Geno Smith Is Better Than Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington

Maxman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might prove to be a tough sell. Even for the people who live to hate Pennington.

It's not that I hated Chad (though his "it's a privilege to cover us" made me want to puke) it's just that he didn't have the physical tools to lead the Jets where we ultimately wanted them to go.  But you're correct that it's a tough sell to say Geno is better (or is going to be better) than Chad.  At least Chad was able to have some level of success (even if it was w/ a noodle arm and every scoring drive had to be a minimum of 13 plays).  Geno shows flashes but then has 3 games of complete duds.

Chad Pennigton was a seriously limited quarterback and embraced said limitations to the point that he failed to reach even his modest physical ceiling. And he's still better than Sanchez. Like right now.

It's not a real high bar Geno has to clear here and he's still bombing it. I don't hate the draft pick or coming into the season committed <b>or even giving him another nine games of live bullets because it's not like we've got anything better to do with the position for the rest of the season anyway</b>. But there's really no getting around it at this point.

What about Matt Simms?

Chad was by far the best QB. Although he'd be less effective in the modern day NFL. He was limited but consistently good enough to win games, which Sanchez absolutely was not. Geno is in his 2nd year and has the talent to be better than both but right now he's a bit of a trainwreck. 

Chad was the only one we developed well though, he was unfortunate with injuries. 

If Chad had Geno's arm the Jets would have probably won a Super Bowl. 

Arm strength wasn't Chad's only flaw.  We're talking about a guy who didn't win a single game in his career against a top defense.  We get it, its tough to win against tough defenses, but to never do it ONCE?  Unforgivable.  For Pete's sake, he threw 4 picks at home against the Ravens in his final postseason game.  He wasn't nearly as smart as some make him out to be. 

We're a bad franchise who outside of 11 games of Favre in '08 and Testaverde in '98 haven't been able to find anything close to greatness at the QB position since Namath.  The fact that we're arguing over which sh*tty QB was better and treating Pennington like he was a god in hindsight tells us all we need to know about this terrible franchise.

Arm strength wasn't Chad's only flaw.  We're talking about a guy who didn't win a single game in his career against a top defense.  We get it, its tough to win against tough defenses, but to never do it ONCE?  Unforgivable.  For Pete's sake, he threw 5 picks at home against the Ravens in his final postseason game. 

He wasn't nearly as smart as some make him out to be.

pre-injury he could beat any team..............most of us turned on him for the reasons you mentioned but that was after the injuries were affecting him.............he had no problem armwise throwing to moss at marshall.

pre-injury he could beat any team..............most of us turned on him for the reasons you mentioned but that was after the injuries were affecting him.............he had no problem armwise throwing to moss at marshall.

He looked terrible in that 2002-03 playoff game against the Raiders (21-47, 183 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT's) before any arm troubles presented themselves.  It's revisionist history to suggest his inability to throw the deep out was the ONLY thing preventing him from greatness.

Arm strength wasn't Chad's only flaw.  We're talking about a guy who didn't win a single game in his career against a top defense.  We get it, its tough to win against tough defenses, but to never do it ONCE?  Unforgivable.  For Pete's sake, he threw 4 picks at home against the Ravens in his final postseason game.  He wasn't nearly as smart as some make him out to be. 

We're a bad franchise who outside of 11 games of Favre in '08 and Testaverde in '98 haven't been able to find anything close to greatness at the QB position since Namath.  The fact that we're arguing over which sh*tty QB was better and treating Pennington like he was a god in hindsight tells us all we need to know about this terrible franchise.

Not on my ******* watch! **** Chad Pennington! **** him up his worthless, noodle-armed ass!

He looked terrible in that 2002-03 playoff game against the Raiders (21-47, 183 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT's) before any arm troubles presented themselves.  It's revisionist history to suggest his inability to throw the deep out was the ONLY thing preventing him from greatness.

actually i think that was the first game he was banged up in and it really became apparent when we played the bills the next year.

actually i think that was the first game he was banged up in and it really became apparent when we played the bills the next year.

Oh boo hoo.  The NFL is a man's game and Pennington wasn't a man.  Period.  If he didn't have the physical makeup to handle the game he was never going to be a great QB.  He's a rhode scholar so I'm sure he could have found himself an alternate profession rather than costing us $64 million.

Doubt I treat Penny as a god, but he was good. Would have been better with a good arm/shoulder 

Geno Smith Is Better Than Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington. Not combined. But if you measure the career of Geno vs Mark or Chad individually, Geno will prove to be better.

Just letting you all know.

Please adjust your records accordingly.

Sanchez, yes.

Pennington....lol, no.

But I guess I should applaud your optimism, eh?

Geno Smith Is Better Than Mark Sanchez and Chad Pennington. Not combined. But if you measure the career of Geno vs Mark or Chad individually, Geno will prove to be better.

On what do you base this supposition? Geno has certainly shown a Sanchez-like quality of throwing pick sixes. He certainly will stay healthier than the oft-injured Chad, but BETTER than Chad? Doubtful. Chad could read defenses instantly. Smith can't read a defense if you gave him all week.

Oh boo hoo. The NFL is a man's game and Pennington wasn't a man. Period. If he didn't have the physical makeup to handle the game he was never going to be a great QB. He's a rhode scholar so I'm sure he could have found himself an alternate profession rather than costing us $64 million.

1). Penny boy was the Jets best QB in the last 15 years.

2). He was not a Rhodes Scholar, he was a nominee.

1). Penny boy was the Jets best QB in the last 15 years.

2). He was not a Rhodes Scholar, he was a nominee.

Chad Pennington was awful in high-pressure games, his postseasons were brutal and that was with Hall of Fame running backs, legitimate WR's, and a Top 5 offensive line.

Mark Sanchez was at his best in high-pressure games, his postseasons were terrific and that was with free agent castoffs at skill positions and slightly-above-average protection.

Mark Sanchez was the best Jets QB in the last 40 years and he was run out of town by an embarassed owner who thought it was a way to placate his drunken fanbase. Worst decision in team history to let him go and let Idzik call the shots and Ryan overstay his welcome.

SAR I

Chad Pennington was awful in high-pressure games, his postseasons were brutal and that was with Hall of Fame running backs, legitimate WR's, and a Top 5 offensive line.

Mark Sanchez was at his best in high-pressure games, his postseasons were terrific and that was with free agent castoffs at skill positions and slightly-above-average protection.

Mark Sanchez was the best Jets QB in the last 40 years and he was run out of town by an embarassed owner who thought it was a way to placate his drunken fanbase. Worst decision in team history to let him go and let Idzik call the shots and Ryan overstay his welcome.

SAR I

yea...that's the reason why Marky Mark won't ever see a starting gig in the NFL ever again....

On what do you base this supposition? Geno has certainly shown a Sanchez-like quality of throwing pick sixes. He certainly will stay healthier than the oft-injured Chad, but BETTER than Chad? Doubtful. Chad could read defenses instantly. Smith can't read a defense if you gave him all week.

October is sweeps month for NFL message boards.

Max is just trying to create additional traffic with this thread.

that is like saying a hangnail is better than jock itch or athletes foot

Archived