NFL Might Experiment with 42-yard extra point attempt

flgreen

Report: NFL might experiment with 42-yard extra-point attempt

ap713803089120.jpg?w=600&h=375

The necessity of extra points after touchdowns has become a hot topic during the offseason. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

The NFL has discussed experimenting with a longer extra point during the preseason, reports NFL.com’s Judy Battista.

According to the report, the league’s competition committee held preliminary talks last weekend and discussed placing the ball at the 25-yard line for the kick, which would essentially make every extra point a 42-yard attempt.

Currently, the ball is placed at the two-yard line on extra-point attempts.

In 2013, kickers missed only five of 1,267 extra-point attempts, a 99.6 percent success rate. Twenty-seven kickers hit 100 percent of extra-point attempts last season.

BURKE: 2014 NFL franchise tag tracker

In January, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the competition committee might eventuallyget rid of extra points in favor of a revised scoring system.

More from NFL.com:

The conversion rate of field goals between 40 and 49 yards last season was 83 percent. The last time the extra-point conversation rate regularly fell below 90 percent was in the 1930s and early 1940s. That would surely give coaches something to ponder when weighing whether to kick for one point or try for two, with the success rate for two-point conversion attempts typically around 50 percent.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/03/03/nfl-experiment-extra-point-attempts-longer/

The game will eventually turn to suck. So close already. 

Disagree that this particular change would contribute to that. 

The longer extra point kick is actually something I was in full support of in another thread about this. FG kicks matter, they add suspense and drama to the overall NFL product. Making XP kicks long enough where missing is an actual possibility, it makes every kick matter. It adds another wrinkle of suspense to the game. 

I like it.

Letting QBs throw for 500 yards a game? Now that, that is something I think supports your point in every way.

If this is the case, go for 2 every time.

For every 2 TDs you score:

If you kick the XP every time, the odds in scoring 2 points is 68.9% (83% each time)

If you go for 2 every time, to get 2 points (one out of 2) is 75% (success rate is around 50%). Even

if the success rate was 43% it would be worth going for 2 because it should be a wash but you have a chance for more points.

Really, is there much of a point in going through the formality of actually kicking it from the 2 yard line? Over the past decade I'm sure the league average is over 99%. Is there even one missed XP every other week? And the odds of that XP making a difference in a final score on top of that?

I say do it. At least push it back to the 20, anyway.

Really, is there much of a point in going through the formality of actually kicking it from the 2 yard line? Over the past decade I'm sure the league average is over 99%. Is there even one missed XP every other week? And the odds of that XP making a difference in a final score on top of that?

While I'm fine with the concept of pushing the attempt back to some degree, pushing it back so far kind of contradicts the entire concept behind the extra point.  The idea is that it's purposely designed to be much simpler, and with a much higher success rate, than any other potential scoring attempt as it is also awarded the least amount of points of any score in the game (and the least amount possible for that matter).  To push it out that far is going to a range of what starts to be considered a more difficult field goal attempt, and I'm sure is further than the majority of field goals in the NFL, but at a fraction of the potential reward.  Not sure how exciting it's supposed to be that the team has a possibility of losing a game on the basis of the increased odds of shanking on a play that gives so little potential reward in return.  Forget whether it happens to the Jets, in any game it happened in I think it would be worth more of an eye roll than an expression of excitement.  You know, unless of course it happened to the Pats, Phins, or Bills.

While I'm fine with the concept of pushing the attempt back to some degree, pushing it back so far kind of contradicts the entire concept behind the extra point.  The idea is that it's purposely designed to be much simpler, and with a much higher success rate, than any other potential scoring attempt as it is also awarded the least amount of points of any score in the game (and the least amount possible for that matter).  To push it out that far is going to a range of what starts to be considered a more difficult field goal attempt, and I'm sure is further than the majority of field goals in the NFL, but at a fraction of the potential reward.  Not sure how exciting it's supposed to be that the team has a possibility of losing a game on the basis of the increased odds of shanking on a play that gives so little potential reward in return.  Forget whether it happens to the Jets, in any game it happened in I think it would be worth more of an eye roll than an expression of excitement.  You know, unless of course it happened to the Pats, Phins, or Bills.

It was "purposely designed" that way back when kickers used to miss XPs about 20% of the time, back in the 1920s. If an extra point was kicked with a 99% success rate it would have been designed differently back then.

It's just something we're used to. Frankly it's stupid, and tradition is the only thing keeping it as-is at this juncture.

Weighing in the possibility of serious injury, if kicking from the 2, they might as well just award the full 7 points upon scoring the TD unless someone wants to go for 2.

It was "purposely designed" that way back when kickers used to miss XPs about 20% of the time, back in the 1920s. If an extra point was kicked with a 99% success rate it would have been designed differently back then.

It's just something we're used to. Frankly it's stupid, and tradition is the only thing keeping it as-is at this juncture.

Weighing in the possibility of serious injury, if kicking from the 2, they might as well just award the full 7 points upon scoring the TD unless someone wants to go for 2.

You agree with moving it back so far?

You agree with moving it back so far?

Sure, why not. If it's so automatic then there ceases to be much of a point. Or at least push it back to about the 18. I don't understand the 25 and making it a 42-yard attempt. Make it the 23 for an even 40-yard attempt.

Last year there were 1267 extra points attempted in the regular season. 1262 of them went through the uprights for a ridiculous 99.6% success rate. Tell me there's an actual purpose to running a play where there's a 99.6% chance of success.

While I get the general premise behind changing it, I think that gives reason to perhaps push it back into the 30s range (which saw plenty of misses).  I would be willing to bet that it's a pretty overwhelming majority of FG attempts that occurred inside of 42 yards this season, although frankly I'm too tired (and lazy) to bother figuring out the stats on that right now.  But simple logic tells you there's about twice as much yardage short of that spot than beyond that spot in which FGs are generally even attempted, so it's not such an unfounded premise.  Anyway, the point being that if you want to make it a more difficult process then that's one thing, but making it more difficult than the majority of attempts of the completely identical play which yields triple the number of points is a tad excessive.  Plus, I'm pretty sure even in the 20s when the XP rate was much lower, there wasn't more than half of all field goal attempts (or even makes) occurring from the 1-yard line.  After all, nobody is going to suggest pushing the two-point conversion attempt back beyond the distance in which 50% of TDs are scored.  An excessive example I admit, but the point is there's probably some sort of middle ground between simply making it not quite as automatic and taking it this far.

Plus I think this starts getting dangerously close to such idiotic concepts as basing the number of points scored from a FG on the number of yards away the attempt is, as soon enough a short FG attempt is deemed to no longer be worth 3 points.

While I get the general premise behind changing it, I think that gives reason to perhaps push it back into the 30s range (which saw plenty of misses). I would be willing to bet that it's a pretty overwhelming majority of FG attempts that occurred inside of 42 yards this season, although frankly I'm too tired (and lazy) to bother figuring out the stats on that right now. But simple logic tells you there's about twice as much yardage short of that spot than beyond that spot in which FGs are generally even attempted, so it's not such an unfounded premise. Anyway, the point being that if you want to make it a more difficult process then that's one thing, but making it more difficult than the majority of attempts of the completely identical play which yields triple the number of points is a tad excessive. Plus, I'm pretty sure even in the 20s when the XP rate was much lower, there wasn't more than half of all field goal attempts (or even makes) occurring from the 1-yard line. After all, nobody is going to suggest pushing the two-point conversion attempt back beyond the distance in which 50% of TDs are scored. An excessive example I admit, but the point is there's probably some sort of middle ground between simply making it not quite as automatic and taking it this far.

Plus I think this starts getting dangerously close to such idiotic concepts as basing the number of points scored from a FG on the number of yards away the attempt is, as soon enough a short FG attempt is deemed to no longer be worth 3 points.

I agree 100%. I can agree with the premise of making it harder but this is too extreme of a change.

I think that's a much better solution than moving extra points back to the 25, which I think is entirely stupid. From a "fan excitement" standpoint, it only adds excitement if it leads to teams going for 2 more often. A 42 yard one point play is not exciting.

I think that's a much better solution than moving extra points back to the 25, which I think is entirely stupid. From a "fan excitement" standpoint, it only adds excitement if it leads to teams going for 2 more often. A 42 yard one point play is not exciting.

It's only the most exciting idea ever.

While I get the general premise behind changing it, I think that gives reason to perhaps push it back into the 30s range (which saw plenty of misses).  I would be willing to bet that it's a pretty overwhelming majority of FG attempts that occurred inside of 42 yards this season, although frankly I'm too tired (and lazy) to bother figuring out the stats on that right now.  But simple logic tells you there's about twice as much yardage short of that spot than beyond that spot in which FGs are generally even attempted, so it's not such an unfounded premise.  Anyway, the point being that if you want to make it a more difficult process then that's one thing, but making it more difficult than the majority of attempts of the completely identical play which yields triple the number of points is a tad excessive.  Plus, I'm pretty sure even in the 20s when the XP rate was much lower, there wasn't more than half of all field goal attempts (or even makes) occurring from the 1-yard line.  After all, nobody is going to suggest pushing the two-point conversion attempt back beyond the distance in which 50% of TDs are scored.  An excessive example I admit, but the point is there's probably some sort of middle ground between simply making it not quite as automatic and taking it this far.

I don't see how all that stuff is connected. 

An extra point is a play. A play that results in adding to your team's score. It serves no purpose if it's so automatic. It can be relatively easy, as it's only 1 point, but 99.6% success means the play isn't worth running. 

Adding to one's score should either require completing a task that has a (realistic) possibility of failure or just award the point for free on the TD.  The extra point is arguably the dumbest, most senseless, most purposeless event in professional sports.

I don't see how all that stuff is connected. 

An extra point is a play. A play that results in adding to your team's score. It serves no purpose if it's so automatic. It can be relatively easy, as it's only 1 point, but 99.6% success means the play isn't worth running. 

Adding to one's score should either require completing a task that has a (realistic) possibility of failure or just award the point for free on the TD.  The extra point is arguably the dumbest, most senseless, most purposeless event in professional sports.

Or.... Baseball.

Don't like it.

Puts to much emphasis on kickers.

You'll have situations at end of games where teams are down by 7 points, have a great 80 yard drive for a TD, then the kicker will miss a 42 yard Point after attempt, and lose the game.

Just makes the non football play just to important, and negates a great football series for the TD 

I like the idea of pushing it back to the 12.5 yard line, the extra 10 yards should knock down the success rate to 90-95% which is a big enough difference IMO.

Archived