Michael Irvin and Cris Carter assess Stephen Hill

T0mShane

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irvin and Cris Carter.  Another Mensa meeting and you guys are putting stock in it?  The one thing I will agree with is that he just does not look comfortable, but that is obvious to anybody.  My favorite gem is this one:

Speed is stride length and stride frequency.  We will we shorten his stride and he will be faster?  I understand that being a long strider means he will have less violent cuts, but c'mon.  The one thing the kid can do is run - let's **** with that!

He called it a "dumb comment", which it was.  Very different from calling you dumb.

It was a very dumb comment.  

In any event back, to the topic of the thread before T0m ruined it, Hill doesn't look like a football player, in the same way that Gholston didn't. That is hard to overcome with coaching, unless the guy has an insanely high work ethic.

Also, IRvin was talking about having sh*tty QB's. Nothing to do with system or coaching. sh*tty QB's have a greater negative impact on QB production then a doofus head coach. 

We're trying to have a conversation about why the Jets under Rex don't seem to produce good offensive talent and, predictably, the usual suspects want to turn another thread into a contest over who can make the wittiest "troll" jokes. The irony is that you'll all come back later and bemoan the lack of civil discourse on this board.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I know someone will) but didn't the Jets have the #1 rushing offense a few years ago? Doesn't that count as producing offensive talent? And they were top 5 the next year weren't they? Just because they Jets never have a top rated receiver or QB, which started LOOOOOONG before Rex got here, doesn't mean they haven't had good offensive players.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I know someone will) but didn't the Jets have the #1 rushing offense a few years ago? Doesn't that count as producing offensive talent? And they were top 5 the next year weren't they? Just because they Jets never have a top rated receiver or QB, which started LOOOOOONG before Rex got here, doesn't mean they haven't had good offensive players.

Not even the Curtis Martin Jets were ever tops in the NFL in rushing.  It's an obsolete title to have these days, just like having a top rushing defense, but it's certainly a good thing to have when you're attempting to develop a young QB.

Too bad Sanchez sucks.

#Conversation

In fairness to Sperm, maybe he just doesn't like you? :) I am probably the most hated guy on this board (yes, probably more than you). and me and Sperm have no issues because we're still bff's, even though he cant admit it publicly anymore. :)

I still have your picture on my bedroom ceiling.

In any event back, to the topic of the thread before T0m ruined it, Hill doesn't look like a football player, in the same way that Gholston didn't. That is hard to overcome with coaching, unless the guy has an insanely high work ethic.

Also, IRvin was talking about having sh*tty QB's. Nothing to do with system or coaching. sh*tty QB's have a greater negative impact on QB production then a doofus head coach.

Would agree here. Hill looked holy crap terrible from he start as did Gholston. Jets have a habit of taking guys who simply can't play for whatever reason.

Any "conversation" with you is impossible. Saying the same things over, and over, and over, and over again is not a conversation. You're as bad as stoicsentry. Just replace Idzik with Rex and that's you.

Once upon a time, stoicsentry was a huge Jets Homer who loved everything about the Jets...until he said something you people disagreed with, and instead of debating him on the topic, you bludgeoned him over the head and encouraged others to do the same until he became what he is today.

The End.

Once upon a time, stoicsentry was a huge Jets Homer who loved everything about the Jets...until he said something you people disagreed with, and instead of debating him on the topic, you bludgeoned him over the head and encouraged others to do the same until he became what he is today.

The End.

Sounds like your life philosophy centers on the idea that if someone sucks it's gotta be someone else's fault.

Though in your case it's very possible we created the monster. 

In fairness to Sperm, maybe he just doesn't like you? :)

If Sperm really didn't like me, he'd put together a spreadsheet detailing every WR drafted between 1975 and 1986, and loosely tie that in to how the lack of offensive talent on the 2014 Jets has nothing to do with Rex.

It's probably just easier to admit a player is a bust because he's a bust.  Trying to figure out why Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez and Stephen Hill fail despite a lot of raw talent is a depressing venture.  Easier just to say they all suck.  Every team deals with them, though ours tend to be more often and more painful.

The 2014 Jets actually have pretty good offensive talent right now.  Idzik >>> Tannenbaum.

It's probably just easier to admit a player is a bust because he's a bust.  Trying to figure out why Dewayne Robertson, Vernon Gholston, Mark Sanchez and Stephen Hill fail is a depressing venture.  Easier just to say they all suck.

The 2014 Jets actually have pretty good offensive talent right now.  Idzik >>> Tannenbaum.

I think it's good enough to do some damage here & there if Smith really turns into something. Amaro will make some plays but he'll probably need this year behind him before he's really good with some consistency (not uncommon). Hopefully we won't have to wait until year 3.

Clearly the team needs another WR to step up. That WR may be on the roster now or we may need to bring in someone else new next year. But even if the starter is just Nelson (or maybe as likely, a rotation of guys subbing in and out), there have been plenty-productive QBs who have had less to work with.

Hill? Lal's comment I think is pretty discouraging. Maybe saying something like that is just a motivation tactic, knowing it'll get back to Hill, but I doubt it. As an off the cuff reply, it sounded like his way of being diplomatic and fair to Hill rather than a criticism.

64350282-5E43-4C34-9206-D00CFC0B8CFD.jpg

This could've been a discussion about Hill, instead, you -once again- have to make it about Ryan. Like you do with everything. We get it, you don't like him. You need to get it, too, though: he's the coach here for at least this year. Harping on it only serves to make this place unbearable to read.

You're a smart and funny guy who should make this place better, not worse. You're making it worse.

If they can't at least look decent against that bad Giants team it could be an ugly season. 

Agreed...but the best thing would be fewer trolls for a few days as the agenda would be derailed if Coples had a couple sacks or Hill hauls in a TD. 

This could've been a discussion about Hill, instead, you -once again- have to make it about Ryan. Like you do with everything. We get it, you don't like him. You need to get it, too, though: he's the coach here for at least this year. Harping on it only serves to make this place unbearable to read.

You're a smart and funny guy who should make this place better, not worse. You're making it worse.

#Conversation

^This....I'm not even joking when I say TS used to be my favorite poster, and I get the frustration but the constant cyclical complaining has gotten tough.

The worst thing that could happen is for Hill to do anything to prevent himself from being cut. 

I'd say the worst thing that could happen is he doesn't get better...as a Jet fan I'd like to see him become the player the Jets drafted him to be when most people acknowledged the fact that he would be a several year project.  Again..that's coming from somebody who likes the Jets.

I'd say the worst thing that could happen is he doesn't get better...as a Jet fan I'd like to see him become the player the Jets drafted him to be when most people acknowledged the fact that he would be a several year project.  Again..that's coming from somebody who likes the Jets.

No the worst thing is that he gets more playing time to suck and hurt the offense that is bad to begin with. He's worse now than he was 2 years ago. If Idzik wasn't a complete incompetent and hadn't drafted 3 WR's won't contribute to the team AT ALL, Hill would probably already be gone.

The moderators make it worse by encouraging beatdowns of any dissenting opinion. There used to be a lot of lively conversation here--we had fans of every team that used to come in and debate. But, now, that's gone. They're gone. I was gone for two years here and when I came back, everyone was gone. At first I thought it was because the JI dudes chased them out. But it's not. It's you dudes. You've turned this place into a Skip Bayless acid trip.

The End.

Yeah, that's not exactly true.

Stoic was freaking out that we signed no major FAs after a day went by without signing Decker. At that point several people tried calming him down, talk with him and debate reasonably the state of the team.

Then we signed Decker.

For about 30 minutes he was sane again, only to then suddenly make up that cb was our biggest weakness. He then took that to every thread, including threads that had nothing to do with corner and/or needs. Then the Jets sucked because they didn't sign DeSean Jackson. And RB sucked, but signing CJ didn't improve the team. And cap room. Ohhhhh the cap room talk. People tried to explain that it rolls over and this team can't compete with Denver even with Revis and another big signing. But CAP ROOM CSP ROOM CAP ROOM.

It got old quick, so people started blasting him. THAT is how it really went down (and I still like stoic, even if he does make you wanna pull your hair out occasionally). But you know that and I'm wasting my time, so you have successfully got yet another one.

You magnificently brilliant SOB, you.

Sounds like your life philosophy centers on the idea that if someone sucks it's gotta be someone else's fault.

Though in your case it's very possible we created the monster.

I think I can get on board with Shane being your fault.

Archived