DeSean Jackson's Redskins contract reveals why Jets didn't pursue him

Jetfan13

14418149-mmmain.jpg
DeSean Jackson got more guaranteed money from the Redskins than the Jets are giving Eric Decker. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group/MCT)
11356604.png By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com The Star-Ledger

Now that DeSean Jackson has signed with the Redskins—and reporters can stop staking out airports in cities all over the country—let's take a look at why the Jets were never serious players for his services.

True, there may have been concerns about Jackson's "character issues"—how he'd fit into the locker room, his reputation for tardiness and missing meetings, Chip Kelly just not being that into him, his penchant for certain hand gestures and for appearing in publicly available photos with certain friends, etc.

But the real devil appears to be in the details of Jackson's contract.

Ignore those reports of Jackson getting $24 million over three years, since neither figure means a thing, as his five-year, $48.5 million deal with the Eagles (signed in 2012) ought to make screamingly obvious.

Nope. This is the number that matters: The 'Skins are reportedly giving Jackson $16 million in guaranteed money. That's $1 million more in guarantees than the Jets are obligated to give Eric Decker, arguably the biggest free agent receiver available prior to Jackson's release.

If there's one thing this offseason has shown, it's general manager John Idzik's prudence when it comes to big contracts. Every deal the Jets have had printed up in recent weeks has been team-friendly—including Decker's. In fact, the guaranteed money in Decker's contract is all scheduled to be paid out in the first two years, thus allowing the Jets to part with him after 2015 if things don't work out—and with a cap hit ($4.5 million) that's lower than what they Eagles must eat this season ($6.25 million) for having cut Jackson loose.

Yes, Jackson is a fantastic receiver with the sort of breakaway ability an opposing defense must always account for. But once it became obvious there were plenty of other suitors for him soon after his release, there was no way the Jets were getting into a bidding war—especially after already handing out their biggest deal of the offseason to someone who plays the same position.

This is a horrible article as he didn't really enlightening us on anything. As anyone would know that it's fair for DeSean to be paid more then Decker. Not sure as to why that comes as a surprise. As for DeSean, he got a better deal then Decker as he only has one non guaranteed years in his contract compared to Decker's 3.

The point of the article is that we weren't going to give that much guaranteed $$$ to 2 guys at the same position. If Jackson had been released before Decker, Im sure we have signed him instead of Decker.

He's clearly better than Decker. I'm not sure why it's a surprise to anyone that he got more money. Idzik's style is rubbing off on the fanbase it seems. 

You would think with all the bitching and whining about player salaries on this board over recent times that people would be ecstatic to save Woody's money.

Santonio Holmes at his best is better than Decker too.

Santonio's best year was a half decade ago and those numbers are not close to Deckers best year which is rather recent.  Holmes only produced one 1,000 yd season. Holmes never had a double digit TD season, Decker has twice I believe. 

Santonio's best year was a half decade ago and those numbers are not close to Deckers best year which is rather recent.  Holmes only produced one 1,000 yd season. Holmes never had a double digit TD season, Decker has twice I believe. 

Peyton. And I like Decker....but Holmes strictly talent wise was a superior player imo.

Peyton. And I like Decker....but Holmes strictly talent wise was a superior player imo.

Decker had to get open, though not by very much, and he had to catch the ball. Holmes had one statistically good season his entire career. Most blame the Jets QB issue but lets not forget that he was virtually given way by the Steelers as well. If you can mention Peyton then I can mention that there was no productivity dropoff by the Steelers when he left.

Decker had to get open, though not by very much, and he had to catch the ball. Holmes had one statistically good season his entire career. Most blame the Jets QB issue but lets not forget that he was virtually given way by the Steelers as well. If you can mention Peyton then I can mention that there was no productivity dropoff by the Steelers when he left.

Jackson was actually given away by the Eagles though. That was my point. 

The day the Redskins make a smart decision with a free agent signing, it will be their first.

I think we should all sleep better at night knowing we bowed out of a sweepstakes that the Redskins won.

There was a time when the redskins were run by their owner, those days are long gone. Bruce Allen is in charge over there. If you look at that that team, they haven't made an Albert Haynesworth type of signing for a long damn time. Fantasy Dan's reputation will probably never go away but unlike Jerry Jones, he actually recognized he's a  football moron and put a real football guy in charge. All this is to say just cause he signed with the Redskins doesn't make it a terrible signing. That's pre- 2009 logic. 

He is worth more than Decker and is a game changer, Decker is slow and gets shutdown

by good corners. I'd take D Jax over Decker.

Too late for that.  DeSean was not a FA until last week.  Let's keep the timeline straight and not delve into fantasy time travel.

There was a time when the redskins were run by their owner, those days are long gone. Bruce Allen is in charge over there. If you look at that that team, they haven't made an Albert Haynesworth type of signing for a long damn time. Fantasy Dan's reputation will probably never go away but unlike Jerry Jones, he actually recognized he's a  football moron and put a real football guy in charge. All this is to say just cause he signed with the Redskins doesn't make it a terrible signing. That's pre- 2009 logic. 

Is Allen truly in charge?  He had no control of personnel when Shanahan was hired and now this.  This Jackson signing has Danny's fingerprints all over it.  I'm not ready to agree with your statement.  To be fair, the Redskins have been mired in a 38M cap penalty so Danny boy hasn't had a chance to rear his ugly head...until now possibly.  Time will tell but you're right about one thing - when Allen was hired, flashy signings went out the window as he immediately addressed each line of scrimmage that was neglected under Snyder's part-time hobby.

Good post.

When the Skins are not capped out by previous debacles, they never seem to disappoint with their poor moves regardless of what name is on the door.  Dan Snyder still loves the shiny new toy.

we just relieved ourselves of one pinhead WR.  Did we really have to bring in another one?  I do not think that a guy's negative influence on a team is secondary to his performance.  Who cares if he catches 80 balls but every young guy in the locker room starts behaving like a jerk.  The final result will be poor, team-wise

we just relieved ourselves of one pinhead WR.  Did we really have to bring in another one?  I do not think that a guy's negative influence on a team is secondary to his performance.  Who cares if he catches 80 balls but every young guy in the locker room starts behaving like a jerk.  The final result will be poor, team-wise

do agree with this generally and Cimini's point was a valid one if the Jets have any interest in building something long lasting, they can't just roll with Vick and Desean playing street ball. As fun as that might sound it won't end well.  

but from the Eagles perspective this could really bite em. on a 2 year deal desean plays em 4x. With potential for playoffs. 

Jackson was actually given away by the Eagles though. That was my point. 

Jackson would have been the best player on the entire team if the Jets had signed him.   

8M / yr for 2 years is cheap for a game changer.   Who knows if it was possible but I would have liked to see a contract that paid Jackson but protected the Jets in the case of thuggery or incarceration. 

Archived