Mark Sanchez Talk - MERGED

jgb

This is why I went into law to avoid math.

Dumb this down for me using test grades. If a student has 4 As and 4 Cs, there are no outliers, right? Even if that student gets 3 As and 5 Cs there are no outliers. However, if the student has 1 A and 7 Cs, then the A is the outlier.

Sanchez has 2 A games in 5. If his good games equal his not good games then the good games cant be called outliers, right?

From what I have seen, sanchez had 1 gawd awful performance vs my Pack

He played very well vs Texans coming into game cold and winning game on road, 1 pick was on WR. Played well again vs Panthers on MNF and very good again on national stage vs Pokes. Tenn was another solid performance. The outlier game is the Packers game so far.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumb this down for me using test grades. If a student has 4 As and 4 Cs, there are no outliers, right? Even if that student gets 3 As and 5 Cs there are no outliers. However, if the student has 1 A and 7 Cs, then the A is the outlier.

Sanchez has 2 A games in 5. If his good games equal his not good games then the good games cant be called outliers, right?

If putting up Paul Hackett numbers in Chip Kelly's offense is the top of the curve, who really gives a sh*t?

If it was so easy to run Chip's system, Vick would still be an Iggle

One, no he wouldn't. Two, Vick was just as efficient as Sanchez is as a passer and put up rushing numbers to boot. Three, if Vick is the standard now, then we're burying the bar so far underground that Consuela could trip, fall, land in a ditch, and still clear it.

This is all true.

Sanchez doesnt look any different to me. This is the 2010 Sanchez with more weapons and better coaching. Im just trolling those who insist that Sanchez has always been awful.

The people who should be trolled are the ones who always insisted that Sanchez was already and would always be a terrible QB, who are now using a couple decent games under a different coach to condemn the staff here. 

No doubt that the Jets handled Sanchez' development poorly, but there's also little doubt that when a junior QB with 16 starts enters the NFL, he's gonna struggle. It's not entirely surprising that a kid who does have some talent is starting to get it together in his sixth year in the league. And even then, he hasn't exactly shown that he's over his tendency to turn the ball over. Really, he's not even at the level of Nick Foles, yet. This new narrative that the Jets somehow gave up on him prematurely is pretty funny, too. The coaching staff screwed up, the front office office screwed up by giving him that ridiculous extension, and Sanchez himself screwed up by coming out early (although, it obviously got him paid). 

I always liked the kid, and always thought he might eventually be able to get it together. Be a serviceable game manager, anyway. It's a little premature to say he's there yet, however. He's still throwing interceptions and fumbling the football at roughly the same rate he did with the Jets. 

If putting up Paul Hackett numbers in Chip Kelly's offense is the top of the curve, who really gives a sh*t?

So now passing for over 300 yards is considered Hackettian , what's he supposed to do throw for 500 a game. If one of our Qb's threw for 300 yards consistently we'd be throwing them a parade. 

Bottom line is we had/have (2009/2010, 2014) offensive weapons too bad our run the ball win by defense HC has no inclination to use them. All he wants outof   the offense is to not commit turnovers.

There seems to be so much support for Sanchez in this thread. I wonder where that support was when he was being let go.

He was horrible in Rex's 2011-2012 version of the G&P any QB would have . After all he threw to the Hofer's Chaz Schillens, Mardy Gilyard, Stephen Hill , Jason Hill , Jeff Reuland. 

When we had offensive weapons like in 2009-2010 and 2013-2014 Rex's neutered down approach renders them useless. 

Many claim if Rex only had a QB he would have won a SB. I contend if only we had a different HC we would have won a SB. 

So now passing for over 300 yards is considered Hackettian , what's he supposed to do throw for 500 a game. If one of our Qb's threw for 300 yards consistently we'd be throwing them a parade.

The quarterback for the Eagles threw for 217 yards and a touchdown and you lunatics are wiping your chins. I can only imagine what it'd be like if we had a quarterback that consistently put up three bills.

The quarterback for the Eagles threw for 217 yards and a touchdown and you lunatics are wiping your chins. I can only imagine what it'd be like if we had a quarterback that consistently put up three bills.

Exactly , yet Chip's QB's put up 300 consistently including Sanchez - what's that say about our coaching and offensive philosophy. 

Fair enough, as someone who went into math to avoid doing law, I will do my best to dumb this down with no numbers:

I tend to look at things comparatively. That’s the beauty of replacement statistics, because they measure what another average-level quarterback could do given the same circumstances, players, coach, and system. In that category, Sanchez has faired poorly. This is mostly because of the turnovers. Most gay math done on football has shown that QB turnovers have as significant an impact on games as anything; even one can cost a game, two is disastrous. Thus, averaging two per game means the rest of the team has a lot of slack to pick up, and tanks the advanced numbers of a quarterback. To reiterate, this is because what these numbers measure is impact.

Regarding the Dallas game, this is an instance where the conventional line proves to be a useful tool in 2014. Kelly threw less, a lot less, which would be meaningless if not for the fact that he’s always at the top of the league in attempts every week. So at that point, a numbers guy sits back and tries to put the qualitative puzzle together between the conventional and advanced lines: Given Sanchez’s performance this season, it means one of two things: Either Kelly, king of throwing, just randomly chose to run the ball over 3/5 of the time against one of the worst pass defenses in the league, or he toned it down because there is only so much you can do for a quarterback who is turning over the ball twice per game.

What these two things mean is that Sanchez’s impact on Philadelphia’s wins, when compared to what a different quarterback of average ability could accomplish in the same circumstances, system, and with the same players and coach, is minimal. What reinforces this notion is that these are numbers earned in years past. When Sanchez is asked to do more, turnovers increase and the team fairs poorly (i.e. Sanchez in 2011 and 2012). Thus, in the aggregate, this season is par for the course in both the conventional and advanced categories.

In other words, the thing to be upset about in all of this is not that the Jets let go of Sanchez, but that they didn’t fire Rex after 2012 when he deserved to be fired in order to hire Chip Kelly. The guy has turned over three quarterbacks in two years, none have lit the world on fire, but the offense hasn’t missed a beat. That’s a coach.

Fair enough, as someone who went into math to avoid doing law, I will do my best to dumb this down with no numbers:

I tend to look at things comparatively. That’s the beauty of replacement statistics, because they measure what another average-level quarterback could do given the same circumstances, players, coach, and system. In that category, Sanchez has faired poorly. This is mostly because of the turnovers. Most gay math done on football has shown that QB turnovers have as significant an impact on games as anything; even one can cost a game, two is disastrous. Thus, averaging two per game means the rest of the team has a lot of slack to pick up, and tanks the advanced numbers of a quarterback. To reiterate, this is because what these numbers measure is impact.

Regarding the Dallas game, this is an instance where the conventional line proves to be a useful tool in 2014. Kelly threw less, a lot less, which would be meaningless if not for the fact that he’s always at the top of the league in attempts every week.  So at that point, a numbers guy sits back and tries to put the qualitative puzzle together between the conventional and advanced lines: Given Sanchez’s performance this season, it means one of two things: Either Kelly, king of throwing, just randomly chose to run the ball over 3/5 of the time against one of the worst pass defenses in the league, or he toned it down because there is only so much you can do for a quarterback who is turning over the ball twice per game.

What these two things mean is that Sanchez’s impact on Philadelphia’s wins, when compared to what a different quarterback of average ability could accomplish in the same circumstances, system, and with the same players and coach, is minimal. What reinforces this notion is that these are numbers earned in years past. When Sanchez is asked to do more, turnovers increase and the team fairs poorly (i.e. Sanchez in 2011 and 2012). Thus, in the aggregate, this season is par for the course in both the conventional and advanced categories.  

In other words, the thing to be upset about in all of this is not that the Jets let go of Sanchez, but that they didn’t fire Rex two years ago when he deserved to be fired in order to hire Chip Kelly. The guy has turned over three quarterbacks in three years, none have lit the world on fire, but the offense hasn’t missed a beat. That’s a coach.

Or Kelly simply saw McCoy looking like the beast he was in previous seasons and decided to keep his swiss cheese D off the field against the very proficient Dallas offense.  And that scaled down approach still resulted in 29 throws. 

Or Kelly simply saw McCoy looking like the beast he was in previous seasons and decided to keep his swiss cheese D off the field against the very proficient Dallas offense.  And that scaled down approach still resulted in 29 throws. 

Sure, there are plenty of hypothetical scenarios we can draw up to evaluate things. Maybe Neo is real and hates Jerry Jones. But that was the first time that the Eagles, under Kelly, have thrown less than 30 times. If we actually did some gay math to figure out why that is, it's more likely that happened because of the degree of turnovers in prior weeks rather than Kelly deciding to take a chance that he never takes on the road against a defense that is extraordinarily weak in the specific area that he is extraordinarily capable in.

he threw for 200 yards in the first half.  the eagles ran it 45 times.  This lunatic is impressed with the coaching.  Kelly passes to get the lead then runs out the clock.  Kelly's offense is widely misunderstood as some sort of 2 minute drill run n shoot pass happy offense.  The beauty of his offense is the o-line play, run game and YAC.  He is a smart football coach.  That is why sanchez is succeeding.  

The people who should be trolled are the ones who always insisted that Sanchez was already and would always be a terrible QB, who are now using a couple decent games under a different coach to condemn the staff here.

No doubt that the Jets handled Sanchez' development poorly, but there's also little doubt that when a junior QB with 16 starts enters the NFL, he's gonna struggle. It's not entirely surprising that a kid who does have some talent is starting to get it together in his sixth year in the league. And even then, he hasn't exactly shown that he's over his tendency to turn the ball over. Really, he's not even at the level of Nick Foles, yet. This new narrative that the Jets somehow gave up on him prematurely is pretty funny, too. The coaching staff screwed up, the front office office screwed up by giving him that ridiculous extension, and Sanchez himself screwed up by coming out early (although, it obviously got him paid).

I always liked the kid, and always thought he might eventually be able to get it together. Be a serviceable game manager, anyway. It's a little premature to say he's there yet, however. He's still throwing interceptions and fumbling the football at roughly the same rate he did with the Jets.

Chip4Life

he threw for 200 yards in the first half.  the eagles ran it 45 times.  This lunatic is impressed with the coaching.  Kelly passes to get the lead then runs out the clock.  Kelly's offense is widely misunderstood as some sort of 2 minute drill run n shoot pass happy offense.  The beauty of his offense is the o-line play, run game and YAC.  He is a smart football coach.  That is why sanchez is succeeding.  

Agree Kelly isn't asking or expecting anything more from Sanchez as Rex did losing 2 AFC Championship games because of it. 

Once in the playoffs, Mark Sanchez is money.

And as we clearly now know, the Philadelphia Eagles are making the playoffs.

SAR I

I guess AFC championship games don't count as "playoffs?"

*Not that those were the only games in which he wouldn't be considered "money".

I guess AFC championship games don't count as "playoffs?"

*Not that those were the only games in which he wouldn't be considered "money".

Sanchez played well in those two AFCCGs.

Rex's D sh*t the bed in both games

And was Foles also putting up Hackett numbers this year with his worse yards per average, completion percentage, and TD to INT ratio than Sanchez?

Did you watch a different game?  

Need a complete effort by the entire team to win those games.

Where did this notion come from that Sanchez played poorly in the AFC title games come from because that wasnt said on JN after either game.

Or perhaps it was revisionist history created after 2011-12 when things went bad.

Archived