Welp, free agency is so-so now, extend Mo and JK?

stoicsentry

With so many good players getting franchised and others re-signed, and with the higher cap than expected it does look like free agency will be a bit light this season. Granted, they will still sign a few good players but maybe not as many as we thought. If you don't spend, you don't get that money back for the cap either. So is it time to consider extending some guys like Mo WIlkerson and Jeremy Kerley after all? If we can't find a way to spend our $50m in cap room, how about frontloading those 2 some money on a contract extension? Is there anyone else you would be willing to extend?

Byrd, Verner, Davis and Worilds, Sanders etc. unless they agree to an extension before the 11th are URFAs or essentially URFAs (Worilds). Outside of Maclin, there's not a single FA that was signed to an extension or tagged that I really had any interest in pursuing.

Again, I'm not sure how extending Mo Wilk now makes the team any better.  The Jets, for lack of a better term, own him for the next few years at a very reasonable price. He has stated that he won't hold out, not that he'd have any leverage to, and if he performs again this year then I would imagine Idzik approaches him with a team friendly deal. 

While I like Kerley, what happens to him is going to be decided with how we approach FA and the draft this year: we very well could be drafting his replacement.  He's a very nice player, but I think we may be over-valuing him simply because he's the sole WR on the team who could start somewhere else.

There's still 100 FAs that are set to hit the market in a week, I would imagine would let that play out before we sink into the woe-is-me type despair.

This is actually working out great for the people that want McCown or Vick. Now if we have to overpay a little for either one, its no problem as obviously, the Jets are not spending big bucks on any of the few high price tags left.

We will easily outbid any team if we want either of these 2 guys that should be instant starters, and QB still is the MOST IMPORTANT position on the field.

Optimism should be running rampant on this board.

Who said anything about a backup?

I don't understand the hype around McCown. He was fantastic for that stretch where Cutler was injured, but his supporting cast was incredible. I just don't see him having the same success here, not to mention he's never had that success before. Great backup, would push Geno or whoever ends up starting, but he's just not a 'start anywhere' caliber of quarterback.

I don't understand the hype around McCown. He was fantastic for that stretch where Cutler was injured, but his supporting cast was incredible. I just don't see him having the same success here, not to mention he's never had that success before. Great backup, would push Geno or whoever ends up starting, but he's just not a 'start anywhere' caliber of quarterback.

It wont take much really to beat out Geno.

With so many good players getting franchised and others re-signed, and with the higher cap than expected it does look like free agency will be a bit light this season. Granted, they will still sign a few good players but maybe not as many as we thought. If you don't spend, you don't get that money back for the cap either. So is it time to consider extending some guys like Mo WIlkerson and Jeremy Kerley after all? If we can't find a way to spend our $50m in cap room, how about frontloading those 2 some money on a contract extension? Is there anyone else you would be willing to extend?

I think you're overreacting a little bit.  There's still plenty of available players that can improve the team rather dramatically.

- Emmanuel Sanders and Dexter McCluster at receiver.  Then add another one in the draft

- Pettigrew or Scott Chandler at TE.

- Jon Asomoah at G

- Byrd or Ward at S

- Vontae Davis at CB

Other than Byrd and Ward, none of those will command monster contracts.  But all of them make this team better. 

I don't hate Idzik. I am drawing conclusions based on his past behavior.

As has been mentioned to you a million times, one cap-strapped year hardly yields enough evidence to constitute a trend of past behavior.

As has been mentioned to you a million times, one cap-strapped year hardly yields enough evidence to constitute a trend of past behavior.

It's some evidence. Maybe not enough for statistical significance but it's some and that's more than none.  

all the idzik stuff aside the Jets aren't gonna spend big in FA because they are still too far away from a Super Bowl. 

It's some evidence. Maybe not enough for statistical significance but it's some and that's more than none.  

all the idzik stuff aside the Jets aren't gonna spend big in FA because they are still too far away from a Super Bowl.

If they're not in the playoffs this season, Rex loses his job. I don't think the organization sees themselves as that far from the Super Bowl. While I'd be a little surprised if the Jets broke the bank for Byrd or Decker, I'd be more surprised if they didn't bring in at least a few new starters in free agency.

If they're not in the playoffs this season, Rex loses his job. I don't think the organization sees themselves as that far from the Super Bowl. While I'd be a little surprised if the Jets broke the bank for Byrd or Decker, I'd be more surprised if they didn't bring in at least a few new starters in free agency.

Im too lazy to look it up but most Super Bowl winners are teams makes the playoff multiple times (loses) and then goes to the big show (if they are lucky). the Jets have to make the playoffs and earn that experience before Idzik feels like they are just a couple of FA pieces away and makes a run at it. Like the Percy harvin pickup which seemed terrible all year but paid off in the one game at the end. The Jets can make the playoffs next year but their SB window probably doesn't open in earnest until the year after (best case). 

While I'd be a little surprised if the Jets broke the bank for Byrd or Decker, I'd be more surprised if they didn't bring in at least a few new starters in free agency.

btw we are saying the same thing here. I didn't say they wouldn't bring in anyone. I said they weren't gonna be big spenders. they might bring in Kenny Britt and Vick and those guys might be starters.  

the way we will know  is how long they wait after the FA period opens. If Idzik sits out the first 2 weeks or so, he's not a big spender.

Well they added 3-4 new starters in FA last year and they spent nothing - plus a RB by trade and had around 4 draft picks start.  The starting TE, the right side of the offensive line and both OLB are FAs.  Reed came in mid-season started the whole thing and is a FA.  The opening day starter at LG is a FA and Winters did not look particularly good.  They are going to cut a starting CB, WR and a QB that many think was winning the "competition."   Possibly an ILB too.  Other slots, like S & WR2, are so weak they can easily be filled with FAs.  I'm not saying Idzik will go bargain basement, but they can find 7-8 deserving starters with near vet min deals. They can actually improve by doing that, but I hope they go a little harder.       

Sh*tty. Woodley is a possibilty for a short-term deal, still has some left in the tank, but again, not the direction I'd like the organization to go.  Would prefer to go after verner or davis. 

Steelers signed OLB Jason Worilds to a one-year, $9.754 million contract.
Worilds was slapped with the transition tag Monday. No offer sheets can come Worilds' way now. Per CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, Worilds and the Steelers have made progress toward a long-term deal, and that remains the goal for both parties. Worilds and Brian Orakpo were set to be the most coveted 3-4 edge rushers in free agency. Orakpo was franchise tagged and would cost two first-round picks to sign away from Washington, and Worilds is now locked in with Pittsburgh. OLB LaMarr Woodley is now expected to be cut by the Steelers.

Werent you the "no such thing as rebuilding" guy? Now you actually buy and state the too far away nonsense? A booooo.

Remember when we were "trending up" because we lost three in a row and then won one, and the Panthers were "trending down" because they'd won eight in a row and then lost one? GTs, man.

Archived