print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the League writer
  • Published: May 9, 2014 at 03:04 p.m.
  • Updated: May 9, 2014 at 03:14 p.m.

The Buffalo Bills moved quickly Friday to thin their crowded wide receivers corps.

The San Francisco 49ers acquired Bills receiver Stevie Johnson for a mid-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported. ESPN first reported the news.

The pick is a conditional fourth-rounder that could become a third-rounder, according to a source.

Johnson is a good fit in San Francisco, which was searching for a third receiver to complementMichael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin. While Johnson doesn't have the blazing speed general manager Trent Baalke was looking for, his ability to run option routes should be a boon for quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

So, Buffalo traded their 2014 first, 2015 first, 2015 fourth and Stevie Johnson... in return for Sammy Watkins and a conditional 4th next year.

Cancel out the 4ths... and it's 2 first rounders and Stevie Johnson for Sammy Watkins.

LOLZA

So, Buffalo traded their 2014 first, 2015 first, 2015 fourth and Stevie Johnson... in return for Sammy Watkins and a conditional 4th next year.

Cancel out the 4ths... and it's 2 first rounders and Stevie Johnson for Sammy Watkins.

LOLZA

The Bills brain trust hasn't figured this out yet.  Give them time.

LOLZA

Johnson had some injury issues last year which limited his production but he's only 27 and the three previous seasons he averaged 75 catches, 1000 yards and 7 TDs.

What kind of numbers does Watkins have to put up to make this trade look good for the Bills? I'm thinking 100 catches, 1500 yards and 12 or more TDs. 

Johnson had some injury issues last year which limited his production but he's only 27 and the three previous seasons he averaged 75 catches, 1000 yards and 7 TDs.

What kind of numbers does Watkins have to put up to make this trade look good for the Bills? I'm thinking 100 catches, 1500 yards and 12 or more TDs. 

Pretty much, yes.

LOLZ

RIght???    What a complete turd sandwich 

Let's not forget another little factor in all of this: Johnson is the one WR in the NFL who throughout his entire career has pretty made Revis his personal bitch, and yet the Bills go ahead and trade Johnson away right after Revis returns to the division.  I'm faaaar from being amongst the biggest Revis fans on this board, but I wouldn't bet on Watkins having anywhere close to the level of success against him that Johnson has had.  Sure it's just one example against one team, but when that team is your biggest road block to the playoffs, it becomes that much more important.  Plus I'm sure that same logic will apply to most other teams as well, at least in the immediate future.

Had to happen after the trade for Watkins.

I'm surprised you guys think so highly of Johnson, the guy drops easily catch-able passes and for all his amazing route-running 'skillz', he wasn't always on the same page with his QB. The guy is a pretty run of the mill WR. Yeah, he had a good game against Revis but then so did Ted Ginn. He is also a 'diva' that thinks a little too highly of himself, and i'm sure the coaches there must have been wary of having a tool like him around all those young WRs.

They will be a better offense without him.

Archived