Lots of hate for Idzik today on a national level

AFJF

Bingo - to blame Idzik is the lazy way out. How do you call for firing a GM in the beginning of his second year. There is something very wrong with the culture of Rex Ryan and i love Ryan but it's over. Davis' comments say it all.

I feel the same way. I've been one of Rex's biggest supporters, but he has completely lost me. The team was lifeless on Sunday. They and Rex looked like they don't care.

Then the story of Geno missing meetings comes out, and he isn't disciplined at all for it. Davis's comments were the final nail. This team is seriously dysfunctional. Rex has to be fired.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's curious is our draft process is identical to when Tannenbaum was here. Reach on needs after the second round. Pigeon hole rounds for players(Mcdougle, Saunders). I think Rex has his full hand in scouting the defensive personnel while Bradway puts together the offense. Idzik was brought in here to clean up the overspend/championship push by Tannenbaum/Rex and Tannenbaum's the fall guy for the fans to feel at peace. Rex gets a redo because he's more likeable/colorful than Tannenbaum. And Woody gets to parade around saying stuff like "build through the draft" and "reserves" like fans will buy into it.

I think our first round pick would have been Fuller, Pryor or Dix regardless. When's the last time we went offense since Rex was here? Sanchez? lol...for christs sakes.

What's curious is our draft process is identical to when Tannenbaum was here. Reach on needs after the second round. Pigeon hole rounds for players(Mcdougle, Saunders). I think Rex has his full hand in scouting the defensive personnel while Bradway puts together the offense. Idzik was brought in here to clean up the overspend/championship push by Tannenbaum/Rex and Tannenbaum's the fall guy for the fans to feel at peace. Rex gets a redo because he's more likeable/colorful than Tannenbaum. And Woody gets to parade around saying stuff like "build through the draft" and "reserves" like fans will buy into it.

I think our first round pick would have been Fuller, Pryor or Dix regardless. When's the last time we went offense since Rex was here? Sanchez? lol...for christs sakes.

We keep hearing about Seattle because Idzik worked there. But we fail to recall is he didn't make the final decision there, he was a bean counter. But remember they didn't let signing matt Flynn stop them from drafting Wilson. This has to be priority #1 and instead the jets are taking guys at positions they already have some if limited depth. And they're reaching. Millner and McDougal were injury prone in college. Why do you go there instead of a QB?

Don't trust this team to groom a rookie qb.

Tanny understood. Went for Favre and got caught making out with Manning behind Sanchez's back. Then he pulled a Kobe and got Sanchez an "oops" present in the form of an obscene contract....

They need to overhaul the scouting department.  How Terry Bradway is still around with his utter failure to identify any mid-round talent is baffling.

To be fair to Terry, he was the only guy that wanted to draft Russell Wilson and he was so adamant in drafting him that he was known around the Jets facility at the time as Terry Wilson.  I think all these junks that we drafted over the last couple of years was Idsik trying to be cute picking all these players with terrible grades coming into the draft.  How in hell will you draft a 160 PUNT RETURNER ahead of two first round grade WRs in Bruce Ellington and Bartavis Bryant or Dester McDougle over Donte Moncrief.

Everyone wants to trash Idzik, because Idzik is a faceless boring office drone, and is not winning a title in his 2nd year after being forced to keep Rex and many of "Rex's guys".

Everyone (seems, IMO) to want to protect Rex Ryan, the REAL problem of this franchise today, because he is a like-able, entertaining clown-car of a quote-dropping car wreck, because he's fun, he sells NY papers and he wins over gullible fans who like rah rah college-style bullsh*t.

It's a joke.

The problem is not how the team is built the last year and a half or planned going forward, or how we operated last offseason, we operated the right way, signing BAP veterans at positions of need (#2 QB, #1WR, #1RB), and drafting to fill other positions considered to be lesser need (#2 CB, #1 Safety, #3/#4 WR). we didn't overspend, we didn't go all Dan Snyder, we held back some to build for the future while trying to put a competitor on the field now.

Had Geno not been a total crock of sh*t, we might just have been ok. Had we not lost BOTH Milliner and the Rookie CB, we might have been ok.

It's the clown Head Coach, and the 2nd round pick nobody QB that was best available in a bad lot and forced to play because Rex's OTHER guy was such a colossal failure.

It's stunning to me the mass-effort to protect Rex from Rex's record, and to blame anyone and everyone for the problems OTHER than the guy most culpable for them, Rex Ryan.

You're right that we didn't over spend and addressed some of the issues - but what happens when the 1WR goes down and the totally unproven Milliner and rookie CB go down?  - you're looking at it and it doesn't look or taste good.

To think that a rook CB is going to come in and save the day in a sewage pit of a backfield is irresponsible and leaving the WR corps with one bonafide deep threat is equally irresponsible.

Rex is a buffoon on many levels but the silk purse out of sows ear with $20 + million in the till fantasy ain't working out and that's on John Idzik. 

You're right that we didn't over spend and addressed some of the issues - but what happens when the 1WR goes down and the totally unproven Milliner and rookie CB go down?  - you're looking at it and it doesn't look or taste good.

To think that a rook CB is going to come in and save the day in a sewage pit of a backfield is irresponsible and leaving the WR corps with one bonafide deep threat is equally irresponsible.

Rex is a buffoon on many levels but the silk purse out of sows ear with $20 + million in the till fantasy ain't working out and that's on John Idzik. 

Oh - forgot to mention another commendable use of the $20 million - having an O line of such depth that Brian Winters is a starter - the stuff dreams are made of ~

I can't believe how many of you want to keep Rex for a 7th year, given where we stand today.

Is there ANY point at which you would hold Rex responsible for the performance of his team?

Two years of winning with the last Coaches guys, then four strait years of non-playoffs and three years of barely being competitive.

A worse team every year in the last four that the year before.

Repeated Jets blowouts where the team simply called it in/gave up on Rex.

An utterly inept Offense for most of six years.

A Defense who invariably drops the ball at the most vital moment of every game.

Repeatedly the same lack of discipline over and over, stupid available penalties, misuse of timeouts, over loyalty to certain players, etc.

Bill Cowhers First 7 seasons:

11-5 - Made Div.Playoffs

9-7 - Made WC Playoffs

12-4 - Made AFCCG

11-5 - Made Super Bowl

10-6 - Made Div. Playoffs

11-5 - Made AFFCG

7-9

Cowher didn't have a losing or non-playoff year season till his 7th year.  That's a lot of equity.

Rex's First Six Season:

9-7 - WC, Made AFCCG

11-5 - WC, Made AFCCG

8-8

6-10

8-8

1-4 and going down fast

These are NOT equal records, and consistency for consistency sake alone is a horrible way to run a team.

How can you watch this team and want it's main architect and leader back again?

How can you desire mediocrity, indiscipline, disappointment and embarrassment so much?

And most of all, how can you continue, six years in, to blame every OTHER member of the franchise, from the Owner to the Ballboy (literally), yet leave Rex Ryan blameless and desire him back for even more?

I am at a complete loss over how any Jets Fan can hold this view, and want Rex back for a 7th year, given the last four.

Wow...not a Stephen A. Smith fan but just saw him trash Idzik on ESPN, then saw this article come up on twitter from King's MMQB.  Unless he told Woody ahead of time that the team was going to suck for the next couple of seasons, he may find himself out of the job after only one true off-season based on how cash-strapped they were last year.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/06/new-york-jets-mess-rex-ryan-john-idzik/

That has been my assumption all along, was that Idzik told Woody that this was a Seattle like 3-4 year rebuild. Woody's main culpability in this was demanding Rex stay when interviewing GMs. 1- we didnt get best of crop of GM candidates, they said FU to Woody, and 2- Idzik rolled dice to get GM gig but rumor was he wanted Sea OC Bevell all along as well.

I think main reason we have all that cap is Idzik telling Woody 2015/16 are years we will be SB run worthy and 2014 is a 'maybe make a WC run, but not good enough for SB run, so save cap for holes on team in 2015  (after we use 2013/14 as Evaluation years) cause he 'thinks' we may be 'ready'.

That has been my assumption all along, was that Idzik told Woody that this was a Seattle like 3-4 year rebuild. Woody's main culpability in this was demanding Rex stay when interviewing GMs. 1- we didnt get best of crop of GM candidates, they said FU to Woody, and 2- Idzik rolled dice to get GM gig but rumor was he wanted Sea OC Bevell all along as well.

I think main reason we have all that cap is Idzik telling Woody 2015/16 are years we will be SB run worthy and 2014 is a 'maybe make a WC run, but not good enough for SB run, so save cap for holes on team in 2015 cause he 'thinks' we may be 'ready'.

If Idzik had hit on this draft I would agree with you.  So far this draft looks like an abject disaster.   IMO Idzik's job is in just as much jeopardy as Rex's.  Jets are no closer to a Super Bowl run then when Idzik signed on.  

If Idzik had hit on this draft I would agree with you.  So far this draft looks like an abject disaster.   IMO Idzik's job is in just as much jeopardy as Rex's.  Jets are no closer to a Super Bowl run then when Idzik signed on.  

Rex in 90% danger zone,,Idzik danger zone depends a lot on who tehy get for new HC. If Woody deals on side w/famous bigname HC who demands his own GM/Personell guy, Idzik in bigger trouble. if no one worthy wants anything to do w/this Turd Stew, Idzik may be safer (SINCE Woody never gave him shot to bring in HIS guy (Bevell?) like Woody  SHOULD have when he hired a new GM :(

Watched the game again last night. Don't ask why. The team didnt give up at all. They were playing hard to the last whistle.

They just suck. That's all. Just not good. It's not a lack of effort at all.

The real shame after the rewatch wasn't just the WRs trying to get open but its the waste of the front 7. They're nasty. If they had any bit of a secondary this D would be ridiculous. They're a split second late almost every time the QB drops back and they don't get a sack. They were drilling Rivers and 2 of the biggest back breaking plays he made were lobs he just threw up feeling pressure and his WRs ran to the ball and made a play the secondary can't. Walls, Allen, Adams, Wilson - suck. All of them.

Watched the game again last night. Don't ask why. The team didnt give up at all. They were playing hard to the last whistle.

The real shame after the rewatch wasn't just the WRs trying to get open but its the waste of the front 7. They're nasty. If they had any bit of a secondary this D would be ridiculous. They're a split second late almost every time the QB drops back and they don't get a sack. They were drilling Rivers and 2 of the biggest back breaking plays he made were lobs he just threw up feeling pressure and his WRs ran to the ball and made a play the secondary can't. Walls, Allen, Adams, Wilson - suck. All of them.

Exactly what I thought...people saying that Rex has lost the team isn't watching the games, or is pushing an agenda.  They're still playing hard with a 31 point deficit.  Will they keep playing hard if this keeps up?  I have no idea.  Have they quit on Rex as some suggest?  Not even close.

I can't believe how many of you want to keep Rex for a 7th year, given where we stand today.

Is there ANY point at which you would hold Rex responsible for the performance of his team?

Two years of winning with the last Coaches guys, then four strait years of non-playoffs and three years of barely being competitive.

A worse team every year in the last four that the year before.

Repeated Jets blowouts where the team simply called it in/gave up on Rex.

An utterly inept Offense for most of six years.

A Defense who invariably drops the ball at the most vital moment of every game.

Repeatedly the same lack of discipline over and over, stupid available penalties, misuse of timeouts, over loyalty to certain players, etc.

Bill Cowhers First 7 seasons:

11-5 - Made Div.Playoffs

9-7 - Made WC Playoffs

12-4 - Made AFCCG

11-5 - Made Super Bowl

10-6 - Made Div. Playoffs

11-5 - Made AFFCG

7-9

Cowher didn't have a losing or non-playoff year season till his 7th year.  That's a lot of equity.

Rex's First Six Season:

9-7 - WC, Made AFCCG

11-5 - WC, Made AFCCG

8-8

6-10

8-8

1-4 and going down fast

These are NOT equal records, and consistency for consistency sake alone is a horrible way to run a team.

How can you watch this team and want it's main architect and leader back again?

How can you desire mediocrity, indiscipline, disappointment and embarrassment so much?

And most of all, how can you continue, six years in, to blame every OTHER member of the franchise, from the Owner to the Ballboy (literally), yet leave Rex Ryan blameless and desire him back for even more?

I am at a complete loss over how any Jets Fan can hold this view, and want Rex back for a 7th year, given the last four.

Who wants Rex back?

Saying that Idzik is worse != wanting Rex back

This team has been extremely talent deprived the last 2 years. That's the only fact here

Who wants Rex back?

This team has been extremely talent deprived the last 2 years. That's the only fact here

Bitonti for one.

You said it as well earlier.

Other have as well, but I can't be assed to search through to find them.

Fire Idzik after two season and embarrass this unprofessional franchise further if you really must......but ffs Rex MUST go at years end.

Rex in 90% danger zone,,Idzik danger zone depends a lot on who tehy get for new HC. If Woody deals on side w/famous bigname HC who demands his own GM/Personell guy, Idzik in bigger trouble. if no one worthy wants anything to do w/this Turd Stew, Idzik may be safer (SINCE Woody never gave him shot to bring in HIS guy (Bevell?) like Woody  SHOULD have when he hired a new GM :(

Agree with most of what your saying, Rex is in deep trouble.  Don't think  Bevell has  much do do with it one way or the other.

As you said,  Idzik sold Woody on a 15-16 scenario, building thru the draft.  The draft was awful, plan is not going well.  if Smith washes, as he will, they are behind where they were when Idzik came in.   If they are going to start from scratch, might as well start with a GM who know something about personel

Agree with most of what your saying, Rex is in deep trouble.  Don't think  Bevell has  much do do with it one way or the other.

As you said,  Idzik sold Woody on a 15-16 scenario, building thru the draft.  The draft was awful, plan is not going well.  if Smith washes, as he will, they are behind where they were when Idzik came in.   If they are going to start from scratch, might as well start with a GM who know something about personel

didnt mean to say beevell had anything to do with it,, just saying woody may realize he screwed up by not letting (like virtually every owner does) the new GM pick his coach..

idzik saved worse scrutiny by not picking geno in 1st like some suggested,,GMs dont usually get fired for 2nd round picks,,1st round busts, especially QBs,,,,watch out!!

yep

Even some of the Chargers players commented that the Jets played hard to the last whistle.  

Are you nuts re-watching that game?

Exactly what I thought...people saying that Rex has lost the team isn't watching the games, or is pushing an agenda.  They're still playing hard with a 31 point deficit.  Will they keep playing hard if this keeps up?  I have no idea.  Have they quit on Rex as some suggest?  Not even close.

It's not an issue of playing hard - they are playing poorly. Bad coaching bad play calling. They are play calling like they have elite players. No team has all elite players. They are not coaching to their strengths. How many times do we have to see one of his "exotic" blitzes that go nowhere other than leaving the secondary vulnerable - that's why those floaters were successful. The Jets defense  actually has done very well on 1st and 2nd downs only to be let down by the blitz on 3rd down. the offense should be Ivory Ivory Ivory Powell  with the occ pass.

Bitonti for one.

Fire Idzik after two season and embarrass this unprofessional franchise further if you really must......but ffs Rex MUST go at years end.

Ah, you're right. Let's give the drunkest guy at the party the keys to the car to drive us home. What could possibly go wrong? Fire everyone. Idzik. Rex. Bradway. Geno. Marty. The Janitor. Everyone must go and we must start anew.

Bitonti for one.

I said I wanted to keep Rex? Where?

Who wants Rex back?

This is how I feel, Idzik is actually worse than Rex, if that is even possible.

Rex is way too limited to ever be a real HC. He will have a good defense if you load him up with talent, but he has no discipline, and no clue on 2/3's of the game.

Both need to go ASAP, I am getting to old for this BS

It's not an issue of playing hard - they are playing poorly. Bad coaching bad play calling. They are play calling like they have elite players. No team has all elite players. They are not coaching to their strengths. How many times do we have to see one of his "exotic" blitzes that go nowhere other than leaving the secondary vulnerable - that's why those floaters were successful. The Jets defense  actually has done very well on 1st and 2nd downs only to be let down by the blitz on 3rd down. the offense should be Ivory Ivory Ivory Powell  with the occ pass.

Right, and there is a difference between playing poorly and quitting on your HC.  Worst thing that can happen to a HC is to have his players quit on him, which is why there are some people who don't like Rex who are making that claim.  I was simply pointing out the fact that the claim, as of today, is complete BS.

when we compare the Pittsburgh Steelers to the NYJ, it's worth noting that the Steelers have had historical success while the Jets have not. There are many reasons for that, to be sure, but it's not apples to apples. 

Exactly what I thought...people saying that Rex has lost the team isn't watching the games, or is pushing an agenda. They're still playing hard with a 31 point deficit. Will they keep playing hard if this keeps up? I have no idea. Have they quit on Rex as some suggest? Not even close.

People who hate Rex already made up their mind, so they will exaggerate things against Rex that is understandable. I watched the game and even 40 years old Pace left his heart on that field. D. Harris was going hard b4 he got injured. Our receivers are just not NFL starters, I could not see a single play either with Geno or Vicks where they separated more than 2 yards. Our secondary got exposed by a pro QB. A s 7th round safety converted into a CB and a backup inserted into starting role. Who were we kidding? That we had a chance to be 4-1 is simply remarkable with this roster.

Those 2011 and 2012 squads Tannenbaum put together were loaded. Everything was going to plan until Idzik got here and screwed it all up.

of those 2 guys, only one of them has fielded a competitive roster

Archived