Steelers Fans Will Invade Jets Home

flgreen

Steelers fans will invade NY Jets home, could embarrass Woody Johnson as Terrible Towels play terrible team

Twenty-one percent of the visitors to the Jets-Steelers game page on the site were from Pennsylvania — two-and-a-half times more than the average Jets home game — which gives a strong indication that Steelers fans will be coming in droves.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, November 3, 2014, 11:14 PM

80670228zz043-super-bowl-xl.jpgSTREETER LECKA/GETTY IMAGES

Expect to see plenty of these guys at MetLife Stadium on Sunday as the Steelers travel well and the 1-8 Jets give their fans no reason to show up.

The Jets are about to punctuate an already putrid season with an insult for the ages sure to embarrass Woody Johnson.

The front office ineptitude, sloppy play and losses won’t matter nearly as much as the invasion by a Black & Gold army that will make Johnson’s team feel like strangers in their own home this weekend.

MetLife Stadium is poised to be overrun by a fiercely loyal Steelers fan base on Sunday. Disaster looms for a wayward organization with disgruntled paying customers more likely to slash prices to sell off tickets than witness the impending carnage in person. This has the makings of an ugly moment for Johnson’s star-crossed franchise that has hit rock bottom with a 1-8 start.

“There’s going to be 40,000 Terrible Towels in his building,” said WFAN host and lifelong Jets fan Joe Benigno. “The Jets are going to be like the road team. That should embarrass Woody Johnson… If anything’s going to embarrass him, you would think that would be it.”

There are plenty of good seats available for Sunday in the wake of the Jets’ eighth consecutive loss. According to analyst Chris Matcovich of TiqIQ.com, a company that monitors aggregate ticket listings for major sellers like StubHub, there were nearly 10,000 available tickets on the secondary market for as low as $70 as of Monday afternoon.

Twenty-one percent of the visitors

to the Jets-Steelers game page on the site were from Pennsylvania — two-and-a-half times more than the average Jets home game — which gives a strong indication that Steelers fans will be coming in droves. The 1-8 record is reflected in the reduced average ticket price this Sunday. The average sale price for the Steelers game is $172.39, a 28.25% price cut from the beginning of the season ($240.26).

Steelers fans travel like few others. “There’s a lot of camaraderie and good fellowship,” said Steelers season ticket holder Ron Cypher, who has attended nearly every road game for the past decade. “People buy food for each other.”

Pittsburgh’s recent hot play — Ben Roethlisberger has thrown 12 touchdowns in the past two games — coupled with the Jets’ nightmarish season could be a perfect storm for a national embarrassment for the “home” team.

“Obviously these are really tough times for us,” Rex Ryan said Monday. “It’s probably not easy to be a Jet fan right now.”

The mistakes in football operations (see: GM John Idzik) have negatively impacted the organization’s business wing. The Jets have made earnest efforts to enhance the game-day experience for fans, but there’s only so much that can be done. The product on the field ultimately matters most. Right now, the product stinks to high heaven.

The result could be embarrassing Sunday afternoon thanks to a migration from Western Pennsylvania. Steelers fans will kill you with kindness, respectfully rabid with vocal cords that will create a potentially eerie vibe at the Meadowlands. Mike Vick would be wise to practice a silent count this week in anticipation of fighting crowd noise in his own stadium. (How sad is that?)

owners-meetings.jpgSETH WENIG/APWoody Johnson's team has put him in position to be embarrassed if it is a pro-Steelers crowd.

“When you got 20,000 or 30,000 or 40,000 Steeler fans screaming,” said Cypher, “it definitely can have an impact on the other team.”

Johnson, by and large, has been patient during the team’s downturn in recent years, but a partisan Steelers crowd in his house would probably be too much to take.

Who could blame him if he wiped the whole slate clean after the season?

Idzik’s rambling, oblivious press conference turned the Jets into a laughingstock around the NFL last week. A black-and-gold transformation at MetLife Stadium would crystallize the problem for the owner.

“You would think that this would be eye-opening for Woody Johnson when he sees how bad it’s going to be Sunday,” Benigno said. “Because it’s going to be bad. Real bad.… I think it’s going to be 2-to-1 Steeler fans on Sunday. I would be surprised if it was anything different. If the owner hasn’t woken up already, that should be enough to wake him up. As a Jet fan, I’m ticked off that that’s going to be the case. As the owner, he should be upset.”

jets-v-steelers.jpgROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSHere's a lone Steelers fan in a mostly Jets crowd.

Rex Ryan has made public pleas in the past to fans. He once left a 70-second pre-recorded voicemail to all season-ticket holders. Those tactics aren’t likely to work in the middle of this dumpster fire of a season.

Johnson is an enigma wrapped in a Jets baseball cap and jacket, but he can’t be pleased with the past two months. He has promised to reevaluate the state of his franchise by the end of the season, but a stadium filled with Big Ben jerseys and adoring chants for Heath Miller whenever he catches a pass won’t sit well with the boss.

“We’re proud to be Steeler fans,” Cypher said. “We love our team. We love our ownership. We love our coaches. And we love our players.”

The people in black and gold are coming.

Why don't we take a positive spin on this?  Maybe Woody could have some "welcome towels" made up for sundays game.  They'd be half green & white, half Steelers colors with "The NY Jets Welcome Our Fine Neighbors From Steel Town!" written on em.  

I know that would go a long way to winning the hearts of the Pitt fans who would then be on their best behavior.  Plus make Woody look like a champ in the press and to us fans.

I've heard just about enough of the "nobody travels like Steelers fans" canard. Do people really think there's going to be a convoy of RVs flying across the Pennsylvania Turnpike this Sunday? Steelers fans fill opposing stadiums because every city is full of Steelers fans, because basically every Steelers fan who lives outside of Pittsburgh is a front-running yutz.

I've heard just about enough of the "nobody travels like Steelers fans" canard. Do people really think there's going to be a convoy of RVs flying across the Pennsylvania Turnpike this Sunday? Steelers fans fill opposing stadiums because every city is full of Steelers fans, because basically every Steelers fan who lives outside of Pittsburgh is a front-running yutz.

Bc the NFL target demographic is that 45-55 year old fat, beer chugging cow who was just about the right in age in the mid-late 70's?

Who have actually never stepped foot in Pittsburgh. 

T0mshane used "canard" this week, of course OF COURSE dbutt uses it a few days later.

Bc the NFL target demographic is that 45-55 year old fat, beer chugging cow who was just about the right in age in the mid-late 70's?

Correct

Who have actually never stepped foot in Pittsburgh.

Correct

T0mshane used "canard" this week, of course OF COURSE dbutt uses it a few days later.

Link?

Link?

Here:

Ahhh, I agree. However, I was mocking those that formerly defended Rex very vocally by attacking anyone who questioned his ability using the ol' "why do you hate the Jets?" canard.

When he used it I thought, "Look at this dork trying to show off his vocabulary. I'll bet 80% of the members don't know what that means." So, it looks like you're the guy that looked it up and fancied it, eh?

Here:

When he used it I thought, "Look at this dork trying to show off his vocabulary. I'll bet 80% of the members don't know what that means." So, it looks like you're the guy that looked it up and fancied it, eh?

It's an Ilk word. The Faux Intellectual Mafia.

This isn't a coincidence. T0m and are iterations of a cloud-based AI protocol known as Intelligence-Layering stacK, or ILK.

Any Jets season ticket holder who sells out to an opposing team fans needs to have their house invaded by bed-bugs and cockroaches.

No way in hell this should be happening I don't care how bad of a football team the Jets are.

Aren't you the one who has been saying to not go to games? Well people who sell aren't going to games. You got your wish.  

Archived