Jets (will maybe, someday) sign Brandon Pettigrew. Or not.

Favorite_Toon

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is wrong with Pettigrew?  I thought Detroit wanted him back.  I don't think having him should prevent the team from picking a TE, but I think having Cumberland/Pettigrew should keep them from HAVING to pick one. 

I do agree that the Jets probably don't need to pick a TE now, although with the depth at the position I hope they don't pass altogether if an opportunity to draft a guy like ASJ comes along. Even a joker TE like Gator Hoskins would be a nice addition in the late rounds.

As far as Pettigrew goes, since entering the league he apparently has the most drops in the league for a TE since entering that time span. Doesn't really get downfield in the passing game or offer much after the catch (pretty steadily around 10 YPC, couple years he was actually below that, best was his rookie year at 11.5). So the passing game contribution isn't exactly stellar since you're seeing a lot of drops from a guy who's not exactly creating chunk plays. And supposedly he's overrated as a run blocker as well - pretty good as a pass blocker but I'm not sure that's what we're really looking for in a TE.

I do agree that the Jets probably don't need to pick a TE now, although with the depth at the position I hope they don't pass altogether if an opportunity to draft a guy like ASJ comes along. Even a joker TE like Gator Hoskins would be a nice addition in the late rounds.

As far as Pettigrew goes, since entering the league he apparently has the most drops in the league for a TE since entering that time span. Doesn't really get downfield in the passing game or offer much after the catch (pretty steadily around 10 YPC, couple years he was actually below that, best was his rookie year at 11.5). So the passing game contribution isn't exactly stellar since you're seeing a lot of drops from a guy who's not exactly creating chunk plays. And supposedly he's overrated as a run blocker as well - pretty good as a pass blocker but I'm not sure that's what we're really looking for in a TE.

The idea is to not need to pick at any position, but not get so locked into a meh player that it removes the option of doing so.  One of the reasons I didn't like giving Austin Howard a giant contract.  Easy to upgrade from him but it won't happen with a huge deal.

What if some awesome RT prospect fell several slots to us? We're supposed to pass on him because we locked ourselves into Austin Howard until the 2017 season at the earliest?

The idea is to not need to pick at any position, but not get so locked into a meh player that it removes the option of doing so.  One of the reasons I didn't like giving Austin Howard a giant contract.  Easy to upgrade from him but it won't happen with a huge deal.

What if some awesome RT prospect fell several slots to us? We're supposed to pass on him because we locked ourselves into Austin Howard until the 2017 season at the earliest?

Is this supposed to be an argument or an agreement with my post? Maybe I didn't do a good job being clear but I wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying.

It's not, but probably a formality at this point. Idzik still has to take him out for a nice steak dinner, before he never calls him again.  It's a process. 

wonder who will be cut tonight while he is busy sharing the prime rib for two with pettigrew

Prime Rib with Pettigrew... Sounds like a cooking show for SNY.

i would love the rage levels tomorrow if schaub is let go and jets don't make an offer and manish posts a pic of pettigrew and idzik signing karoke at a bar in the village

Archived