Hakim the new team project

House Jet

Saalim Hakim is NY Jets’ new project

MANISH MEHTA

11 Sep 11:11 PM

ED MULHOLLAND/GETTY IMAGES

Saalim Hakim returns the opening kickoff against the Raiders during Week 1.

Wide receiver/kick returner/gunner/occasional blitzer Saalim Hakim won the coveted DTP (Designated Team Project) Award this summer for being the rawest player on the Jets’ 53-man roster. He replaced failed DTP Stephen Hill, who blamed anyone and everyone not named Stephen Hill for his two-year flop.

The clock is already ticking on Hakim’s future with the Jets even though he has played just nine offensive snaps (in four games), a harsh reminder to DTPs everywhere that job security is a mirage.

Hakim is rough around the edges, a 5-11, 188-pound blur that seemingly violates the laws of physics. His frightening speed makes you wonder whether he’s wearing a red body suit with a yellow lightning bolt underneath his green-and-white uniform.

“He’s fast,” wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal told the Daily News. “You can underline and bold that . . . FAST. Very fast. He’s learning the position. He’s learning not only the nuances, but also route running, the little things and big things. He's raw.”

How raw?

“Like a green tomato,” Lal said with a laugh.

The NFL is sprinkled with unpolished physical freaks who are given small windows of opportunity to shine. Progress buys them more time. However, teams aren’t exceedingly patient in a win-now business where players at the bottom of rosters are routinely axed.

Hill’s failure to seize his chance opened the door for the undrafted 24-year-old Hakim, whose value as a kick returner and gunner on punts made him a more attractive option than the former second-round pick. There were a few factors that contributed to Hill’s disappointing two years, but the receiver himself was the biggest culprit.

NYDN looks ahead at Jets game vs Green Bay Packers

Manish Mehta and Seth Walder discuss the New York Jets' upcoming gave against the Green Bay Packers.

NYDN looks ahead at Jets game vs Green Bay Packers

NY Daily News

00:00 / 03:10

“Was there anything else I could have done?” Lal said of working with Hill. “Could I have worked harder with him? Could I have given him more individual attention? Could I have done anything different? I can look myself in the mirror saying I did everything I could and put all of myself into trying to develop him.”

Hill’s balky knees prematurely ended each of his first two seasons, but he came to training camp with a clean bill of health. His body may have finally been right, but his mind clearly wasn’t. Hill’s lack of a consistent fire and drive was apparent to anyone who watched him for the past two years. He foolishly blamed the media rather than take accountability for why the Jets gave up on him.

“Can he sustain whatever that level of concentration and will he had (in the first couple weeks of camp)?” Lal said. “Can he sustain that over the long haul? If so, then he has a chance to make it. . . . I wanted to finish the job. I wanted to be the guy who helped Stephen go to the Pro Bowl. And I’m sad that I don’t get to complete that. Definitely.”

Hakim is the Jets’ newest challenge, a burner with an unconventional path to the pros. He was a soccer standout for three years in high school before transferring to play organized football for the first time as a senior. He played running back and safety for one year at Palo Verde High School in Las Vegas before two seasons at a junior college in California. He transferred to Division II Tarleton State in Texas, where he ran two consecutive 4.2 40-yard dashes for scouts at his Pro Day.

“That opened up some eyes,” said Hakim, who played on the UFL’s Las Vegas Locomotives in 2011 for Jim Fassel. He bounced around from the Cowboys, Rams and Saints before the Jets signed him to the practice squad last October.

“I learned a lot of things being on those different teams,” Hakim said. “Bouncing around showed me what I needed to be able to do to make a team.”

He also took advice from brother Az-Zahir, a member of the Rams’ Greatest Show on Turf 15 years ago, who preached the importance of versatility.

ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Saalim Hakim is asking the right questions, steadily grasping the technical parts of playing WR.

“He told me that you got to go out there and play more than one position and be available at any position they need you at,” Hakim said. “And that’s what I'm here to do. I’m here to play any position they want me to play and learn.”

Hakim was promoted to the 53-man roster late last season after Hill landed on injured reserve. He barely played.

“He’s blazing fast with a lot of explosion,” Lal said. “He brings some strength to it’ too. He’s powerful. He does have some good release ability. To be fair, not every aspect is blatantly raw.”

He’s asking the right questions, steadily grasping the technical parts of playing wide receiver. Lal spends extra time after practice helping him polish basics like the proper way to position his body to track deep balls.

For now, Hakim is happy to be a Swiss Army Knife for Ryan, who used him as a de facto blitzing safety and deep cover man on a pair of defensive snaps in the season opener. He's willing to do anything to buy himself more time.

He knows the clock is ticking.

MOBILE USER? CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO

Promoted Stories

Pam Oliver Breaks Silence On Being Replaced By Fox Sports: 'I…

Hello Beautiful

NFL Wants Katy Perry To Pay To Play Superbowl Halftime

Playboy

Sarah Palin, Track Palin and Bristol Palin Involved in Drunken…

E! Online

Most NFL Players have Hot Wives...Here are the top 11

My Dot Comrade

The Godzone: This Kaikoura Region in New Zealand is Known as the…

Merrell

You’re unwittingly sabotaging your own fantasy team

The Kernel

Recommended by

More Articles

Mike Vick will no longer make weekly appearance with Mike Francesa

Mike Vick's weekly radio appearance on Mike Francesa's show on WFAN lasted exactly one interview. The Jets backup QB will not be a regular guest on the show going forward.

Jets running wild with plenty of depth in rushing attack

There was never true competition between quarterbacks Geno Smith and Michael Vick in training camp, but the best battle for touches in the Jets’ offense may be located in the team’s backfield.

Jets Insider: Dee Milliner likely to make start against Packers

Dee Milliner practiced on a limited basis the last three days of this week, but he looks ready to make his regular season debut against the Packers on Sunday at Lambeau Field.

Jets Insider: Dee Milliner may get A-OK to play vs. Packers

Cornerback Dee Milliner is increasingly likely to play in Sunday’s game against the Packers, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll start. “I feel pretty confident that he’ll be able to play,” Rex Ryan said Thursday.

Mehta: Saalim Hakim is Jets’ new project

Wide receiver/kick returner/gunner/occasional blitzer Saalim Hakim won the coveted DTP (Designated Team Project) Award this summer for being the rawest player on the Jets’ 53-man roster. He replaced failed DTP Stephen Hill, who blamed anyone and everyone not named Stephen Hill for his two-year flop.

It's a good story to follow, and he certainly seemed versatile.  I didn't notice he played on defense until articles came out mentioning it, so I guess that's a good thing.  I was listening to a couple of podcasts that mentioned the Packers had major trouble defending the Jet Sweep with Percy Harvin, so maybe we can use that a few times tomorrow.  Hakim, Saunders, and Chris Johnson all have the speed to pull it off, so it should give us some options on offense.  I love the infusion of speed onto the team, something we've lacked for many years.  

Great! A really fast, green wide receiver project. Did we not just cut Stephen Hill?

At least he plays special teams, although it would be nice if we could actually develop this team project. With his speed, if he learned how to catch a deep ball he could definitely blow the top off of a defense. It must be hard throwing to someone that fast on a fly route though. I'd imagine timing it up must be real tough.

Faster than Justin Miller was?

he's in the chris johnson league

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/STS-Saalim-Hakim-Gets-to-Show-His-Speed/6ac11d86-52da-4d34-a08a-ac494cedf39e

WR

Saalim Hakim is fast. How fast is he?

He’s so fast that when he ran the 40-yard dash for his Tarleton State Pro Day in March 2010, the scouts asked for a mulligan because they didn’t believe their watches.

He ran even faster the second time.

“I wanted to at least get a 4.1-something,” Hakim said in a no-big-deal manner. “I wanted to beat Bo Jackson’s time of 4.12, but I got a 4.23. It wasn’t what I was aiming for, but it happens.”

saalim-hakim-resized.jpg

To put that in perspective, Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson’s 4.24 at the 2008 NFL Combine hasn’t been matched since.

Project players on special teams make sense. Project players in the first 2 rounds of the draft is....

I'm sorry phone sucks I keep negative repping when I'm trying to hit quote. I owe you one too lol.

I was going to finish your sentence but it doesn't have much of a ring to it now. We got Tannenbombed.

he's in the chris johnson league

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/STS-Saalim-Hakim-Gets-to-Show-His-Speed/6ac11d86-52da-4d34-a08a-ac494cedf39e

WR

Saalim Hakim is fast. How fast is he?

He’s so fast that when he ran the 40-yard dash for his Tarleton State Pro Day in March 2010, the scouts asked for a mulligan because they didn’t believe their watches.

He ran even faster the second time.

“I wanted to at least get a 4.1-something,” Hakim said in a no-big-deal manner. “I wanted to beat Bo Jackson’s time of 4.12, but I got a 4.23. It wasn’t what I was aiming for, but it happens.”

saalim-hakim-resized.jpg

To put that in perspective, Tennessee Titans RB Chris Johnson’s 4.24 at the 2008 NFL Combine hasn’t been matched since.

How fast can Usain Bolt run the 40 yard dash?

....Even if one calculates the time at 36.6 meters it’s still an estimate, and most conclude 0.556 to 0.582 is realistic based on the time segment from 30m to 40m.

Adding 0.571 to the 3.63 time segment to get a 40 yard dash running time is about 4.20, and that includes no reaction time subtraction of the timer from the combine.....

http://www.freelapusa.com/how-fast-can-usain-bolt-run-the-40-yard-dash/

Faster than Justin Miller was?

I'm not sure how serious this was, but Justin Miller would not have been considered particularly fast in this year's Jets camp.  I think Miller ran a 4.42 at the combine and sat on it at his pro day.  Johnson, Hakim, Jacoby Ford, Gates, Hill, Reeves and Nick Taylor were all considerably faster.  Milliner ran considerably faster at the combine.  Idzik seems to emphasize speed.  There are a ton of guys as fast as Miller now. 

How fast can Usain Bolt run the 40 yard dash?

....Even if one calculates the time at 36.6 meters it’s still an estimate, and most conclude 0.556 to 0.582 is realistic based on the time segment from 30m to 40m.

Adding 0.571 to the 3.63 time segment to get a 40 yard dash running time is about 4.20, and that includes no reaction time subtraction of the timer from the combine.....

http://www.freelapusa.com/how-fast-can-usain-bolt-run-the-40-yard-dash/

... and Bolt is wearing spikes, running on a track leaving from blocks.  

... and Bolt is wearing spikes, running on a track leaving from blocks.  

I think they meant that factoring reaction time would make Bolt's time faster than 4.20, not slower. Combine 40 starts when the player starts, not when a gun is shot. From wikipedia, Bolt's reaction time was 0.165 seconds. So if you start adding to his assumed/calculated 40, to account for footwear or blocks, add to 4.035 not 4.20.

I couldn't quantify how much less time the starting blocks cut from Bolt's first 40 yards, other than if it wasn't significant then sprinters wouldn't use them. 

Only real way to know was for Bolt to have run a regular 40 time back at his peak. Would have also served as true baseline to compare football combine 40 times, though the fastest 100m guy doesn't necessarily run the fastest 40-yarder either.

Hopefully one of these guys does it one day, but I wouldn't hold my breath as there's nothing in it for them to do so. Then again if one of these world class sprinters did run one without a gun start, spikes, or blocks, and if it was run at like 4.08 or something, people talk about that guy forever.

Archived