the season. Some of them are unbelievably bad

Geno Smith, QB rating, first five games:

Peyton Manning, first five games:

this is a ******* joke. he played like sh*t, plain and simple. the reason for that is that he most likely doesn't possess the right skill set to be a successful nfl quarterback. it's beyond ridiculous that moron rex ryan suggests that he might have been detrimental to geno because he told him not to turn the ball over. I hate rex ryan and I hate geno smith.

it does not help that his best player on O is his center  give the kid a break

i don't know yet about Geno.

You know, earlier in the year I said I thought Geno handled himself very well, and better than Mex, when it came to interviews.  And, I really felt that way at first.  Then the seemingly mindless repetition completely flipped me.  We'll see...

That sh*tty coach Rex Ryan, asking his QB to reduce the turnovers.

DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it is SUPER DUMB. You want your QB to not make turnovers but concentrating on the turnovers creates the opposite effect. You want your QB to make plays. To play aggressively but smart. This is HUGELY different than negatively reinforcing your QB to not make a turnover which makes him more and more cautious. Timid QBs are easy to read and more likely to throw picks. You are dead wrong on this

1) 48.5

ive bashed Geno Smith alot but the 88 QBR in the last game possibly best game of the year. I really think Geno turned the corner. 

so he played ok against a team who stephen hawking could probably be playing for and you think he turned the corner?

flgreen said Geno sucks and has always sucked, and here's the early season numbers to prove it. He was wrong. The problem with Geno is that Rex got lucky in the Pats and Tampa games, got a hard on because the media was kissing his ass again, and decided that he could keep getting his ass kissed if only he could get the quarterback to be a net neutral player, which is when they stopped developing Geno and started trying to hide him. This is why Rex should have been fired in January. His job was to live through the ups and downs of developing a rookie quarterback. Instead, he elected to chase a pipe-dream playoff appearance.

flgreen said Geno sucks and has always sucked, and here's the early season numbers to prove it. He was wrong. The problem with Geno is that Rex got lucky in the Pats and Tampa games, got a hard on because the media was kissing his ass again, and decided that he could keep getting his ass kissed if only he could get the quarterback to be a net neutral player, which is when they stopped developing Geno and started trying to hide him. This is why Rex should have been fired in January. His job was to live through the ups and downs of developing a rookie quarterback. Instead, he elected to chase a pipe-dream playoff appearance.

part of this is true. the part where they tried to hide geno. but the reason, imo, is that geno was bad and is a bad qb in general

so he played ok against a team who stephen hawking could probably be playing for and you think he turned the corner?

the key data point isn't the quality of the Raiders. they blitzed a ton and Geno had a half second less than normal to throw compared to his yearly average. He had about 2.5 seconds in the Raiders game and the fact that he was making quick decisions is hugely important. 

Actually it is SUPER DUMB. You want your QB to not make turnovers but concentrating on the turnovers creates the opposite effect. You want your QB to make plays. To play aggressively but smart. This is HUGELY different than negatively reinforcing your QB to not make a turnover which makes him more and more cautious. Timid QBs are easy to read and more likely to throw picks. You are dead wrong on this

Then that player is a mental midget and shouldnt be in the league.

Negatviely reinforcing your QB to not make a turnover.  lmfao. 

the key data point isn't the quality of the Raiders. they blitzed a ton and Geno had a half second less than normal to throw compared to his yearly average. He had about 2.5 seconds in the Raiders game and the fact that he was making quick decisions is hugely important. 

It seems like some of the games this year, Geno has forgotten that he had legs.  When he uses them, it seems to loosen him up a bit.

Archived